• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Wednesday night I made a clean out the fridge corn and cheddar chowder before heading off for a quick vacation. There's more in the freezer for when we get back home.
  3. So the dent in my car and the deer on the side of the road reminded me that I hadn't had time to go to the shooting range lately and pop a few rounds off. I'm not a gun nut, and I don't necessarily enjoy sitting on a hot range shooting at paper circles, but I like to keep my skills sharp. So I took a few hundred rounds and my .22 and had the range to myself. Depending on what I hunt I generally use my 30-06 because in New Mexico I was typically stalk hunting elk, javelina or deer. I think that's too much firepower for Missouri, but I didn't bother with a tag this year because its just not the same here. Seems like most people do private land leases for hunting and sit in blinds waiting for an unexpecting deer to walk through. I don't know if I can handle that boredom. I definitely prefer stalking the animal. But then again, maybe that's why I didn't have much success back in New Mexico. This was the first time at the range when I needed to put a white background behind my hanging targets so I could see the target. I have terrible eyes but corrected near perfectly with my contacts. But last year all of a sudden I needed readers. I'm 49 so I hear that happens. But it was so sudden and timed right with my move to St Louis. One theory I have is that before the move I was foraging 6 days a week in the vast wilderness so my eyes were in a constant state of exercise looking in all directions and all distances. You had to to survive and also because of the beauty of both the flower and the mountain vista. Once I moved to St Louis my foraging dropped to just a couple days a week and you can only see a few yards ahead because land is relatively flat and covered in forest. I think my eyes just stopped being exercised. I've noticed that the past month as I've gone out foraging more, that my eyes have improved slightly. All I know is that it's only going to get worse from here. After shooting we decided to hit the wineries. You may not know this but Missouri has a major role in the world's wine scene. To my taste now they wines are mediocre on a good day focusing mostly on Nortons and Chamberlins, but there's 200 years of growing. THIS short essay gives you the history. The fact that the French wines were saved in part to Missouri wines in pretty interesting. We decided to hit all of the ones in the area in one fell swoop (and we did swoop at the very end). We started at Cave Vineyard which is named after its large cave on the property. They don't really use it and they make you buy a bottle of wine if you want to see it, but its a good start for our wine tour. Next was the Crown Valley Brewery and Distillery. Very big, very corporate feeling but decent enough moonshine and beer. I liked their sour beer enough that I bought a 4-pack to enjoy with dinner. Crown Valley also has a vineyard which left us ready to move on, but there's some history I want to drop in. One of my aunts is an avid genealogist. And in our cabin you can find all sorts of interesting documents that she's brought down over the years. BTW, she has our family line traced back to the 1600s. One of the documents is a recording of all of the grave sites and cemeteries in the region. On one of the pages I found the line "old slave graveyard." Now I'm sure I learned about Missouri's role in slavery and the Civil War back in school, but I'll admit I'm rusty. As I started asking locals, it turned out that this area was filled with old confederate plantations, and in fact, the Crown Valley Vineyard was the largest plantation in the area. They only tore the plantation building down in modern times to put in the vineyard. And, that graveyard can be found on the property of the vineyard (but is not part of the public tour). Hearing all of this opened my eyes as I started reading names on old dirt roads a bit differently, looking at land plots, and thinking about modern Missouri rural politics. [Please remember everyone that we agree not to talk politics on this forum, so let's not and just note the history of this area.] Starting to feel our cheerios, we headed off to Chaumette Vineyard. I kinda liked the wine here - not sure if it was the wine or the placement in our tour. But if you're ever in the area, this is probably the best food you'll find. We eventually sobered up and came back for a belated anniversary dinner and really enjoyed it. Finally we we to Charleville Winery. These are the little guys and I think the best of all of them. Again, if you go and don't like it we'll just say I was sloshed at this point, but I do think its really good. The fun thing is that we could literally walk over the hill for 20 minutes and be at my cabin. By drive it was a bit further but these are neighbors and when I told the owner who I was it was clear that my family had been regulars over the years because she knew a bunch of them. Nice to know my family is keeping up with their indulging! Our grandmother from the area, who died about a decade ago, when we had her viewing we all knew what we had to do - everyone brought cocktails and placed them on her coffin and we had a party. The quote of hers that we all retell the most is when someone mentioned a fatty dessert at a restaurant she said, "Honey, at my age I save all of my calories for alcohol." That's Grandma Irma Okenfuss for you! When I got back to the cabin that night I started looking over a topo map that someone had left which had some interesting markups. Persimmon field caught my eye!
  4. Today
  5. Dessert Pizza

I like white (cheese only) pizzas with fruit. My go-to is ricotta and motz with figs, but any fruit that does well when grilled should work in this format (peaches and cherries for example). What I just can't get is nutella on pizza
  6. Home made bread with no added sugar at level 6. It has barely any color and is already not toast but crispbread. Just saying.
  7. @andiesenji, Thanks for the interesting story about the salt deposits on your family farm. Scary about the arsenic! So do you know anything about these family plates that @gfron1's family owns? Or these ones from @Shelby's family, which seem very similar, but with no provenance? Here gfron1 speculates: A lot of us thought you might know why two different families would have such similar artifacts. If you don't know, that's okay, of course. I just wanted to make sure you had seen them. If you don't know, it will probably remain a great mystery, because you are the expert on old cookware, gadgets, dishes and such. We are all in awe of your knowledge and it's a delight to many of us when you make a new post.
  8. I always have difficulties with 'craft' and 'artisan'. Do they have any legal definition in California or anywhere else? I have even more difficulty with 'best', a completely subjective opinion.
  9. Question for members. Do you consider Karl Strauss to be a craft brewery, albiet one with brewery operations all over southern California?
  10. Serious question. City? County? Greater Southern California Area?
  11. Dessert Pizza

I've had the sugar cookie, cream cheese, fresh fruit version of dessert pizza kayb describes once at a baby shower. It was good and very pretty decorated with multicolored fruits in a sunburst pattern. I think crosswise sliced kiwi fruit is a must here, and I believe the cream cheese "sauce" was slightly sweetened probably with a little honey. I've also had fruit pizza on traditional pizza crust and baked in the pizza oven. The ones around here just dump canned apple or cherry pie filling on the crust and bake. You could make your own fruit pie filling, though. I must admit I kind of like a slice of the cherry pizza pie, but I'm a sucker for sour cherries.
  12. Dessert Pizza

Fruit pizzas are very popular here in China, especially durian pizza which every pizza place has to do. The local Pizza Hut restaurants are promoting them right now. They are, in my opinion, horrible. And I'm a durian lover.
  13. Drinks! 2017 (Part 1)

Choke Artist (Art of the Bar, or on KC) It's like a competition about which spirit has the most funk, the Cynar, the Tequila, or the Sherry.
  14. Cooking with Deep Run Roots by Vivian Howard

Here are the results of Corn under Chicken. Good! Several things I would tweak, though. With nice fresh sweet corn this dish ends up being kind of sweet. I did not add the tsp of sugar that Vivian specifies. I am guessing that it helps caramelize the corn a bit, but this dish did not need to be sweeter, that's for sure. I did not achieve what she considers the bonus of the corn cooking differently in different parts of the tray. I think the reason for that is that there was too much chicken drippings keeping the corn very moist and drippy throughout. It also may be that the freshness of the corn resulted in some released juices to add to the bath. I even trimmed some of the fat from the leg-thigh pieces before cooking, although she does not suggest doing so. If I make it again I would trim off more fat from the chicken. I would balance the sweetness with the kick of some roasted green chiles mixed in with the corn or smoked paprika on the corn and the chicken. The chicken skin was pleasantly golden but not super crisp. My husband suggested that the dish should be finished briefly under the broiler to crisp it up a bit more. Worth a try. We had salads, but I'm thinking some vinegary greens would be an excellent side. So, comforting, yeah perhaps.. School cafeteria not so much. Although you could take it in that direction by using canned corn. I see that I have just used canned corn as a punch line for the second time in one day. Weird.
  15. Pretty! I think a lot of people made their Southsides with lime well before Death & Co though!
  16. The Death & Co. take on the Southside— lemon -> lime simple -> cane syrup + Angostura —was enough to raise it two stars, in my book. Yummy!
  17. Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

This morning, seared foie gras and toast (home made bread). With strong, black coffee, of course.
  18. Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

Here's a side shot with more accurate color.
  19. Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

It's just strips of yellowfin cut into thin strips. I was inspired by a dish I had a while ago at one of Jean-Georges Vongerichten's restaurants in NYC -- "The Spice House". When I ate it, the plating was different and it was served with different garnishes (I recall tapioca pearls). He also had a similar version at his flagship restaurant, with different garnishes, pictured below. After I visited The Spice House, I got Jean George's "Asian Flavors" cookboook, that had a recipe for Tuna Ribbons. Here's a snapshot from the cookbook: I'd always been curious about getting that magical looking plating. First things first, I did the ChefSteps "salgar" dry cure trick on my tuna loin. After the ice water bath, I blotted it dry, wrapped it in paper towels, and popped it in the freezer for 10 minutes. Then the slicing began. I used my Global G-17 27cm chef's knife on a Hi-Soft board I got from Korin. Sharp knives and good boards matter. Cut the tuna into thin strips, wiping the blade down with a moist side towel after every other cut. Once the tuna was cut, I placed it in a bowl with some sesame oil diluted with some neutral olive oil. The JG recipe says to coat them with canola or another neutral oil. Either way, you need to do that to keep the tuna ribbons from sticking to each other. Just prior to service, I dressed them with some quality soy sauce. I wasn't really sure how to plate it. The Three Star Michelin Jean-Georges presentation looks freaking phenomenal in its highest iterations. Here's a pic that I found on Flickr from user Ulterior Epicure: I have no idea how that nesting is done. I have some ideas, but that'll require some more experimentation. But what I did was grab a ring mold and just layer it in one ribbon at a time. It sounds like it'd take a while or be complicated, but I layered all that in there pretty quickly and easily. I was surprised. To make things easier, I moved all the tuna ribbons from their sesame-olive-oil bowl to a parchment-lined sheet tray, with all the strands lined up the same way, which made it easy to grab each new one and layer it on. The color of my tuna is in large part due to the soy sauce, but I used a light-colored high-sodium usukuchi soy sauce to keep it as bright as possible. The other factor is the lighting in my kitchen, which is garbage. But I'll attach another picture with better color and a different perspective just for good measure. I will say that it was freaking delicious and very, very simple. It's basically just tuna, an avocado, and a sharp knife. I just wish I had had some radishes...
  20. I'll make it simple, dont go by weight, go by thickness. 1 hour per inch. Done
  21. Looked at this a few times over the years. Still doesn't do it for me. But thanks for linking anyway.
  22. It's beautiful and since it was all eaten , we know it was delicious!
  23. From what I understood, this is one thing that is baffling the Amazon people. it looks like most of the sales are generated by peer-to-peer advertising. I can't help but wonder how many sales the eGullet Community is responsible for.
  24. I don't know if Shelby made your cheesecake, but I did. I know that I am going to sound like that terrible neighbor that asks for the recipe, then tells you, “I changed this, left that out, and baked it half an hour longer and it turned out terrible. That was a bad recipe you gave me. You must have left something out”. But no, although I had to adapt the recipe proportions according to the pan that I had and use different flavoring ingredients, according to what I am able to get here, I followed your recipe and your clear-cut directions and it turned out great. Thank you. I have been looking for years for a good Savory cheesecake recipe and this one is perfect. I had to substitute salmon for the sun dried tomatoes because, although I can get them here, they are a bit expensive and I didn't feel like selling my car to buy some. I substituted finely diced celery and fennel bulb for the scallions because my housemate is allergic to all onions and garlic. I seasoned it with fresh dill and a few drops of smoke flavor. It turned out beautifully. This is the cheesecake as I turned it out of the pan. I would have posted pictures of it after it was sliced but I had guests and they ate it all.
  25. Michael Symon's "5 in 5: 5 Fresh Ingredients + 5 Minutes = 120 Fantastic Dinners" Kindle Edition $2.99US A lot of Amazon reviewers of this book were shocked (shocked! I tell you) that the recipes actually take longer than 5 minutes to prepare and cook. Insert your favorite PT Barnum quote here... I am a US Prime member and your price may vary.
  26. I have never used steam broil function before. Today I used it twice. First I cooked poblano peppers 5 min on each side 500 degrees (no photo). Skin peeled very easily. chilean sea bass 18 minutes at 450 degrees. Very flaky and moist.
  1. Load more activity