• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Here are the burger buns before baking: And after: The oven spring on these is really impressive. They could probably have been proofed another fifteen minutes or so, though.
  3. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

JoNorvelleWalker, Beautiful loaf. Grilled baby back ribs Italian style. Rubbed with fresh garlic and seasoned with a mix of crushed fennel seed, rosemary, oregano, salt and pepper. Served with Caprese salad and roasted potatoes. Caramels with Sea Salt for dessert.
  4. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

This morning's dinner: Black Bean Cassoulet, at least cassoulet is what the recipe calls it. Good stuff. I try to make it once or twice a year as it's the only action my second largest Le Creuset ever gets to see. Served with boule and Boursin.
  5. Today
  6. Next, Memo's Mexican Restaurant, the Tacoma location. They have something called the Washington Burrito, which is very close to what I was looking for. It has thin french fries in it, with steak pieces and melted cheese. What a great combination of flavors! I've attached a photo for those who may be curious.
  7. Wow. Good work. Did you make a special jig or press to bend it over/with? Wouldn't want to use a hammer or cheap dowel or a vise or anything! Sheesh, this is technical, sort of like Jacques Pepin's new knobs for Staub. Does Ruhlman offer a spoon cut across on a bias so that it can scrape AND scoop? Nobel Prize material for anyone without a file or angle grinder, dont'cha think? We're doomed.
  8. The only difference I can see between @Anna N's and @Raamo's loaves there is that anna's was perhaps rolled out thinner (there's more spiral in her loaf) - I wonder if this contributed to the tunnel.
  9. In the morning I will be heading out to Webbers Falls to participate in a friend's family farm tradition. Corn Grinding. Absolutely fresh corn meal. Think polenta, spoonbread, the most fabulous cornbread. What cheese should I pick up for my first pot of polenta with wilted greens and roasted chicken? I have some goat cheese brie in the fridge.
  10. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Made pasties tonight with a mix of venison and beef, and the usual veggies of rutabega, potato, carrot and onion. They were delish! Dessert was pumpkin pie made with the pumpkins from the garden. Also made pumpkin whip-dip for my grandson who is allergic to eggs. Graham crackers are the perfect tool for transferring the dip to his adorable little face. =)
  11. A week in Buenos Aires

Enjoying your blog. Thank you for sharing.
  12. Tried a new to me method for roast beast: Eye of round seasoned and sauteed on all sides in the Instant Pot. Add 1/2 cup of water, Manual high pressure for 4 minutes. Leave for one hour. Turned out a lovely medium rare. Made gravy in the Instant Pot for the Man. Spuds were 25 min manual high for whole potatoes. Green beans sauteed in butter and garlic.
  13. Yet another reason to like the Instant Pot: the liner pot can be used as a sous vide vessel for small packages, without needing a hot pad.
  14. Well, if DOE and the folks who've measured the actual efficiency change their minds, I'm all ears. Not in my experience. Luddites come in critical and unthinking flavors. But considering the huge ## of circulators going into the aspirational market/wired set right now, I wouldn't bet on a high % of them being "well-schooled". $600 in bookshelf candy (and a tub of meat glue) does not make a cook "Modernist". Thing is, if it's subjected to any external heat at all after it towels off from the bath (assuming it was bathed to equilibrium in the first place), it's got a gradient and isn't completely "consistent". We can quibble over how to best minimize that gradient, but it's there, guaranteed. Whether it's finished under the SV Everything guys' flamethrower or in a Bessemer oven. Oh, please. 'Luddite' is what, a laudatory term? In all honesty, there are plenty of fanboys (and -girls and -fluid) who buy these sub-$100 things simply because it's fashionable or believed to be a shortcut to becoming an accomplished cook. To pretend otherwise is indeed foolish. I really don't have a dog in this fight. If SV--or Sue Veed--improves my cooking, I'm all for it. But it better make sense, and be a qualitative improvement. Otherwise it's just fashion, gear worship and funiculation. What I'm finding is that the avenue of improvement is a lot narrower than the hype. If this is unsurprising to some, shame on me, the slow learner. Where do you (or anyone else) consider that SV gives you the most bang for the buck/hour spent? Please don't say green vegetables... Thanks.
  15. Brilliant. Congratulations. Edited to add: Now I can go to bed!
  16. Ice cream for dinner. I am an adult and can do it! And you can park your dog at the entrance. Goat cheese dulce de leche and passion fruit for me, coconut and pistachio for DH.
  17. I was following this advice from Eater: You might want to ignore your Spanish dictionary when figuring out meat temperatures because the translations won’t help you in Argentina. Surprisingly, the majority of local palates prefer well-done meat, so if you like your steak rare, ask for it bien jugoso, or vuelta y vuelta for blue. If you tend to order steak medium or medium-rare, request it jugoso. Apunto steaks are usually medium-well, while saying “cocido” will get you a dry, burnt piece of sadness. And tourist traps create fun stories! A bottle of Malbec made life better.
  18. It's NEARLY cool - couldn't resist - I have to be up stupid early for work (like 4am) so it's time! And look - no big tunnel to France. Just a small one - my wife says ATK solves this by doing a braid and cutting it in half. And frosted - My wife didn't want to pipe the frosting on - so it's like a giant cinnamon roll.
  19. Food art at MALBA museum.
  20. Sorry to hear that. Sometimes tourist traps are unavoidable. Is the Argentinean definition of rare/medium etc similar to that in the US?
  21. We had sweet breads, assorted sausages, rib eye. I ordered rib eye bien jugoso, supposedly rare. It was medium at best and not rested. Food was rather average. Walked right into tourist trap!
  22. It rained all morning and afternoon. We took an uber to Don Julio for lunch. This restaurant is recommended by Eater, guide books. It also ranks highly on 50 best Latin America restaurants. There was a line when we got there. Free sparkling wine at the entrance. The wait for inside table was hour and a half. We opted for an immediate seating outside. They have rather sharp steak knives with the logo and cowhide for placemats.
  23. Well I am way beyond done with this stupid weather - we've managed 68 to 71 for a week with overnight low in high 50's BUT predicted 88 byThanksgiving. So so erratic the plants can't adjust. GGRRR!!! I've pretty much given up and only have some herbs and radishes (for the greens) - if we should have any rain I will forage mallow and dandelions -some mallow chubbing on the drainage water from the one pot
  24. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Oh yes Annna =miso plays so well wth winter squash!
  25. My wife suggested we have BBQ pork shoulder for dinner on Wednesday when her brother comes to town for Thanksgiving... awesome, another excuse to bake! Tonight I'm making the Modernist Hamburger Buns. I've made the recipe from Modernist Cuisine several times with excellent success, and this one is only slightly different (they omit the lemon oil and vanilla, and use bread flour instead of a soft wheat flour). Here's the dough after mixing to medium gluten formation (it only gets one fold after this, so except for needing a biga it's quite fast to make):
  26. I don’t know and that’s the truth. I just carry on with my life and every once in a while go over and check it. I’m guessing somewhere around two hours. Now I’m becoming anxious for you!
  27. Thanksgiving Side Dishes

Smoked turkey consommé Turkey Rillettes Cauliflower Polonaise Turkey Leg Ballotine with chestnuts, Brussels sprouts and cranberries. Pan Coudon (bread with candied quince inside) Glazed root vegetables with dried cranberries, sourdough, walnuts and vinegar
  1. Load more activity