• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. The Food Photography Topic

This is an amazing thread, I read it months ago and I didn’t understand what half the comments were saying. I went back today and reread it and the comments are gold. Real knowledgeable people here. Using the polarizing sunglasses is epic, thank you @dcarch
  3. Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker grits?

I mentioned that I can make excellent IP polenta but I've failed completely with the Barkely's Mill grits. I took a look at their website to see if they had any suggestions and indeed, they give two methods: Basic Pressure Cooker Grits. They say that with the first method, "The grits retain a bit of toothsome texture. It takes a few minutes for the grits to smooth out and thicken once they're done." That sounds like a sub-optimal result to me. Maybe adding a pre-soak step as @weinoo referenced from Sean Brock might help with that. The second method requires par-boiling on the stove top for long enough that the grits get suspended in the cooking liquid and don't sink to the bottom. Sounds like that should solve the issue I had but also negates the "set and forget" charm of the IP.
  4. The Food Photography Topic

I use Lightroom only for moving raw files from my iPad into Photoshop on the computer, but for the purpose it works really well. I doubt there is much of a difference among processing raw files in Lightroom, Photoshop, or Bridge.
  5. Ahh, Bisto! The Gravy Mix

I have the beef too so will give that a try. Thanks
  6. Today
  7. Tacos--Cook-Off 39

Ha! Tupperware! Bought many, many years ago - don’t know if they still offer them.
  8. Ahh, Bisto! The Gravy Mix

Oh thats too bad! I've only used the beef bisto so this is good to know!
  9. Tacos--Cook-Off 39

How do you get your tortillas to hold that shape? Never mind, I think I see. Cheater. Where can I buy those?
  10. Andrey Dubovic online classes

Kriss Harvey has also advocated a much cooler temperature than I usually see recommended. He melts the cocoa butter, then tosses it back and forth between two cups until it reaches 29C, then sprays. I haven’t tried that method yet. For those taking the class, let us know what you think of it. I wish I could take it with you—alas, life right now. But I’d love to hear your thoughts and experiences after you complete the course.
  11. Homemade Creme Fraiche

Which culture do you use? I thought a salient feature of crème fraiche was that it was not too tangy? (I knew I'd eventually find a need for a centrifuge.)
  12. The Food Photography Topic

One of my goals is to process raw files in Lightroom.
  13. The Food Photography Topic

I feel like I’m the only one posting? Does anyone care? Or should this thread just die? (Edit: I wrote this a few secs before @paulraphael replied. It’s a sign. Awesome, let’s keep it going!) Ive gotten serious about food photography the last few weeks and even though I’m a itty bitty baby in an ocean of knowledge, I’ve made huge gains just by changing some things. If anyone wants to join me, please post along. Today, I present the blueberry friand. Discuss.
  14. The Food Photography Topic

Raw doesn't really take more time to post-process if you use an application like Lightroom. There will be some default preset (editable by you) that will be applied on import to all your images. If you just take what you get from the default process, then that's the same as if you shot JPEG. But you also have the option to do all kinds of tweaking that go beyond what would be possible without the raw file.
  15. Ahh, Bisto! The Gravy Mix

Made our first batch of chicken gravy. Very easy. The flavour is quite bland...I even added some salt believe it or not. i think if I made it with some of my concentrated home made stock it would be better. Need to play around with it.
  16. Think that was @tikidoc - not sure of technique though.
  17. Some beautiful work done at the workshop. I was particularly intrigued by the decoration shown in the photo below. Anyone know who did it--and how the beautiful pastel effect was created?
  18. Next time don’t throw them out. A giant pop rock could make for an entertaining (and really sweet) bath bomb.
  19. I don't. Nor do I have room in the garden. Will plan for them next year.
  20. Best pot luck recipes

And I've decided, since I bought one of somebody's fundraiser Boston butts and pulled it and put it in the freezer last weekend, I'll just take that rather than smoking a pork loin. Easy, and already done. That just leaves beans and slaw to prep. Slaw before I go, beans once I get there. They're easy.
  21. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Tonight's dinner- fried chicken with gravy and biscuits, with steamed corn on the side.
  22. And when they sit around in their bag for too long in less than perfect conditions, sometimes they turn into one giant pop rock. I was a little slow on that one, took two tossed bags to convince me to either use them faster or not use them at all.
  23. Tacos--Cook-Off 39

Corn Tortillas, Pork Carnitas on Cabbage Slaw, topped with Chopped Onion, Cilantro and Salsa Verde ~ with Black Bean and Corn Salad
  24. Gardening: (2016 – 2017)

I will take some pictures for you. you still have time to plant some, if you have some that is
  25. This was my second time attending. I learned that pop rocks are fussy little buggers. They can stop popping soon after contact with a ganache. The ones I had were still going as of last night, but it’ll be neat to see at what point they stop. I learned that I will likely never attempt making marzipan again. It was a very lengthy process and I’m all about instant gratification. I learned that I have very little self-control when it comes to acquiring new tools for playing with chocolate. It went like this: “not gonna buy a melanger, no space for a melanger, no use for a melanger, etc etc...”. And then after Friday’s class: “What can I get rid of to make space for my new melanger?” It was reinforced just how friendly, kind, and knowledeable folks were. It was really nice to get to know you more. A very special thanks to Kerry and Rodney for coordinating such a feat. The prep involved for the workshop alone is impressive, let alone the master classes and all the other details. I mean Rodney brought and set up an ENROBER for goodness sake! @Kerry Beal & @Alleguede - your effort and expertise is truly appreciated. Happy chocolating, all!
  26. I will freely admit this does not come up to the standard of work in this thread as far as looks goes, but I'll put it up against anyone's as far as taste is concerned. I have contended for ages I have the best cheesecake recipe in the world (it came from Southern Living, about 20-odd years ago, I think). Today, I took two quarts of fresh local strawberries; pureed one of them, and added the puree to the batter. That makes enough batter for my nine-inch pan and my six-inch pan, which is NOT a bad thing. While it was baking, I made a heavy simple syrup (1.5:1 sugar-water) infused with about half a cup of loosely packed mint leaves that I'd rolled between my palms to bruise them. Strained that, and capped and halved the other quart and let them sit in the fridge until the cheesecakes were done. Used the halves, along with some mint leaves I'd let sit in the same syrup, to decorate the tops. The big one is in the freezer for this weekend's pot luck. The little one is in the fridge, having already had a wedge cut out of it.... Damn, it's good.
  27. Now I'm intrigued. I have to try this next year.
  1. Load more activity