• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. KennethT

Best way to turn Ramen powder into syrup?

Isn't syrup sugar+water, by definition? I agree with @pastrygirl that it is probably a chili oil of some kind - note that many chili oils are not just chili flakes and oil, but can be quite complex with herbs, spices, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, etc...
  3. Kim Shook

Dinner 2019

Oddly enough, I think I knew this somewhere in the back of my mind. I think Cooks Country made it a while back. I've even bought "Amish" noodles/dumplings. Thanks!
  4. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

Greenspan's recipe is only ever so slightly sweet. Good though, I thought. I bought another orange today!
  5. gfweb

Dinner 2019

Amish chicken pot pie is nothing like this normal looking pot pie. Regulation Amish pot pie is a noodle soup like deal with no pastry at all. This manufacturer is not all that far down the road from us and well into PA Dutch country. I’d bet all their sales are not local. FWIW I think their product is probably better than the authentic one.
  6. Today
  7. Well, there is already enough heat on both packets, chili oil is not needed. I think a simple veg oil would work, i just was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the difference between the powder versions, and the liquid syrup versions. FYI, there is clearly no sugar in these syrup type packets, lol.
  8. pastrygirl

Best way to turn Ramen powder into syrup?

I think of syrup as sticky and sugar based, do you really just need chili oil?
  9. Owtahear

Dinner 2019

Okay. So I had some leftover Dungeness crab meat (I know, how can you have some leftover Dungeness crab meat??) but I did. It was going to spoil soon. I remembered in my freezer I had some shrimp, that I would never use unless it was a soup or sauced dish. So.....looking into the pantry and fridge, I saw ingredients that would make one of my favorite restaurant dishes as a kid. I am not sure how wide spread "Chi Chis" was, but their seafood enchiladas (called "Cancun") was absolutely one of my all time favorite dishes as a kid. Sure, Rick Bayless and other great Mexican chefs may not be impressed, but I recreated this dish tonight. Dungeness crab and shrimp in a sherry/cream/lobster sauce wrapped in enchiladas. May not be Mexican or even Tex Mex, but it is outstanding. Especially unlike Chi Chis, I am using real crab and real shrimp or lobster. Enjoy.
  10. I have recently been buying these SamYang Hot Chicken Flavor Ramen. They are delishous but crazy Hot. It comes with these really thick ramen noodles, a black sesame and seaweed flake packet, and a liquid death syrup packet, lol. I really like the directions, you basicly boil the thick noodles till al dente and drain all water, then add the liquid death syrup and mix, then top with the black seasame and seaweed flakes. Its really good. But i really love the flavor of yakisoba spicy chicken ramen. The only problem is the noodles are thin and the packets are powder and not a syrup. I was wondering if anyone knows how to basicly make it a syrup like the SamYang? I thought of oil, but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. Sometimes they are less then 75 cents at walmart, if its the only way to get the flavor i would buy them just for the flavor packets and add them to a thick ramen noodle.
  11. scamhi

Dinner 2019

stir fry tonight. marinated pork shoulder picked up from H-Mart, added tofu, hoisin, chili paste, scallions, shiitake mushroom chicken stock, cornstarch slurry and a couple of raw eggs to steam.
  12. Owtahear

eG Cook-Off #82: Salmon

Living in Pennsylvania, I have found that cold smoking is pretty easy. Except obviously now through October. When the temp is in the 40's and below, it is easy turn my conventional gas grill into a cold smoker, by lighting charcoal and wood chips in an aluminum tray, keeping the temp down below 50 degrees and cold "smoking" my cured salmon filets. It works, and it is as good if not better than the stuff you buy at high end places in the market or online at $40-50 a lb. Unfortunately now, at this point, with the extremely fresh salmon from Alaska, it is no longer that simple as the weather has gotten much warmer. Sure, still can cure it, make a great product, but cold smoking now requires additional equipment.
  13. Ann_T

Dinner 2019

Tonight's dinner. Thai Red Chicken Curry. And a very nice Okanagan Pinot Grigio from Rust Wine Co.
  14. EatingBen

Kitchen photos

Without doubt the best kitchen I've laid eyes on in this thread. So many others look wonderful and I've no doubt they bring lots of joy but this one is perfect. It looks like a kitchen that is a pleasure to work in, everything to hand, everything easily in reach and easily returned to it's home. I love a comfortable kitchen, it inspires me to cook more! I wish I could do more with my current kitchen but I'm held back by not owning it myself otherwise mine would look similar to yours
  15. - chopping ingredients (nuts and other inclusions) - portioning items that can’t be cut with a confectionery guitar (nougat, caramel, etc.)
  16. pastrygirl

flavored cocoa butter colors

Sounds like the same concept of freeze dried fruit blended into cocoa butter, but this must be more liquid if they're recommending it for decoration rather than molding.
  17. I love Nero Wolfe, in large part due to how much the plots work in dining scenes. I, however, would likely be an Archie, always on the wrong side of Inspector Cramer.
  18. kayb

Adorable Gummies

I could load them up with them and send them home, I guess. Serve their mamas right.
  19. I'm intrigued. Thanks for the link; I read it and chased some of the links. If I were to put a raised, subdivided bed around the base of an oak tree, would that be an appropriate place to try growing mushrooms? I live in Zone 7, so we have a lengthy growing season and relatively warm winter; we'll get below freezing a dozen times or more a winter, but we won't stay there more than a couple of days, typically. What kind of soil medium is best for growing mushrooms? Typically in raised beds, I use a combo of garden soil with horse manure worked in during the fall and left to percolate over the winter under straw. Then I turn the straw under before planting. Will that work? Fertilizer or no? If so, what kind? I love picking herbs and tomatoes and fresh veggies in the morning for dinner that night. Mushrooms would be an added plus!
  20. Yesterday
  21. kayb

Hello!!!

Glad to have you here! Tell us what you like to cook!
  22. kayb

Hello All

Welcome, Aretha. You share a name with one of my very favorite singers.
  23. kayb

Mozzarella: what to do with it?

Some marinara to dip that arancini in does not go amiss....
  24. BeeZee

Mozzarella: what to do with it?

@Darienne, I’m sure you could tear up some of those slices and stack up the bits to make a larger mass to stuff the rice balls. Even if not perfect, they are tasty. A recipe born from using up leftovers.
  25. arethamorce

marijuana food

I tried frozen yogurt infused cannabis before and it really tastes good! i used this strain of MJ https://www.gyo.green/short-cannabis-strains.html everytime i cook marijuana edibles and now there's new and something interesting! On the other hand, Ingesting Cannabis has a side effect that can lead you addiction because of its high dosage that you'll never know how much dosage that food has. By continually do researching, I came across in this an sticks and learning that there are many kinds of cannabis.
  26. arethamorce

Hello All

hi newbie here too
  27. arethamorce

Hello!!!

Hi everyone, newbie here, have a nice day
  1. Load more activity