• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Cool! Tonawanda — about 150 miles from my place. My great-grandfather was born there.
  3. Today
  4. gfweb

Dinner 2019

Cauliflower is a lacuna in your otherwise excellent palate. But I know better than to suggest you just haven’t had it prepared right. No recipe will get a pea or lima bean paste my lips. I respect your lacuna.
  5. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

No. And not Italian either. Seriously, I have more impressive canned and jarred tuna but I would not serve it in this fashion. There is a time and a place for everything. OK, well maybe not for cauliflower.
  6. Either mixer should have no problems mixing cookie dough. Go with whichever mixer you want to use when the cookie mood strikes. Now, if you triple your normal recipe, go with the Ankarsrum.
  7. gfweb

Dinner 2019

Was it spanish tuna?
  8. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

Canned tuna, presented without shame. Momofuku ranch dressing not shown.
  9. RobertM

Shortbread

I just made a batch of shortbread from a recipe given to me by an English friend, almost your formula but with Semolina in lieu of the ground rice. Best shortbread I’ve ever had.....hands down.
  10. Well, I somehow missed last year completely. I'm skipping along reading and "liking" everything and suddenly realize that it all said December 2018! So, I finished reading it all, but didn't hit the like button anymore! I am enchanted.
  11. KennethT

Dinner 2019

Memories of Viet Nam... Gỏi cuốn - summer rolls. Usually, this is served with a hoisin-like peanut sauce, but I like to do how it is typical in central Viet Nam which is a nước chấm with garlic and a ton of black pepper. So refreshing and healthy. Also it's typically done with pork or shrimp or both, but this is with chicken...
  12. gfweb

Dinner 2019

it’s an old Matfer carbon steel pan. It is a great tool. Slick enough for an omelette. My Darto is on the adjacent burner and every bit as loved.
  13. No. It's all over. Tea is often served lukewarm or just room temperature.The exception is in more serious tea tastings, where the tea is central to the event, and it is normally hotter, but never boiling hot.
  14. KennethT

Dinner 2019

Is this a carbon steel pan? Is it a Darto? It looks great, and a great seasoning job as well!
  15. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

I didn't understand half of that -- but being from New Jersey, bluefish is one of my favorite fish. My dinner tonight is canned tuna. After I finish my bowl of cashews, pecans, peanuts. And my mai tai.
  16. liuzhou

Dinner 2019

You'll get no pooh-poohiing from this Scot. The last batch I made (and posted) for dinner reappeared next day for lunch and definitely tasted better (not that they were bad first time round).
  17. I am so happy that when mixing wheat* dough in the Ankarsrum I can build dough strength that I just can't get from the KitchenAid. But now I have another question: I have not baked cookies in years and years. Cookies are calling to me. Would it be better to mix cookie dough in the Ankarsrum or in the KitchenAid? Or does it depend on the specific recipe? I have read one should not assay cold butter in the Ankarsrum, but cold butter is not at issue here. *rye is a separate issue. I don't like rye anyway.
  18. Franci

Dinner 2019

Tonight we got a crevalle jack, first time for me cooking it, I filleted, cut it and sauté with oil, butter, some lime pelé à vif, chili crunch condiment, parsley. I also did a blue fish under salt. Total cost of the fishes $3.50😁. Salad and always present jamón.
  19. Thanks! They are - copied from a potter on Instagram. I have some work to do on technique and glaze choices, but I can see a forest of these in my future.
  20. Oooh! One of my favorite holiday events is about to happen! I am in love with these - your beautiful work?
  21. And then I made some confections. Kerry posted most of them, but the one thing people want the most every year is peppermint bark. Apparently mine is tasty - I have requests for a total of about 20 pounds of it so far and will likely need to make more: There is another Cambro full of peppermint bark under this one. There are also 30 dozen peanut butter meltaways, some plain and some with feuilletine mixed in, but I neglected to photograph those. in other food news, when Kerry arrived she was bearing this gorgeous pannetone (in gorgeous packaging) sent along by @Alleguede (thank you so much, Rodney!) that will certainly add a little sweetness to my holidays:
  22. Hey Chefsteps is back and the content is great. Really really happy to see it.
  23. So I have had the best of intentions to photograph and post my activities over the last few days, but as always it takes @Kerry Beal to get me from thoughts to actions. It’s hard to believe this is the fourth year of this event. The first year, my mother was gravely ill and, unbeknownst to us, was in the last weeks of her life (she passed away New Year’s Eve 2016) - that weekend and the weeks leading up to it was a weird blur of stress and distress about my mother’s illness, days and nights spent in nursing home and hospital, and genuine excitement about hosting the workshop. I have never really enjoyed the holidays, but this has become something I look forward to all year. Not only do I get a little extra time to visit with Kerry, I get to give some of my nearest and dearest the chance to have a little holiday fun and get some of their gift giving done at the same time. Since that first year I have learned loads of lessons - some larger life lessons to be sure, but mostly lessons about how to make this event more special for my peeps and more sane for myself. First lesson: give myself more time to prepare! I am lucky to have a job that gives me an enormous paid time off allotment, and I always find myself with some time to burn at the end of the year. Fortunately, my bank of time this year coincided with an absence of deadlines and so I was able to take Thursday and Friday off to prepare. This enabled me to get more done, but mostly because I kept adding to my to-do list! I did manage to get a few Christmas decorations up:
  24. Anna N

Lunch 2019

After some thought and a little bit of research I think I am concluding that the egg was in fact as it should be for an onsen egg. I did chill the eggs down before refrigerating them. But today I was curious so I took the second egg straight from the refrigerator and broke into it without any reheating. The only thing I could think of to do with a cold egg was to make an egg salad. Was a little bit different than usual but quite tasty. I added some chopped scallions and a wee bit of Hellmann’s and some salt and pepper and served open face egg salad sandwiches. OK so a lot of pepper.
  25. gfweb

Dinner 2019

Mashed yams with cream, just enough allspice to wonder what that spice is , a dash or three of liquid smoke which is vital and just enough sugar to make it slightly sweet. Salt. Overall it is on the border of savory and sweet Acorn squash is sectioned and cooked at 350 steam in CSO for about 10 minutes, then warm yams are put in the rings, lightly dusted with brown sugar and then broiled at 500F for 8 min.
  1. Load more activity