• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Yes. Ancient storage method. The Chinese for one type of galangal literally translates as "sand ginger" for that very reason. 沙姜 (shā jiāng) -- Kaempferia galanga - sand ginger
  3. Darienne

Food recalls

Thank you as always, CD. It's always good to find out that the UPC code of the possible salmonella sprouts doesn't match the one you have in the fridge.
  4. Today
  5. Fresh Sprouts brand bean sprouts, Ontario only. Salmonella. https://inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-02-21/eng/1582331627441/1582331632510?utm_source=r_listserv
  6. It is to me, though I've certainly received my share of odd looks. At the end of the day a cracker is nothing more than a crisp flatbread, and why should anyone think it odd to put butter on bread?
  7. International Fuel Gas code (which is the model code used in most, but not all, of the US) requires that gas appliances be listed for the purpose they're used. No one makes a commercial range that's listed for residential use. If you have sufficient piles of moolah, you can get an engineer to certify a particular installation. I did some work in a lake house a decade or so ago. the basement kitchen had a full on line of commercial equipment under a commercial hood, with fire suppression. One of the inspectors I talked to thought the engineering work had cost $50K. This, of course, was not the kitchen the owners would ever use, this was for the help. The previous palace had the caterer's kitchen in an out building, but there wasn't a place to put one on the new property. T'his is a relatively recent code chage (probably 20 years or so); it used to be possible to get away with this.
  8. I was thinking that but I think I'm gonna do grillades and grits instead... or maybe just make some pancakes and call it done.
  9. I nearly fainted when I saw this thread pop up! I thought it meant THIS WEEK and that I'd lost an entire week. My in laws are coming to dinner on Ash Wednesday and I still don't have all of our Christmas decorations put away yet. Tuesday we are going to the pancake supper at church. The youth put it on every year as a fund raiser.
  10. This is good stuff. I really like the low sodium BTB beef and chicken, too. I use them to 'bolster' things or to take shortcuts. I really prefer to make my own stock, but - like the name says -BTB is miles better than old fashioned bouillon!
  11. I was wondering something the other day as I was perusing eG and noshing. Is there anywhere else in the world besides the Southern US that a sleeve of saltines and a stick of butter constitutes a reasonable snack? This and @racheld's "things in dishes" are the items that come out when house guests arrive in the wee hours or when card games go on and on. @caroled?
  12. This was very good, but preaching to the choir a bit. The folks who should see this probably would never watch it - especially with it being on MSNBC.😟
  13. heidih

Dinner 2020

I think the next Yotam Ottolenghi
  14. Yesterday
  15. By the way, that’s me with my back to the camera. We were packing up and leaving, this is the Vemeer painting of my life!
  16. @kayb Nah. My daughter sends me a text at 2pm with a count. heres the biggest crowd I ever cooked for, the last supper in our old loft, had 54 for dinner. I cooked everything, had somebody helping with the cleanup in the kitchen the new place I have a table set up for up to 16-18 all the time and with a little reconfiguration I can have 36. If it’s above 20, I’ll know in advance. Usually!
  17. I think there's something up with their wattage ratings. I found a manual for three available models of Vesta (with a 4kg, 7kg, and 14kg capacity); the 240v wattages are 285W, 400W, and 450W, but the 120v wattages for the same models are listed as 210W, 280W, and 250W. That's...not possible. (Really love the Irinox chamber vacuum drawer...but the price is even harder to swallow for that.)
  18. scubadoo97

Costco

Yes you can use the pharmacy as well as the liquor store adjacent to the main entrance without being a member
  19. I love this. There is nothing I love more than cooking for a big crowd, and sitting down and sharing a meal with friends. I assume you have some idea from week to week how many are coming?
  20. Kerry Beal

Costco

Wonder if you can still use the pharmacy?
  21. I'm going to make the kale & andouille jambalaya from Shaya. Just realized that I'm out of the Massa Organics brown rice I'd like to use so I put in an order. We'll see if it makes it here in time.
  22. blue_dolphin

Costco

Being a non-member, I never realized that I could have!
  23. Toliver

Costco

"Costco to Ban Non-Members From Food Court Starting Next Month" Being a member, I never realized non-members could buy food from the Food Courts.
  24. Toliver

Breakfast Cereal

"General Mills charging $13 for box of ‘Morning Summit’ cereal" I think someone at General Mills has been hitting the hard sauce a little too early in the morning.
  25. We stopped in for a drink at Cafe de Jaren - a space reserved by the founder of 'Well Tempered' for the chocolate folks who finished up today, the bar makers starting tomorrow and those of us who are attending both events. We didn't last too long of course because our stomachs must be listened to. These aren't Belgian fries I discovered! My mouth had been watering for the crispy Belgian fries that don't get uncrisp even when cold. Anyone know if they are out there somewhere in Amsterdam? These were doorstops and they have the reputation as being one of the best in Amsterdam.
  26. TdeV

Dinner 2020

Me too!
  27. kayb

Dinner 2020

Is anyone else of the opinion @shain needs to publish a cookbook? I will sign up right now for one of the first copies.
  1. Load more activity