• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Tonight I made a one-bowl yellow cake (200 g sugar, 2 eggs, vanilla; creamed. Add 70 g oil, 200 g milk, 160 g flour (I used cake flour), 1 1/4 tsp baking powder, 3 g salt in this order. Bake in greased and floured 8-9" round cake pan at 350 for 60 minutes. Adapted from a recipe at Jenny Can Cook.) I've made this before, when craving cake, and while it's not the best recipe, it's decent enough and pretty fast to put together. I forgot the milk until the end, and mixed the cake using a whisk because I couldn't find my hand mixer. I used kosher salt. The recipe didn't specify. I iced it and just now had a piece because I woke up and can't get back to sleep. The bottom of the cake is salty. What could be to blame, here?
  3. mgaretz

Dinner 2019

Pork loin chop with grilled rainbow carrots and asparagus.
  4. Pork loin chop on the PAG, along with rainbow carrots and asparagus. The chop was great, as were the veggies. I didn't prep the chop at all, just glazed with some maple syrup and bourbon after the flip. The veggies were tossed in some EVOO with salt, pepper, garlic and pineapple flavored white balsamic. Chops were 13 minutes as were the carrots - asparagus was 6 minutes. There's hope for the grill yet!
  5. Dante

Dinner 2019

Tonight's dinner:sweet and sour tempeh over soba
  6. I live in now and have often lived in Korean heavy areas. Perilla or shiso is a constant. Love it. My local independent garden center sells the plants as well. Usually the green but often the purple. Now have craving...
  7. I sampled the pumpkinbread. It also had a leftover teaspoon of Swiss Miss cocoa! Really nice. I've housed it in the dead microwave (mice!) and will portion out tomorrow, A little change can be nice. I was thwarted in my other plans cuz no citrus in house and no outdoor lights - so onward tomorrow I really enjoy the folks who anticipate the goodies. Makes it all worth it.
  8. Today
  9. 紫苏杨梅姜 (zǐ sū yáng méi jiāng) means "purple perilla, bayberry, ginger" and that's what we have here. 紫苏 (zǐ sū), known in Japanese as "shiso", is Perilla frutescens. 杨梅 (yáng méi) is Myrica rubra and 姜 (jiāng) well, you know what ginger is. The yangmei are slightly, but pleasantly tart, the ginger is spicy and the perilla adds a herbal note. Fresh Yangmei
  10. 😂 😂 😂 I must’ve been reading / trying to think of something else and posting at the same time (or having some sort of medical event LOL) when I posted - forgive, please! I am starting the push for my Christmas baskets and reading / checking recipes / ingredients / etc and am a little frazzled 🤣 I am checking your link, though and it’s making me more frazzled 😂 ... but some good stuff there - I’ve always tried to spice up my cooking / baking (duh - like everyone, right? 😉 - a little smoked or sweet paprika in Peanut Butter Cookies or cc cookies etc - and Maangchi I’ve followed a long time - some recipes I still need a refresher on once in a while ... Baklava - oh - that’s sounds so good! have not made that in a long time! After the basket rush, I may have to dig out the old recipe and do it again ... This is the time of year, I love to bake the most, I think ...
  11. Absolutely! The following is the one I use for work (hospital kitchen) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LDI8PK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_WRE6DbGRPTPEX And this second one is my go to for any sugar projects https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009Z27WIC/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_HTE6DbJD68AG3 The latter has a longer probe that I find helpful for a deep pot. I've gone through alot of thermometers, I've settled on these, they are very reliable for everyday use,l and give a quick read. But they are sensitive, that why I say don't touch the bottom of the pot, it'll give you a higher reading. Otherwise, I have a thermoworks type k thermocouple, but I feel like I use that less and less
  12. liuzhou

Food funnies

Post Thanksgiving. from the New Yorker. “That was fun. Let’s do it all again in three weeks.”
  13. liuzhou

Breakfast 2019

Bacon 'n Bun
  14. Well it smells good - it is only 9pm in Caifornia but I know sleep is not gonna happen tonight. Balava next as no brown sugar for ch chip cookies inhouse. - baklava next... different temp and one oven so have to wait. No sure if we are talking same Margaret This is who I meant https://awaytogarden.com/spice-it-up-flavorful-new-cookbooks-with-alexandra-stafford/ Gives me time to finish writing a con law sugar fueled article.
  15. I don’t know whether to laugh or like @heidih 😀 - totally understand not being able to sleep and baking in the middle of the night (how many times Mr Cat has woken up to the smell of baked goods!) ... but agree about Maragret’s Post - has me re-thinking some cookie’s planned for the weekend - and I don’t know whether to laugh / cry / be mad 😂 😉 ...
  16. heidih

Dinner 2019

Not remotely funny
  17. If anybody has a recipe for marshmallow that can be cleanly piped into a shell without getting stick to everything and driving you crazy - please share! I make marshmallows a fair bit, plus nougat etc. I am no stranger to the stickiness of it all - So, when i see these cut bonbons revealing perfectly airy marshmallow layers i just think “BUBBBUT...HOW?!”
  18. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

I learned some history. The Roman portion of the hymn I already knew.* I thought possibly the Franks might be the kind served with beans, but apparently not. Perhaps had it been Hawaii. *according to Wikipedia the Lower Saxons cooked their Roman captives. If only they'd had Thermomix!
  19. Oh no - read Margaret's post about Lior Lev Sercarz's Mastering Spice - so I'm thinkin a touch of curry in the pumpkn bread and something different in the cookies. Can't sleep so.... gettin started.
  20. gfweb

Dinner 2019

I wish our Costco had iberico. Nice!
  21. gfweb

Dinner 2019

Stirring.
  22. I threw together a pasta sauce with a little over a pound of sweet italian pork sausage, 2 cans of Mutti cherry tomatoes, a can of La Fiamma diced tomatoes ( I got a *bunch* of canned Italian tomatoes at Cost Plus World Market for super cheap, so I have lots of canned tomatoes), some stored up cheese ends, a little pork broth and a couple glugs of a homemade Worcestershire-style sauce. I used the slow cook setting on the IP to cook this sauce a long long time. It's really good and served it over radiatorre pasta from TJ's. It's rare I use the slow cook setting, but I think its great for a long pasta sauce cook.
  23. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2019

From Franci's sublime to my ridiculous, I went dumpster diving, er, sorry, freezer diving. Three diverse sausages -> + peppers, onion, potato. Husband cased the prep area and remarked, "Dumpster diving?" Maybe there IS something going on here. Seared in EVOO, splashed with white wine and chicken broth, fresh herbs. 20 minutes later = I've had worse and fortunately will hopefully never have the same ingredients OH at the same time again. Lots of leftovers. Oh, well....
  24. I pulled out my standard recipes - it is what people ask for/expect. So tomorrow spiced pumpkin bread and spiced chocolate chip cookies. After that (need more sugar and butter) - baklava and Linzer squares. My oranges are at a stage where i can get some sour and some sweet with flavorfull zest (has rained 24 out of last 48 hrs so they will be plump) I have not ventured to the kumquat (muddy) but hopefuly - good in the baklava syrup.
  25. Franci

Dinner 2019

😂 honestly it’s not me, not anymore 😊, it’s the husband that is going all in!
  26. heidih

Dinner 2019

@Franci Well you guys don't mess around Thanks for the look at your treaures and the results
  1. Load more activity