• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Presumably the potato salad has been made and enjoyed and the red notebook located but if not, check these posts: Potatoes Eggs
  4. heidih

Question about frozen mussels

Yes I noticed - sorry. The DGritzer article is still alive.
  5. JoNorvelleWalker

They all died?
  6. liuzhou

Dead link.
  7. Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Thanks, Heidi, for the information about unopened shellfish. As for the kind of mussel, I don't know--I just know that the store has them but I haven't bought them yet. However, I now have confidence that the frozen ones will work pretty much the same as fresh. We'll get a supply the next time we go to Morelia. Thanks, all-- Nancy in Pátzcuaro
  8. liuzhou

Breakfast 2019

A variation on a theme. 水饺 (shuǐ jiǎo), literally 'water dumplings'. Boiled chicken and shiitake jiaozi in a spicy chicken stock with garlic, chilli and white pepper. Mustard greens.
  9. There are several versions of the WASC, check cakecentral.com and search for the original one by kakeladi. I ended up using the one by Liz Marek on sugargeekshow.com. That one is different in that it has butter added, along with milk instead of water. If I were to use it again, personally, I would back off the additional sugar a little, and cut the almond extract in half. Kakeladi's seems to be loved by tons of people that have tried it. I might try it one day to see what all the fuss is about.
  10. I'm interested in this. I've been on a decades-long hunt for a good white cake. Can you direct me to the actual recipe you used and what adjustments it called for? Thanks so much!
  11. Retailers sell what consumers want and that is usually a lower price. Manufacturers have to cut corners to deliver those prices. p
  12. Kerry Beal

Balancing bonbon recipes

I'm trying to plug a few things into the spreadsheet this evening and I realize that the white chocolate (chocovic opal) appears to contain no milk fat. Unless it's made with nonfat skim milk powder - seems odd there would be none. I'm also discovering how difficult it is to find spec sheets on various chocolates.
  13. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

My black cardamom pods from Penzeys are dried out and splitting. They look like the picture from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_cardamom https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/86/BlackCardamom.jpg
  14. JoNorvelleWalker

Box and Other Hand-held Graters

And now the price of the Cuisipro has gone back up to what I paid for it. Amazing.
  15. ElsieD

Dinner 2019

I have had the green but not the black. Please clarify - they should be splitting or not splitting? I'm thinking not splitting. I'm going to go to the same Indian grocer I bought the green ones from. I'm hoping he'll have the black ones.
  16. Okanagancook

Dinner 2019

Black cardamom is fantastic. The pods should be plumb and not dried out and splitting.
  17. Dante

Dinner 2019

Tonight's dinner: Roasted cauliflower tacos with salsa and avocado, with roasted pineapple (roasted whole with basil and cayenne/maple sugar seasoning) on the side.
  18. Yesterday
  19. JoNorvelleWalker

Box and Other Hand-held Graters

Procrastinating from preparing dinner, I spent a couple pleasant hours reading about box graters and ordered the Cuisipro 6-sided that @rotuts talked about above. Or at least I think it's the same model. Interestingly the amazon price of the Cuisipro has gone down twice since the moment I hit the order button. When the Cuisipro comes I'll have to find a place to put it.
  20. lemniscate

Camping, Princess Style

There were LOTS of coffee cups for The Ellen Show available. Apparently HF Coors made the distinctive coffee cups for Twin Peaks. Agent Cooper loved his coffee and pie. Those I didn't see at the sale.
  21. Captain

Perfectly fine. Especially the New Zealand ones. And as @heidih says.
  22. I agree. My KA processor is maybe 5 years old and every piece of the bowl components are cracked...did not drop them and don’t use it more than once a week...probably less. So far the motor is ok. I’ve gone through 3 microwaves in the past month. And don’t get me started on fridges and freezers....borderline off topic comment☺️
  23. Made a cake for my mom's cousin. She loves basic white birthday cake, so I tried the WASC recipe for the first time. I only make scratch cakes, so using a mix is a no no for me. But, this actually tasted better then just a plain mix. The additions helped improve the texture greatly, didn't seem like a mix as much. She loved it though. I used the Ruby chocolate for the ganache drip since I was going for a pink color anyway.
  24. gulfporter

I bought the frozen green-lipped mussels at Pacifica (it's a decent chain pescaderia) and didn't care for them (very rubbery as well as a bit too fishy taste)...I followed the package directions. They were pricey so I never bought them to try again.
  25. heidih

Are they the blackish/blueish ones or the green lip New Zealander? Thaw by running under cold water for about 10 minutes. Are they debearded? After the under running water, treat like fresh. Kenji at Serious Eats debunks the "unopened" thing "*For the record, you can go ahead and ignore the conventional wisdom that a mussel that doesn't open after cooking shouldn't be eaten. AsDaniel pointed out in his piece on Rhode Island Clam Chowder (and as corroborated by this Australian study)" I'd do a little test drive with a few for confidence.
  26. You can see the type of commercial stuff they make by scrolling down and browsing some of the Restaurant Only items on this page (some of these items could be available at Saturday sales): https://www.hfcoors.com/restaurants-only/
  27. I've been to 3 or 4 of the HF Coors Saturdays. They can be quite busy at times, especially if they advertise certain types of items that will be discounted (on the website or in their email/newsletter). Some of their stuff is really popular and those are the days that people would start lining up really early. There are always some people there before opening, they usually know exactly what they want. It used to be that all of the featured sale items were put out first thing and that meant a real rush at opening, but they said they would start putting items out throughout the day. Not sure if they have followed that new policy or not. This video on the website gives an idea of the Saturdays: https://www.hfcoors.com/visit/ Also, they make a lot of commercial stuff (for restaurants and hotels, promotional items, etc) so lots of that stuff is available at the Saturday sales as seconds or as discontinued lines. They make lots of things other than the lines they sell in their retail shop.
  28. I've been finding that some flavors need more sweetness than others. Unsurprisingly, bitter flavors like cocoa need extra sweetness to compensate. But I'm also finding that fruit flavors don't taste quite right at my usual low sweetness level. It's a kind of balancing act ... similar to getting salt levels right in order to to pop flavors into focus.
  1. Load more activity