• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. liuzhou

How big is an onion?

I found small onions,
  3. A few days ago, I was muttering on @Shel_B's How big is an onion? topic about only being able to find bowling ball sized onions. Someone in my local supermarket must have read that. Today, they were stocking these. Mini red onions (the default type here). i have had them before, but not regularly. I use them like shallots. ¥11.98 / $1.65 USD per kg.
  4. I paid a visit to one of Berkeley's food institutions today: Monterey Market. It's a small, long-standing market known primarily for produce, with crowded aisles lined with produce items one might not find elsewhere. Among other things, I wanted some apples for eating out of hand and to use for making apple butter, which I've not made before and which I have but only the vaguest recollection of eating. After thinking about the type of apples to use, I decided on Honeycrisp and either Jazz or Pink Lady. When I got to the apple bins I found something I'd not seen before: WildTwist® apples. They are a hybrid and relatively new to the market. They were developed in 2002 by Regal Fruit International, an apple breeding company based in Washington State. They are a cross between Cripps Pink (Pink Lady) apples, the male parent, and Honeycrisp apples, the female parent. I bought a bunch and tomorrow I'll start experimenting with them, including having one for breakfast. Here's some propaganda, including markets where they can be found: https://www.wildtwistapples.com/ And more detailed information can be found HERE Perhaps you'll share your thoughts about these apples if you've had them.
  5. Not sure if this is the correct topic to post in, but I am curious about the trending mochi donuts and “Korean hot dogs”. The hot dogs seem like the ultimate late night weekend snack but I haven’t tried them or the donuts. Has anyone else? This small chain is local to me: https://www.mochimoly.com
  6. You can use a 1:1 mixture of sugar (e.g. icing sugar, but regular will do as well) and starch (e.g. corn starch).
  7. I don't know, but the images are from a wholesaler's catalogue. There is a minimum order of 50 for some of them, so I suppose if someone wanted to buy / sell them internationally, it would be possible.
  8. Honkman

Dinner 2024

Thai-Italian fusion (which actually worked nicely) - Chard-Curry-Lasagna - chard leaves and stalks sautéed with onion, garlic, ginger, diced tomatoes and red Thai curry paste. In addition, a béchamel sauce made with flour, milk, heavy cream and red Thai curry paste. The lasagna was topped with chopped cashew nuts and parmesan
  9. What would be an alternative to Sahnesteif, ideally something that can be found in the kitchen already without having to buy an equivalent product.
  10. However I think designers are getting a bit campy with the food themed accessories worn by people who are likely on the ozempic train. Instead of eating what you’d want, just wear accessories if the foods people deny themselves. It’s a conundrum.
  11. You’re all right, it isn’t new aka the “Meat Dress”
  12. Are these sold internationally? Some of them would be great to put on a luggage tag!
  13. Thank you sharing this, her jewelry is awesome!
  14. You have summoned this obligatory video on how to cut a tri-tip.
  15. Okanagancook

Dinner 2024

The rub does have some spice elements with the three different types of peppercorns, mustard seeds and the ancho all of which might be a good fit for both of you.
  16. YvetteMT

Dinner 2024

I'll go find that post. This time i used Kinder woodfired garlic on it. I'm a fan of just s&p, partner prefers a bit more oomph.
  17. I should add that you MAY need additional salt. I usually lay down some salt then apply the rub.
  18. Okanagancook

Dinner 2024

The rub I just posted on the tri tip question would be really good on your elk too. Next time you take a photo maybe a shot of the inside would just send us over the moon.😆
  19. This is my favourite. Just made up another batch for this summer. It can be kept in a pepper grinder. Grind it fresh each time. Or if you don’t have a spare grinder kicking around I just use my spice grinder each time making sure to get a spoonful including all the individual spices. 1/3 cup. Coarse sea salt 1/4 cup whole black peppercorns 1/4 cup whole white peppercorns 1/4 cup Szechuan peppercorns 1/4 cup dried onion flakes 3 Tablespoons coarse granulated garlic 2 Tablespoons yellow mustard seeds 2 Tablespoons coriander seeds 1 Tablespoon crushed or flaked Ancho pepper 1 Tablespoon dill seeds (I leave these out as I dislike dill) give it a good mix. this makes a lot so I usually make half a recipe. hope you make it, it is delicious
  20. YvetteMT

Dinner 2024

Partner got 2 elk last fall.
  21. Okanagancook

Dinner 2024

Elk is such a wonderfully tasty meat. Did you bag it yourself?
  22. YvetteMT

Dinner 2024

Elk backstrap (medrare), green beans with bacon.
  23. YvetteMT

Dinner 2024

My favorite type of dinner! Gorgeous @johnnyd
  24. Yesterday
  25. Nyleve Baar

Passover 2024

Update on this year's Ferret Roll. Delicious and thankfully ferret-fur-free BUT when we left the dining room to clear up after dessert, our dog had her way with what was left of the cake which was still on the table. Oh well.
  26. Captain

Dinner 2024

Time to test the house smoke alarms.. Flank steak mushrooms and chips. Working.. And delicious.
  27. Probably gonna use Meathead’s recipe in his book. But I was thinking of a good seasoning or rub. What would be good in you guys eyes? Also is there a particularly good sauce to try with this?
  1. Load more activity