• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!
  3. What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

Yeah, I ordered it from Harbor Freight and used the 20% off code.
  4. For the last couple days of this trip we had to move to a different apartment (they told us ahead of time). It comes with open plan kitchen and a lovely patio perfect for sipping Campari with lemon twist. Mid day drinking is awful. Bad. Not so bad. OK. Good. Great for you! I love Poetry bulding.
  5. Camping, Princess Style

I could handle a day or two in a Sunbelt state, 'round about mid-February, but that would be about my limit. Where I live there are few midsummer days that break into the 30s C (say, low-mid 80s F), and I dread them. The idea of voluntarily spending my time getting roasted 24/7 has little appeal.
  6. What's Songxiang souchong?

I'm sorry, but any website claiming that any green tea leads to weight loss is utterly ignorant. I'll give them extra marks though for the great joke of including Liptons in a list of greatest teas.
  7. better go back and ask for a couple to take home. i would,
  8. Cooking a Heritage Turkey -2017

Not sure when practice of pulling turkey tendons stopped, but old timer butchers have told me that prior to Big Ag, when animals were still being slaughtered in Hell's Kitchen in NYC, every turkey had their tendon's pulled. The idea of a turkey leg with the plastic-like tendons in the drumstick was unimaginable as they are as unpleasant to navigate as they are inedible. Consequently, unless I can get the bird with the feet still attached (from which I can yank the tendons with pliers) I refuse to cook a whole bird. Invariably, I debone and stuff the legs.
  9. Oh rotuts, I did not keep the happy cow. It was too jugoso by the time I finished eating ;
  10. "" Americans caught on to the Instant Pot well before most Canadians "" "" the company has a "large cache of new products" "" A larger , well made Combi-oven ?
  11. I like that Happy Cow stuck in your meat Id be happy to if I were Jugoso. hope you kept it.
  12. no I haven't. you have to do it outside I have a torch that plumber's use that the head twists up w the bottle in any position it works fine I did think about the searzall , but I think the high heat damages the screen and fuses the screws you need to remove to change it and I didn't want to go through with it BTW when not Searing , you can burn up some weeds ! if you get it https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-61595.html let us know what you think. thyere is a HF very near me and I always use one of their 20 %off coupons right next to TotalWine http://www.totalwine.com very convenient Happy Thanksgiving !
  13. Today
  14. What's Songxiang souchong?

I would like to read about this brief overview, with an emphasis on interesting facts, as it is done on the websites reviews, for example, like here https://indepthguide.com/best-green-tea/
  15. I do love it. It seems very against my inner core to leave snow and go to someplace hotter than the sun lol.
  16. Maybe "Shelbys". She's the only person that seems to LOVE the stuff
  17. What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

Have you tried a 'flamethrower?' I still have some birthday money left so I ordered one.
  18. Thanksgiving Side Dishes

Now that the day is upon us (for those of us in the USA), how many and what sides are you actually serving today? I got to wondering after Sam Sifton from the NYT mentioned that he is making 4 sides for a dinner for 30 - including lobster mac and cheese. We added one extra, but a couple of them are quick/easy to make and we roasted the sweet potatoes and apples last night - along with some other prep work: Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Apples Crispy Brussels Sprouts Hash Roasted Cauliflower w/ Romesco Sauce Mashed Potatoes Copes Corn Of course also turkey, stuffing/dressing, gravy, rolls, cranberry sauce, and desserts. I am feeling good about the plan for today, but I may feel differently in about 8 hours. Nothing is all that difficult to make, but the last half hour or so always seems to be a mad dash. I am sure no one will go hungry, so hopefully I will be able to keep calm and enjoy myself today. I admire those of you who have truly mastered that particular skill. Happy Thanksgiving!
  19. Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

Kimchi omelette.
  20. The Migrant Kitchen

Season 2 episode 2 about Indian restaurant Badmaash has interest discussion about tradition and authenticity.
  21. An interesting documentary about " collective of culturally connected, distinguished chefs (including Ray Garcia of Broken Spanish, Wes Avila of Guerilla Tacos, Carlos Salgado of Taco Maria, as well as Jorge Gaviria of corn purveyor, Masienda) work to preserve heritage and push forward the “Alta California” Mexican food movement. By celebrating those dishes and ingredients integral to Mexico's cuisine and its economy, a group of accomplished Mexican-American chefs are working to elevate not only the food, but what people of their heritage can achieve in the food business. Featured in the episode: Guerilla Tacos, Orange County's Taco Maria, Broken Spanish, BS Taqueria." https://www.kcet.org/shows/the-migrant-kitchen/episodes/alta-california?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=audiencedelivered
  22. I think that on a regular basis. But I've already spent the money on the compressor, airbrush and an assortment of colored cocoa butter so I waited too long to have my epiphany... might as well keep at it now.
  23. Camping, Princess Style

Crazy? Masochistic?
  24. We met with a friend who lives in BA. He chose restaurant Sucre. Very nice. "Early" 8 PM dinner allowed us to have a table by the kitchen. Two dishes were outstanding: tongue pastrami and pork cooked on a spit. There is a glass wine tower n the middle of the restaurant.
  25. Lunch in another parilla Las Lilas resulted in much better quality meat. And I got to try blood sausage. It was pudding like in texture and tasted very mildly. Local Patagonia beer arrived in Stella Artois glass. Puffed potatoes for side dish.
  26. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Fresh baked haddock, broccoli rabe and boiled potatoes. HC
  1. Load more activity