• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Two words for you... "medicinal purposes." My paternal grandfather didn't hold with drinking, and had no respect for anyone who did drink. He did, however, keep a small bottle of brandy on hand for when he had a headache (a "bad head" in Newfoundland parlance, oddly echoing the French expression). These headaches occurred with suspicious regularity at the end of each week, though in fairness he reportedly only had one glass each time.
  3. kayb

Rolling pin

I have a tapered, wooden one (I believe they're called French rolling pins?) made by a friend who does woodwork. First time I'd ever used that style. Rolling pin used the entire time I was growing up -- and I wish I still had it -- was an old round whiskey bottle with a long neck. As we were a tee-totalling household, I always wondered where the bottle came from.
  4. My favorite is my mother's, roughly 12" + handles on ball-bearings, about 2 1/2 " diameter. Altho I have several in various configurations, including a 3 foot Italian one with knob handles, I always reach for this user friendly, easy roller.
  5. Today
  6. Margaret Pilgrim

Popeyes

Late start to the country meant that hunger set in before our usual lunch haunts. Husband ask's "Popeye's, ?" Never been but why not? Walked into a "fried chicken" smelling dining room. Not in a particularly good way. Aware of the current super-sizing these places are giving their featured sandwiches, we ordered ome spicy chicken combo to split. Making like a Frenchman, husband pulls our his trusty pocketknife and halves the sandwich. Verdict: Gummy, perhaps ersatz brioche bun, thick slab of white meat, thick crust. Husband didn't like the heat level; I thought it was the only saving grace. Dill pickle seemed to be the only veg. A half of this sandwich was plenty for me; I left a quarter of that. Fries were "tasty" but soggy. I think Popeye's is not our thing. Next time, better to suck up hunger and drive 20 miles more to Lodi.
  7. blue_dolphin

Breakfast 2019

All this talk of blue cheese in egg salad reminded me where I first learned of the combination, the EGG SALAD SANDWICH PERFECTA MUNDO over on Luna Cafe. I followed that recipe except that I forgot the onion.
  8. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2019

Arrived late in the country -> just get something warm on the table = .Packaged four cheese tortellini in boxed chicken bone broth And a little wine
  9. I cut into florets and steam or lightly boil with peeled cubed celery root cut to a similar size. Drain well and puree in food processor with milk or cream and lots of butter and salt
  10. I mark the popped lids with a black marker checkmark and the rest...either they didn't pop or I'm not sure...with black marker X.
  11. There is another thread on this topic but I am unsure about how to reference it so just do a search. Meanwhile these videos show you what the texture is of various times and temps...your preference. One thing I have found about ribs...it really depends on the quality of the meat. Get the best quality you can. https://www.youtube.com/user/chefsteps/search?query=short+ribs
  12. How did it go? Got photos to share?
  13. I haven't made sausage rolls for several years and they sound so appetizing. Many years ago I used to make pork mincemeat (for the pork cake) and as there was always a lot of "extra" mincemeat, I would form the extras into little "links" and wrap them in pizza dough cut into triangles to make them a bit fancier. To make the "links" I just formed the mincemeat into a "rope" about the size of Tootsie rolls and then cut with a bench scraper into 3 inch sections. If I was in a hurry, I rolled the dough out into a rectangle, placed the uncut "rope" along one edge, rolled it into a cylinder and cut that into sections. Not at all greasy.
  14. Anna N

Breakfast 2019

Fatoot samneh but made with sordough bread and a duck egg. Still good but better with pita. Must replenish.
  15. Anna N

Sous Vide Short Ribs

I think the beauty of sous vide short ribs is the opportunity to choose the consistency of the end product. Short ribs cooked to be steak-like are a revelation.
  16. I agree with roasting rather than boiling. The degree of browning is a matter of personal taste, I think. I prefer lots of it, but I can imagine that if serving with a delicate meat, eg fish, one would want a more subtle flavor.
  17. gfweb

Sous Vide Short Ribs

To me, SV short ribs are very different from braised.Equally tender, but a very different taste. I prefer the braised in red wine with aromatic veg. SV short ribs are tasty meat, but braised is more than the sum of its parts.
  18. liamsaunt

Dinner 2019

Pot pie with shrimp, scallops, peas, and fennel
  19. You can find some discussions and explanations in this thread. Teo
  20. Nicolai

Dinner 2019

Artsy Farsty private dinner..... We had a nice dinner with a modern French styling prepared and served by a private Chef and we ate everything including the kitchen sink. First the printed menu as it makes things look more posh: Started with a salad or should I say une salade or Premier Plat which makes it even more pompous. The assaisonnement was perfect to work with the watermelon - Goat cheese and Passion fruit. This was followed by a medley of sea food and cut with a Sorbet of Soursop and Yuzu pearls which was heavenly The main were a kind of surf and turf which I personally find ridiculous. Filet Mignon and a Josper Prawn are too far away in taste and I do not see the point. They were both nice but there was only a single sauce which was for the Filet Mignon. Two dishes on the same plate. No dice for me. and finally the kitchen sink dessert and we had to roll back home.... The winners were the salad and the Sorbet.....
  21. My opinion is... don't Mash. I would Roast as @liuzhou suggests but then blend/blitz with your additives. I prefer Cauli Mash totally smooth, I don't mind a lump or two in good ole Mashed Pots, Lumpy mashed Cauli just reminds me its not the real thing. 😅
  22. CantCookStillTry

Dinner 2019

Red Thai Curry on the Bubble. I use the Mae Ploy Red Paste, but have to double the meat because my mens are carnivores and prefer Bites to Broth.
  23. There are a hundreds comments across dozens of threads about cooking beef short ribs by sous vide. I hope the admins dont mind me starting a thread dedicated to this topic to help consolidate some of the knowledge out there. I just picked up a ChefStep Joule this past week and want to break it in cooking some short ribs that are in the freezer. The times and temperatures I have seen vary wildly. What is the consensus here? Are their any good recipes I should check out? Right now my plan is to follow the information on Modernist cuisine's website and cook the ribs for 72 hours at 62c. I will give it a dry rub before going in the bag https://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/72-hour-braised-short-ribs/. I will then place them on the grill with barbecue sauce for a quick sear. This is subject to change based on new information from the peanut gallery. Thanks!! Dan
  24. Not a specific recipe, but keep it away from water. Boiled or steamed are insiped. Stir-fry or roast then mash. Garlic, bacon of some sort. Good to go!
  25. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

A fresh bowl of Momofuku ranch.
  26. Hello! I just have a quick question. Usually, I've been using an airbrush to color my molds. I've had to increase my production recently so, I purchased a Grizzly mini HVLP spray gun with metal cup. I've read that people usually leave it a warmer so that the cocoa butter doesn't set too quickly while spraying. Still though, on the first couple of times I've tried to use my spray gun, I've been finding that this little filter gets (picture shown) clogged first. I just wanted to ask if everyone that uses a spray gun leaves this on or is it okay just to leave it off? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
  27. Hello everyone! Could anyone please help me troubleshoot my soft butter caramels? I made two separate batches and let them sit over night. I cut and wrapped all of them, but the next day I found one of the batches looking like the caramel on the left, leaking butter. Any advice on what could have caused this? Any help is appreciated.
  1. Load more activity