• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. MetsFan5

The Soup Topic (2013–)

Miso soup always calms my stomach and this purchase has been pretty awesome
  3. DiggingDogFarm

New composting options

Depends on the goal. Do you want something that's concentrated and can be placed strategically. Or are you okay with the default, scrap about the garden. Nothing really wrong with any option. And there are a gazillion in between. It depends on what YOU want. Please don't invest in an expensive contraption.
  4. I saw a cocoa butter colouring pack at the school I go to a few years ago, with a chart with about a squillion colours that it told you how to make, but the price was astronomical. I can't remember the brand, but such a thing does exist. My own experience is I mix up the colours I can get as powders (10% powder / 90% cocoa butter) then make the rest up as best I can from those with a very much "that'll do" attitude to it.
  5. Lisa Shock

New composting options

Honestly, if you have a garden, all you really need to do is make a 2 foot diameter cylinder out of something like chicken wire and tall stakes, anchor it in the ground, and toss things into it. Occasionally, it helps to keep tabs on the ration of brown/green stuff you're adding. Tossing a little soil on top with a shovel helps keep flies away. And, lining it with some plain newspaper can help keep stuff in, but that's about it. Do it for a couple of years, then move the cylinder someplace else in the garden and use the compost. All the other stuff you see online is generally about speeding things up or optimizing for pH or other content. My parents did it this way and we never had a problem. They live out in the country and we never had any issues with wild animals, at least none that we noticed.
  6. DiggingDogFarm

New composting options

Composting is a simple process. You sure don't need that.
  7. Today
  8. HungryChris

Chicken Liver Paté: The Topic

Made another small batch of CLP. This time I used some thyme and gelatin just to see how it would work. I kinda like the result. HC
  9. So you just bought one? I'd be interested in knowing your experience with it. Thanks! I forgot all about this and have done nothing, but am still interested.
  10. JoNorvelleWalker

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

I shall never again, I most fervently hope -- please sit down -- after last night's narrow avoidance of a confrontation with a most sharp knife, only today to stab myself with a fork. A table fork, you know the ones that are not sharp. I dropped the fork. I went to catch it. I caught it. Through the forearm. It's bleeding. It hurts. Perhaps it's time for me to stick to spoons and chopsticks.
  11. JoNorvelleWalker

New composting options

But what I'd give for the counter space!
  12. kayb

New composting options

At that price, it'd better do the gardening, too. My plastic bucket will work just fine for me at 2.99.
  13. Found at the farmers market Buratta with tomatoes and garlic sausage. Bone marrow for the gang.
  14. Craig E

Drinks! 2018

Midnight Prayer by Brian MacGregor, Jardinière, San Francisco, CA. 1 1/2 oz Gin, G'Vine Floraison (Plymouth Navy Strength) 3/4 oz St. Germain 1 t Crème de Violette dash Regans' orange bitters Stir, strain, up, lemon twist. For those in the "St. Germain makes everything better" camp, this drink will confirm your bias. Its sweet lychee flavor added instant appeal to this sourless Aviation. I've never had the G'Vine gin, but figured the navy strength Plymouth would be closer to the original intentions than the London dry gins I have on hand. I was amazed that high octane of the base spirit (57 proof) was wholly masked by the mix.
  15. liuzhou

Food funnies

Not the greatest quality video, but top quality funny.
  16. I've always thought about composting, but have never found an option that wasn't either a lot of trouble, or really gross, or both. But I recently saw this new product which seems like it might be a good answer. We don't have space for it now, but we're planning (after a kitchen renovation) to have a whole counter to dedicate to appliances, so we could probably fit one in. Has anyone used this? Or is there anything similar out there (that is, small, easy to use, and not stinky)?
  17. I want to start working on mixing my own colored cocoa butters, but not sure where to start. Do you just buy the primary color powders and mix from there or are you working with a wider variety of pigments? What is the best resource to learn how to create different shades? For example, if I have a sample color that I want to match, how would I go about figuring out which pigments to use and how much of each? Are there formulaic guides or is it all just trial and error and experience?
  18. My wife took a photo of me making some alterations to the space strawberry garden... I added some more controls to the humidifier/dehumidifier system.
  19. @paulraphael do you have a copy of The Cake Bible? Or Heavenly Cakes? Both are by Rose Levy Beranbaum; the first one has several different types of chocolate cake recipes (all with butter, and the Hellman's recipe too) and the Heavenly Cakes book has a chocolate passion recipe which is excellent too. I don't have a particular favorite among them, they are all good. I also like the chocolate cake recipe in Colette Peter's (cake decorating) books but that one also calls for coffee which you may or may not choose to use.
  20. curls

Andrey Dubovic online classes

@RobertM it appears that Kerry is human. Just find a way to accept that and then you may, if you like, challenge yourself to be as good a human as Kerry. 😃
  21. chromedome

Gardening: (2016 – 2017)

Today I finally finished the (main) digging at my main garden, at my GF's parent's place. I'll probably still put in a few smaller beds for this and that, but at least the grunt work is done. The soil there is good, but remarkable for its, uh..."mineral content." I took 7 wheelbarrows of stones out of a 12' x 4' stretch, ranging from egg-sized to microwave-sized. The latter had to be dragged out with a small tractor, as I couldn't budge it with my steel pry bar. Lots of stuff in...chard, kale, red and gold beets, lettuce mix, okra, peas, beans, potatoes, onions, turnips, radishes, Brussels sprouts, red and green cabbages, carrots, some squash (no zucchini, my sweetie is allergic) and doubtless a few other things that elude my recollection at the moment. The garlic my father'd been hand-selecting for size is almost ready to harvest. Last year, I the majority of the cloves fell in the 20-30 gram range (up to an ounce or so) which is freakin' HUGE...I sometimes got a scant quarter-cup of minced garlic from one clove.
  22. Yesterday
  23. Some people I make cakes for really like the Hellman's mayonnaise cake. I converted it to weight based measurement for the dry ingredients because I use the recipe fairly frequently. The cake does not have much structural integrity, but, it's moist and light.
  24. chefmd

Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Pork chops stuffed with feta, pistachios, and capers. Corn on the cob.
  25. suzilightning

Newfoundland Re-Visited

We are currently just outside of Deer Lake in a new place. We had spme very good fish... salt fish cakes fr John...sauteed halibut with scuncions for me. Carrots and turnips for veg for both of us. Yellow pea soup for dinner last night. Can't wait to hear how you like the west coast.
  26. http://www.sansomeslobsterpool.com You need to eat here if you go to Twillingate. It is on the way. Trust me. You won't be sorry. We are in Newfoundland as well, just arrived today.
  27. The view from our balcony. Whales were sighted earlier today but alas, we have not yet seen any.
  28. We went around the cape and saw some interesting folk art. Below is a picture of one such place. We saw the gentleman owner outside so we drove in to ask the 1) what it was, 2) where it came from and 3) could we take a picture. He was a typical older Newfoundland man, with a very thick accent not helped by not having many teeth. But also very typical, he was very friendly. It turned out that these were nothing more than rocks which had been painted and gussied up some and came from a quarry a couple of miles up the road and yes, of course we could take a picture. He also said "thar's a big blow today" which of course meant that it was very windy. Which it was. As we were leaving, I said "it was nice to have met you". He responded, "nice to meet you too, b'y". B'y being a typical Newfoundland term. We arrived at the Inn at the Cape st 5:45 and it turned out that supper was at 6:00, not 6:30 as advertised. There are only 5 of us here, so the food was put out at 6:00 and you served yourself although the owner/chef was always around. The offerings were fish chowder, deep fried cod, meatloaf, French fries, coleslaw, and salad. Dessert was sugar or lemon meringue pie or ice cream with rhubarb sauce. I had a bit of everything and I failed in my duty to take pictures as my battery in my tablet had died. The food was reasonably good, the fish excellent. The battery recharged while we were having dinner so starting tomorrow, there will be pictures of food. It turns out the owner of the inn is also the mayor of this town which made for some interesting conversation. We shared a table with a couple from Welland, another city in Ontario. It turned out that this couple's house sitter, a next door neighbour, is the brother of John's former best friend's wife. I say former because his friend passed away 4 years ago. It can be a small world sometimes. As far as food on the plane goes, the flight has two legs. On the first one, I had some almonds. On the second leg I had a bag of chips and a little package of Walker's shortbread cookies. And that was it for food until we got here. We were ravenous. Tomorrow we are going south, to Port-aux-Basques and going east from there as far as the road takes us, which is to a restored lighthouse. We have a place in mind for lunch which apparently serves very good fish. Until tomorrow. Time for a glass of wine.
  1. Load more activity