• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. So true. But also helps with handling the dough ...
  3. Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

Moe's Breakfast. Potato Leek soup with yesterday's bread toasted.
  4. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Me too!!!
  5. Yes, you do. Or, at least I did! And the ones proofed in the bannetons baked up just beautifully. The difference between 39°F and 65°F is not that large considering you're putting them into a 500°F oven. The trick with the refrigerator is to get the surface of the dough to dry out a bit to give cleaner slashes, so if you proofed in baskets you're going to have to turn the dough out of them first. It's not really Modernist Bread's innovation and as I recall they just mention it in passing. I never do it.
  6. Sausage Roll Question

On our side of the border, the current football dynasty - Laval's Rouge et Or - punched their ticket back to the national championship game, where they'll meet the University of Western Ontario Mustangs, who were one of the great dynasties a couple of decades ago. The Mustangs have a truly dominant ground game...in their playoff this weekend against the Atlantic champion Acadia Axemen, their three running backs and QB accounted for over 450 yards on the ground in an 81-3 (!!) victory. Looking forward to the championship game, it should be a doozy. It's next Saturday, 'cause our football season ends before yours. It's cold up here, doncha know.
  7. Adventures of Fat Rice is 2.99 on US kindle. I am very excited to learn about Macau cuisine.
  8. Today
  9. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Yeah. That's what I want for dinner!
  10. How did I do? 50¢ tablespoon—2/$1—from Dollar Tree. I have some higher quality spoons to bend—larger Cambridge and a much larger Oneida.
  11. Looks great! Can't wait to see the rest of the trip!
  12. Has anyone successfully canned lemon curd, for longer-than-a-couple-of-weeks consumption? A friend's chickens are still laying 10 eggs a day, freezer space is tight, and she's feeling a little overwhelmed.
  13. Lisa, I just saw your comment on oiling. I oil my hands with olive oil. Does help with the stretching.
  14. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Shelby, I can't remember the last time I had frog legs. Looks delicious. Pasta for dinner. With grilled garlic bread. Bread baked yesterday.
  15. I have a spare CSO (in addition to one in our condo and one in beach house). It was briefly discounted to 160 or so on Amazon. Can't imagine cooking without it. No red notebook though
  16. Oh Shelby, how I wish I could eat with you! And many other eGulleters!
  17. Steak and oyster tartar does sound interesting. Oh how I wish I was eating that meal with you
  18. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Fried frog legs and shrimp
  19. By hand over here in Kansas.
  20. Wait. A spare notebook or a spare CSO?
  21. Great hard-to-find condiments

Can you believe I have never had a passion fruit? Live a sheltered life. Anyway I hope you get some help In starting your business. It sounds like it could be a lot of fun for you and for those of us who enjoy exploring new things.In starting your business. Edited to remove dictation echo!
  22. Desserts were not memorable, will not bore you with the photos. But the kitchen had a huge Big Green Egg like cooker. I immediately thought of @Kerry Beal. You can see it in the back on the second photo
  23. The rest of the meal. We ordered one wine pairing and sommelier has graciously split it for us. Very generous amounts of wine, different one with each course (and Punta Mes based negrni like cocktail to start). Red wine paired with sweet breads and artichokes dish was genius but I did not write it down. White on white sole with almonds was incredible. Everything was cooked flawlesly, despite my tendency to mentally deconstruct and criticize the food.
  24. Snacks. Octopus chip, ostrich pate, potato and kefir purée, steak and oyster tartar. Tartar was incredible, can't wait to try that combination at home. Bread and butter .
  25. Anna, thanks for the quick response and for helping me avoid going in the wrong direction. Of course there are passion fruits, too, which I'm quite familiar with (they are wonderful in Hawaii!), but I knew you didn't mean those.
  26. Now the money shot. Beef that was actually the last savory course but was the highlight of the meal. It arrived rare, glistening with fatty juices, incredibly tender. You get to choose the steak knife. Carbon steel for me, thank you.
  1. Load more activity