• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Ok, there are 3 thighs and one breast salted and sitting in the fridge now. According to the directions, you cook chicken pieces 12 minutes per pound at 450F. I have a 1 lb. breast (ridiculous) and 4 7oz. thighs. So, how long do I cook it for? 36 minutes and start checking temp at 30? Thank you!!
  3. Thanks. New bananas are not ripe enough. Old bananas are too ripe. No Goldilocks bananas available.
  4. FrogPrincesse

Amazon Prime Day - your loot ?

And I almost regret not getting an 8 quart instant pot instead of the 6. The 6 isn’t that big! I filled it to capacity with a 3-4 servings pot au feu last night.
  5. Norm Matthews

Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Looks like shrimp is on several menus today. I had to make an an attempt to redeem myself by making Shrimp Scampi. I made the huge mistake last week of getting an all-in-one bag shrimp scampi and it was not good. I hope I learned my lesson well enough to never try that again. I used egg noodles for the pasta.
  6. This is why we have sous vide! Blade roast sous vided from frozen for 30 hours at 57°C! Grilled romaine lightly dressed with a sherry vinegar vinaigrette.
  7. In France we call them cadavres! The next-morning sign of a great party...
  8. ElsieD

Shrimp and Grits

I have never seen these that I know of. Thank you for your kind offer, but before you go to all that trouble, we will be going to Syracuse sometime in the next couple of months and I will check Wegman's to see if they have it. I wonder too if Trader Joe's might carry grits. Maybe not that brand but something actually called grits. Can't go to Syracuse and not visit Trader Joe's!
  9. Zucchini: @HungryChris's zucchini pickles are the bomb. I dehydrate zucchini slices, too. Cucumbers: Make you some half sours! I forgot my first batch, let them go too long, and they molded. Have to do another batch, and I'll be through with pickles for the year.
  10. Being on vacation helped me avoid Prime Day for the most part. I did look, once, at the price on hand mixers, the only thing I was really in the market for. No big deals, so I passed.
  11. heidih

Shrimp and Grits

So any idea why rest of country is clueless? Distribution issues, packaging? Hell I'm interested...
  12. kayb

Shrimp and Grits

I grew up in a county which was, for a time, the largest sorghum molasses producing county in the country. We can get it in gallon jugs, but usually it's in quart pails that look like paint buckets.
  13. chileheadmike

Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Rainy Sunday here. Seemed to call for a nice roast. Beef chuck braised in San Marzano tomatoes with onion, green bell peppers garlic and herbs from the garden. Finished with parmesan.
  14. @Shelby, I don't do heat without A/C either. I don't have to have it in the 60s, but I don't want it above 75, either. Here are a few faves that mostly utilize the less heat-generating appliances and/or can be prepped and cooked early. Marinated roast beef: I do either chuck roast, and shred it, in the IP, or tri-tip or round roast, sous vide. Pull the chuck or slice the cooled tri-tip or round, put meat in a plastic dish, and cover with a good bottled Italian dressing (or make up your own). Refrigerate. Makes a good sandwich, too. Pasta salad: Use the IP to cook a pound of elbow noodles. Slice salami or Lebanon bologna in strips or small dice, or use sliced turkey or ham, shredded or small diced and grated or diced cheese. Add diced hardboiled eggs if you have a notion. Add green peas (frozen steamed in bag and then drained and let dry on paper towels are fine), and some corn kernels. Add diced, steamed carrots, cooled, if you want. Make up your favorite dressing. (I like homemade ranch, about the only application in which I care for ranch dressing). Refrigerate. Roast a chicken, early in the day. Let it cool. Put together a salad of Romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, olives, feta cheese and chicken. Dress right before eating with a viniagrette that's heavy on oregano. Summer tomato pasta: Early in the day, dice up some tomatoes and mince some garlic. Add olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar and let it sit on the counter all day, stirring when you think about it. Cook pasta, top with sauce, add grated parmesan, dig in. You can add diced salami or other sausage to this. Use the rest of that roast chicken, with cheese, peppers, and whatever else strikes your fancy, to stuff potatoes. Bake them in the microwave, broil them in the CSO. Bean salad of your choice, courtesy of the IP and Rancho Gordo!u I keep a couple of cold marinated salads in the fridge all summer. Cucumber, onion and carrots (parboil the carrots just a bit first), maybe cauliflower if I have it on hand. Jail slaw (for a quick side or on a sandwich). As somebody has mentioned, capreses.I love 'em with homemade ricotta. No need to go to the store for fresh mozz. Shoot the A/C repairman. Drink a lot. If you still have an ice house in town, go get you a 50-pound block of ice; put it in a tub. Set it in the kitchen and turn a box fan across it.
  15. Reddit has a sub forum https://old.reddit.com/r/ramen/ that I've found very helpful. Ramen_Lord has numerous recipes there, and goes into making noodles with a lot of detail. I use his recipe for making Sapporo style noodles and we're very happy with the results.
  16. Today
  17. I just moved City of Gold to the top of the Nexflix queue. Loved it the first time and I'm sure it will be a bitter/sweet repeat this time around.
  18. Tri2Cook

Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

That looks tasty. I made a mango habanero sauce to go with the jerk pork and chicken that's currently residing in my smoker and have plenty of mango left that I thought might find a good home in something like what's in that picture. Went straight to google and found absolutely nothing no matter how I typed it in.
  19. So back to the man we love - Blue-Dolpin has some great links http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-jonathan-gold-chef-tributes-20180721-story.html
  20. That doesn't overcook the breast? Do you put it in later?
  21. Why don’t you make flambé bananas for dessert!😋
  22. Nausea and blood counts are the hardest to control. They have come a log way with meds to control it. Not cheap, but very effective. Emend works wonders on nausea as long as you get ahead of it. Neulasta and neupogen can rebuild you white cell counts, again they are not cheap.
  23. Tonight’s cocktail: Not A Pompadour! (notice I am doing my share drinking that disgusting rum!)
  24. I just finished "A Bite Sized History of France" which is a history of France told through the lens of food. I highly recommend it.
  25. Next time, throw a handful of grated cheese onto the pan and let it render its fat and start crisping up before you pour the puffy eggs in. You'll get the nice brown crispy crust, but because it is cheese and not egg, it will taste good.
  1. Load more activity