• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Dinner the last couple of nights has been steak flavoured Porterhouse with Zucchini fries (parmesan blanket) and Broc. Porterhouse with Jalepeno Slaw and a Mushroom cream sauce. Yeah I put the Topper as a Bottom. It looks, as previously mentioned, like cat puke.
  3. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Tonight, took this fellow: Yellow Croaker (大黄鱼 dà huáng yú) ... de-scaled, de-finned and gutted him, then fried him otherwise whole with ginger and garlic. Added Shaoxing wine, 豆瓣酱 dòu bàn jiàng (Chilli Bean Sauce) and briefly braised in the sauce. Added scallions. Stir fried some: Golden Bamboo Shoots (金竹笋 jīn zhú sǔn) Served with rice.
  4. Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

Ichiran Ramen with Onsen Tamago, ginger beef and red Yuzu Kosho ...
  5. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Happy St. Patrick's day ...
  6. Valrhona Inspirations

This French company is selling Valrhona Inspirations in small quantities https://www.laboetgato.fr/fr/inspiration/15446-inspiration-passion-couverture-de-fruits-feves-200-g-3333330250706.html I think they deliver world wide, their site now shows currency and language choices while previously it was all French. Their “English” pages show the US flag so I’m guessing they aren’t particularly targeting UK customers. There is technical info on the page linked to above including a tempering guide.
  7. Today
  8. You’re most welcome! I do add citric acid to all the fruit flavors - a bit less for sweeter fruits like cherry and strawberry. I have a real tart tooth, so I like a bit of an edge.
  9. I'm more picky about how they're cooked than how they're cut but steak fries with malt vinegar is a favorite if it's an option. Other than that, I don't really care as long as they're not super-thin crunchy strings. I want some interior fluffy spud with my crispy exterior.
  10. Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

Home made won tons with a twist. They contain river snail meat - a local speciality. With Sriracha sauce dip.The Thai kind.
  11. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

No Popeye’s chicken?
  12. KCRW's Jonathan Gold, with his show Good Food on the Road, also has recommendations you may appreciate.
  13. PureFizz vs SodaStream: your take?

I'm a big fan of iSi generally, just not for carbonating drinks. Even at 42 cents it's wildly more expensive than the other options. And slower, and less controllable, and more of a nuissance. Ideally I'd like a big tank under the sink that holds 20 lbs of CO2, with a regulator and an attachment to carbonate things in regular 2L bottles.
  14. Oh yeah, crinkle cuts always remind me elementary school. I like them, but feel like I'm eating the kids' meal. (does the meal come with a little carton of milk and a bowl of gelatin cubes?)
  15. I'm a fan of thin cut or French fries, especially as a side. Reminds me of really good bistro not to mention they cook quicker... Not a loaded (pardon the pun) question just curious as to what ppl like from both sides of the fence ✌️
  16. I like both. They both have their place.
  17. Steak fries 7 minutes in a deep fryer, with a side of brown gravy. There is nothing better. Comfort food at its finest.
  18. PureFizz vs SodaStream: your take?

Check with CreamRight. I pay 42 cents a hit. And as I believe @nathanm explained, iSi vessels are far less likely to explode.
  19. Yea, I'm shoestring all the way. The only time the thick cut ones are ok for me is if we're having cheese fries, or green chile cheese fries. Even with battered 'scallops' I don't like them too thick.
  20. Chinese pineapple jam, for pineapple tarts in lard pastry; fresh pineapple cooked down with sugar, cinnamon, star anise and white pepper. I don’t cook it down as much as is traditional; I like it a bit zingier and fresher than you’d get in a normal Chinese pineapple tart.
  21. Two different things, really. Im not a fan of thick cut chips. French fries are great. Thick chips have a bad surface to volume ratio. The surface has the fried goodness. The interior is just mealy russet potato. If they are on my plate I might eat two. Maybe. Unless there is mayonnaise.
  22. Not sure if there is already a previous thread on this topic but I am interested in your opinions & experiences
  23. PureFizz vs SodaStream: your take?

BTW, I'm still working on using up the gas in the first of my two CO2 tanks. (which can, of course, be refilled at a sporting goods store)
  24. Home Made Ice Cream (2015– )

Oddly the MC gelato tastes like dairy. Hard to believe, I know.
  25. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Kim I was going to say chili mac or was it the salads Feel better soon!!!!
  26. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

I have a sinus infection. Dinner last night called for comfort food and a guilty pleasure: Hamburger Helper. Broccoli and salad, to make it slightly more healthy!
  27. Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

Due to my current sinus infection, lunch yesterday was carb heavy comfort food: Dressing, gravy and toast.
  1. Load more activity