• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. paulraphael

Best chicken?

The best I've had is Bo Bo. Specifically their black plume chickens. I don't imagine these are the best you can find at all costs (who knows what that would be ...) but I find they strike a great balance between quality and affordability. The black plumes are a hybrid between heritage breeds and modern chickens. They mature slowly enough to develop real flavor, but no so slowly as to be priced like a delicacy. They're also humanely raised and very well fed, and always sold with the head on (so you examine the eyes for freshness). Last I checked they were below $5/lb, but this was a while back. They have scrawny breasts (but ones that actually taste good) and burly legs. Mostly I buy Murrays or Bell & Evans, since they're at my local store. I consider these the entry level of chicken that actually tastes like chicken. But they're not remarkable in any way. These brands are well-raised, but actually use the same breed that's raised by Purdue and every other supermarket brand ... ones bred to grow to 4lbs in 6 weeks on 8lbs of feed ... or something close to that. Flavor isn't a real priority. At least the good brands don't actually taste bad. Even the very expensive all-organic, fully buzzword-compliant birds at places like Whole Foods tend to be this same breed (cornishX hybrids). At specialty markets and farmers' markets I often see the pure heritage breeds. I'm sure they're amazing, but I have yet to indulge (not counting the gobsmackingly pricey Amish farm heritage turkeys I've splurged on for thksgiving.
  3. pastrygirl

flavored cocoa butter colors

This looks interesting - I know some of us have lamented the lack of flavor or off flavors of additives to colored cocoa butter - anyone seen or tried these? Looks like they can be used either to mix into chocolate as a fat-based flavor or to decorate mo(u)lds as usual with colored CB ... More expensive than Valrhona Inspiration or regular colored CB, I wonder how they compare in flavor intensity, the Valrhonas I've tried were fairly intense. I also wonder what flavors brown, black, and amber are ... https://www.pcb-creation.com/pure-emotion-colour-by-pcb-creation/?lang=en Edited to add: the black/ brown flavors are chocolate, of course! 🙃
  4. I gave them chocolates! Wasn’t going to give up my caramel corn. 🙂. Bob thanks for bringing & making the caramel corn. Yum!
  5. Not very photogenic, but oh so good. Ginger snaps with crystallized ginger. My house will smell so good for days.
  6. KennethT

Culinary Creations

I've been a fan of Martin Yan ever since "Yan Can Cook" 30 years ago!
  7. Paul Bacino

Caviar - Where to start

I think Brownes Trading company is a good source-- Recently had the Hackleback ( to salty for me ) the White sturgeon ( my Fav ) and the classic Sturgeon. But I bought those in Cali.
  8. Paul Bacino

Best chicken?

This gets a fair share of my Culinary group support: https://joyce-farms.com/pages/heritage-poultry
  9. dtremit

The Bread Topic (2016-)

Thanks, Isabelle! I had gotten as far as figuring out that the KAF stuff was "high heat," but most dry milk seems to be sold as "instant" or "non-instant." The only stuff I can find explicitly listed as "high heat" (or low heat, for that matter!) is in 50 pound bags. I have seen people say that "non-instant" dry milk is produced via a high-heat process. I mostly use it for one specific bread, though, so I think I'm just going to try a pound of "non-instant" and see how it comes out.
  10. "Ingredients you can see and pronounce"... new kind of selling point! Teo
  11. Damn, making hard candies with this kind of machine is the thing I want to learn the most! Teo
  12. Today
  13. Toliver

Culinary Creations

Martin Yan also made homemade rice noodles on one of his PBS cooking shows. I remember it because I'm a big fan of Beef Chow Fun which is made with rice noodles. And to paraphrase his own saying, "If Martin Yan can make them, so can you."
  14. Alex

Wine pairing help

I'd go with a full-bodied, spicy Châteauneuf-du-Pape.
  15. The leg from STL to Atlanta the altanta airport
  16. Isabelle Prescott

The Bread Topic (2016-)

A quote from The Fresh Loaf: "Bakers use the "high heat dry milk" to get assurance of the reproducibility of the rise of their bread. The high temperature in the process changes the glutathione to a compound that will not affect the gluten structure. Glutathione reacts with the gluten to reduce the gluten structure so that the dough does not rise as much as it might. You can get the same effect by using milk that has been scalded for ten minutes, i.e. temperature held at 190°F for 10 minutes, then cooled to a safe temperature, say 85°F. You can mix ordinary dry milk with water and scald that, if you wish. You can make great bread with or without scalding your milk. But scalding will deactivate the glutathione in the milk. If you deactivate the glutathione, the loaf will have, at least, somewhat better height. That doesn't mean that using non-scalded milk gives you unacceptable height -- but there's at least some difference. You as the baker get to decide whether it is worth it."
  17. Do you have any idea what temperature the ice cream was when you were scooping it? If it was a normal consistency at normal serving temperatures, then I need to take another look at my data on pistachio oil. I use spreadsheets that I've been building for my own purposes. The last few weeks I've been up to my neck in polynomial regression equations and correspondence with Ice Cream PhDs. Here's your project looks like ...
  18. I was not charged parking....but, then again I gave the front desk chocolates and caramel corn....lol
  19. KennethT

Best chicken?

Which store in Chinatown did you go to? the last time I checked, Bobo had several different breeds on offer - there's the white plume, which is sort of like the normal supermarket chicken, and the black plume which is gamier, and more like the chicken you'd find in Asia - what some might call scrawny breasts and tough dark meat. I like it - I find it much more "chicken-y" than standard supermarket chickens like B&E.
  20. Thanks for putting in a lot of work! What software do you use? The emulsifiers and stabilizer values are one half the amounts from the MC pistachio gelato recipe, in the same relative ratios. The ice cream is not hard. It is scoopable with a spoon. But it's not too soft either. I don't expect to make pistachio again for a while because I'd need to buy and grind more pistachios. But I probably will try a batch of vanilla before my non-ultra pasteurized cream goes bad.
  21. eugenep

Best chicken?

I read on a separate post that the best chicken in NYC is a Bobo chicken. I got mine at a store on Chinatown. The chicken tasted ok and it wasn't super good etc. The Bobo was something like $3 a lb and a Bell & Evans at Whole Foods Organic Air Chilled chicken was $3.99 I think I'm sticking to the organic, air-chilled B&E one just bc the store in Chinatown wouldn't upgrade their facilities so the seller's kit is dirty looking etc. and the chicken doesn't have a package date and water accumulated in some (showing signs of age)
  22. dtremit

The Bread Topic (2016-)

I understand shipping is a significant cost for retailers, especially small ones -- but KAF charges a premium for nearly everything already, which makes the high shipping charges hard to stomach. For things I can't easily source elsewhere, I tend to wait for one of their free shipping specials. Currently trying to find another source for their "Bakers Special Dry Milk" -- have seen suggestions that any non-instant dry milk would be the same thing. Probably going to try some from Barry Farm (via Amazon) and see if I get the same results.
  23. shain

Dinner 2019

Last Saturday night, nachos for the Eurovision. I'm not a fan of the show, but I I barely need an excuse when it comes to nachos nachos.
  24. paulraphael

Experimenting with Almond Flour

Has no one mentioned financiers? I've never made a proper financier, but the batter is just about the most versatile and delicious quickbread concoction there is. Financier batter can be used for anything from petits fours to mini muffins to best non-pound cake pound cake you've ever had. You just need almond flour and egg whites and the usual stuff from your pantry.
  25. rotuts

The Bread Topic (2016-)

I thought Id post this here, rather than start a new topic. I looked at King Aurthur Flour for a certain item, $ 169 . it was out of stock so I called and was directed to a page there that had a newer version. so I though Id order it I gagged when they said the shipping charges were way way over 25 $$. I then looked aournd and found it at Breadtopia for $ 15 dollars less and free shipping. I really like KAF. Ive been to their fine store in VT many times in the past. but unapologetically , they still charge shipping by the total amount in your cart. like the first days of the internet so keep that in mind.
  26. Indeed I told them that our group rate / contract included free parking. The annoying bit is I confirmed the free parking when I checked in but they had forgotten all about that when it came to the final bill.
  27. mgaretz

Dinner 2019

Tri-tip, cooked SV then seared, served with steamed spinach with butter.
  1. Load more activity