• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. lindag

Pan Frying a Burger

Your range looks brand-new!
  3. Another consideration, the BS is pretty electronic-free. Fewer things to go bad
  4. Today
  5. Sure, I meant the company is American not the chips (crisps). They tailor their flavours to the target territory - pehaps someone thought the Chinese were dying to eat a flavour they were(n't) used to! Not that any flavour of chips (crisps) ever taste of their description. I wonder if they still do luosifen flavour. They never did in Liuzhou! Weren't that dumb.
  6. weinoo

Pan Frying a Burger

The exhaust here is also recirculating, and at high speed 600 CFM. What's nice about it is the first level of filtration can be put in the dishwasher; I do this like every 2 weeks. Inside there's a high-quality charcoal filter, which really works well on keeping the odors down (I change that one like every 6 months). But I haven't cleaned my top open shelves in a few years, and I can pretty much guarantee they're covered with crud. And just being here in NYC, there's a lot of other stuff the comes in through the windows, and ends up everywhere (to say nothing of the cat hair).
  7. While Lay's is an American brand, I don't think I'd find Lemon Chicken flavored potato chips (crisps) anywhere here, other than in Chinatown and it's been imported from overseas!
  8. KennethT

Pan Frying a Burger

I've added extra grease filtration to my over-burner vent. Because I live in a relatively small apartment with the kitchen open to the rest of the space, I really wanted to minimize the aerosolized grease that not only smells for days but eventually leaves a sticky residue everywhere. So first, I upgraded my vent to a 600CFM model which can suck up any smoke faster than it can be made by the food. It is much stronger than a standard kitchen vent which is usually around 250CMF. Does it make a lot of noise? Sure it does, but I only turn it up when doing something that would make a lot of smoke like high heat stir frying which doesn't take a lot of time. The next step depends on whether or not your kitchen vent vents outside or is recirculating. If it vents outside, that's all you need to do - get the air out as fast as possible. I have no access to an outside vent so mine is recirculating. So here I've had to take some extra steps. If you remove the original grease filter from the vent (mine are baffles, but many use the coarse steel wool type) you will see the fan motor inside the vent housing. I add a couple layers of steel wool grease filter to both intake sides of the fan. If your fan is a long barrel type rather than a short/squat version, you might only have 1 intake to the fan. So that's the secondary grease filter. After months of use, you see plenty of grease buildup on this secondary filter - which would have been in your air and deposited on anything in its path. Finally, I put a tightly woven cloth bag over the vent exhaust - make sure it fits tightly to the exhaust pipe. This catches the last little bit. After all this, will you still have the lingering aroma of cooked beef? Somewhat, as some aroma particles are tiny and fit through the pores of most things. Sort of like when you presmoke some food and then put in a plastic bag and cook sous vide, the bath water will smell like smoke afterwards as some of the aroma particles are so small they go through the pores of the plastic bag. But, you won't have to clean grease from your cupboard doors or, in my case, my TV, couch, piano, walls and everywhere else!
  9. for me , TJ's has excellent dried fruit , w a large selection . supermarkets near me do not one exception : they used to carry dried cranberries that were both organic and not. they D/c'd the in-organic un sweetened . now only organic. they are expensive. I live near large cranberry fields. there are several brand names in \supermarkets , none carry unsweetened . Nuts are excellent;llent # Tj's , and fresh . good luck finding nuts fresh at a supermarket around here and cheese is 1/3.d less expensive than anywhere else . same cheese . and a large enough selection for me. frozen ' prepared ' items are more interesting that supermarkets. Wine selection is decent , and cheaper than Total Wine . forget about 3 buck chuck . Coastal series , 4 - 5 varieties , decent table wine for $ 4.99 a bottle. and there staff is friendly and gets to know y0u.
  10. Rickbern

Passover 2024

Came across this, a musical homage to the ubiquitous matzo pizza
  11. The Home version is out - anyone else bite at the $300 off? Mine arrives Tuesday.
  12. My house had a 36" Thermador when I moved in. Over about a dozen years it had to be service multiple times. Finally the controller board went and I went looking for a replacement. My goal was to buy a Wolf but the store carried both the Wolf and Viking. I was seduced by the Viking having very slightly more BTUs than the Wolf. I decided to go with the Viking. I wish I had stayed with the Wolf. One more thing for your consideration. A lot of these high-end ranges don't have a self-cleaning feature.
  13. weinoo

Pan Frying a Burger

I don't know that that's necessary. I think ripping hot is really great - if I'm on the line in a restaurant; I don't see the need for it as a home cook. Unless, of course, I'm pretending I'm in a restaurant.
  14. A Chinese friend asked me today what Chinese Lemon Chicken is. I replied that I didn’t know but would find out. So I spent a while online and discovered that it is popular American-Chinese dish, which explains why she (and I) had never heard of it. The local dish, Zhuang Lemon Duck, made using salt preserved lemons, is known within Guangxi but little known elsewhere in China. One recipe for lemon chicken on the internet, described as authentically ‘Chinese’, included sambal oelek which is authentically Indonesian instead. When I lived in Hunan in the late 1990s, lemons were almost unknown but always unfindable. They are easy to find here further south but rare in northern China. In fact, Chinese has no native word for lemon, instead borrowing the English name and rendering a near phonetic version - 柠檬 / 檸檬 (níng méng). Here, lemon sauce is widely available in these small 150 gram jars and used mainly as a dip for grilled / BBQd meats. It is thin and very tart. You could, I suppose, use it to make a 糖醋 (táng cù, literally ‘sugar-vinegar’), sweet and sour dish, but sweet and sour chicken is the rarest of all the sweet and sour dishes available; dishes using pork rib and fish are dominant in that genre. I have no idea what this. Certainly not available here. Lays do have these, though, but then they are American, too.
  15. btbyrd

Pan Frying a Burger

Get a butane burner and go outside. That’s what I do. The problem isn’t with you or your technique but with the inadequate ventilation in almost all home kitchens.
  16. Kerala

Dinner 2024

Keeping it simple.
  17. Just came back from my local store where I had to pick up some stuff. Walked passed the bananas. Regular bananas were going for ¥2.18 for 500 grams. That's 30 cents USD for 1.1 pounds. And the markets will be cheaper. They've been around that price for as long as I can remember.
  18. Hi all. Would making a thick sugar syrup be a successful substitute for glucose syrup in a cake for the purpose of ensuring its moistness? Most people seem to have an almost obsessive need for cake to be moist, despite it never, in my experience, being eaten alone, but with a cup of tea or coffee.
  19. I had a wolf five burner cooktop for some years then upgraded to the 4+grill rangetop in 2018. the rangetop is a big step up in terms of cooking power and feels a lot more robust. The knobs on my cooktop broke after a few years and with the way they’re designed would need replacing quite often. Having said that, the knobs on the rangetop aren’t perfect either - the one for the burner I use most has started to develop a bit of drift which is annoying. Overall I’d get one again as they cook really well and look great. the range of power available on the burners is phenomenal - can go from directly melting chocolate (no double boiler) to a nuclear sear on the same ring. I don’t think I’d bother with the grill though - I was so excited to have one of these, thought I’d cook on it all the time but the truth is I use it less and less. It’s probably been a year since it was last lit. The issues with it are that its heat is really uneven, it cremates some parts while others are barely touched and it’s really messy and unpleasant once you’ve used it. I even bought grill grates for it a bit ago. I want to love it but the truth is it’s nowhere near an outdoor gas grill. Given my time over I’d try the plancha instead. if you want any pics or have any specific questions I’d be happy to help.
  20. &roid

Pan Frying a Burger

I was going to post exactly this. I’ve been amazed with the results of this technique - makes a massive difference to the smoke production.
  21. that's about what the place I buy most of our produce at is charging. They generally have good prices for good quality stuff, with prices that change based on what they're paying. (and for stuff like berries packaged by the grower, often two or more suppliers at different prices.) I'm pretty sure the big chains use banananananas as loss leader, because everyone buys bananas, and they remember where they were cheaper. But, outside a few things, I've never considered trader joe's prices on produce good. The one exception is citrus, which is of reliably good quality, and sometimes much cheaper. (limes are much cheaper at the mexican markets. Got to pick the good ones, though.)
  22. Slim W

Pan Frying a Burger

Chris Young has some interesting videos about this subject and others. I have used lower temperatures now successfully on steaks, crispy skinned fish etc. I haven't tried it with burgers, but don't see why the theory would be any different?
  23. haresfur

Dinner 2024

IMO if your sausage rolls end up just ok, you are doing well
  24. Kerry Beal

Passover 2024

You can't just introduce a story that way and not tell it...
  25. Thanks gfweb, how long have they been installed? Any issues? And Blue Stars 6 burner with the optional grill/broiler inserts is a nice option blue_Dolphin, yours is a cook top with dials on top? I like your idea about the wall stack too... I like Blue Stars combo oven with French doors on top but apparently they are not convection or steam capable.
  26. When I bought my current house, I put in a 36 inch Wolf gas cooktop with 5 burners and am very happy with it. I was thinking I’d love the high power burner and I do but the slow simmer is probably my favorite. I realize that’s not the rangetop you are asking about but it’s my data point. Going forward, I’d go with induction. I also put in KitchenAid electric double wall ovens. They work perfectly but if I had to do it again, I’d do a stack of one regular convection oven, one steam combi oven and a warming drawer.
  1. Load more activity