• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. liuzhou

Lunch 2019

Lunch today was one of the strangest I've ever had. Back story: In the centre of the city, near my home, is a government owned 5-star restaurant. It's not difficult to get 5-stars when the owners are the star issuing authority! The hotel has hosted almost every Chinese government leader except Mao and the current President, Xi Jinping (so far). I dislike the place and especially it's "western restaurant" staffed by charming wait staff and chefs who've never eaten western food, but saw a picture once. They specialize in steaks, which they serve with a tiny scattering of parsley, shredded carrot and a flower, but no carbs. Order fries separately and they usually arrive ten minutes before your steak or ten minutes after. They also specialize in rip-off prices. A few days ago, I had a call for a friend who explained that the hotel wanted to make an advertisement to be aired on in-flight videos to and from the city. For some reason, they decided that it would be good to have a foreigner in their movie.. As one of the very western foreigners in town and the one who has been here by far the longest, I was volunteered. Again! So I spent the morning pretending to be playing tennis, a game I haven't played since high school in the middle of last century and was no good at then, then at around 11 am headed to the "western restaurant" for lunch. While waiting for the various camera men, lighting people and the director to do what people like them do, I was beginning to get hungry. A bowl of soup turned up. Borscht. I will never understand why every Chinese"western restaurant" serves this. There is no beetroot here. Why choose to serve a dish you don't have the main, signature ingredient for? I know the answer. They only saw a picture and saw it was red! Tomato soup is Borscht! I was instructed that I could eat this while they got ready. They weren't going to film me eating fake borscht. To accompany my soup they brought me a bowl of fruit salad slathered with Kewpie sweet mayonnaise. Of course. I ate a little of the soup and ignored the salad as all sensible people would. Then my steak arrived. Or did it? The waitress with my meal hovered in sight, for a while film crew fiddled with their dials then the director yelled the Chinese equivalent of "Action" . The young waitress placed the steak, which was served on a cutting board, in front of me. I smiled and said "Thank you!" The director yelled "Cut!" and said "One more time". Waitress took away my untouched meal, they fiddled dials a bit more and we went for take two. And three. And four. And five. And six. All the while my steak was getting cold. Finally, director was satisfied and I was allowed to actually eat the damn thing that had been tantalizing me for so long. I'd quite lost my appetite. The picture shows half my 'meal'. I wasn't about to waste more time taking a picture until I'd eaten some. To be fair, they had obviously picked the best steak they could find (I didn't get to choose) and it had been cooked exactly as I had requested (I was allowed to do that) - medium rare. Unfortunately, it had been rested so long before I got my fork to my mouth that it was no longer as pink as when it left the kitchen. Residual heat. However it was tender and reasonably tasty.. Then I went home and had a huge cheese sandwich with lettuce and tomato. A CLT. Look out for me at the next Oscars ceremony!
  3. scubadoo97

Lunch 2019

Hit a container of Texas Caviar heavy for lunch. Keep me full through dinner
  4. scubadoo97

Dinner 2019

minimalist dinner. Pita and cheese, toasted dinning solo and just wasn’t hungry
  5. Smithy

Dinner 2019

We bought massive pork steaks a few weeks ago ... big enough that one steak would serve two people with leftovers. In a moment of laziness, I purchased a bag of chopped broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, and then wondered what to do with it. The lot came together in two roasting pans tonight. The vegetables were chopped more finely and tossed with olive oil and mesquite-smoked olive oil, then roasted in the oven. Near the end, they were mixed with jarred roasted red peppers and returned to the oven. The finishing touch was to toss them with balsamic vinegar. In the meantime, the single giant pork steak was breaded and put into a roasting pan, thence the oven. I've written elsewhere that my darling thinks there is one, and only one, way to do pork steaks. "Why mess with perfection?" he exclaims. I've caved. There will be no experiments on this cut of meat! (Well, we do both like the results...I just don't like the constraint of doing the same thing every time.) The plating looked better before we started eating. I remembered the picture after we started eating. The pork steak and breading were predictably good. I'm really more pleased with the vegetables, because they were an experiment that turned out well.
  6. sartoric

Tasting Japan

Food at the market, shuffling while eating one giant oyster and salmon sashimi. Kanazawa is known for jibu-ni a duck and root vegetable stew cooked in dashi. Here’s a lousy photo, the dish was delicious. Also here we had tempura sweet potato, rice and sake. I love these isakaya restaurants. Sometimes you just want to have cheesecake and a glass of wine. There are a lot of Italian style restaurants and cafes. The bento box ! We arranged a goodwill guide to see Kanazawa Castle and Kenrokuen gardens. This is a free service run by Japan tourism board and on both occasions was excellent. Our guide T suggests we buy our lunch before starting the walk. In the basement of department stores are food halls, fantastic food halls. First choose your box with various goodies Then choose from a selection of several rice dishes It will be beautifully wrapped And look like this when you finally stop for lunch I chose a box with space for three kinds of rice. Loved the one with chestnuts.
  7. JoNorvelleWalker

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

You left out the important part...what color??
  8. kayb

Dinner 2019

Tonight's edition of delivery dinner was from the local Cajun joint. Boiled shrimp, new potatoes, corn on the cob. They did not send cocktail sauce (you have to ask??). Fortunately, I had ketchup, horseradish, Worcestershire, lemons and hot sauce on hand. Problem solved. Kid had a fried bologna and cheese sandwich, with bread pudding for dessert. Pricy for a delivery dinner, but it was good. Shrimp hit the spot. Moving in nine days. If I live.
  9. JoNorvelleWalker

Lunch 2019

Conference center lunch...
  10. robirdstx

Dinner 2019

Cojita & Panko Crusted Chicken Breast with Steamed Asparagus and Garlic Sauce
  11. kayb

Kitchen photos

Absolutely beautiful! I love the backsplash, and I wish I had the wine fridge!
  12. Jacksoup

Kitchen photos

Beautiful! I have very similar backsplash and floors in my much smaller kitchen. Great use of the space.
  13. Yesterday
  14. heidih

Gelatin powder

Some people use gelatin to give their broths and pan sauces a richer mouthfeel. https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/11/how-to-use-gelatin-better-stock-sauce-dessert.html
  15. A true treasure! Steve Sando (Rancho Gordo) almost had her here at eG for a Q&A/interview around her magnificent Oaxaca al Gusto but she'd had a traumatizing public interview that put her off at the time. I love the book. Not necessarily to cook from but to absorb the traditions and learn about cooking methods and how simple ingredients are transformed. Oaxaca al Gusto: An Infinite Gastronomy (The William and Bettye Nowlin Series in Art, History, and Culture of the Western Hemisphere) https://www.ranchogordoblog.com/2011/01/some-bad-press-for-diana-kennedy.html
  16. gfweb

Kitchen photos

That is stunning!
  17. teonzo

Gelatin powder

Panna cotta?
  18. Captain

Dinner 2019

BBq large chicken wings. Some with a Mex spice blend, some with Asian marinade and some with hot spice blend. Very satisfying.
  19. Cantankerous and a disdain for mediocrity and weak scotch...what's not to love?
  20. lindag

Kitchen photos

Great job! I love it.
  21. sartoric

Dinner 2019

I’ve been lurking at the Japanese supermarket here. Last night was ginger garlic chicken wings, spinach dressed with sesame, pickles (well, kimchi) rice, miso soup with egg and sake. I even made my own dashi. It’s not Japan, but I’m happy with this.
  22. eugenep

Mozzarella: what to do with it?

don't think so - like I believe it'll turn stringy-e (like pizza cheese) something about the protein mesh structure that makes it non-ideal for melting cheese unlike ricotta (I believe) and some Latin frying cheese that's "coagulated?" with vinegar
  23. oofencocotte

Gelatin powder

i'm clearing out the cupboards and I found one 10g sachet of gelatin powder. Does anyone have a good use for this? I can't remember why I bought it!
  24. I had a problem with your link, so searched again and used: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/21/dining/diana-kennedy.html Interesting article!
  25. Kerry Beal

collapsed chocolate shells?

How about a combination of invert and glucose. Glucose about 50% of the free water and invert 5-7% of free water (I've also seen 2-3% of total weight of recipe).
  26. Shelby

Kitchen photos

Beautiful @liamsaunt !
  27. FauxPas

Kitchen photos

Wow! Stunning makeover! I love what you did. Did you replace the window also? Do you have drawer or cupboards in the island? Are those quartz countertops?
  1. Load more activity