• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. heidih

Lunch 2019

My spot for today - selected by a Viet friend - will try to stop eating long enugh to take pics https://menupages.com/pho-hue-oi/4051-inglewood-ave-ste-101-redondo-beach
  3. Ann_T

Dinner 2019

Inspired by @Franci, I tried my hand at Pizza in Teglia last night. Two pizzas one for Matt topped with potatoes and a second one for Moe and I, that was divided in thirds for three different toppings. Crumb shots posted to Pastry and Baking.
  4. Hi @rotuts, I googled "Pork Chef's Prime Roast" (with quotes) which brought me to this which was, in 2014 as well as 5 years later, a complete mystery! The scraps were given to the birds so no photos this time, but I will try to remember to show you the results of my labours next time.
  5. stephen129

Chai Tea

Does anyone know if these recipes are similar to the ones you get in coffee shops? I'm trying to recreate what I get in places like Pret a Manager (in the UK). Is the only way to do it with whole spices? Are there any teabags that would be comparable? I bought some Monin Chai syrup, but it only really has syrupy sweetness, not the nice flavour from the spices.
  6. Not to me - they must be Canadian breakfast sausages!
  7. heidih

Lunch 2019

The eggplants I bought last week were giving me the evil eye - will riff on this. Thanks
  8. interesting Tj's stuff men mentioned here : https://kirbiecravings.com/trader-joes-october-edition-6/ Om not so keen on so much pumping , but .....
  9. shain

Dinner 2019

Curry of chickpeas, okra, paneer. Flavored with caramelized onions, coconut, fenugreek, chili, cumin. A fritter of vegetables, chickpea flour, cumin, coriander. Yogurt, home made mango chutney.
  10. Today
  11. just a comment ; those sausages don't really look lille " American Breakfast " sausages. could they have been bangers ?
  12. @TdeV I havent timed myself. in doing so , I might hurry , damage my finger tips ( I have a very very sharp boning knife ) and more importantly , not enjoy the knife work as much. it really is rewarding to do a little knife work from time to time w the proper tool , as it adds to the feeling. it can be teasing out chicken or turkey breast tendons , it the work you are doing w the Pork. Id very much like to see some pics of your work and its result . might inspire me to see what's in mu freezer and sharpen that boning knife . P.S.: what was the exact ref in 2014 ? It didn't come up for me.
  13. From the university meat market, I just had another one of these "Pork Chef's Prime Roast" which I did (3.5 lbs in 2 bags) at 131F for 4.5 hours. Then finished for a few seconds per side in a hot pan. I put "Pork Chef's Prime Roast" into egullet search and came up with this post (from 2014), so I'm guessing this cut is something university students have to learn how to do. Per @rotuts' instructions, I cut out most of the fat in the middle. I'm supposing my knife skills could be improved; how long would it take you to perform, rotuts?
  14. Very true! I was wondering why they were printing two of everything. Then I realized it was bilingual! D'oh.
  15. @rotuts - The terrine did sound nice, especially with the pinot sauce, could be a really nice match.
  16. Sounds good. Just too much carrot overwhelming that poor little hunk of lamb!
  17. TicTac

Dinner 2019

Salmon does look to be cooked to near perfection (though tough to tell without seeing a med-rare middle!) Plate looks great, minus those little G3's (Green Gas Grenados!)
  18. @robirdstx the polenta looks amazing too!
  19. liuzhou

Breakfast 2019

Quite common round Chateau Liuzhou. Especially tiny dried shrimp - 虾皮 (xiā pí). Available in all Asian stores which stock 虾皮 (xiā pí) !
  20. Anna N

Breakfast 2019

I have! i’m sure it would’ve been better with the shrimp that @Duvelhas access to but shrimp and scrambled eggs on toast is a tasty meal no matter what.
  21. Along with your skimpy pour, one would assume at this price point they would at least peel and top those carrots. Whole unpeeled carrots and some piles of grated ones on a $30+ plate....😕
  22. @Franci , @Kerry Beal I don't think the dough was much different. I checked out a number of recipes on line both in English and translated a few from Italian and most seemed to be a higher hydration than what I normally use and more yeast as well. And I don't usually add oil to the dough I use for baguettes and pizza. I mixed up a 1000g of flour at 80% hydration with 7g of yeast and 27g of salt and I added some olive oil. (a glug). The dough spent about 6 hours in the fridge. It was easy to work with and spread out easy. Baking in an oiled pan contributed to that wonderful crust that had a crackle when bit into. I divided the dough into thirds so I still have a piece that I put back into the fridge. Each pizza was 600 g. Matthew loved his potato pizza. And of the three toppings on ours, Moe really liked the one with the tomatoes and my favourite was the mushroom. I'm interested in seeing how different the piece of dough still in the fridge will be when baked.
  23. Duvel

Breakfast 2019

I know it looks a bit like it, but the scrambled eggs were actually topped with the shrimps. Given that the eggs were quite soft they sunk in a bit ... If you can get your hands on this type of shrimp, please give the combination a try.
  24. It’s funny - when my dining companion saw me taking menu pictures she looked quizzical - I said ‘but my people like to see them’!
  25. thank you for the menu pics. adds a lot of ' distant ' atmosphere to the restaurant posts. Id start w the soup then the Foie Gras, but the Terrine was talking to me then the duck.
  26. rotuts

Breakfast 2019

@Duvel ive never added shrimp to eggs Ill have to give that some thought.
  1. Load more activity