• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 3)

Apologies in advance for my crappy photos. Yesterday's lunch was a recon mission with my cousin for an upcoming ladies lunch with a larger group. Last week, we went to a Korean restaurant that had good food but the staff were not particularly communicative so we vetoed it since a number of the group would be unfamiliar with the menu offerings. So we checked out the local branch of the Gyu-Kaku chain that's all over the place. I chose the Signature Cut Set from the lunch menu. Mostly slurped miso soup and half-eaten salad - greens, daikon, tomato, cucumber and hard boiled egg. Out of frame is a bowl of edamame and a bowl of steamed rice. Left to right below: garlic-marinated shrimp, thin sliced spicy yaki-shabu beef, harami miso skirt steak and kalbi beef short rib Sauces on the table were labeled: sweet-soy, spicy and ponzu I've never done this before and enjoyed it. We will go back with the other 6 ladies next week.
  3. I Bought a Tutove--Now What?

I just read this thread. No, I do not have a tutove, never felt the need for one and when I took classes in French cooking from Chef Gregoire back in the early '70s, one of the other women in the class said she had seen a tutove at Jurgensens (very high end food store that carried some pots, pans, utensils &etc.) and asked if they worked better than a straight French pin for pastry. It was very expensive -as was most of the stuff at Jurgensens. The Chef had one word, "merde" and said, "don't waste money on it!" In fact, earlier when we began the class and were being told what we would need, he had suggested that we go to a lumber yard, ask for a 2-foot length of maple or oak round 2 inch banister, buy some coarse sandpaper and round off the ends and work it with finer sandpaper till it was smooth, oil it with mineral oil, wipe it as dry as possible and then rub it with the back of a spoon until it was slick. I think most of us did. I still have the one I made. The method he taught us involved a lot of beating on the slabs and the weight of the maple pin helped a lot. Over the years I successfully produced a lot of puff pastry, and other pastry, worked with that pin.
  4. Modernist Bread: Sablée Brioche

I'm thinking the osmotolerant yeast is a must.
  5. Russet Potato Flavor

I'll be interested to hear other opinions (as well) on how to select the most flavourful potatoes.
  6. Chop chicken leg bones?

Wondering about the value of cutting through chicken bones when making a stew. When I'm making chicken or duck stock, I cut through the bones so that the marrow can become part of stock fluid. When I'm making stock, I filter it eventually, so any fine bone particles get removed. I know in Asian cooking that the chicken thigh gets chopped into 3, but I'm assuming that's to make the pieces smaller. What's your opinion? Is there value in chicken bone marrow getting into the stew? If one picks out the bits of broken bone ends, is that good enough?
  7. Today
  8. Russet Potato Flavor

I tend to buy generic , unless its something special. for potatoes , I get Russets , 5 lb bags , store label for RedBliss , the same thing I live in the East. Ive noticed that the store label 5 lbs bag are the cheapest and have smaller potatoes than pick your own , etc. for Russets , and larger potatoes for Bliss. smaller Bliss are at a sl premium. I don't mind. I feel its the skin that adds the flavor and the smaller potato , the more surface area thus more skin / lb potato I don't find other potatoes that interesting. Bliss for Waxy , Russets for fluffy I don't find YukonGold to be buttery at all , seems more PR than anything else. the Russets i get with these criteria are not ultra-potato-ey they might come from PEI and its said the soil there has been over farmed. perhaps. the other day there was a Sale at one of my stand-by Chains : 10 lbs / Russets 1.99 Green Giant. did not know the JGJ was into potatoes. but they were very clean , very little divots how could I loose ? I baked up a set of the smallest , similar sized ones in the CSB(O) 450 SB 45 ++ until very crunchy I never peel potatoes. I clean them up as little as possible. after about 10 minutes the most wonderful earthy aroma filled the kitchen then Russet Aroma was added to this for the rest of the baking time. best tasting potato Ive had in recent memory. The bag says they are distributor is in Pasco WA interesting im not sure Idaho potatoes are the best around , or its a blend of PR and other factors I do remember some time ago Mt.St.Helena erupted and a lot of ash was deposited in Idaho it was said that after that , the Idaho Russets improved dramatically in flavor. to make a long story come to an ending , Ill try to pay more attention to where the Russets come from as these were outstanding , and a pleasure to Bake in the CSB has anyone noticed something similar ?
  9. Nice ! thanks for taking the time to share !
  10. Sure, you can do it that way. You can slice bacon the same way, too. I guess I'm not as stingy with my smoked salmon--I slice on the diagonal, thicker, and down to the board. But I also rarely smoke to that lox consistency; I can see how the style of slicing might be good for that.
  11. @Chocolot has a list provided by a local foodie - let me see if I can find it in my e-mails and quote it here.
  12. One Click Butter Cutter

Buying European butter in Mexico is more than a modest splurge! I like the local butter, though some expats complain because most stores only stock mantequilla sin sal (unsalted butter), but I've only eaten unsalted butter since my 20s when I got into baking and opted to only buy unsalted for the house.
  13. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Last night's dinner. Grilled Sirloin Cap with roasted potato wedges, Crimini mushrooms and salad. The potato wedges were roasted on the Bake Steam setting in the little steam oven. Worth having this little oven for that reason alone.
  14. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Quesadillas to use up a tiny bit of leftover prime rib from the other night.
  15. Any special dining plans that you can share?
  16. How long will you be in San Francisco?
  17. Modernist Bread: Sablée Brioche

@Smokeydoke I might give this another go having learned a few things since then - I also misread the bit about putting both balls in the tin and made two small loaves. I used regular yeast the first time (although I didn't have the books then) but have since acquired some osmotolerant yeast since then (SAF Gold).
  18. Just got the word that my flight is delayed by an hour. Glad I'm in the lounge!
  19. Here we go again, guys. Just love Kerry's posts. Always. So much fun. And so we live vicariously....
  20. One Click Butter Cutter

European butter like Kerrygold has more fat and is more spreadable right out of the fridge; that could be a solution for some people. Leaving it out for fifteen minutes makes it even easier. And it tastes so good. For many baking needs I just use regular American butter, but for spreading on fresh bread or toast it's only a modest splurge.
  21. Modernist Bread: Sablée Brioche

I'm having the same problem as @Eric Srikandan the dough is more like a pie crust, it's crumbly and it's not coming together and it's definitely not rising. But it looks like his final bread was good, so I'm pushing on. I took it out of the refrigerator after 8 hours, it was not rising at all in the refrigerator. I had this problem with Flour's (the cookbook) brioche dough, I finally got it to rise after blooming the yeast in some milk and sugar, then adding it to the wet mixture, then the flour. Then I let the whole thing proof outside for half the time. I think the yeast needs a headstart before mixing with the other ingredients. I could not get her dough to rise as the recipe was written. If it doesn't rise in 6 hours, I may scrape and try another time.
  22. A Japanese cabinet maker's saw will make a perfect bread knife. It's much sharper than any serrated knife, it's very uniformly thin, and it cuts with pulling strokes, there is no need for downward pressure or pushing force. It work especially well with hard crust bread. https://www.amazon.com/Tajima-JPR-265ST-Precision-Woodworking-Elastomer/dp/B00ID1PKD0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1516287537&sr=8-3&keywords=japanese+wood+saw dcarch
  23. Food funnies

Mitchell and Webb: Animal Clinic
  24. Wow ! Excellent ! More Good Eats and perhaps a bit of Shopping ! looking forward to it !
  25. I'm in the lounge at Pearson airport waiting to fly out to San Francisco this morning. If all goes according to plan I will meet @Chocolot at the baggage carousel and we will head off to the hotel together. We will be attending the Fine Chocolate Industry Association meeting (EZtemper has a table and I will be doing a lunch and learn tempering workshop) then the Fancy Food Show. I am am of course doing my usual jet lag program so my rather sad breakfast this morning is the boiled eggs they offer in the lounge (the only protein apparently) and I'm on my second latte. I should be drinking the coffee black as per the prescription but I figure milk is more protein than carb and it makes the coffee palatable! I do have some cheese and salami in my pack ('why no officer I don't have any food with me') as this is a high calorie but low carb part of the program.
  26. I think this tape was a little wider than fit smoothly on the bottom and that's why I had creep under the edges. More care taken when putting it down might prevent this
  1. Load more activity