• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Drinks! 2018

Midnight Snack (Angostura) 1 oz Old Overholt (Rittenhouse) 1 oz Snap ginger liqueur (Stirrings) 1/2 oz lemon juice 3/4 oz demerara syrup 3 ds Angostura 1 egg white (aquafaba) Dry shake, shake, strain, up, garnish with grated nutmeg. Super tasty. I feared it might be too sweet but the spice of rye/ginger/Ango kept it balanced. If you're a fan of whiskey sours, this is next-level.
  3. I don't think we have enough accolades on earth to honor this amazing man! He is the very definition of the word humanitarian. Personally I would like to see him be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. His kindness knows no boundaries. If food equals love, this man knows the recipe for it! Can you tell that I am in awe of him?
  4. Yesterday
  5. I just bought a Kindle copy of Mary-Ann Boermans’ Great British Bakes. This is perhaps the most useful feature I have ever seen: “The numbers in the brackets show the total number of recipes that use each ingredient. Simply put: if you have everything on this list, you can make every recipe in this book. Some ingredients are only used once or twice, but I have tried to limit these to items that could be used in other recipes. The ingredients in italics might be less easy to locate, and online sources for them are listed at the end. FLOURS Plain flour (51) Strong white flour (16) Cornflour (10) Self-raising flour (3) Rice flour (3) Stone-ground wholemeal flour (1) Rye flour (1) GRAINS Medium oatmeal (1) Ground rice (3)“ And it goes on to list every ingredient. Can you imagine how useful this is if you want to use up an ingredient that you have purchased just for one recipe. By consulting this list you can see how many other recipes you might want to make to use up the ingredient. This would be even more valuable in a general cooking book rather than a baking book. In addition to this one invaluable feature the book makes it easy to find a recipe. In addition to a general table of contents there is a table of contents at the beginning of each chapter and if that isn’t enough all the recipes are listed alphabetically in yet another table. Has anyone ever seen a food related book where all the ingredients are listed next to all the recipes that require them? I am more excited than an overstimulated synaptic gap.
  6. To me they are definitely for grown-ups.
  7. Smart Speakers in the Kitchen

Due to storage limitations, I have at least a bit of kitchen in most of my rooms. On the ground floor and basement, anyway.
  8. Refrigerator Magnets

Ah, that must be why I always felt so comfortably at home there.
  9. Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Well, they would totally amuse me! They are now on my to-bake list. Thank you Anna N
  10. Refrigerator Magnets

Mine came from disassembled hard drives.
  11. “No matter the decade, it seemed there was a Shrewsbury Cake recipe of some description almost everywhere I looked. After a more organised search I found no fewer than 74 recipes for these English shortbread biscuits, ranging in date from 1621 to 1865.” From Great British Bakes by Mary-Ann Boermans. She gives 4 different recipes in the book for these cakes/biscuits/cookies.
  12. Pickles

Where do I get seeds for the 2 chiiis? I have everything else. If I can get three seeds of each I will grow my own. This pickle sounds wonderful.
  13. Kosher Barbeque Competitions

Rules are something’s crazy. Sounds like that chk was killer. Bottom line the chicken scored with you “Love the one your with”
  14. Yes it is. I am going to try the modernist version but I used up all of my rye levain so it may take a while before I get around to it.
  15. Kosher Barbeque Competitions

Our instructions are to judge what we are given, not what we think should be in the box. In my time, the best chicken I was privileged to judge happened in Ada, Oklahoma. The box was 6 breasts, no garnish. It got dinged because of the presentation aspect but let me tell you, that was absolutely the very best chicken turn in that has ever hit my table. Juicy and great texture, wonderful smokey flavor, no sauce, NO sauce. The balance was so incredible that I can remember and probably secretly judge all others by. So if your oysters totally rock, I hope I get to judge them at my table sometime. It would be my honor. Firelake will be my 170 contest to judge.
  16. I had a couple pounds of tomatoes from the end of last season in the freezer. Once thawed the liquid that drained off was enough for the bread, and the remaining pulp became pasta sauce.
  17. Chef José Andrés has been named the James Beard Humanitarian of the year. Incredible work. https://dc.eater.com/2018/2/21/17036162/jose-andres-james-beard-foundation-humanitarian-of-the-year
  18. well, you may consider it "rustic" due to the cracked Pavlova...but the concentric petals of fig make up for that! I'd gladly eat half of that, the flavors sound very appealing.
  19. Unless you're a tomato farmer, that must be one expensive bread!
  20. Wait, your religious affiliate doesn't have its own supernatural theme(s)?
  21. Refrigerator Magnets

I like "push pin" style rare earth magnets. I prefer black, but they're also available in metallic, which, I think, would look good on a stainless steel fridge. The wider, the better. I acquired mine via eBay.
  22. Refrigerator Magnets

Ours are all on the upper half of the fridge, out of the toddler granddaughter's reach (for now).
  23. Shock, I made more Chocolate Cherry Sourdough this weekend! This time I replaced the espresso with the same quantity of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. The bread was still excellent, and the cook got a bonus since the recipe only calls for 15g.
  24. Tomato Water Sourdough (p. 4•86) In this bread you replace all of the water with the clear liquid that drains off of tomatoes when they've been roughly pureed (or frozen). It's also got a fairly large amount of tomato paste in it, so it's got a pretty strong tomato flavor. It makes great-tasting grilled cheese, and is good dipped in soup.
  25. @Anna N, is that the "100% High-Ryes"? I made the Modernist version of it with good success, baked in a loaf pan.
  26. Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

An interesting old recipe found on Wikipedia: "To make Shrewsbury Cakes - Take two pound of floure dryed in the oven and weighed after it is dryed, then put to it one pound of butter that must be layd an hour or two in rose-water, so done poure the water from the butter, and put the butter to the flowre with the yolks and whites of five eggs, two races of ginger, and three quarters of a pound of sugar, a little salt, grate your spice, and it well be the better, knead all these together till you may rowle the past, then roule it forth with the top of a bowle, then prick them with a pin made of wood, or if you have a comb that hath not been used, that will do them quickly, and is best to that purpose, so bake them upon pye plates, but not too much in the oven, for the heat of the plates will dry them very much, after they come forth of the oven, you may cut them without the bowles of what bignesse or what fashion you please.” — The Compleat Cook of 1658
  1. Load more activity