• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Yesterday Kerry and I returned to Spoon and Fork in Oakville. It's a chain of Japanese/Thai restaurants. Tea for Kerry. Warm sake for me. Tempura roll for Kerry with pickled ginger and wasabi. Miso soup for Kerry Seaweed salad for me. Calamari. Mixed tempura (shrimp and vegetable). Gyoza Dragon roll for Kerry.
  3. Today
  4. Well, that totally turns my expectations on their head--it's not the type of caramel Greweling's "soft caramel" recipes describe. It is, in fact, the type I make for pipeable caramel, although cooking it to a considerably lower temp for that application. Maybe @Chocolot will chime in and clear this up for me (I think I've asked her this before, but could use more clarification). If I'm not mistaken, I think she makes her wrappable caramels by putting everything (including the dairy) in at the beginning and cooking all to temp. Yes, the only string I've broken so far was on gianduja that got firmer sooner than expected. Now after I pour gianduja into the frame, I virtually stand over it, watching it like a hawk (or like a human who still remembers the encounter with a broken wire), and at the first signs of crystallization around the edges, start testing it with my little knife.
  5. Ive become addicted to the CB's above however , I drain them then use a little TJ's Kalamata olive oil drizzled on them.
  6. Pizza Baking Steel

Here's a review by Kenji Lopez-Alt: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/the-pizza-lab-the-baking-steel-delivers.html He brings up a good point (as others have here) that the weight of the 1/2" is 30 lbs, so it's not very portable and you'd have to make sure your oven could support that. I have the 1/4" and it does a great job. I think the 1/2" would retain more heat but that alone would not motivate me to get it. I do back-to-back pizzas with the 1/4" without issue (without having to wait for the steel to heat back up) and the portability of the 1/4" 15-pounder is important to me. I know I've read another article that does a direct comparison between the two but I can't find it right now. The gist of it was that if you have an oven that can support the 30 lbs AND can be solely dedicated to pizza making (so that you could leave the steel in the oven at all times and not have to move it) AND you don't mind paying more for it, then the 1/2" will yield slightly better results. Otherwise, the 1/4" does a darn good job with nominal differences.
  7. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

roast salmon with simmered cherry/grape tomatoes
  8. I've never seen a new one - think the cheapest used I've seen has been around $7500 - but that's from one of the places that resells and isn't inexpensive. I know you are talking half in jest right now but if you get serious I'd watch auctions.
  9. I see your point. I guess I wasn't thinking about that since there is no natural gas lines available to me but we have a large propane tank outside the house which feeds my rangetop
  10. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Looks great, HC! Care to share crust recipe and cooking temp/time ?
  11. There was a very interesting show on the History Channel some time ago called. "How the states for their shapes" It was based on a book of the same name by Mark Stein. It is full of little known and often quirky facts. The story behind the Missouri bootlheel is one......Last time I checked it was available from Netflix.. Okay, sorry to derail this
  12. This is about as close as I can get to what I remember. Damn. When you are a singleton it's hard to justify a roast/joint. But there are ways around even that especially if you can plan for some leftovers.
  13. Oh good to know Re: The Rissoles. Your information lead me to do a little bit of research and I found a way to (happily) waste half an hour . I have never encountered Rissoles before coming here, my childhood was more just 'bubble and squeak' with the roast leftovers as us formerly veggie hating children devoured every last meat scrap the first go round. All of the recipes I've looked at over here use raw meat, but I'm definitely going to try it out next time I have roasted meat leftover. I have yet to make dinner tonight, the 'Chilli' I thawed over night in that thick opaque Tupperware with no label of any kind, yeah that turned out to be soup. Dinner will still be had, although I am slightly unsure as to when or what.
  14. Yeah, I backed the Spinzall on the first day (still hasn't arrived here yet) and ended up buying this juicer – which I've been very happy with. It even grinds nixtamalised corn for masa! I've had good results clarifying things like quinine in water through an Aeropress (five or six times!). Because you can add pressure – the Aeropress looks like a huge syringe minus the needle – it's much faster.
  15. Cheddar cheese, by an amazing coincidence, originated in the small town of Cheddar in Somerset, Western England. Unfortunately, the Chedderites were too busy making and enjoying their cheese to remember to apply for protection for the name. So, today Cheddar is made everywhere from Somerset to Inner Mongolia. In 2007, "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar" was granted protected status, but that only applies in the European Union. The USA, while bleating on about copyright protection for everything else, blatantly ignores European protection of foods and wines. Cheddar cheese sales in the UK account for over 50% of the market and is the second most popular in the USA (after mozzarella). Yet, few people have tried a real non-industrial, raw milk, cloth wrapped cheddar. Cheese author, Tenaya Darlington, aka all things cheese blogger, Madame Fromage, based in Philadelphia, has blogged a "Guide to Great British Cheddars" which has left me sitting here in China weeping over my plate of Inner Mongolian factory cheddar. Of those she mentions, I have only sampled two - The "Isle of Mull" and the "Montgomery" . Both were great, but the "Montgomery" is sublime. I can only agree with her notes -swoon-worthy cheese. Note: I have no connection with this blog or blogger, but merely pass this on in my determination to bust the ludicrous, ignorant reputation that the UK has for its food. We have some of the best in the world. (I'll be in England next February for a short time. Cheese and seafood are top of the list. Then I might go visit my family!)
  16. In natural disaster-related situations, I think there is value in having multiple cooking options available. My power was back within a day of the Whittier earthquake but it took more than a week before the natural gas was turned back on. Hence my choice to look into both a portable induction burner and a propane grill rather than one with a natural gas hook-up.
  17. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Thin crust, white clam pizza. HC
  18. "The Jesuits I was raised with" - my very favorite place in NOLA is the Jesuit Church - talk about inclusive of all faiths beautiful and embracing oops wrong cut & paste but a good TE D talk

19. Here's an article about a move of the state line to put South Carolina homes and businesses into North Carolina because some trees fell down years ago. A river did not even have to change course for this to become law. It's not pretty, and in some cases where elderly folks' health care has been put into limbo, heart wrenching. The government response is callous by any standard, I would think. It was wise of you to think of these repercussions, gfron1. I wish we had more wise people making decisions for us. It looks like you're having a lot of fun on your vacation. Thanks for taking us along.
  20. Yes us too would use leftover roast meat and chop it or put through the hand crank mincer.
  21. Gas had its advantages when dealing with hurricane induced power outages
  22. @ElsieD: Here's the link to the recipe I used. http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a21033/vadouvan-curry-shrimp-recipe-opr0213/ Let me know how you liked it. I really appreciated my Instant Pot today - a windy rainy chilly day. I forgot to bring out soup bones from the freezer. A package of frozen pork neck bones, half a pot of water, 15 minutes under high pressure and I had great broth. Threw in a bag of Sher Li Hon (much like Chinese mustard greens), a few slices of ginger, and I had soup! Had pulled out a tray of top sirloin steaks bought on sale but had no inspiration, especially after a large bowl of soup. Cut off some thick strips, rubbed on Creole spices and seared on the cast iron grill. Broiled some steamed broccoli with shredded Habanero cheese, made a big salad, and supper was all she wrote!
  23. Drinks! 2017 (Part 1)

Rosebud (from The Art of the Bar) Essentially a tequila Manhattan with a rosewater rinse. Drinkable, but not adding this one to my rotation.
  24. Congratulations @Mmmpomps!
  25. Once I was off that rickety old ferry we were in Illinois. I learned that part of Missouri is in Illinois and part of Illinois is in Missouri. Look at the state line on Google maps and you'll see how the river has changed over the years. Little blips of land are on either side and down south - Kaskaskia Illinois is in Missouri. We wondered how they dealt with law enforcement and insurance and post offices and such. We hit up MODOC then an old limestone fort, but mostly we saw corn ready for harvest. We were there right as the combines were doing their thing. The old fort is deChartres which as mostly reproduction so not extremely interesting but allowed us a photo op in the cellaring room and I thought it was interesting seeing the list of medicines in their museum which were all things that are forageable. This didn't surprise me and in fact, one of my key aids in foraging is the book Native American Medicinal Plants by Daniel Moerman. Really fascinating book that has vast amounts of ancient wisdom. In Kaskaskia we found this super old church and it didn't seem like they were being very churchly with their pecan tree. I don't know but the Jesuits I was raised with would have encouraged you to eat those pecans if you needed them. The quirky stop of the day was at Chester, Illinois. Never saw this coming but was the home of the guy who created the Popeye cartoon. And interestingly, he didn't create Popeye as the cartoon, but rather Thimble Theatre which was about Olive Oil's family and at some point Popeye entered the scene and took over the show. Now the town has something like 20 different Popeye themed statues around town. After the day of driving we got home, I foraged some shiso and wild ginger. Tyler made a wild ginger simple syrup, muddled the shisho, added bourbon and a splash of club soda and we settled in for the night around the wood burning stove.
  26. A new Foodie

Welcome, Hasmek! Please tell us more about yourself, to the extent that you're willing to share. What do you like to cook, or to eat? Where do you like to do your cooking and/or eating? In this topic you can range freely about other aspects of your life (family, pets, favorite mode of transportation) and give the other members a better image of yourself. If you have technical questions, feel free to contact a host (I am one) by Private Messenger or ask in the Moderation and Policy Discussion forum.
  1. Load more activity