• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Chocolate is a suspension of solids in a continuous fat phase. If you add lecithin to chocolate, you risk that a good amount of it does not end up being dissolved in the cocoa fat phase, thus becoming ineffective. If you dissolve it in cocoa butter then add this to the chocolate, then you don't run this risk. In your first messages you wrote that if you taste erythritol and inulin alone you don't feel any grains in your mouth, they are fine enough. You feel grains when you taste the final chocolate you are making. So this should mean that those grains are formed during your chocolate making process, otherwise you would detect those grains also when you taste erythritol and inulin alone. Teo
  3. I've been concerned as well. Hearing a report on the Bolivian problems today on NPR brought it to front of mind. I wonder if internet services there might be disrupted?
  4. kayb

Fruit

I made a batch of muffins one Sunday for the Sunday School group that had tangerines, with zest and chopped-up fruit sections, coconut and almond. The group called them a favorite.
  5. Fascinating. I never heard of it, either. They were, I presume, roasted in the shell? I'd be tempted to try that if I could figure out how to do it.
  6. Why would this make any difference? I think the problem is that I am unable to reduce the size of the erythritol and inulin grains. They remain at their initial size and this creates a non-smooth mouth feel. Incorporating the lecithin some other way isn't going to change this.
  7. Sculputally interesting but impractical at best
  8. Okay, here's my first impression. In order to squeeze the lemon you have to use side pressure which means you need the other hand to stabilize or push back on the other direction. With a wooden reamer the pressure is equalized on both hands. With many cone shaped juicers the pressure is mainly down, so the other hand need only keep the object from moving. I am a big fan of the old fashioned wooden reamer. It is simple and for me gets every drop of juice that can be squeezed out. Some people like to have a built-in strainer. Using the reamer means I just have to spoon out the seeds. Your gadget doesn't solve that problem either, even though it has a pouring spout.
  9. kayb

Breakfast Cereal

Can't get my head around crunchy Twinkies.
  10. That's freaking brilliant. I am so going to try that. My mandoline doesn't get a lot of use, and it would be ideal for this.
  11. Today
  12. There's a market for something like that. I don't know how big it is but it's definitely out there. But I'm not sure how much of that market hangs out here. That would look interesting sitting on the counter and would probably spark conversation from those who saw it but there are other ways to do he same job that are much more practical. As you've probably worked out from the comments above, that tends to be the way the prevailing winds blow around here. Not that we don't appreciate fancy toys, most of us just don't tend to place them above function and practicality.
  13. I'm with above. Looks cute but I wouldn't buy one. I already have more practical ways to get lemon or lime juice. Sorry.
  14. All of above, plus I worry that the "handle" is going to be sticky or wet with lemon juice.
  15. I too love the look but I wouldn't buy one.
  16. Last night should have been cooking outside. We had thawed some of his favorite "superburgers" -- half hot Italian sausage, half beef, with a generous amount of chopped sweet onion thrown into the mix. There's a fair amount of fat in them, so we try to do them outside where there won't be so much spatter. We do them in a pan so as not to lose the fat to the fire. It was not to be. Couldn't get the camp stove to light. There's plenty of fuel, and plenty of pressure, so our best guess is a problem in the burner somewhere. We'll try troubleshooting later. Maybe compressed air through the tubing will clear it? In the meantime, I cooked it atop the stove in the Princessmobile, with a spatter guard to contain the mess. The corn was a package of smoked corn my DIL did last fall. That's gooood stuff. He put his burger into a sandwich, but I didn't bother with a picture. I ate my burger patty with dabs of mayonnaise and mustard. Not very photogenic, but oh, so tasty. Edited to add: we just tried the campstove again, and it lit and ran without trouble. Go figure.
  17. I like the look of it but I wouldn't buy one due to having to store it.
  18. It is cute but it takes up a lot of space in a drawer. I like the looks of it
  19. Hi! I am currently working on a kitchen product concept and was wondering what the people think of it? I am curious in: What is your first impression of the product? How much do you think this lemon squeezer would cost? Might you be interested in such a product?
  20. it all looks Delicious to Me about the gyoza Off the Plate well and the dipping sauce well what if the GTA Coming to ? sorry with this broser I cant psot the Dunk like me emojy
  21. I am SOOOO jealous. The book was wonderful and I've heard him interviewed by Andrew Zimmern.
  22. Super helpful thread. Thanks everyone for sharing their wisdom. I am just starting to offer some wholesale and bumping up against shelf-life issues that weren't really a problem at the farmer's market. Thinking I might follow @pastrygirl's advice and shift away from cream-based ganaches and stick to bars and caramels. Pastrygirl, can I ask about your flavors? I currently only do one caramel (burnt orange) and it's very popular. I'd like to offer 2 more...
  23. The next dish was the Caramelized Carrot Salad with béarnaise, thyme, and bitter & sour greens. "How many of you think a salad has to involve lettuce or some other green vegetable?" he asked, and went on to say that most people do...but that there are plenty of other ways to consider what constitutes a salad, and that other preparations can be made in advance to better effect. As he chatted, he used a vegetable peeler to slice large carrots into long planks. I didn't get a shot of that part, for some reason. The planks were thick enough to hold together, thin enough to bend; maybe 1/8" thick. Then he rolled them into a tight coil, overlapping each plank with the next by an inch or two, and tied them with twine to keep the coils together before they were cooked. This is the best shot I could get of that stage; it's extracted from an overhead mirror shot. He turned the heat on to medium-high heat and added what looked like 2 pounds of butter, along with an equal quantity of olive oil, to a pan. He laughed at our gasps at the quantity of butter. "None of you is a vegan, I hope!" he grinned. Someone commented on the cholesterol, I think, and he quipped that "if you come to my restaurant, you'll eat well. You can worry about dieting some other time!" The fat needs to be deep enough to baste the carrot "steaks" while they're caramelizing on the bottom. After they were caramelized on the bottom, he flipped them and added garlic and thyme to the pan. The basting continued until the carrot "steaks" were fork-tender. At this point the garlic, carrot steaks and thyme were removed from the butter/oil combination. The fat could be used for another purpose. They thyme was discarded. All this work, he noted, could be done a day or three in advance, and then the final steps done the day of the feast. The beauty of this kind of salad is that it keeps well. How well does a green salad keep, if it's done days in advance? For service, the steaks and garlic cloves went into a 400F oven to roast for 7 - 10 minutes. After that the twine was removed and the garnishing / plating began. He put béarnaise sauce on each plate, then put a carrot steak and several garlic cloves atop the sauce. The garnish was a small bouquet of the baby sour greens he used for nearly everything: the greens were baby arugula, sorrel, and other greens I've forgotten. This dish was brilliant enough that I bought a new sharp vegetable peeler ("they're 5 bucks on Amazon," he noted, but I bought one that night at the Blue Heron for a couple bucks more than that) to try making this at Thanksgiving. If it goes well, I'll do it again at Christmas.
  24. liamsaunt

Dinner 2019

I just use regular butter with a small splash of oil in a very hot pan. I also dry them well and salt them for a bit before sautéing. I get my scallops from a fish share so they are very fresh and not chemically treated, which also helps.
  25. That Potato Filling recipe sounds just like my friend's dish. Alllllllll the carbs. Coma here I come!
  26. Going to the Library of VA tonight to (I hope - first come, first served) hear Michael Twitty talk about his book, The cooking gene : a journey through African American culinary history in the Old South, which I haven't read yet - but I have it on hold at the library. Looking forward to it very much - I've read by and about him and his food journey and he is just so interesting and smart.
  1. Load more activity