• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. mgaretz

Dinner 2024

Pizza with mushrooms, salami and baby arugula. Her half with cheddar, mine with moz.
  3. these items are a fine idea. newer iPots have a cord that unplugs from the unit . wonder why iPot ( or others ) didn't do that some time ago. my AF plug does not unplug from the unit. odd.
  4. One of my trainees gave me these today at the end of her 6 month rotation in General Practice.
  5. I only have my CSO and Kitchen Aid mixer on the counter so I didn't need the sliders*. All my other "countertop" appliances live in cabinets and I sometimes manage to inadvertently lasso one appliance with the cord of the one I'm pulling one out to use so I ordered the little adhesive cord organizers (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) that you mentioned. I put them on my coffee grinder, food processor, immersion blender, Philips indoor grill and Paragon induction burner. The grill has a very wide, flat cord that doesn't quite slip under the loop to fasten it at the end but, other than that, they're all working quite nicely. I use the coffee grinder every day and thought it might be annoying to have to unwind and rewind the cord each time but it's not a problem and worth the effort to avoid having the cord drag the citrus juicer out of the cabinet and on to the floor and they're much easier than zip ties, twisties or Velcro straps. I think I'll put the last one on the Instant Pot. Thanks for the tip! * Edited to add that I am the cleaning woman and I'm not all that thorough 🙃
  6. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Finally today I started adding these to some of my countertop appliances. I was worried at first because most of them already had some kind of buttons on the bottom to prevent slipping. However, so far I've not had and problems applying them. The ones I've done slide beautifully and they're super easy to apply. I have about four more to go but I give them a big thumbs up.
  7. Kerala

Breakfast 2024

Prosciutto cotto and gorgonzola grilled on toast. A nice supermarket tomato, olive oil, grey sea salt. Very satisfying.
  8. Flipped through it. I think it’s pretty good, a lot of Indian and Asian fusion going on that I hope to try out. If you need a pasta book, you could do a lot worse.
  9. blue_dolphin

Lunch 2024

Spicy Cauliflower Ragu with Lemony Breadcrumbs from The Cook You Want to Be by Andy Baraghani: I thought this was OK, not great. The cauliflower gets blitzed in the food processor and, in the header notes, he describes the smaller pieces as becoming "velvety" like long-cooked meat in a ragu. Perhaps I should have cooked it longer but they were just cauliflower particles, not velvet. Good flavor from onion, garlic tomato paste and lots of anchovies. Using the tangy, crunchy breadcrumbs instead of cheese is a nice touch.
  10. once you've got a batch of stuff full of loverly bacteria, re-heating is not likely to do it - sterilization, ~270'F for 10-15 minutes after the coldest part of the batch has reached temperature, might do it.
  11. As much as I love JP, that bread gives a bad name to soda bread😂. I realize he used milk and baking powder rather than baking soda and buttermilk, but soda bread should look like this. I also used a pound of flour as he mentions, but 50g. are very coarse Odlums wheat flour. I bake covered in a deep Corningware bowl. I happened to make this in the morning to finish off the rest of the gravlax.
  12. Really old thread, but I was looking through the Southeast section. The Choo Choo has been remodeled recently, and it's still in progress. It's been taken over by a hotel and the boxcars are all being redone. It's looking really nice. But, the prices are going along with it. We stayed at the hotel while it was being worked on. A music venue called the Signal moved in and its a nice place for concerts. They have added some good restaurants. Nic & Norman's and Stir are two that have nice brunches on Sunday with $2 double Champagne and Mimosa's. That area has changed quite a bit. Really good places to eat, nice coffee shops, Chattanooga Distillery is across the street. And a great bakery (Neidlov's) and Italian restaurant (Alleia) are right behind it. I wish they would spiff up the Choo Choo sign though. It still looks pretty ragged.
  13. My instinct says maybe the oil (and other ingredients) degrade with repeated re-frying and maybe it won't taste as good?
  14. Ducks may say “quack quack” when they speak English but in Chinese they say 呷呷 (gā gā). I suspect Lady Quackquack doesn’t know that! S: 鸭蛋;T: 鴨蛋 (yā dàn), duck eggs are my default egg purchase here in China, as they are for many people. Specifically, I buy sea duck eggs from nearby Qinzhou in southern Guangxi. These birds live by the shores of the Gulf of Tonkin and are prized over other ducks both for their meat and eggs. Qinzhou sea duck eggs Larger than chicken eggs, and generally more ethically raised (no battery ducks, methinks) the eggs taste great. The fresh ones are noted for their deep yellow yolks and even richer taste. Duck eggs make for awesome scrambled eggs. Contrary to some people’s expectations, the ducks don't generally eat fish, so aren’t at all fishy in taste. They mostly eat insects and are even used in paddy fields as natural insecticides. The eggs have noticeably thicker shells so less chance of breaking them on the way home from the grocer’s shop. Every store here carries duck eggs. Sea or land. Again in many forms. And in many colours; not that colour is any indication of anything else. They can be white, green, blue-shelled and more but what’s inside is the same. Most salted eggs and most pidan/century eggs are made from duck eggs. Salted duck egg These are alsoso;d individually wrapped as snacks. Eat a traditional mooncake at Mid-Autumn Festival and you’ll bite into a salted duck egg yolk representing the moon. Yolks are sold seperate;y for this and similar applications. What they do with the whites, I don't know. Mooncake with salted duck egg yolk I’m told duck eggs are good for baking, but I’m no baker so take that as you like. I guess, given their larger yolks versus white, some adjustments may be necessary to your recipes. Unlike other birds' eggs these are also sometimes sold roasted, which would please the English poet Alexander Pope who wrote in The second epistle of the second book of Horace: imitated by Mr. Pope. "The vulgar boil, the learned roast, an egg." Learned eggs Finally, S: 吃鸭蛋; T: 吃鴨蛋 (chī yā dàn), to eat duck egg(s) is a figurative expression in Chinese meaning to score zero in a test or competition. Massive fail!
  15. These are good answers, all. I appreciate it. Out of curiosity though, can repeated refrying it extend the shelf life in the refrigerator indefinitely?
  16. Here's an interesting method from Jacques:
  17. NadyaDuke

Breakfast 2024

Leftover stacked enchiladas (see Dinner thread) topped with a traditional egg.
  18. Katie Meadow

Corn Cob Stock

@Shel_B Options above are worth trying, since we're talking little money and an easy experiment. But have you tried Berkeley Bowl for fresh corn? They have had fresh corn, presumably from Mexico, all winter, and usually it's been decent. We bought some just two weeks ago to make corn and mushroom quesadillas. Not as sweet as local summer corn, but worth using in various dishes.
  19. blue_dolphin

Corn Cob Stock

I think frozen cobs would work for this purpose. I usually make my cob broth in the Instant Pot. See Kenji's comparison of a stove top simmer vs pressure cook for corn cob broth here.
  20. liamsaunt

Dinner 2024

Tuesday we had a simple Macomber turnip soup. Last night was chicken, broccolini, and pepper stir fry
  21. Another one from Snacking Bakes by Yossy Arefi. Date and Pistachio Coffee Bars... The picture in the book looks like they were made with light brown sugar but I used the dark brown called for in the recipe. They had a nice chew, and the flavour profile was coffee with a very dark, almost bitter, caramel note. The coffee and coconut combo is a new one on me; I couldn't taste coconut, but could tell there was something different to the coffeeness. I quite like unusual and somewhat challenging flavours like this. I'd be interested to try light brown sugar next time, just to see if the dark, bitter character is the point of difference.
  22. gfweb

Corn Cob Stock

I've made it occasionally. It doesn't take long to cook...and hour maybe. Just water, corn and some salt. I've done frozen cobs and it worked fine.
  23. I do the same for Japanese curry paste.
  1. Load more activity