• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Honkman

Dinner 2024

Pork sausages and du puy lentils cooked in the oven with carrots, celery, onion, garlic, pancetta, bay leaves and chicken broth. Served with an herb relish made with parsley, basil, chive, mint, lemon juice, garlic, capers, dijon mustard and olive oil
  3. I've seen Christmas dinners packed that way, on the "No Context Brits" Twitter feed. A perfect illustration of the aphorism that "just because you (ahem) can, doesn't mean you should." On a completely unrelated note, my daughter just sent me this one:
  4. An interesting seder idea ...
  5. I didn't buy this one. Can't think why? Any of these would be OK
  6. Here are my house keys.
  7. Today
  8. weinoo

Passover 2024

This year's one matzo brei, savory style.
  9. blue_dolphin

Breakfast 2024

If I cook an egg as you describe, the surface of the yolk starts to set up a bit from the steam and has a more opaque pinkish white appearance. The slow fry yolk remains a bright yellow as it stays above the oil. When I dropped the egg into the cold oil, the white stayed together more and didn’t spread out as much as when I crack one into a hot pan so the white was thicker but evenly cooked. That may vary with the freshness of the egg. Max said fresh eggs were a must and low heat is key.
  10. That story just came on my local news within 2 minutes of reading your post. Scary.
  11. eG member @Carolyn Tillie has been making food jewelry for years. Carolyn Tillie Jewelry
  12. Indeed. I can't see the use or wisdom of remote starting my oven. (was food left in there all day at room temp to start spoiling?) I suspect that WiFi looks good to engineers and marketers who never actually use the product.
  13. Couldn't agree more. Our (now) 6+ year old Wolf gas range (only 30", 4-burner) has had nary a problem. Keeps perfect temp in the oven. I would buy one again in a NY minute.
  14. Does the egg cooked in that matter differ from an egg started in a bit of butter or oil, a splash of water added, pan covered until the white is set and the yolk runny? I don't like eggs with crispy bottoms so this is my usual method.
  15. Looks good...bet it was a nice snack
  16. Hi ElsieD...I have found parchment papper is fine 'as long' as you trim the excess of papper from around the pizza base (so no papper is exposed) You should not have any problems. If you want to continue flouring the peel try Rice flour...also I found the metal peel supplied with the Pizzaiola is difficult for launching but good for retreiving at the end of cooking. I purchased a similar sized thicker wooden peel...much better result when floured or used with the parchment / baking papper trick.
  17. Hi to all from Melbourne Australia...new member here & happy to share & explore tips & stories. I've had the Breville Pizzaiolo since its release, so I'm guessing around 7 years. I love this machine & I have learned a lot over those 7 odd years about making pizza dough & best settings I have found for this unit. So I thought I'd put up a couple of pics & take it from there. Dough making I really liked playing with in the aerly stages & have now settled on a yeast dough made by the 'poolish' method...it's simple, does take a couple of days so some planning is required, but results are rock solid every time. Pizzaiolo settings are pretty much settled on & I use the manual control not the presets. I find I have more control on crust v filling temps & cook times. So some pics... ...blue cheese, musroom & sweet caramelised onion. Agreed sounds a bit weird & it's not often made, but it's great taste & fun pizza (for a change) A little more traditional. Tomato paste base (I make my own but shop bought is OK) mozzarella cheese, pepperoni slices, sundried tomato, fire roasted pepper strips, some basil pesto (blobs of) katamala olives & some greek fetta cheese. This is nice & more traditional toppings. This is a nice breafast / brunch (or anytime pizza) ...I use a slightly sweet BBQ sauce on the base, small amount of grated mozzeralla, fresh bacon & about 3 eggs on this one. Make sure the peel is well floured (I use rice flour for the peel...much better than regular) as you dont want this to stick with 3 uncooked eggs making a mess every where. I haven't as yet !! Anyway happy to chat & share my knowledge about everything pizza...(or anything else to do with cooking.)
  18. Some of you may be seeing these headlines already in your morning news, but the avian flu virus (H5N1) has been detected in grocery-store milk; or more accurately fragments of the virus' RNA have been detected in milk. There is further testing underway to see if a viable virus can be cultured from any of the test samples, but the expectation is that the answer will be "No" (this is what pasteurization is for, after all). RNA fragments would be present even if the virus itself was killed. https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/23/health/bird-flu-milk-fda/index.html After the events of the past few years epidemiologists and virologists are well-represented in my Twitter feed, and the consensus at present could be described as "this is concerning, but not yet alarming." The real threat (touched on in this article, and amplified in several I've seen elsewhere) is that the virus mutates enough to spread to hogs, either directly from cattle or after jumping back into birds. Viruses that adapt to hogs can then make the jump to humans, and in the (so far rare) cases when H5N1 has made that jump it has not gone well for the human involved.
  19. Bags and other items like these have beeen around for years in China and Japan. Nothing new. Two images I happened to save. Can't remember why but I know it was about two years ago and they weren't new then.
  20. Neely

Lunch 2024

A quick lunch of pickled herring. The best thing about this lunch is that the pomegranate is off my own baby tree… I had three this year.
  21. Neely

Dinner 2024

Chicken Korma under night lights, with two samosas
  22. @ElsieD ... Thanks for your suggestion of applestroop, something I've not heard of. I dug up a number of recipes and techniques, and feel that I can whip up something satisfactory. Your effort is appreciated. 👍
  23. From last weekend. Ken Forkish method but steam baked in Anova APO on heavy baking steel, not in a Dutch oven... Slackest dough I've ever tried to work with. My guess is slightly over proofed. Scoring was out of the question and I decided to use parchment on the peel. Excellent flavor. I've found it's easier for me to mix by hand than wrestling with the machine(s). Also got to try out new proofing box.
  24. Is a “thing” right now in the fashion world. I just bought this key chain because it can hold a dog poop bag and is cute: https://www.portlandleathergoods.com/products/fortune-cookie-keychain?variant=40623520940114&_pos=2&_psq=fortune&_ss=e&_v=1.0 Judith Leiber is famous for her unique handbags, which are often food items such as this: https://judithleiber.com/collections/novelty/products/french-fries-fresh-and-hot More consumer friendly designers are also jumping on the trend: Kate Spade: https://www.katespade.com/products/slice-3d-pizza-crossbody/K5530.html Kate Spade shoes: https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/product/kate-spade-new-york-Soiree-50MM-Satin-Cork-Heel-Sandals-0400020358782.html?dwvar_0400020358782_size=7.5&dwvar_0400020358782_color=IVORY&site_refer=CSE_GGLPLA:Womens_Shoes:kate+spade+new+york&country=US&currency=USD&CSE_CID=G_Saks_PLA_US_Women's+Shoes:Sandals&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADO6JtSuSAjhN4Hh7bDUBG0sjwtHb&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk4Cxj4vahQMVP1FHAR3XIAQoEAQYASABEgLbufD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds Not sure how to properly post these links, my apologies.
  25. I knew I was pushing it with the “Italian” entrees. I live in an area with a large amount of Italian restaurants and have an Italian mother, etc. and as @blue_dolphin said, pasta is also my go to, easy quick meal— so I made poor choices. I’m sure if I pushed back about the quality of the meals I would likely get a discount, however, the proteins are really shining. Every protein has been cooked well and I have used a digital thermometer to see how the proteins are cooked to temp. It’s important to not let anything linger in the oven, and I was pleasantly surprised that a marinated chicken breast that was delivered vacuumed packed was very flavorful and juicy. At the thickest point it read 166 degrees F as a high. the prep was opening the sealed, marinated chicken breast and put it in a provided tin pan, use the small packet of mayo to coat the chicken and put the bread crumbs over the chicken. i have a pork cutlet I’ve yet to try. That should be interesting. The oven really uses the steam feature a lot. I haven’t gotten any type of notice that the water reservoir has been low, but I keep a 6oz water bottle next to the machine and add water after every use. The oven makes a sound when it’s full. It has also has a wide water spout so I haven’t been worried about potentially getting water on the buttons. Also, if in the off chance I did, I can control the oven directly from my phone. The oven appeals to me as a child of the 80s. It’s fun watching the various cooking methods that cycle and watching proteins cook. It’s like an adult version of my “easy bake oven”. Along that line I wish they offered more dessert, breakfast and side options.
  26. I have an APO which has Wi-Fi, a phone app and pre-programmed recipes that I can set up from my phone... but I never use them. It's easier for me to just set the temp, set the steam % I want, put the food in and ask" Alexa" to set a timer for when it's done. So it does everything you want plus convection and adjustable steam. p
  1. Load more activity