• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

That's a lovely idea ... I will definitely copy that ! Thanks, @Anna N
  3. What cocoa powder did you use? Looks as dark as mine. Love, love this bread.
  4. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

“Peas Stroganoff”. Adapted from a Jane Grigson recipe. Creamed peas with a sliced lamb chop. The lamb was cooked sous vide.
  5. Today
  6. Kosher Barbeque Competitions

Brisket is the test for this upcoming weekend, I had been waiting for local markets to get them in for St Patrick's day and the price just dropped about a dollar a pound. I am recalling how much my family enjoyed meals where my father grilled flank steak which had been marinated in teriyaki sauce, the thin type. My plan for brisket is a one hour marinade plus injections of Kikkoman regular teriyaki. Then a basic rub of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, white pepper, salt, and a little sugar. (the rub helps build bark) At the very end, after slicing, I will brush on a little of the thick Kikkoman teriyaki glaze very lightly. Burnt ends may or may not happen this week. I may cut the brisket in half and run tests a day or two apart. It's pricey testing and a LOT of food. I'll be doing more thighs on Thursday, a couple days from now. My current orange chicken flavor profile is popular with my patron and his family and friends. I have no idea how it's going to go over with other people. This is the first year for this event here, maybe that will help me with a non-traditional flavor. Besides, oranges are a local food here. Anyway, flavorwise, I am simply marinating in teriyaki, smoking with no rub (no need for bark), then dunking in strained and heated orange marmalade, and sprinkling on a tiny amount of 5-spice powder as 'pixie dust'. I trim and remove skins, then marinade for an hour with Kikkoman thin teriyaki sauce. Then I bake in a mini-loaf pan for a couple of hours, turning halfway through. Unlike the link showing how to cook the thighs, which shows putting a pat of butter in each cavity of the pan, plus a pat of butter on top of the (upside-down) bottom of each piece. The woman swears that the butter is what gives the bite-through effect, and I need to find another solution as butter on chicken is NOT kosher. I will possible try doing half with stock and half with oil in the pan to braise the fat. The flavor part is working very well, every tester has loved it. They just don't love the skin, and it isn't performing the way I'd like it to. My egg-white wash under the skins does perform better than thighs without it. Sometimes, when prepping chicken -it takes about 15 minutes per thigh, I dream about thumbing my nose at the judges and just preparing the oysters (which are usually discarded for competitions) with a crispy nickel-sized disk of rendered skin on top like a tiny hat. -Making it really just about one bite. With my luck, that will be considered too avant-garde this year, but, status-quo 5 years from now. Turkey tests will begin in about 2 weeks.
  7. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

You are meant to overstuff yourself; not the rolls!
  8. Food funnies

I was in my local supermarket earlier, looking for a type of pickled vegetable I wanted. They didn't have it, but I spotted this which made me titter. Definitely winner of the "Useless Information" Oscar 2018. I'm in China! Everything is eaten with rice! Even rice is eaten with rice! Then I noticed this. Got to be better than tasteless vegetables. I checked out the ingredients list on the back of each pack. They are identical. Yet the one for rice is a smidgeon more expensive. It takes more ink to write "Vegetable eaten with rice" than "Tasty vegetable", I suppose. No, I didn't buy either.
  9. A Bite of China

I just heard, to my surprise, that series 3 has been completed and is about to be broadcast. I'll add any info I get as to dates, etc.
  10. I'm 100% with you on the spinach. I'm surprised at dill, though. Not something I'd ever associated with Indian cuisine - I would have thought it would be overwhelmed by the other spices - maybe that is why there is a lot of it. Interesting.
  11. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Thanks, @kayb and @dcarch! And the best thing is that the fibers of the tablecloth are somehow coated and you can just wipe over it with a wet cloth to remove stains ... It still feels like regular fabric.
  12. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Got a new wok today so of course I had to try it out! Char siu with young bok choy, snap peas, mushrooms and onion in a sweet sauce of hoisin, soy and cream sherry.
  13. This is kinda cruel to post, because it just passed and won't happen again till next year, but every Chinese New Year, Wing Lei has an amazing dim sum brunch. Wing Lei is the upscale Chinese restaurant at the Wynn, it was the first Chinese restaurant in the US to be awarded a Michelin star (although Michelin is no longer in Vegas). I went back in 2014, it was quite the experience. Cold bar with lobster claws and prawns. Various assortment of dim sum. Pork belly and duck. That was the best pork belly I've ever had. The skin just shattered in your mouth. Shanghai prawns and Chile Beef Tenderloin. Five star spice cake and yuzu cake pops. If they do it again next year, I highly recommend it. It was truly one of my "grand" meals and an experience I won't forget.
  14. Mr. Okra - Arthur Robinson

Yes so sad on his passing but the fact that he was keeping this up in today's world and the following he had moved me. We have tamale vendors with carts near here that call out so it struck a cord.
  15. Ok. I can honestly say that this is the closest I've been to the FOMY (Foods Of My Youth) broth that I remember. As responders has said on here, scrubbing does, well. ...work. I scrubbed the meat immediately after boiling. I even gave it a second rince before the final push. I added two tablespoons of salt and 2 teaspoons of white pepper, thinly sliced ginger and smashed 1/2 garlic clove. The flavour was mostly absent until I added the leaf vegetables 1/2 hour before finish. I slowly heated up the broth until a tiny boil started an hour later and then I cooked for 2 hours. Like I said, the flavour didn't come through until the greens, but it sure popped afterwards. It may NOT be the "powerful" punch I may have expected or desired, but I'm thinking that's not the point. The point is, apparently, to act as an adjunct to the main actors of the show....the wontons (and maybe noodles). Kind of like holding hands after kissing a beautiful woman. Whodda think it?
  16. Suzuya Patisserie - this is a local gem, right in my neighborhood. They are Japanese-run and owned but they focus on French pastries. I go here at least once a month and I've never had a bad experience, they've almost been all good, sprinkled in with some "meh" experiences. I highly recommend their "life-changing" apple pies (John Curtas' words, not mine) and their Japanese cheesecake. This month, their cake-of-the-month is the Mont Blanc, made with chestnut cream. It was decadent but not my favorite cake. I should mention the pastries are more Asian in taste and not as sweet as true French cakes. They also have made-to-order crepes, which are excellent, but I haven't gotten in years, because seriously, crepes are not hard to make at home. Apple pie a la mode in front, Mont Blanc in the back.
  17. I just found this thread, I can add a post or two here. I've lived in Las Vegas for the past eight years and was quite the eater around 2014-2015, going to all the restaurants with reckless abandon. That was four years ago, which is an eternity in restaurant years, but I can still give some recommendations from back then. Nowadays, I mostly eat at home. I just got back from a week-long business trip and I realized that I've become "that f@$k#n woman!" I can't tolerate anything but sublime amazement from any dining experience. But I'm sure my fellow eGullet members can appreciate that. Unfortunately, that means I never eat out and when I do, it needs to be damn-near-amazing. I've briefly read through some of these posts and they're on point. However there's a difference between where tourists eat and where locals eat. Although I do eat on the Strip occasionally (some locals never do) I tend to avoid the Strip and eat in the nearby burbs. We're very blessed because this city is full of excellent chefs, and when they decide to open their own place after years of fine dining, they tend to go to the burbs. So you'll never see me recommending Lotus of Siam (although it's awesome), but I'll recommend Penn's Thai in Henderson. So let's start...
  18. I do heavy-duty thrift shopping once a week, normally on Tuesdays. Retirement allows for that. I will typically shop anywhere from 8-12 stores, sometimes more. Because I have a very specific focus I am normally in and out of any given thrift store in less than 10 minutes unless I have found something. The KitchenAid was basically dumb luck, right time - right place. It had just been rolled out on a cart of merchandise to put on the shelves. Why do I like to shop on Tuesdays? Senior citizen discounts. The knives I find mostly come from 2 stores, one of which I shop weekly, the other I only get to every couple of months because it is out of my normal driving paths and I don't find enough there to justify the gasoline on a regular basis.
  19. Kerry, such a beautiful sunrise, thanks for the photo! Glad you’re eating well at work. What did you do for meals before you brought all your toys in? Are you’re coworkers cooking at work too?
  20. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Stew made from a pork shoulder bone and attached meat, with some roasted and blended ancho, guajillo and arbol chiles.
  21. Cooking with Madhur Jaffrey's Vegetarian India

Spinach with Dill (p. 110) The truth is that I love spinach in pretty much all its guises, but the various Indian spinach dishes are unquestionably my favorites and this one is no exception. It's got a lot of dill and onion in it, plus some fresh tomato added at the end of cooking. The usual spice mixture applies, of course! This one is also pretty heavy on the garlic.
  22. Re FN guys... I trust the Iron Chefs esp Flay and Batali. And Fieri who puts good stuff together when he does cook.
  23. Cooking with Madhur Jaffrey's Vegetarian India

Whole Mung Bean Pancakes (p. 250) These pancakes are made from a batter of soaked, but uncooked, mung beans that are pureed in a blender along with a few spices. They are relatively neutral in flavor, so the book actually uses them as a base for several other variants on the theme. This is just the plain version, served with a spinach dish, rice, and a raita.
  24. Possibly one of the most rustic-looking things I’ve ever made, but also one of the most delicious; dark muscovado brown sugar pavlova, ginger mascarpone cream, almond and cashew praline toffee, and figs. Lots of figs.
  25. I love Food Network chefs, I would say 60% of my cookbook collection is FN Chefs. I hate the network, it's pure retardation, but their cookbooks are great. YMMV. I love Alton, Tyler Florence, and Giada. I have the entire Emeril collection and even have some Sandra Lee, for pure comedy, of course.
  1. Load more activity