• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

day off today so a chance to make lunch at home...bought a fresh whole wheat Portuguese roll, pulled some of the stuffing out of it. Melted cheddar on the two inner surfaces, tuna on top, then sliced grape tomatoes. Was going to eat open faced, but decided to slam both halves back together to contain the tomato pieces. My kind of tuna melt (not a huge fan of mayo).
  3. eG Cook-Off 76: Consider the Schnitzel

Thanks, @Tropicalsenior - I wondered if it was to do with firming up the coating. I've never had a problem with it falling apart, but I might give it a try to get some of that puff!
  4. eG Cook-Off 76: Consider the Schnitzel

I'm not Shelby but maybe I can help. The reason for resting the meat in the fridge is that it hardens the breading and it doesn't fall apart when you saute it. It also helps create that little puff between the breading and the meat. I rest mine in the refrigerator because I live in the tropics and I can't leave it on the counter.
  5. Cooking with Six Seasons by Joshua McFadden

Spaghetti with Swiss Chard, Pine Nuts, Raisins and Chiles from Six Seasons p 301. A solid pasta dish that I enjoyed very much. No big revelations, although the idea of plumping raisins in wine vinegar, as done throughout this book, is one I will certainly use where dried fruits are used in savory dishes.
  6. eG Cook-Off 76: Consider the Schnitzel

I'm enjoying this - @Shelby, I covet your pheasant and your sauce sounds great. A question: several posters have mentioned resting the breaded meat in the fridge before cooking it. What's the reason for that? I've never done it; am I missing out on something?
  7. I've moulded a CW 2295 now. Let's see how much chocolate I get on the edges of my bonbons when they're done.
  8. Breakfast! 2018

We went to the Rincon center branch of Yank Sing for dim sum yesterday. If you've never been there, it's a restaurant located in the food court section of Rincon Center. Their main location is at Stevenson Street. There were so many people there just for the dim sum service that tables were set up outside of the restaurant in the court itself. At right is their "to-go" restaurant. We had: Chicken satay. At left are shrimp dumplings. Chive pastries with sesame sauce. Crispy sea bass. Pork dumplings Mushroom dumplings Soup dumplings Potstickers Braised chicken feet Not as good as previous versions I've had. They were covered in a sweet gloppy sauce...disappointing. We missed the Peking duck cart too. Oh well. Total bill came out to $200 for four people. There were some other things ordered not shown - melon balls, egg tarts, mango pudding.
  9. Today
  10. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Dinner for four: Insalata di puntarelle (puntarelle with a dressing of olive oil, anchovy, Meyer lemon juice and garlic) Spareribs braised in tomato sauce (lard, garlic, canned plum tomatoes, salt, pepper) Broccolini with garlic, anchovy and olio nuevo Homemade lactose-free pistachio ice cream
  11. Buying Japanese knives (UK)

I have a bunch of Japanese knives, but only one with Damascus cladding. It's purely cosmetic. Blade geometry, grind, and steel type are much more important than how the knife looks (unless you like paying money for shiny things just because they shine how you like them).
  12. Jewish Deli Rye using the above mentioned resuscitated levain.
  13. Orange slice/spearmint leaves recipe?

You rock. Thanks. I'll post photos of test batches and let you know how they come out.
  14. Looks like its around half the weight of the sugar - so around 15 lbs.
  15. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

@cakewalk--- forgot to tell u I added and egg also
  16. Orange slice/spearmint leaves recipe?

Kerry - I'm interested in scaling down your recipe to a 2 lb batch , but the instructions mention corn syrup ... no corn syrup in the ingredient list. Can you supply the amount of corn syrup for the 100 lb. batch? Thanks in advance.
  17. Prime Rib Roast

I often do hams in oven cooking bags. leave the top of the bag open. Lower it into the water to displace the air. I just use a clamp, a clothes pin would do, to hold the end of the bag out of the water.
  18. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

I grated in a food processor 2 zucchinis. pre-salt 15 mins or so./ squeezed the heck out of them in a tea towel about 30 mins later/ then changed the tea towel. to a dry one and placed on a tray and pressed with heavy cans for about 4 hrs..to really dry it out. Then in a bowl I added the shred/ then asigo cheese about 2/3 C/ followed by almond flour/ garlic and Basil and then spread it on parchment..Par baked 20 minas @475 in Bottom of oven on a stone After the dress I moved the Pizza stone to top of oven to finish
  19. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

@kayb - My Italian-American family came from around and near the Delta area – Shelby and Rosedale Mississippi, Little Rock and Memphis, up from NOLA for jobs. They mostly ended up in the Washington DC area. I grew up in a tamale loving family and couldn’t figure out why none of my friends had even heard of them. Years later I discovered the tamale/Delta connection. @caroled has roots in the same area and (I think) great uncles who married Italian girls. Her mother (@racheld)and I have always hoped that we were related by marriage in some way! @Shelby – I’m having the best time looking at all the food you are making from your food adventure in the big city! @CantCookStillTry – I am enjoying the meals that you are posting and I have to say that I love your writing – your “voice” really comes through. LOL is an overused thing, but I truly have found myself laughing out loud at some of your posts. So glad you found us! @Paul Bacino – I agree with @cakewalk! That actually looks good. I don’t care for zucchini ordinarily, but I like it in fritters and that looks just crispy enough to pass the test. We have been mostly eating out for the last couple of weeks. We had almost every room in our house painted last week so I spent the week before clearing out things, then a week and a half basically sitting in the dining room (only large room NOT being painted) and now am in the midst of putting stuff back together. Thrilled to have the work done, but not conducive to cooking! I did make @caroled's baked beans for a church potluck. They are my go-to for baked beans now, if I don’t do them from scratch. Everyone loves them. I also made Paula Deen’s “Chinese Salad” (). I could only find incredibly enormous Napa cabbage heads, so we’ve been eating THAT for awhile. A couple of nights ago: Chili dogs and carole beans:
  20. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Okay, we need to know more about that crust. I've seen a lot of cauliflower pizza crusts around the web but they don't look too hot to me. But that zucchini crust actually looks like it could stand up to its toppings. Can you tell us what you do?
  21. Episcopalian here. We are observing Lent again this year by giving up restaurant eating and donating what we figure we usually spend to the Food Pantry. We've done it for the last couple of years and it seems an appropriate abstention. We love to eat out, so it is a sacrifice, but it becomes a service with the donation. Since Sundays are excepted, we can still do brunch after church, too!
  22. eG Cook-Off 76: Consider the Schnitzel

Pork tenderloin schnitzel, in a sandwich with lettuce, tomato and mayo. Very satisfying! Very economical, as well. HC
  23. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Zuccini Crust Hamburger Pizza The Shred The Dough--dried Zucchini/Asiago cheese/ Garlic /Basil/Almond Flour ParBake 475 20 mins on a stone Topped with Proval cheese/ Sauce/Burger The finish The Slice:
  24. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

@Shelby That pork belly looks great. At least you have nothing to be jealous of with my dinner. My housemate brought home chicken take out last night. He likes to contribute to dinner once in awhile, either that, or he just gets hungry for fried chicken. I don't make fried chicken because I'm never quite satisfied with the results so I'm just as happy with takeout. All I had to make was coleslaw. I’m not so happy with the condiments that come with the chicken. These tortillas that they hand out, have to be the worst in Costa Rica. They have the flavor and texture of a paper towel made of corn and are scientifically designed to disintegrate when you try to wrap them around something. They call this interesting little item banana ceviche. it consists of green bananas and jalapenos steeped in a banana vinegar. It is vile. My housemate won't touch the peppers but he loves the bananas. He's welcome to them. The chicken was done well, very moist with a well seasoned crispy crust. They do chicken well here, and they do a lot of it. There are six take out chicken restaurants within a five block radius of my home. This one came from a takeout place about a mile from the house.
  25. Pickles

Prawn Balchao is a very famous Goan pickle that has a sweet, spicy and tangy flavor to it. For the balchao paste you will need: > 8-10 kashmiri red chillies > 4-5 Byadagi red chillies > 1/2 tsp cumin seeds > 1/2 tsk turmeric powder > 1 tsp peppercorn > 6 garlic cloves > 1/2 tsp cloves > 1 inch cinnamon stick > Vinegar First you will need to marinate about 250 grams of prawns in some turmeric powder and salt. After 15 minutes deep fry them in oil till them become golden n crisp. Set them aside and add tsp vinegar to them and let it sit for 1 hour. Now, make a paste of all the ingredients mentioned under the balchao paste and make sure not to add any water. In the same pan used for fryin the prawns, add in some chopped garlic and ginger. Lightly fry them and immediately add one whole chopped onion. Next, add the balchao paste amd let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the prawns and cook until the gravy thickens. Finally add 1 tsp sugar and salt according to your taste. Allow it to cool. This can be stored in a glass jar. Let this mature for 1-3 weeks before its use. Make sure never to use water at any stage. This can be enjoyed with a simple lentil curry and rice.
  26. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

@liamsaunt Magimous Screw Extractor Set Screw remover bits ...cheap
  27. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

My dream kitchen has Sub Zero. In my dreams only.
  1. Load more activity