• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Selek is indeed beetroot. The dough is made of semolina and eggs. Some versions add meat to the dough. I make my dough drier and more pasta like, in order to be able to roll it thinly in a pasta machine. Not very traditional, but works great.
  3. The Soup Topic (2013–)

@Okanagancook True. Textures are important in any dish, and smooth soups are calling for contrast. This reminds me that under the soup surface are thin rice noodles (chewy noodles are another way to add texture and IMO are too often reserved for clear soups).
  4. Today
  5. I've had the CSO for a number of years now, but have yet to actually bake bread in it. Reading through the Modernist Bread thread on this forum I see many of you are using the CSO to great effect, which is heartening. To that end, I would like to know about your experience baking bread in it – what sort of extra equipment you use (pans, cast iron? etc), what breads work the best, any corrections you find yourself making, or anything you feel might be useful to someone else using the CSO. Thank you!
  6. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Has this been posted to recipe gullet? I couldn’t find it.
  7. Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

The Kindle version of The Rye Baker: Classic Breads from Europe and America is currently $1.99 on Amazon.com but not on Amazon.ca
  8. Kerry with Julian Rose from Moonstruck chocolate. Kerry teaching session on tempering, and her booth.
  9. We did last time. They are here at the show.
  10. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

My wife thought since we have had awesome beet salads at fancy restaurants before we should try to make our own. Butter lettuce, roasted beets, toasted walnuts, grated parmigiano-reggiano, balsamic vinaigrette, and fresh ground pepper. Served with toast from the white sandwich bread I made earlier. Verdict: amazing!!
  11. @daveb what sort of place are you cooking?
  12. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Salmon, cooked SV, no sear. I tried putting some maple syrup in with salmon while cooking as opposed to putting it on after. Didn't have much effect or flavor, except on the edges. Won't be doing that again. Served with steamed Brussels sprouts and salad.
  13. Rob has it right....but here is a video of Susanna Yoon at Stick With Me Sweets in NYC making these Bon Bons from start to finish...the painting is at about 0:46. http://www.instyle.com/videos/stick-with-me-sweets-how-to-make-bonbons
  14. I never got past the crackling! Drool worthy.
  15. Jo, The full bottom round is cheap - probably for just those reasons. Thus I have it on the menu in various forms 3 - 4 times a week. (Keeps the Anova humming) The roast is heavily seasoned (by SV standards) and bagged and tagged. 24 hrs is good, 48 is better. I use 141F to comply with Federal, State, County, Corporate, requirements. None of these entities know what SV is - I tell inspectors its an electric bain marie. And that's ok. The resultant product is then sliced thin for sandwiches, sliced as above for roast beef, cubed for beef stew, pot roast, or chunked for stir fry. It's fall apart tender and kind of tastes good. My gravy game has improved since I've been here. And by using the round I can put Tloin or PR on the menu once a month. Cmon down to Fl and I'll buy you lunch.
  16. I'm not sure where to begin: last night my baguette was clearly overproofed before I even shaped it. Since the advent of Modernist Bread all my baguettes have been more or less overproofed. This time I preformed CPR and the result was one of my best baguettes ever. What am I doing wrong? After autolysis I mix for 10 minutes on speed 1 of the KitchenAid and 2 minutes on speed 2. I fold the dough, wait 45 minutes and fold again. After another 45 minutes I divide the dough, pre-shape, wait 20 minutes and then shape. Please critique. If it's not clear this recipe is French Lean Bread.
  17. Query about lamb stew meat

Asking, not arguing, but will silver skin really, really melt above 170 deg F? Edit: and for lamb stew my choice would be neck meat.
  18. Query about lamb stew meat

I would remove the skin, trim off any gross fat and cut it into 2-3cm slices or cubes and braise it for about 3+ hrs in any liquid you like until it is really tender. Remove the meat and let it cool. Now take it apart by hand separating meat from remaining connective tissue and fat. Chill the remaining braising liquid and remove the fat, heat it back up to dissolve the gelatin, strain to get rid of the extra bits. Now add 0.6% by weight locust bean gum (about 1t for two cups), blend it with an immersion blender and heat it up to 190°F/88°C to fully hydrate the LBG. It should have the viscosity of a light cream sauce. Combine with the meat and adjust seasoning and you are good to go.
  19. Do you cook with a "360" vision?

Yes taste is at the core as well as the love and care you put into the food you serve. I know that were she alive my maternal grandmother who suffered much food privation in work camps and on the run as a refugee, would have diffficulty with the spice heat in my food, but would be quite happy when I add foraged wild fennel to the cucumber & sour cream salad or introduce coconut milk versus cream in a dish..
  20. Cooking with Six Seasons by Joshua McFadden

Pan-Roasted Carrots with Carrot-Top Salsa Verde, Avocado and Seared Squid from Six Seasons p 140. This recipe is in the Early Summer section of the book but I had nice carrots with fresh tops from the local farmers market so I decided to give this one a try. I'm very happy that I did. This dish has a lot of ingredients that I don't regularly use together so I really didn't know what it would taste like. There's a carrot-top salsa verde (some tasty stuff!) made with carrot tops, mint, parsley, scallions, lemon zest, a little hot sauce, salt & pepper and olive oil. I have some leftover and will follow the suggestion in the recipe header to use it as a condiment with simple roasted carrots. In addition to the carrots and squid, there's also pickled pepperoncini and pickling liquid, avocado and roasted pistachios. I thought pan-roasting the carrots was a bit fiddly but I did it. May try just roasting them in the oven next time.
  21. What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

Sous vide is a powerful technique but short of a meson cannon or a meat slicer I can't see making beef round tender. (Spoken as a cranky old woman with poor dentation.) And short of a miracle I can't see imparting any flavor.
  22. Pasteurization is usually only recommended if you're you're going to cook-chill-store or are serving food to people with compromised immune systems. It's not required for cooking SV poultry or for SV cooking generally.
  23. I don't understand the "way too long" part. Pasteurize the chicken breast and it can sit in the refrigerator for weeks until needed.
  24. Crawfish etouffee over a number of different fried proteins is good. Catfish PonchartrExain, for one example. I was referring mostly to KFC's ability to take a number of things that ought to be good -- fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, gravy -- and render them absolutely nasty. Except, as mentioned above, biscuits.
  25. Saveur has an interesting interview with the person responsible for accurately recreating the food New York residents would have enjoyed in 1896 on a new show called 'The Alienist'. The show premieres in the US on Monday, January 22. I'll have my eyes peeled for wide-tined ice cream forks and bone dishes!
  26. Well if that's all...
  1. Load more activity