• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. It was quite a few years ago - back in the days when the Americans were a little hesitant to sell to Canadians. I suspect it wouldn't be a problem these days.
  3. ElsieD

Dinner 2019

Aw, you're too kind. Don't know about stunning, but it probably would have looked better. I have some, too, but didn't think to use them.
  4. scubadoo97

Dinner 2019

The steak does look great but I want that potato. Broccoli or broccolini looks good too. Love carbs.
  5. Okanagancook

Dinner 2019

On an all white plate it probably would have looked stunning.
  6. ElsieD

Dinner 2019

Korean stewed chicken with spinach. Looks terrible. Tasted great.
  7. We've made it. We also got almost "one of everything" to go at Milk Bar Vegas as dessert after our meal at Momofuku. I think we also got crack pie soft serve, but it might have just been two servings of cereal milk soft serve. At any rate... It's a sugar pie. It tastes like a sugar pie. It's good. I was actually pleasantly surprised with how balanced it was, since Christina has a reputation for being a sugar freak and I have reputation for never ordering dessert. My favorite dessert is a proper cheese course with a glass of port. And if not that, then a fruit pie with some cheese and maybe some iced cream. And if not that, then an acid-forward berry sorbet. I'm not the kind of person who wants to mow down on a sugar and flour and corn anything. But I'm a fan of Tosi and a fan of the Momo crew. When in Rome... I don't think "Milk Bar Pie" is a very good name for the product, for multiple reasons. And I cannot imagine taking offense to "Crack Pie," even tough anyone with a brain can acknowledge how horrifically destructive that drug has been (and especially so in the African American community, in part because of garbage and prejudicial sentencing laws that treat crack differently from powdered cocaine). Crack Pie is okay in my book. Just okay. It's nothing to write home about. I don't think I'd make it again, or order it again. And maybe I'd try to come up with a different name, but maybe not. But I'm not a sugar head, even if I did once order (basically) one of everything at Milk Bar Vegas on our way back home from the Grand Canyon. Needs acid. But then again, I acid adjust my juice. So....
  8. That was my first thought as well ... such a lovely sight, especially with dimmed light. Bit of a fairy tale forest feeling !
  9. Yesterday
  10. robirdstx

Dinner 2019

Taco Thursday!
  11. the aroma of the Billies is not that they are dirty-ish after all , the BardYard animals rarely visit The A Spa the male goat aromata is hormonal and secretory I can't say what female goats smell like they do produce excellent milk for cheese ...............
  12. Kinda sad to hear that. I bookmarked the site because it said they can ship most items to most places without trouble. I don't even know if there's anything I want, I'm not up on essential oils enough to be confident about what is or isn't safe to use in a food situation, but I was going to take a peek. But I know there's nothing I want bad enough to deal with import hassles.
  13. My step-daughter had a billy goat for a couple of years. He was a pill....and he didn't smell too good, but she sure loved him!
  14. as far as I can tell Kid or Cabrito , ie a goat that is way less than one year is a TX thing and very difficult to get else ware its delicious and although it has its own taste < 1 year is quite mild. I can only get Goat here , Fz from some ethnic groceries , on the decline as WF is gobbling up their real estate for the Gentry Swells [ ed.: FD I own a very small number of AMZN shares. Go AMXN ! ] I do hope you enjoyed it , and it sells out for a reason in TX Do not , in any way , confuse Kid or Cabritto for Goat. " Goat " is very very full flavored " Aged BarnYard" might be a pointer for you have you ever been near a Billy Goat ? a bit like that and more. that's why its always curried in Jamaica
  15. I like it. (I'm still working on leftovers...) I think it has a distinctive taste - not strong, but you wouldn't confuse it with beef or pork. It reminds me slightly of lamb, but that could be the power of suggestion from my mental association of one animal with the other. It's also lean. I think it would be easy to dry out, but this isn't / wasn't.
  16. blue_dolphin

Camping, Princess Style

So, what did you think of the kid? A dining companion ordered a roast shoulder of kid at a restaurant in Barcelona and that's the only time I tried it. I was somewhat taken aback at the small size of the bones but I always want to try things and it was very good!,
  17. Did you enjoy the goat? I've never eaten it, either.
  18. They almost look like mushrooms popping up from the forest floor (a foraging theme!). Just beautiful.
  19. https://euvs-vintage-cocktail-books.cld.bz/ Just found about this site, it's full of what the thread title says. Should be appreciated by all the cocktail aficionados here. EDIT: it's a collection of old cocktail books, free from copyright and free to download. Teo
  20. Texas is far behind us now, but I have another post or two to share from there. We would like to have visited Laird's B-B-Q & Catering one more time, but they finally managed to sell after some years of trying. More power to them, they wanted to retire! The pits were sold to an outfit in Austin. I understand that Kenny is thoroughly enjoying retirement and Esther is selling her art in a local gallery. The old place is now a private residence. That meant that our last hurrah for our 'cue season was back at Cooper's Old-Time Pit Barbecue, which was no hardship. It's an easy walk from the park where we stayed. I've written about it before, and if you want to see a previous entry you can look here. The pits had the usual tempting selection of meats. I had made arrangements in advance to get a small piece of cabrito (kid goat). I've never had it. It's supposed to be delicious, but it always sells out quickly. It turned out that I could ask someone to set some aside for me. I also selected brisket. In addition to the meat, there are desserts and sides to be ordered, if one wishes. The macaroni and cheese didn't make it into this picture. I got some hickory-smoked bacon, and more potato salad. Once I'd paid for the purchases, I went to get one last large serving of their wonderful pinto peans and barbecue sauce. You've seen those before, so instead I'll show their award plaque and part of the dining area. Once I got home and we were ready to eat, I unwrapped my prizes (you've seen brisket; this is cabrito shoulder)... ...and discovered that there was no way my darling would let cabrito pass his lips. It isn't a question of flavor, but rather a question of cuteness. He has a soft spot for them because of the way his Bedouin friends in Egypt treated them: never to be eaten directly, but instead to be sold in order to buy essentials such as cloth and foodstuffs. He knows it isn't rational, but there it is. So he had brisket, and I had cabrito. (That's his preferred barbecue sauce - Jack Daniels #7 - instead of Cooper's sauce on the brisket.) Some miles outside Llano, on our way north, we passed under this banner. "Oh, no!" he groaned, "I can't get away from it!"
  21. heidih

New house, new kitchen

Lovely bright space. My kitchen designers would lament the distance (too much between prep and cooking but I think your island sounds like the "solution". I think you mentioned wanting to have people so an island with stool space might solve that. I have posted this before. Only image I can find of a former one. (not me) Half was under counter storage and other part overhung and we put stools there.
  22. Check previous post. It was edited.
  23. I have a book "Cooking Light Global Kitchen. I'm curious to know if you would consider that a diet book. I really like some of the recipes in it, tonight I am making Korean Stewed Chicken with Spinach.
  24. ElsieD

Dinner 2019

@Ann_T I checked today at a local store and they were not waxed.
  25. Indeed - even to import to Canada is a bit of an issue. I first discovered this company when I bought Rose Otto. I paid pennies on the dollar compared to what it costs now.
  26. Thanks for the info and for the link, really useful. The essential oils I find here are generic, never seen the differentiation about origin. So I assume English lavender should be milder than the French one, good to know for the next time. They have great prices too, I was asked 120 euro for 5 ml of chamomile essential oil, here it costs $17.40, just a liiiiiittle difference. They have stuff I've never seen too, like magnolia essential oil: I knew they make magnolia pickles in Japan, but never seen this flower used anywhere else. $1 samples are a great idea too, wish more sellers had them. Only problem is that I'll go through import hell if I try to place an order. Teo
  27. I have a well-trained, commercially licensed pandora station that uses Brett Dennen as my starting point. All songs are mid-tempo, mid-pitch, with only about one in 10 being popular enough to be recognized. We've been testing various volumes to try to encourage noise, but not so much that folks have to yell to hear each other. And as for those "golf tees," don't worry yourself too much. Nothing will fall off them. They are simply for serving macaron, bonbon, caramels and such. That area is an add-on for post-dinner.
  1. Load more activity