• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. dcarch

Dinner 2019

Happy Easter and Passover! Instead of ham (too salty) I made SV rib steak . Instead of matzo balls, I made matzo star of David. With asparagus and radish from my garden. On grilled pineapple slices. dcarch
  3. rotuts

Wine leftovers

Ive never heard of Wine Leftovers. is it a new Chateaux ? a Domaine ?
  4. Today
  5. Owtahear

Dinner 2019

I turned the leftover lamb into a Sichuan style Cumin Lamb. It is completely improvisational, and I through in some veggies cause I felt the need. But it worked out well.
  6. gfweb

Dinner 2019

only $5 difference between ribeye and strip?
  7. chromedome

Cooking plain old chips

That's true as far as it goes, but there's always that pesky gap between theory and reality. I found myself constantly having to make adjustments based on the potatoes I was getting from my supplier. Hypothetically they should have been the same year-round (same supplier, same brand, same cultivar, etc) but that's never the case. Sometimes they were perfect. Sometimes they'd clearly not been out of the farm co-op's cold storage for as long as they should have been, and were still in their sugary "anti-freeze" state (and therefore a quick-browning PITA to deal with). At some point in the year there's the switch from old-crop to new-crop potatoes to dread, as well...that requires similar adjustment. I eventually mastered the necessary tweaks (longer soak, lower the blanching temp) but it was an ongoing battle, and I threw out a lot of fries in the process. The worst part? I also had to keep frozen fries on hand because a solid half of my clientele preferred those. 🙄
  8. Damon

Wine leftovers

Wine Digestif / Apéritif 1 cup of water 3-6 tablespoons of honey 1 cinnamon stick 7-10 pepper granules (red and black) 3-4 leafs of Pelargonium graveolens ~ 1 liter of wine. Boil the water for 5 minutes with cinnamon stick and pepper granules. Add the leafs of Pelargonium and furthered away the cooking pot from heat source. Wait until the water is cool enough to add the honey (max 60°C). Stir it well to make a sirup. Mix the sirup with the wine.
  9. MetsFan5

Dinner 2019

@Shelby can you tell me more about the pea salad?
  10. MetsFan5

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Maybe fish tacos? I’m not familiar with the mango sauce.
  11. JoNorvelleWalker

The Bread Topic (2016-)

Curiouser and curiouser. Tonight I cut into the boule. It looked like something @Ann_T might have posted, with the open and pearlescent crumb. I'm thinking my pale crust was due to lack of sugar after the long fermentation necessary to build strength. I still have no idea why this batch of dough failed to mix, and I can't even blame it on rum.
  12. Damon

Chickpea enzyme in bread

Acidently you did a ancient Greek recipe. This recipe comes from Cyprus to Cretan until Thracia. Ingredients Measure Amount Flour 6 cup 660 gr Oil 1 tablespoon 10 gr Chickpeas 1/4 cup 45 gr Wheat 1 tablespoon 5 gr Salt 1 1/2 tablespoon 18 gr Water 2 cup 400 gr http://www.thefreshloaf.com/keyword/chickpea-leaven https://www.cyprushighlights.com/en/2014/08/10/arkatena-omodous/ https://www.thehungrybites.com/chickpea-starter-cretan-traditional-bread-eftazimo/ Add this http://www.sewhistorically.com/chickpea-leavened-bread-without-commercial-yeast/
  13. mgaretz

Dinner 2019

Yet another batch of Blasphemy Ribs. Served with steamed spinach in butter.
  14. This isn't really disposal related... but I just wanted to encourage people to get frying.
  15. JoNorvelleWalker

Ingredients via Internet

I started this thread about sourcing Vacche Rosse from parmashop.it. Oddly tonight amazon was recommending Vacche Rosse for me. Turns out Parmashop now has an amazon storefront for the convenience of those interested in such delicacies.
  16. Though I will put in a plug for Eat Your Books. Not all recipes have made it to the internet.
  17. JoNorvelleWalker

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

I clicked on the Phillips book. Though I have never had Dim Sum. The one time when my family and I went for Dim Sum we all ordered other stuff.
  18. An acquaintance, yes, She contacted me when she was researching her book on regional Chinese cuisine, "All Under Heaven" with a few questions about food specific to my part of China. Later, she was kind enough to include me (under my real name) in her list of acknowledgements, alongside the good and great! Company I seldom keep! She is an eGullet member @C J Phillips , but hasn't posted for a long time.
  19. Chocoguyin Pemby

funnel dispenser

Thanks for the info - I think I'm going to get one of those - FYI the link in your signature does not go to your website - I had to manually input it - what a drag - to find your real website and your selection looks delicious.
  20. I believe the author is a friend or an acquaintance of @liuzhou. I seem to recall him recommending this book when it was first released. I am certain he will correct me if I am wrong.
  21. I am happy to wait. Thank you.
  22. Tri2Cook

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

I have my grandmother's recipe. If I can find it without unpacking the boxes I've already packed for the move, I'll post it. Otherwise, it may be a week or so before I can get to it. May not be any different or any better than what you're using but you'll be able to tell how it compares to the recipe you used. I don't remember having trouble with them staying together but it's been a while since I made them.
  23. Okanagancook

Food Safety Question

Excellent choice.😍
  24. kayb

Food Safety Question

OK. I'm cowardly. Since I didn't cook it tonight....I'm tossing it.
  25. Those look gorgeous to me. Have you ever tried Argan oil as a dresseing/finishing oil? It has a distinctive flavor that complements so many foods. I add it to pilaf, plain rice, couscous, mushrooms, roasted eggplant/tomatoes/fingerling potatoes.
  26. Yesterday
  27. Norm Matthews

Dinner 2019

Dinner tonight was pork chops with a sauce made with red wine vinegar and cream. Charlie contributed the mac N cheese.
  28. Okanagancook

Dinner 2019

@Owtahear lovely cook on the leg. It was quite thick so to get it mostly pink was great. You must have cooked it indirectly for part of the time. Well done...you, not the meat 😁 I butterflied mine and cut the really thick part off to cook on another day seeing we had plenty of meat. My meat was about 1.5 inches thick so I cooked it over full gas and kept flipping it until the temp was 120ish then rested it for ten minutes tented under foil.
  1. Load more activity