• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I have been working on some soft caramels inspired by Kriss Harvey (who was inspired by Jacques Genin and Henri Leroux). He talks on his instagram about caramelizing all the ingredients other than butter (sugar, glucose, cream, salt and vanilla) together to get the right flavor and chewiness. I haven't been able to find a single recipe that does it this way. Every caramel recipe I can find calls for caramelizing the sugar first then deglazing with warm cream. So I've been experimenting on my own (I've gone through a LOT of sugar, butter and cream) with less than satisfactory results. I've been putting all the ingredients in a saucepan, other than the butter and cooking to the desired temperature while stirring, then removing from the heat and adding the butter than pouring into a frame. I've been sticking with basic salted caramels. I haven't wanted to try to do fruit caramels until I get the basics down. Has anyone made caramels the Kriss Harvey way? I'd love to get some guidance or tips.
  3. The store I get it from calls it Chicken Leg Meat.
  4. Today
  5. heidih

Dinner 2020

Green or ripe mango?
  6. crush them into powder via mortar and pestle
  7. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2020

Fresh mozz, evoo Iceberg, Green Goddess dressing (Packaged) cheese tortellini in butter sauce
  8. Robenco15

Dinner 2020

Croque Madame
  9. Dante

Dinner 2020

Tonight;s dinner: mango and veggie curry over rice mai fun noodles.
  10. Anna N

Food funnies

“Trained scientists could parse Cooking with Paris for traces of self-awareness and come up none the wiser.” I got as far as the Slivers but I couldn’t go any further.
  11. Raamo

Dinner 2020

Butternut Squash Tart with Goat Cheese My wife saw this in a catalog, and decided to make it. Next time we'll add some more complexity to the filling, it's mostly all sweet.
  12. Yesterday
  13. Anna N

Dinner 2020

Perfectly simple. Simply good.
  14. Alex

Food funnies

That's a gag gift box.
  15. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2020

I like your style.
  16. BeeZee

Dinner 2020

Crabcakes for dinner, with a side of crabcakes. And salad. Baked them on nonstick alum foil, oiled a little to ensure browning.
  17. kayb

DARTO pans

I use my cast iron religiously for making cornbread and frying okra.
  18. kayb

Dinner 2020

I'd rather be sober in Barbados than drinking Scotch when it's 21 degrees. I think.
  19. Hassouni

DARTO pans

Follow up question for all Darto owners: Do you ever use cast iron anymore? I have a Lodge 12 inch (the Darto 35 sort of covers that), and a lovely old Griswold no. 8, which is comparable to a Darto 25 pan, and I haven't used them much since I became a Dartophile. Anyone else? Like, has anyone made cornbread in a Darto?
  20. Hassouni

DARTO pans

Let's take it one step at a time! I feel like if I'm cooking enough to break out a 27, I probably am cooking for more than one and can bother to turn my oven on
  21. kayb

DARTO pans

The 27 fits in the CSO as well. Just sayin'.
  22. Lucky you. We urban 1-bedroom apartment dwellers can barely fit one, let alone a backup!
  1. Load more activity