• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Nice, Chris. I started mine with dark rye because it’s very much easier to source the light rye. When I was able to get some light rye I began converting over. I really need to refocus. I spent a restless night having dreams and nightmares about bread failures and successes and I do believe I invented a new and miraculous additive. I just can’t remember what it was.
  3. Today
  4. Shapes of Pans

I am not @boilsover but that is what I'd call a Windsor pan. One of my most used shapes. Wish I had a copper one. The pan you linked is not on sale...otherwise I would be tempted...except, fortunately, I am broke.
  5. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Sorry, but I can't fully get the issue (maybe cultural and /or language): your MILs turkey was cooked and then left to cool for 5 hours ? And usually to do that you have to remove the stuffing (bread ?) ? Why does that mean it is unsafe to eat ?
  6. Food funnies

"sorry, not sorry"?
  7. I just can't cook __________!

Ham are awesome cooked in it, too. But I'd better warn you after your Norman Rockwell comment () - you don't get a really browned, crisp skin in the Nesco. It will brown - and the skin isn't flabby, but it won't be exactly like that perfect Rockwell turkey.
  8. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Wonderful Thanksgiving meals folks! We went to my MIL’s, so I don’t have any pictures. I made @Ann_T's corn custard (Southerners: think corn pudding), which was fabulous, as always. MIL’s dinner was delicious – turkey, dressing, whipped potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, two different kinds of green beans (she aims to please everyone), her blue ribbon winning yeast rolls, and three pies (apple, pecan and pumpkin). What I am thankful for is that we didn’t end up in the ER. We didn’t find out until after we ate that her stuffed turkey sat on the counter STILL STUFFED for almost 5 hours. I am not a particularly fussy person (I freely double dip, leave my butter out on the counter year around, and eat after everyone I know), but I almost fell off my chair when she was talking about timing and I worked it out.
  9. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Just a bread sage stuffing.
  10. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Looks great. Stuffed with...?
  11. Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

Scotch Woodcock. (Scrambled duck eggs with anchovies - on toast).
  12. Shapes of Pans

boilsover, I just want to double check that the splayed sauté pan is the same as the sauteuse évasée? In other words, this pan here is actually a traditional Windsor: http://www.abt.com/product/115701/Mauviel-M250c-3.7-Qt.-Copper-And-Stainless-Steel-Splayed-Saute-Pan-654324.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=sc&utm_campaign=654324&camptype=cpcUSGooglePLA&pt_source=google&pt_medium=sc&pt_campaign=[PLA] [US] Manufacturer&pt_adgroup=[PMX] [PLA] [US] Manufacturer&pt_keyword= I'm asking because per the slkinsey article from wayback, they are different pans with different traditional functions. Specifically, the splayed sauté pan would have higher sides than the sauteuse. I'm not trying to be challenging, I'm just trying to clarify my understanding.
  13. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

More pork than people! 10# dressed roast for 8 people plus the turkey. I have a chamber vacuum bagger to keep the love alive.
  14. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

@Steve Irby Fantastic porchetta. How many people?
  15. Aldi

They work well until they don't. I mean the Foodsaver has been made so cheaply that they don't last very long. The big chains demand a low price and don't care that it doesn't last. I ran through three Foodsavers in about 10 yrs. I have a piston pump vac sealer from Cabela's now. Its a horse.
  16. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

In keeping with the not-to-traditional route I served a porchetta roast along side more traditional turkey. I bought a primal cut from from a local Vietnamese grocer and sectioned out the belly and loin. The roast was terrific! Dinner included the white cheddar cauliflower gratin Anna N linked to and a terrific pear bread pudding from Lidia's Table. The bread pudding Early week meal from breaking down the primal cut And a few photos from the start of the process.
  17. Aldi

Do you mean the Foodsaver one or the Aldi one is bad? Don't know if they are the same ones here but my Aldi one works well enough
  18. I have an IP and a Fagor PC. The fagor gets up to temp faster, can hold more... but requires a bit of watching. The IP has all these functions that I don't use...I have a rice maker...I don't find risotto a trial etc. But I can ignore it while it makes stock for 2 hours and that's something.
  19. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

So many wonderful looking Thanksgiving Dinners. I'm with Suzi. I'd be happy with just the mashed potatoes, gravy and peas. I decided to cook something "turkey" for dinner last night in honour of American Thanksgiving. Stuffed Turkey Legs. I got a head start, by boning out the legs before leaving for work. The legs were stuffed, roasted and served with mashed potatoes, rutabaga and fresh green beans.
  20. Amazon has a Black Friday special on the 8-quart Instant Pot. $81.99
  21. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

@Okanagancook Thanks! The breast was sous vided with the skin on and then fried to crisp-up the skin. It worked well. Madelaines make it easy to serve cornbread from a passed basket. Nothing breaks/crumbles when you pick it up...nice crust...cooks fast.
  22. Cheese graters

I tried that with one of my smaller Cuisinarts years ago. Broke the blade so I went back to using the big machine and the grating disc. I started the Cuis, dropped in a chunk of parm and there was a bang and then awful noise. I had to get a new bowl too because it was so scarred up stuff caught on it, in spite of me sanding all the burrs down. This was one of the older units and not one of those that had the recall.
  23. I'm finally ready to start a rye levain... got this in the mail today:
  24. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Your turkey looks sous vide? Clever idea with the jalapeño madelaines!
  25. I'm thankful you took us along with you.
  26. "Health food" stores really need regulation. So many instances of adulterated supplements have happened...and now this.
  27. Here. A man buys a snack and ends up in hospital with cyanide poisoning. What were they thinking when they sold these as snack food.
  1. Load more activity