• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Clean the fridge out salad tonight. I yelled out to himself 'Want meat in it?' Whilst dutifully slicing the last of the beautiful salami we had. 'Yeah chuck the rest of that Strasburg in' was my response from the shower . Strasburg is a processed sausage shaped 'meat' made of pork, beef AND chicken bits that I cannot bring myself to eat. But it reminds some people of their childhood - hey I'll eat kidney pie out of a can so thats probably worse. I used a mustard dipping sauce I made for our corn beef attempt as dressing. Didn't know how to drizzle it all fancy for you guys so I used a 2ml syringe left over from administering lil man medication (clean of course). You know the sand worm poop trails left on the beach at low tide... yeah.
  3. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Re-heated lunch taco with some sour cream and some commercial salsa.
  4. Today
  5. Those look like they'd be good with some nice cheese as well.
  6. A Bite of China

Rapid Update. Here is Series 3 Episode 1 (Chinese only - but even if you can't understand a word, they are visually fascinating) And 3/2 They are being broadcast nightly over the next week, so more should appear soon.
  7. Feeling under the weather the last couple days, so congee was in order. I meant to use 1 cup of rice, but in my cold-induced haze, I threw in 2 cups of rice. Oops. Came out like tar. Anyway, kabocha pumpkin, store-bought chicken broth & ginger. Used the Porridge setting. Had to add another 4 cups or so of liquid to the tar and simmered it on the Saute for a few extra mins.
  8. Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

This morning, my best friend J called me to invite me to lunch at her home. Last night, she just came back from her home town where she always returns for the Chinese New Year - as do most Chinese people. I was a bit surprised at the invite as we almost always eat out. I've only eaten once at her home before and that was pizza delivery. She loves her food, but isn't a cook. Anyway, I'm always happy to see her, so off I went. Seven minutes walk maximum between our homes. When I arrived, I learned the secret. Her fiancé was also there, a lovely man and if it was him who was doing the cooking! Here is the spread. Lunch for three. 12 o'clock is stir-fried spinach with garlic. 3 o'clock is braised pork with aged vinegar. (The pork was organic from her mother's pig. Ex-pig now.) 6 o'clock we have fish stewed in soy sauce. (The yellow things are undeveloped eggs from the chicken in the next dish). 9 o'clock is organic chicken with eryngi mushrooms (Pleurotus eryngii). With rice. I took along a bottle of decent Italian as I know J likes " a draught of vintage ... ...a beaker full of the warm South". She had kindly bought me a bottle of beer, so I drank that and a happy lunch and happy mouths ensued.
  9. Well citrus are winter producers so maybe you are experiencing a global warming quirk. The ripe fruit should be now and flowering/fruit setting much later. Oh my....
  10. I think she just means a short dip in the pond whenever- I lean to the end
  11. A Bite of China

Here is the Trailer for Series 3 The series began broadcasting on the 19th. No downloads or streaming available yet. See next post.
  12. Foodblog Fanfare: Feb 23!

Why are the lower tiers light brown? Dare I say gravy color? (Please note I have never seen a real life chocolate fountain.)
  13. Camping, Princess Style

@Smithy shallots here are comparatively rather small. Pretty sure I have one in the bedroom but I don't feel like getting up to take a photograph. The shallots sold here are produce of France. Where do yours come from? I despise navel oranges. I just had a bag of navels rot and molder. And not for the first time. I love Valencia oranges but the local Shoprite almost never carries them.
  14. Pistachio Paste

Thanks @Luke. I am surprised. What was your yield with that small amount of nuts? I found when I ground a pound of walnuts (admittedly not pistachios) I ended up with only 3/4 pound of paste. Maybe I don't know how to get the last bit out of the grinder.
  15. I see.....are you implying that I should steep with garlic and ginger at the BEGINNING of the boil, then remove.....or, akin to the leafy vegetables.....adding them near the end of the boil?
  16. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

"Chicken tortilla stackers" We've been making variants on this for a long time - leftover shredded chicken layered with corn tortillas, red chile sauce and cheese and baked in a casserole dish.
  17. I can help with the garlic and ginger flavor disappearing over your two hour cook from a similar mistake I made making egg drop soup years ago. "Joy of Cooking" tells you to simmer the garlic and ginger for 15 minutes in the chix stock and then remove said garlic and ginger. This works well for extracting the maximum flavor. My thinking I had a better idea and simmering the garlic and ginger for closer to an hour was enough to almost completely destroy both flavor components. So ... longer is not always better.
  18. Artesial, can you provide some specifics about what you are attempting to learn? are you having specific problems? Yes, I had a JKV for,several years.... It’s been awhile, but, as I recall when I had my JKV, I raised the heat to melt the chocolate and the crystals. at that temp, I turned on the wheel and lowered the temp to about 86 and then back up to 90, still with the wheel turning. The first few times I used it, I was paranoid about my temper, so, of course, I always checked it and it worked great! I loved that machine.... if you want, PM me and we can work through issues you may be having.
  19. Food funnies

Pigeon Pie anybody?
  20. My FIL's orange tree is blossoming, and I'm afraid that it is too early and not much fruit will appear. But for now, it's filling our noses with the intoxication scent of those blossoms.
  21. Ha - even I who have never seen a choc fount guessed it Looking forward to it. Do please "cross-promote" the whole index- it is a veritable "fount" of information!
  22. Food funnies

Further to the above post...
  23. Pistachio Paste

Hi Jo, That's about 250g of roasted pistachios, lightly broken up first by blender. Cheers Luke
  24. No flakes though - scraped while they are still wet.
  25. I believe you and pastrygirl, you're both much more experienced at this than I am. I was just picturing me trying to scrape color off and about the fifth or sixth time the scraping caused big flakes of the color to break away, me saying a few discouraging words as the mold went sailing towards the trashcan.
  26. Cooking with Six Seasons by Joshua McFadden

Rainbow Chard with Garlic & Jalapeños (I subbed orange manzano peppers for the jalapeños) from Six Seasons p 298. After the chard is sautéed with garlic and the peppers, red wine vinegar is added and everything marinates for a few hours or overnight so the topping has a slightly pickled quality.
  27. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Leftover chili and rice. Salad of diced beets and fresh mozzarella with a balsamic dressing
  1. Load more activity