• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Kim Shook

Breakfast 2019

You mean these?
  3. A friend of mine, Sally, is on the program this season. I thought she was a member of this group but could not find her in a search. If you want to read about what it is like to be a competitor see her blog, https://bewitchingkitchen.com/
  4. Dried ramp powder sounds intriguing. Do you have a link?
  5. I made a 'version of' a creamy ramp recipe; 3 tbsp of mayo Quarter lemon Pickled red onions minced Dried ramp powder Olive oil S&P Came out nice, I anticipate the longer it sits the better it will become esp with the dried ramps...
  6. Today
  7. Ann_T

Breakfast 2019

Got to change things up occasionally and give him real breakfast food.
  8. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

Please tell more about a saj.
  9. shain

Dinner 2019

Take away. Okra in tomato sauce with garlic. Delicious Tabbouleh salad. Rice stuffed grape vines. They make them well, with the rice creamy and the leaves snappy. Flavored with olive oil, lemon and a hint of spice. Labneh with zaatar. Fattayer breads, laminated with olive oil, fresh zaatar leaves, spinach. Baked on a saj.
  10. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

Chicken Tetrazzini!
  11. BonVivant

Lunch 2019

"Good afternoon"? We don't have afternoon in the winter! Evening begins at lunch time! To be sliced for the shredded raw vegs and rice noodles. Vietnamese-style fish sauce alongside.
  12. BonVivant

Dinner 2019

Half kilo Mont d'Or This is one of the two meals I like in the whole world. (The other one is very much the same but with a savoury broth) Steamed vegs (mushrooms, 2 sorts of beetroot, purple carrots), sourdough rye bread, gherkins, and spicy Iberico morcilla/blood sausage.
  13. Yes, I am the owner of A4Box. i came across this blog and read all comments. I am trying to see if anyone is facing any problem with A4Box and if there is any area to improve. I see people enjoying with A4Box and have written detail reviews, but no one has submitted their reviews on our website. This can help others understand about A4Box. i also love photos of recipes that all of you have posted here. I am all ears if you want us to improve on anything. Shoot us email at info@afourbox.com and put it to my attention. I see almost all emails from all customers.
  14. Agreed. The EZ Temper isn’t the first $1k you spend when just starting out, it’s the tenth $1k you spend after scaling up a bit.
  15. liamsaunt

Dinner 2019

Pizza last night, margharita and carbonara
  16. Some suggestions for streamlining without minimum increase in equipment if you are streamlining you chocolate making for friends / starting to get into artisan professional levels. 1. Purchase Peter Greweling's book, https://www.amazon.com/Chocolates-Confections-Formula-Technique-Confectioner/dp/0470424419/ref=asc_df_0470424419/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=311990507415&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8583461089994955786&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007564&hvtargid=aud-801738734305:pla-455468897198&psc=1 2. Purchase enough moulds to shell on batch of bon bons 3. Melt & temper twice the amount of chocolate you will need to shell the moulds. This will make it easier to maintain the heat and temper of the chocolate. This "extra" chocolate is not lost, you can use it the next time you make chocolates. 4. Wrap, label, and freeze your chocolates (following Greweling's instructions for freezing chocolates) in small enough quantities that you only need to defrost one box of each flavor to make up chocolate boxes for your friends/customers. 5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 until you have an inventory of flavors that makes you happy. 6. Follow Greweling's instructions for chocolate defrosting & box up your selection of bon bonds. I hope you continue to enjoy making chocolates. Perhaps you would like to join us (dabblers, professionals, semi pro hobbyists, novices, etc.) at the next eGullet Chocolate & Confections workshop... were meeting in Buffalo, New York May 2020. More details to be posted here https://forums.egullet.org/topic/158984-planning-egullet-chocolate-and-confectionery-workshop-2020/.
  17. Great minds. Same thing we had last night. Along with some kraut and fried potatoes.
  18. To sum everything up: there is little to no way how to make pralines effectively unless you start a regular chocolate production, buy the equipment and produce larger quantities. I do ~100 pralines/ month for friends of friends in my homekitchen without melting tank or anything. Just a microwave I opened this topic bcs I was thinking about starting a regular custom production from my home. Now I see there is no middle between 'for fun' – doing it professionally and/or effectively. Thank you everyone!
  19. IowaDee

Breakfast 2019

Real breakfast food for Mo for breakfast.....what's the world coming to? You have trained me to expect to see steak, ribs or something more exotic! But I'd still be happy to sit at your table for breakfast any time of day!
  20. Ann_T

Breakfast 2019

Made Moe is favourite pancakes for breakfast this morning. He prefers them thin not thick. And swimming in pure Maple Syrup.
  21. Paul Bacino

Dinner 2019

@TdeV So pretty simple/ I cooked bacon, and used some of the rendered bacon fat, and cooked the onions ( yellow ) long and slow in it. Took 30-40 mins then crumbled in some of that cooked bacon at the end, for texture.
  22. Anna N

Breakfast 2019

The plan: duck egg perfectly scrambled with some aged Trader Joe’s raw cow’s milk blue cheese on toasted rye bread. (The cheese was part of a gift of some lovely cheeses from TJ’s). The final product: a sort of omelet frantically forked apart so blue cheese crumbles could be intermingled. The culprit: inattention caused by the urgent need to Google Jacques Torres’ chocolate chip cookie recipe. You know who you are @Kim Shook In the end it was still quite delicious and I finished up the last of the Sugar Bomb tomatoes which were just starting to get wrinkly. P.S. had absolutely no intention of making chocolate chip cookies today or even in the near future.
  23. TdeV

Dinner 2019

Oh, so yummy-looking, Paul! How did you make the bacon onion marmalade?
  24. Paul Bacino

Dinner 2019

Seared Scallops/bacon onion marmalade / yukon mash
  25. liuzhou

Dinner 2019

Matsutake Soup. Fried rice with 晒兰 (shài lán) ham and more matsutake.
  26. Definetely this. It has no sense to work with less than 2 kg chocolate. With 500 g or less you need to keep after it every 2 minutes, pure nightmare. With 100 g it becomes a horror movie, there will be more air bubbles than chocolate at the end.. Definetely this too. Teo
  27. With all due respect to @Kerry Beal and the amazing EZtemper, if you haven't already got a melting / holding tank, I would start with that. I'm a strong believer in learning and understanding the basics before moving on to the time saving things: learn how to temper chocolate and learn what the process of tempering is actually doing in the chocolate, and this will serve you better in your troubleshooting in the future. When you're comfortable with tempering, then you buy the EZtemper and marvel at what it does 😁 As Kerry says above, 500g isn't enough to hold the temperature whilst you work - I usually work with minimum 1.5kg in a 5kg melting tank. Your #1 time saver imho will be more moulds.
  1. Load more activity