• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2020

Last of my bok choy, and good it was. Sadly rice is like blood diamonds.
  3. I saw what that guy did with a butane hot plate. Not sensible in either case. Anyone tried using a portable propane burner?
  4. Today
  5. Bacon Sarnie with lashings of HP.
  6. I'm told I am a weak woman. We are getting a stimulus, right? I ordered two Le Creuset pieces on sale from Williams Sonoma. I collect Le Creuset cast iron,* not like I don't already own several.** My yet unborn great grandchildren will bless me, even if my children won't. *volcanique only of course. **five six that I can count.
  7. Dejah

Dinner 2020

Snowed and windy + pandemic lockdown - need comfort food: Chicken, lap cheung, shitaki mushrooms, ginger cooked with rice in a little cast iron pot Black bean Garlic Eggplant & Bell Pepper All made for satisfying combo. Beef Short Ribs in Instant Pot with veg, red vine, and balsamic vinegar. Served over noodles and veg
  8. Did someone (i.e. @IowaDee) mention pita? In fact, that was part of today's baking plan. I had a mind to make pita before all the aforementioned souvlaki and piilaf had been devoured. That plan was only half successful. (I was the culprit, not he.) There is still a half container of that batch. We have more pork and chicken in the freezer. All is not lost. This batch of pita was based on @FoodMan's recipe and instructions here. I say "based on" because (a) I used some of my precious Barrio Bread Mix of local heritage wheat flours, and (b) my nascent feel for breads told me that I needed more water. I kept kneading, and adding, and kneading, and resting (the dough and me) and kneading some more. Finally, it felt right. There is an art, I think, to making pita puff up properly. You have to roll or pat the dough out properly, and you have to have the heat just so. It was hot out today, and hotter in the trailer. I used the camp stove and a cast iron pan. It took time to get the heat right. The first couple of pieces were scorched, For the most part, though, it''s great. I had one of the scorched pieces this evening, and it was still good. My darling was a bit put out when he saw my bread-baking activities. We'd already agreed on his beloved Superburgers for the evening. We'd purchased whole wheat hamburger buns at the grocery store yesterday. He thinks bread is best eaten fresh. I don't disagree: but I really, really wanted to bake today. I think these will feature in tomorrow's breakfast. I wondered a few nights ago whether I'd been outfoxed on the cooking of Superburgers. The answer is no! He cooked them, taking a page from my book of keeping the heat low, flipping frequently, and pressing to check the juices. The burgers were excellent. Shown below: my burger, with mayo and mustard; on the side: the garlicky green beans and a tomato decorated with tzatziki. Vampires need not apply.
  9. Rice tonight for dinner. The Tamaki Gold I like has gone up to $31.00 for 2 kg...and it's not even available.
  10. Report from Berkeley Bowl: My husband went yesterday morning, The line to get into the store was long, and he had to wait more than half an hour before getting inside. He had a mask and so did just about everyone else. People on line were polite and careful to practice physical distance. Upon entering the store everyone was handed gloves. Inside it was calm and everyone was careful. Certain things were packaged differently. No bulk olives, only containers already filled. We don't need flour, as we got our KA shipment, but there wasn't any on the shelves. Nor was there basmati rice, but he did score a package of jasmine rice. Just about everything on our long list was on the shelves. We bought chicken parts for stock and the only shortage was feet; he bought what was there, about half of what we usually get, and for some weird reason the feet were all very small! Were they baby chicken feet? So all in all we did well. Mostly we stocked up on a week's fresh vegetables and fruit, and we now have plenty of soup broth in the freezer for whatever. Tomorrow is one more trip to an entirely different shopping area, which includes picking up a script, ice cream and my favorite rye bread. Hope it's there! Then I think we are set for quite a while. Despite increased anxiety, mostly due to an underlying lung condition, I know I am fortunate. We are retired, used to functioning together fairly well in isolated togetherness and one of us knows how to cook and the other one knows how to bake.. The Bay Area is not doing too badly. We were locked down fairly early, and most people seem eager to obey the rules and to help out those who can't shop or run errands for themselves. The homeless situation in the CA cities is shameful during the best of times, but now it must be really frightening to be without shelter. Stay safe, everyone.
  11. BKEats

Dinner 2020

I mean, there's a lot of chirping about how good this steak is, yet, I don't see a center shot..🤣 Also, I hate sous vide, but, I still agree about the shot.
  12. BKEats

Dinner 2020

peri peri shrimp.. marinade in wine, lemon, smoked paprika, evoo and peri peri peppers.. Cooked in butter, threw in thyme and small tomatoes, some more wine, lemon. the bride told me to tone down the heat. I said, it wont be peri peri shrimp then.. We will just have to use a different pepper next time. Made mussels with tomato sauce and egg pasta:
  13. I thought I ought to do my own experiment. Plastic bag with 1kg of water placed on rack in pre-chilled Vesta. Click image for graph in full resolution. Readings every 15 seconds. Time from +20C to -30C was 90 minutes. Timer traceable to NIST.
  14. @RWood - that is the most beautiful wafer paper I've ever seen!
  15. I think about Steven often. He was a friend and a mentor, and one of the smartest, funniest, warmest and most generous people I have ever met. I remember fondly the times we spent together in NC, at several Heartland Gatherings and in my hometown of Chicago. I help run a local food discussion forum here, and hardly a day goes by when I don't wonder how Steven would have handled one situation or another there. Frankly, it'd be way beneath him but still, I know he would have happily given me guidance if I were able to ask him for it. What a loss that he's not here with us. They say only the good die young. In Steven's case, that was certainly true. Here's a shot of Steven, Ellen and PJ at the Rock & Roll HOF in Cleveland in August of 2011, where a bunch of us met up for a Heartland Gathering . . . RIP, my friend. =R=
  16. BK, I've switched to online since I'm of the "stay in" age group. We took a ride across town yesterday and I was gobsmacked by the line, 2/3 block long, outside a hometown market, with a doorperson allowing one in after one out. I can't imagine how long it would take from end of line to checkout. And, as you suggest, no idea of availability once inside.
  17. I can't find an end date for the sale on the Sur la Table email.
  18. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2020

Chicken in vin jaune with morels, asparagus, couscous Tomato, blue cheese
  19. robirdstx

Dinner 2020

Cajun Seasoned and Panko Crusted Pan Fried Tilapia with Goose Fat Oven Roasted Potatoes and Asparagus
  20. I note the Le Creuset store has the same 20% discount as Sur ka Table and Williams Sonoma. Any idea how long this sale is supposed to go on?
  21. KennethT

Dinner 2020

Tried my hand at Indian-ish tonight. This is sort of South Indian with the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Most S Indian is vegetarian, but I added some boneless chicken thigh. I made it way too soupy... Tasty but too much liquid.
  22. kayb

Dinner 2020

Thai fish cakes, coconut rice, vaguely Asian slaw. Not bad, not great.
  23. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2020

Smart man, your nephew.
  24. Yesterday
  25. liamsaunt

Dinner 2020

Tonight's dinner. Most of us had a coconut cauliflower curry with Indian flavored braised cabbage and maharajah rice, with flatbread My nephew won't eat any of that so I made him penne with a wild boar ragu using a package of D'Artagan wild boar sausage I found in the freezer. The sauce made enough for two meals for him. I've been cooking two, sometimes three, different meals for dinner every night because of allergies and food dislikes in my group quarantining together. It's not old yet but I can see it becoming so as this drags on. We've made it a month together without any food battles so that is good, and it is not like I have anything else to do other than pace around the house....
  26. TdeV

Food funnies

Wait, @rotuts, aren't you a Zinfandel guy?
  27. I live in Brooklyn New York.. This is important in terms of the shopping habits of places vary. Most people do not have a freezer chest, let alone a full size fridge and freezer. We do daily shopping for the most part. So, it's been a major adjustment for people to even have to think more than a day ahead. I can only imagine the waist. A lot of restaurant suppliers are now going direct to the people. Fish Suppliers, Baldor, Butchers even wholesale mushroom vendors are now working directly with customers. Wait times can be really long.. Usually about a week out. I stopped by a butcher today and one had a line maybe 1.5 hours long, the other one was opened but, not taking walk ins but, also, I couldn't call in an order as their phones were off for the day. Alcohol seems to be pretty easy to get. Chinese groceries impossible to get delivered. I went today to a chinese grocery store..Before entering, I was made to purchase a mask for a dollar.. I had seen an hour plus line the other day but, during a rainstorm today it was empty.. But, so were the shelves and most of the stock.. Oddly, all the workers there were hispanic and all the chinese fish guys and grocery store workers were gone.. That was odd. The fish section was empty, a lot of the frozen food was gone..
  1. Load more activity