• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Lost Feast: Culinary Extinction and the Future of Food, by Lenore Newman. I'm only a few chapters in. It's in the rotation with two other depressing but non-food-related books: Shadow Network: Media, Money, and the Secret Hub of the Radical Right, by Anne Nelson; and Falter: Has the Human Game Begun to Play Itself Out?, by Bill McKibben
  3. Even us east coasters. I planted ramps in two great micro environments for them about 5 yrs ago. I get the same ramps I planted growing every year ....no proliferation. I may have to forage.
  4. lindag

Dinner 2019

Good for you!
  5. I believe I recall seeing the great results.
  6. gfweb

Dinner 2019

It’s a good deal when the meeting is in a cool place. I ought to wise up and stay longer.
  7. lindag

Dinner 2019

How wonderful!
  8. Bistro 110 closed in 2011. However, while there are fewer French restaurants around now than 20+ years ago, nationwide as well as in Chicago, there are still some great ones here in Chicago. Without a doubt, the best (and most expensive) is still Everest, now in its 34th year and still under the helm of Alsatian opening chef-owner Jean Joho. And there are numerous moderately-priced French bistros in the city and suburbs; if you're staying anywhere near downtown, you can't go wrong with La Sardine in the West Loop.
  9. I made this tonight. Browned the sausage (from these folks -- website and Facebook), as you mentioned. but in a big saute pan, then transferred to the IP. I didn't use any stock but I rinsed the tomato cans with some red wine. After seven hours I added oregano, garlic powder, salt and a small glug (is that an oxymoron?) of 10-year balsamic vinegar from Zingerman's; then cooked another two hours. Mixed it with gluten-free fusilli by Bionaturae (one of just two decent brands of g-f pasta, imo, the other being Schär) and cooked a little more. Superb.
  10. Dude, @Norm Matthews, almond paste is easy to make, that goes for marzipan, too. But I know all too well what happens when you have your mind set to go get something that should technically be right there in aisle 5b. @Kim Shook, wow, awesome! I recall you weren't the biggest fan of them, so it was nice to see that you liked them! If you make them again, consider brushing the egg wash on top of a few cookies, and sprinkle with the coarse sugar/salt when the cookies are almost done baking (so the sugar wouldn't melt). I tried this when I couldn't get the sugar on the perimeter to be as pronounced/crunchy. The result was an interesting cookie
  11. I've used the Philips to grill swordfish to my satisfaction.
  12. gfweb

Dinner 2019

Not a whim LOL Work!
  13. Today
  14. lindag

Dinner 2019

Wow! You travel to Amsterdam on a whim? That’s impressive. I’m envious.
  15. gfweb

Dinner 2019

Short trip to Amsterdam. Couple dinners photographed under dim light Appetizer was the Hollands visplateau and just excellent And then the fish of the day which I think was halibut. Also lovely Pate Duck confit
  16. You do realize what a kick in the gut your first sentence brings to us West Coasters? And/but of course, we do expect different flavors from fresh and dried. Still, sounds intriguing. Enjoy and please report back.
  17. This was my first attempt at making ramp powder, actually. Just low and slow in the dehydrator then blitzed in the blender. A glut of ramps this past spring led me to not only freeze but also dry them. A very unique (and different than other preservation techniques) flavour profile seems to get captured via the drying process.
  18. Yesterday
  19. Anna N

Breakfast 2019

Yes those. But I’m still not making them! I don’t care how good they are. 😂
  20. The black one has been stored in the basement since I got the other one a little while ago. I got it out today to make cookies while the bread was rising in the other bowl. It has a smaller bowl and is pretty noisy compared to the red one.
  21. OK, I can't stop thinking about this grill and how I don't need it but I'd like one. My son LOVES grilled swordfish. I toss it in a little lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and parsley and he will eat a pound all by himself (he's 6' 4"). If this can do an amazing job with swordfish which means I don't have to fight the snow outside on the deck for the next four months, it's going on my gift list. He also loves grilled whole Vidalia onions but that's beside the point. What say you who have one; will this do an amazing job of grilling swordfish? I will make room for it if it can......
  22. I grew up in a Croatian neighborhood in Kansas City (Strawberry Hill) and they have the same holiday bread but call it povitica. PS I once lived in a rental house that had black walnut trees and I decided to make some povitica since the nuts were "free". It took months for those black walnut husks to dry out enough. They have to be removed before you can crack open the shells and that is a messy messy chore. I put them in a gunny sack and whacked then up side the tree and ran over them with my car. Just trying to do it by hand will turn your skin walnut brown until it decides to wear off. I finally got enough nuts meat to make the bread and ugh. I found out I didn't like black walnuts. They have quite a different taste than English walnuts. Another time, my uncle gave me a big bag of pecans and I made some povitica with those and that was wonderful.
  23. @Norm Matthews Are those dueling Kitchen Aids?
  24. Long ago before the internet, I occasionally made a German Christmas dessert called Stollen but stopped when I could not get cardamom any more. I was thinking about making it again and wondered if I could find all the stuff I needed to make it now that I am back in Kansas City. I looked all over for the almond paste. Cassie used to get marzipan somewhere but I could not find it anywhere. Finally I went to a cake and candy bakers supply store way out on the old Santa Fe trail road. The parking lot was full when I got there and it was busy inside. When I finally got to the cash register, the lady told me she didn't have any but Hen House grocery did. That is a place I shop often and it's close. So yesterday I got everything I needed and today it has been snowing since before dawn and will still be snowing by dark so it's a good day for baking. The recipe was for one big or two smaller loaves. I made one big one and that was a mistake. By the time the inside was done, the edges were crunchy but it was still good. Charlie had seconds and it was better than I remembered. Another thing I was thinking about was a cookie jar that got broken a long time ago and so I looked for it on ebay and found it.... so i had to make some cookies to fill it. The jar is full and those are the cookies that won't fit. We will have to eat those right away, I guess. For dinner Charlie called Grub Hub and ordered from an Hawaiian restaurant. We had some pork and chicken plus some Spam grilled with teriyaki and wrapped with rice in some seaweed.
  25. Kim Shook

Breakfast 2019

You mean these?
  26. A friend of mine, Sally, is on the program this season. I thought she was a member of this group but could not find her in a search. If you want to read about what it is like to be a competitor see her blog, https://bewitchingkitchen.com/
  27. Dried ramp powder sounds intriguing. Do you have a link?
  28. I made a 'version of' a creamy ramp recipe; 3 tbsp of mayo Quarter lemon Pickled red onions minced Dried ramp powder Olive oil S&P Came out nice, I anticipate the longer it sits the better it will become esp with the dried ramps...
  1. Load more activity