• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Sourdough - slight mistake - had kitchen manual open - saw 315 grams - added 315 grams of levain. Had to fiddle the water a bit to bring it back to the correct total (of course their is more flour with more levain and I didn't bother to correct for that) it was a lively dough during the folds! Baked this am am in the CSO at 450 for 35 minutes. Preheated the stone on convection bake for 15 minutes
  3. Thanks. My fingers are crossed so tightly I may be able to do nothing for the rest of the day until I get my breads baked. Couldn’t leave it at just chocolate brioche. I also have a Farmer’s bread on the go made only with levains. I have one proofing at room temperature and one cold proofing in the refrigerator. The recommendation of course is for cold proofing but the book also suggests that if you are going to proof at room temperature you leave it uncovered. I find that idea so nerve-racking that I have thrown tea towel over it I know. Oh ye of little faith. Anxiously awaiting your results.
  4. Nice, @Anna N. I programmed my oven to preheat itself this morning (and it actually did so!) so I've got two of yesterday's loaves in there baking right now.
  5. @Eric Srikandan -- what sort of oven are you using? Did you proof free-form, or in a basket or bowl?
  6. Chocolate brioche dough ready to be refrigerated. If elasticity is a good indication of good gluten development then the gluten is well developed in this dough.
  7. My attempt last night. Was too late to taste as I finished about 2am but my wife said it was good for her breakfast.
  8. Today
  9. Appliances for Renovated Unit

Thank you all. It seems that GE would be a good solution. I was searching on the internet and stumbled upon this Ge PK7800SKSS double wall ovenmicrowave, any thoughts on this?
  10. Thank you. I was already well into the process when I saw your response to my request for gotchas. I am using a Bosch compact mixer and I am extremely solicitous of it. I didn’t need to read the manual to know that high speed was not where it was likely to stay for very long so I immediately reduced the speed to something I found comfortable to watch and hear. The temperature held steady at 25° for quite some time but then crossed over to 28° shortly after I read your comments. It had been mixing for better than 16 minutes but I did not feel the gluten was fully developed. I stopped the mixer covered the bowl and stuck it into the refrigerator. The freezer is not an option at this point. The instructions for this dough do stress adding the butter in three stages alternating with the sugar and salt mixture but does suggest mixing it only to medium gluten development before adding the butter and salt sugar. Then suggests that you continue mixing to full gluten development. I am going to leave the dough in the refrigerator in the bowl for 30 minutes and then continue mixing and hope to reach full gluten development and a fully emulsified dough. Hard to express how much I appreciate your coaching.
  11. Ha ha. I am the one who gives the gifts she just receives them but she does it so well.
  12. Prepare a lenghty Christmas list to give to your granddaughter, this year you deserve more gifts than usual! Chris already wrote that you need to watch the gluten development and not the mixing time. The other critical point is adding butter in small amounts and not all at once (otherwise you break the emulsion), but I'm confident it's well explained in the books. I would add that it's better to read the manual of your stand mixer (or whatever machine you are using). If you are using a stand mixer for home use (small Kitchen Aid, Kenwood or whatever) then they are not engineered to work at high speed with heavy doughs. Brioche is not as hard as a low idration bread dough, but it's still in the heavy dough category. The mechanics of small stand mixers are not built to stand the stress of mixing heavy doughs at high speed, you don't break the machine immediately, you keep ruining the gears and they will break in the medium term (few months / a couple of years with average home use). This is the major reason behind home stand mixers maintenance: people don't read the manual and mix heavy doughs at high speed. For example with a Kitchen Aid Artisan Tilt-Head you don't have to go over speed 2. So please read your machine manual before slowly damaging it. Slow speed means more mixing time, just watch gluten development. Or to be more precise: watch the emulsion. With brioche you add the butter when you already developed the gluten, the critical point is keeping the emulsion, not developing gluten since it's already developed. The final window test with brioche is meant to check that it's perfectly emulsified. Another critical factor, expecially with enriched breads that have a lot of butter, is watching the dough temperature. Ideally you should remain in the 22°C-26°C window. The best thing to do at home is to check the dough temperature every 5 minutes. If it reached 26°C then transfer the dough in the freezer for 5 minutes, then resume mixing. If you have enough space in the freezer then just put the mixer bowl with the dough inside, less work and more effective. Teo
  13. There is no doubt that potential risk exists. Raw milk may be contaminated with brucella, listeria, salmonella, e. coli, or campylobacter. So why do some people choose to consume high-risk foods such as raw milk, raw oysters, raw fish (sushi), raw beef (steak tartare,) raw egg, raw fruits and vegetables, etc.? The answer is—flavor! Those willing to accept the risk should be permitted to consume whatever THEY choose!
  14. Camel Milk

The logo is easy: a camel with a R and A on the two humps. Teo
  15. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

The same as I had for lunch — only better— because I remembered the cheese.
  16. Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

Poached eggs on toast. These were farm-fresh eggs so I poached them conventionally.
  17. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Tonight: Spit-roast duck, sauce Bigarade. Sauce Bigarade recipe from Raymond Sokolov's The Saucier's Apprentice p44. Lacking Seville oranges, energy, and space on the stove, I used French marmalade as a substitute for candying my own orange and lemon peels. Taking a tip from @Duvel my MR was based on Riesling. (Not shown.)
  18. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! We had a quiet meal with just the two of us. Turkey (a small 10 pounder) cooked on the pellet smoker, snap peas in butter, cooked ALV, mashed cauliflower and scratch-made mushroom gravy. Glass of Maggio Old Vine Zin (Lodi) and store-bought cherry pie for dessert.
  19. Camping, Princess Style

My GF and I are in much the same boat. She cheerfully describes herself as a "lizard," who'd be happy to perch under a heat lamp all day (and has been known to light the woodstove in August). Unfortunately for her she's a redhead, and has been sharply limited over the years in terms of how much time she can spend on a beach (ie, 15-20 minutes). If you ever want to know what "rhapsodizing" sounds like in real life, start her on the subject of SPF 100 sunblock. This past summer she was able to spend whole days at the beach with her toddler granddaughter, to our shared pleasure.
  20. So, alternate the heat with the cold air? I had the air blowing in there at 61F. I have a hair dryer strictly for chocolate use, also to the left of the panner. I used that to clean the panner our before the glazing phase. So, I could also use that to alternate with AC? I'm just not sure how to go about that- as in, at what point would I know to use hot air instead of cold? It did seem like a fair amount of chocolate was wasted on the area where the agitators are attached- on the back wall of the panner. The chocolate was tempered, and at 88.6F, I believe. (I used the little chocovision tempering machine to the left the panner.) I have an Idylis AC unit that stands the right of the panner, on the floor- which is my cold air source. I salvaged / swiped an extra piece of the stretchy aluminum tubing during the home rebuild, exactly for this purpose. So, I taped and sealed one end of the tube onto the AC vent, ran the tubing through a wire coat hanger, and rigged it so the other end would blow on the area where it looked like the majority of the beans were landing. The cold air flow was pretty impressive for such a goofy set up. I used a ladle to slowly pour chocolate in an even manner over the beans as they tumbled. I had them going at med-slow, then increased it to medium. Once they were dry, I took them all out, wiped down the interior quite thoroughly, poured the beans back in, and then proceeded to drizzle in the 40g of confectioners glaze. I let run for a good 30 min just to make sure everything was completely coated. (And to get rid of that horrid stink from the glaze.) I wasn't sure what speed to run the espresso beans at, and if I should have used agitators. It seemed like the agitators were necessary to break the beans apart some. But, I am not fully convinced of that now, because I think it might have dented the coating. Which, would be true for anything, wouldn't it? I can't think under what condition the denting/uneven finish wouldn't happen with those inside there. I have some malt ball centers that I can run for another trial. Not for trial are the Montmorency dried cherries- which I have no intention to waste. I'd love to get those panned, to sell. I am really looking forward to learning how to work this little beast properly, and make some nice products. Thank you for all of your help!!!!
  21. Lyon for 2 months ?

AnnH, please consider reporting back here with your findings. We'd like to see more of you!
  22. Camel Milk

Andrew Zimmern has an episode with Camel Milk from the USA..
  23. You may well have been very lucky. When I lived in Wisconsin in the mid-'50s there was an outbreak of Brucellosis and also Undulant fever in humans, caused by brucellosis and it can be totally debilitating. Several kids in my school who lived on dairy farms were affected, as were some of their parents. One family has all but the mother affected and so were their two dairymen. The health inspectors quarantined 20 farms in the area and the commercial companies refused to buy milk from any farms in the two counties affected, even though some were free of the infection. Our star basketball player went from being a top athlete to walking with difficulty, hunched over like an old man.
  24. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American folks. Best wishes for a great meal and family gathering. so far the meals look delicious.
  25. Short introduction

Hi, Derek! Welcome! Tell us where your food interests lie!
  26. Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

Love that Lazy Magnolia beer.
  27. In the immortal words of Jimmy Buffett: Boat drinks.Waitress, I need two more boat drinks.Then I'm headin south 'fore my dream shrinks.I gotta go where it's warm. That's me. Gotta go where it's warm. I love snow when we get it here, because it's like the one we had last winter; started about dusk, absolutely gorgeous, big fat fluffy flakes, world totally white by midnight, gorgeous the next morning, and it was all gone by 3 p.m. Perfection. Looking foward to hitch-hiking along on your adventures. If you come through Memphis or the NE Arkansas area, give me a shout!
  1. Load more activity