• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

On a whim, and attracted by price, I picked up a can of frozen minced lobster... Then, I didn't know what to do with it. Today, Superstore had 3 oz. lobster tails on for $2.98, so on a whim, I picked up 4 of them. Decided it was a good time to make lobster sauce with the minced stuff and the little "bodies", tomato puree, shallots, tomato paste, bell pepper, basil, mint, and parsley. Had some capers and fresh green peppercorns, so they all went in. I didn't cook the tails in the sauce...just sauteed the chunks in butter. Had this over Zeroodle mung bean noodles mixed with black bean noodles. After seeing the mussels on previous page, I really wanted some. However, they didn't look too lively, but the Manila and Savory clams looked good. Steamed those up with lemongrass, cilantro, and white wine. Supper came together nicely but wayyy too many pans used!
  3. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Steelhead with rice pilaf and asparagus.
  4. Viva Las Vegas - I am going to enjoy this a lot ! Thanks, @Smokeydoke
  5. Today
  6. Caramel issue

have you changed the brand of corn syrup?
  7. Camping, Princess Style

One thing about avocados--they require adequate salt (and some lime juice, IMO) so they don't taste bland. Sometimes a surprising amount of salt, but make sure you taste as you go along. Nancy in Pátzcuaro
  8. I love hearing everyone's Las Vegas stories! We got eloped too, best decision we ever made. I think the ceremony and the filing cost a total of $170.
  9. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Sourdough Boule and Herb Seasoned Olive Oil Spinach and Arugula Salad (plus Bacon, Chopped Egg, Avocado, Tomato, Mushrooms, Onion, Black Olives, and Craisins) with Hot Bacon Dressing
  10. Cooking with Madhur Jaffrey's Vegetarian India

Chana Dal with Spinach and Tomato (p. 127) This is a simple dal with a few vegetables added at the end of cooking. I of course would have liked more spinach, but overall it was good.
  11. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

I tried a recipe called Steak Cutlets Caprese. I made some Southern style white gravy "just in case" too. I am glad I made the gravy. I think the recipe needs some tweaking. It was a mistake to use a tomato at this time of the year as well.
  12. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

This looks so good. I want.
  13. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Vegetable korma. No Indian style bread in the house but a lovely flour tortilla brushed with spiced butter and gently heated worked very well.
  14. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Bragger
  15. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

@ElsieD When my wife and I were in Central Vietnam for a week last summer, we ate Viet food all the time - I kept joking that I thought I had a tapeworm because I was always hungry - and after all that eating, I think I wound up losing like 5 pounds by the time I got home... it's the weirdest feeling to lose weight while on an eating vacation! Then again, it was like 120degF every day, so maybe it was all water weight....
  16. Cooking Light Diet

We had the coconut-lemongrass chicken bowls again that we had a couple of weeks ago. This time, instead of using the slow cooker, I made it in the mini instant pot. There are rice noodles in the bottom of the bowl and I added the carrots for colour. The link to the recipe is below, in case anyone is interested. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/coconut-lemongrass-chicken-bowls#add-your-reviews
  17. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Dinner tonight - Coconut-Lemongrass Chicken Bowls. This is a Cooking Light Diet recipe that is meant to be cooked in a slow cooker but I was in a hurry so I gave it the Instant Pot treatment. There are rice noodles on the bottom of tte bowl. Hard to believe diet food can be this tasty.
  18. Rebecca263 has passed away

I just now stumbled onto this news. Thank you for the post. Rebecca was a very engaging person even when the conversation was about sardines or making mayonnaise. She was a friend and though I never met her I miss her.
  19. Valrhona Inspirations

Interesting, Valrhona Caraibe is my main dark chocolate for shells and ganaches and I have not had problems with over-crystallization. For me it is a great chocolate to work with -- great flavor, thin shells, and enrobes nicely.
  20. Yesterday
  21. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

I brought home a lovely little Napa cabbage tonight so we will see.
  22. Valrhona Inspirations

Definitions I think by the Codex standards it would not fit - neither would white chocolate as couverture - but since the high percentage of cocoa butter makes them all so much easier to work with that we all tend to think of high fat chocolate as couverture regardless of colour.
  23. Me too...Vegas eloper at a way too young age. Too nervous to eat much that trip. Then a father-in-law that resided there but the group was more into the all-you-can-eat breakfasts with towering carts of bacon and biscuits & gravy flying between the tables. This was way before Vegas became a food destination and before smoking was banned - so I was generally on a bike headed towards the foothills (lovely view). I do recall a nice hot chocolate up the mountain on a snowy day at a roaring fireplace/lodge type place. What a difference compared to today's vibrant food scene! Those almond pastries
  24. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Hi Kim, Sorry to hear about your injury. Stands out like a sore thumb(toe) don't it? Sisters in misery with ya with my broken hip in recovery. Yeah, cabbage does tend to last a long time. I've gotten really good with managing the longevity of ingredients not having a car for about three years and then breaking my hip in November last year and being completely dependent on outside help to get groceries and supplies. Napa cabbage will last a long time, up to a month in good shape, I've found. It's a looser head than the regular green cabbage in tight, compact heads. Napa will dry out at the open end of the head. That regular green cabbage, though? I've kept that under refrigeration for up to three months as long as I cut at the stem base and peel off whole leaves as I need them. Sometimes, the outer leaves are dehydrated and need to be discarded, but as long as one maintains the integrity of the head, it's really surprising how long regular cabbage can last. Of course, if you hack wedges out of it, it won't last nearly as long. I also understand that the nutrients in cabbage degrade quite significantly under long storage. Lettuce is not as durable as cabbages, but works the same way. You can really extend the life of a head of lettuce by cutting off slices at the bottom of the core and freeing individual leaves. The plant thinks it's still alive and will last much longer. That's why, although I actually adore a wedge salad, with just me here, I don't do that. Once you hack into the plant like that, it won't last nearly as long. Shoot, I've even seen long-stored cabbages under refrigeration try to put put roots from the bottom of the sliced core. That is one resilient veggie! Another long-laster is daikon radish in good shape initially. Slice what you need to use from the root end and leave the top intact. I've used that veggie for three months as well. The top tries to grow greens on a healthy specimen and roots sometimes try to develop from the sides of the unsliced areas. It helps to trick veggies into thinking they are still alive by orienting them in your fridge the same way they would grow in the ground, in my experience.
  25. Significant Eater and I got married in Las Vegas as well - downtown, at the court house, by a court clerk. I think it cost $35, and we filled out the marriage license in pencil. Don't worry, we're still married, and just celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary. We were going to dine at Jean Louis Palladin's restaurant the night we got married, but it was closed. I think we still had a pretty good meal at another location. And we were scheduled to head to Vegas in 2 weeks, to see a few shows at the Wynn, but they got cancelled (due to the Wynn), so we cancelled our trip. Blog on.
  26. Was on a work gig up in South Central Missouri this week and ate lunch at a local diner. Pork tenderloin sandwich. Classic. Pounded to about 1/4 inch thickness, breaded and fried, hanging off all the edges of a sesame seed bun. It came out with lettuce, tomato, mayo, onion and dill pickle chips on the side; I used the mayo and ketchup, along with the dill pickle slices, which made for a suprisingly good flavor combo. Very good. It also came with homemade potato chips, which were among the best examples of the homemade product I've enjoyed in a long time.
  1. Load more activity