• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

Poached eggs on toast. These were farm-fresh eggs so I poached them conventionally.
  3. Today
  4. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Tonight: Spit-roast duck, sauce Bigarade. Sauce Bigarade recipe from Raymond Sokolov's The Saucier's Apprentice p44. Lacking Seville oranges, energy, and space on the stove, I used French marmalade as a substitute for candying my own orange and lemon peels. Taking a tip from @Duvel my MR was based on Riesling. (Not shown.)
  5. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! We had a quiet meal with just the two of us. Turkey (a small 10 pounder) cooked on the pellet smoker, snap peas in butter, cooked ALV, mashed cauliflower and scratch-made mushroom gravy. Glass of Maggio Old Vine Zin (Lodi) and store-bought cherry pie for dessert.
  6. Camping, Princess Style

My GF and I are in much the same boat. She cheerfully describes herself as a "lizard," who'd be happy to perch under a heat lamp all day (and has been known to light the woodstove in August). Unfortunately for her she's a redhead, and has been sharply limited over the years in terms of how much time she can spend on a beach (ie, 15-20 minutes). If you ever want to know what "rhapsodizing" sounds like in real life, start her on the subject of SPF 100 sunblock. This past summer she was able to spend whole days at the beach with her toddler granddaughter, to our shared pleasure.
  7. So, alternate the heat with the cold air? I had the air blowing in there at 61F. I have a hair dryer strictly for chocolate use, also to the left of the panner. I used that to clean the panner our before the glazing phase. So, I could also use that to alternate with AC? I'm just not sure how to go about that- as in, at what point would I know to use hot air instead of cold? It did seem like a fair amount of chocolate was wasted on the area where the agitators are attached- on the back wall of the panner. The chocolate was tempered, and at 88.6F, I believe. (I used the little chocovision tempering machine to the left the panner.) I have an Idylis AC unit that stands the right of the panner, on the floor- which is my cold air source. I salvaged / swiped an extra piece of the stretchy aluminum tubing during the home rebuild, exactly for this purpose. So, I taped and sealed one end of the tube onto the AC vent, ran the tubing through a wire coat hanger, and rigged it so the other end would blow on the area where it looked like the majority of the beans were landing. The cold air flow was pretty impressive for such a goofy set up. I used a ladle to slowly pour chocolate in an even manner over the beans as they tumbled. I had them going at med-slow, then increased it to medium. Once they were dry, I took them all out, wiped down the interior quite thoroughly, poured the beans back in, and then proceeded to drizzle in the 40g of confectioners glaze. I let run for a good 30 min just to make sure everything was completely coated. (And to get rid of that horrid stink from the glaze.) I wasn't sure what speed to run the espresso beans at, and if I should have used agitators. It seemed like the agitators were necessary to break the beans apart some. But, I am not fully convinced of that now, because I think it might have dented the coating. Which, would be true for anything, wouldn't it? I can't think under what condition the denting/uneven finish wouldn't happen with those inside there. I have some malt ball centers that I can run for another trial. Not for trial are the Montmorency dried cherries- which I have no intention to waste. I'd love to get those panned, to sell. I am really looking forward to learning how to work this little beast properly, and make some nice products. Thank you for all of your help!!!!
  8. Lyon for 2 months ?

AnnH, please consider reporting back here with your findings. We'd like to see more of you!
  9. Camel Milk

Andrew Zimmern has an episode with Camel Milk from the USA..
  10. You may well have been very lucky. When I lived in Wisconsin in the mid-'50s there was an outbreak of Brucellosis and also Undulant fever in humans, caused by brucellosis and it can be totally debilitating. Several kids in my school who lived on dairy farms were affected, as were some of their parents. One family has all but the mother affected and so were their two dairymen. The health inspectors quarantined 20 farms in the area and the commercial companies refused to buy milk from any farms in the two counties affected, even though some were free of the infection. Our star basketball player went from being a top athlete to walking with difficulty, hunched over like an old man.
  11. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American folks. Best wishes for a great meal and family gathering. so far the meals look delicious.
  12. Short introduction

Hi, Derek! Welcome! Tell us where your food interests lie!
  13. Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

Love that Lazy Magnolia beer.
  14. In the immortal words of Jimmy Buffett: Boat drinks.Waitress, I need two more boat drinks.Then I'm headin south 'fore my dream shrinks.I gotta go where it's warm. That's me. Gotta go where it's warm. I love snow when we get it here, because it's like the one we had last winter; started about dusk, absolutely gorgeous, big fat fluffy flakes, world totally white by midnight, gorgeous the next morning, and it was all gone by 3 p.m. Perfection. Looking foward to hitch-hiking along on your adventures. If you come through Memphis or the NE Arkansas area, give me a shout!
  15. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Plenty of leftovers of the early stuff for tomorrow...later stuff was pretty tasty, too!
  16. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

I may not eat for a week. We have the canned, sliced cranberry stuff because son-in-law requires it. Everyone else ate homemade cranberry salad (at 12 o'clock). Balsamic honey glazed carrots not shown, and I'd failed to take the top off the dressing at that point A relish tray and cranberry salad. Sweet potatoes. The turkey was excellent. He had brined for about 36 hours in a 5% brine, and was then roasted with a quartered apple, a quartered orange, fresh sage and fresh thyme in his cavity, along with a half-stick of butter. Sides were mashed potatoes, dressing, sweet potatoes with pecan praline topping, and balsamic honey carrots.There are rolls nestled in the bread dish. Several hours later, we had cheesecake. Choice of blueberry and Key lime.
  17. Well, unfortunately, if the pot was made in North America, be prepared to pay more than the low price they are going for now. I would be prepared to pay more than $70 Cdn for such a well designed product.
  18. did it curl your eyebrows too ?
  19. Office baking today; halva, tahini and smoked salt caramel shortbread (aka Middle Eastern millionaire’s shortbread) and chocolate and browned butter chunk cookies (with nearly three quarters of a kilo of Valrhona Manjari 64% chocolate, aka the good stuff.)
  20. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

forget the later stuff..... give me more potatoes, dressing, peas and gravy! and cranberry sauce......
  21. Drinking raw milk from a farm you do not know... That's a bad idea. I grew up drinking raw milk from our own cows. The first time brucelosis hit our herd, Dad stopped bringing milk from the tank home with him. Its not worth the risk. I have purchased raw milk from a local farm for cheesemaking, but my first step was to check their history and reputation. In a small, close-knit community, they had done a good job of making certain they were reliable in taking care of the animals and people around them. There was another certified raw milk dairy nearby. Their reputation was nowhere near as good, and I would never have bought milk from them. Sure enough, they had a similar recall a couple of years after we moved to the area.
  22. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Happy Thanksgiving! Homemade Dinner Rolls with... ...Roasted Turkey Thigh, Dressing, Mashed Potatoes, Green Peas and Gravy. Pumpkin Pie with Whipped Cream later!
  23. That’s very helpful. Thank you, Chris.
  24. The S'Mores additions have been added to the last dough: Now everything is shaped and proofing at 13°C for 14 hours.
  25. There is, it's just not so specific with the time. The purpose of that mixing step (according to 4•219) is just to achieve full gluten development, which they explain will depend on your mixer and several other factors, so the time is only approximate. They tell you to do the window pane test to check, rather than just relying on a time. So in the Chocolate Brioche, when they say "mix on medium-high speed to full gluten development," that's the mixing step you are seeing listed as "15-20 minutes" in other recipes. The butter really slows things down, apparently.
  26. So I am carefully reading the recipes for both the master brioche and the chocolate brioche. The mixing directions for the master brioche which are referenced in the chocolate brioche call for a final mix on high speed for 15 to 20 minutes. There is no such direction in the mixing directions for the chocolate brioche. Can somebody comment, please? The master brioche recipe is on page 136 and the chocolate brioche is on page 160 of the kitchen manual.
  27. Yesterday
  28. My plans for tomorrow are considerably less ambitious. I am hoping to pull off the chocolate brioche. I’ve made brioche in the past and I have read everything in the books (I think) about how to get the best out of one’s efforts. But if anyone is aware of gotchas I'd love to hear them.
  1. Load more activity