• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. sbain

Colored Cocoa Butter

Hmmm. It is dark chocolate and it did take some whacking to get them out. Might have been the chocolate temper, though I made several different types with the same batch and it was only theses that had issues, so I am inclined to blame the CB. My tempering is usually pretty good, but come to think of it, I did just buy a fancy new Mol d’art melter and this was my first batch using it to temper(seed instead of my usual tabling), so maybe it was off.
  3. JoNorvelleWalker

Caneles

And a Shoprite thing.
  4. Apropos : if MR invoked Red Wine Im sure Id have Fantasmagoric dreams this night MR will help me with brief vignettes why ? MC will fiddle and faddle and go crazy if his Breakfast is not delivered in time : 1/4 can of Friskies Fish Pate from the refrig Micro'd for 6 seconds to take off the chill then a decent portion of his 1/3d cup of
  5. Too many. But I organize them as follows, cookbooks which in my mind are technique and dictionary books , cuisinebooks that are more internationally or ethnic focused, and then recipebooks which are compilations of recipes from magazines, ingredient (olive oil, meat, etc) driven recipes, or broadly focused on something like BBQ. Just makes it easier for me to grab what I want.
  6. JoNorvelleWalker

Ice Cream!

I have and recommend the ICE-100. My advice is to use only about 800 g of mix per batch and to spin for 15 minutes, 20 minutes maximum. I get better results with the ice cream paddle rather than with the gelato paddle. The gelato paddle is supposed to reduce overrun. Don't forget to run the machine for about 15 minutes to precool before adding the mix. See the other ice cream threads -- of which there are about four or five going at the moment.
  7. Kerry Beal

Unusual & unknown kitchen gadgets

No other pics - sorry
  8. I only see one set of LL's pic posted by LL @Anna N Im not suggesting that LL @Anna N took them are their more somewhere else ? I do know we i.e. me will be so disappointed when we know How do I know this ? it in a Thrift Shop not on a counter of the original purchaser just saying
  9. sartoric

Dinner 2019

A really simple spinach omelette with a piece of toast. Thanks for the basil ideas, I gave a bunch away and puréed the rest, then popped it into ice cube trays in the freezer.
  10. Kerry Beal

This particular lunch lady thought she had done a much better job on the pictures!
  11. Chocoguyin Pemby

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )

So I got some LorAnn Orange oil and made these bars with it. Good thing I still had some syringes from when my dog was sick as that really helped me with the dosing of the chocolate. I found that .55ml flavoured 1 kg of chocolate.
  12. I agree. Fun is Fun but Ive noted the Lunch Ladies should have taken more pics. the Ovals Stacked etc. not that they would do something like that on purpose
  13. Kerry Beal

But a very good idea if we ever want to know what they are!
  14. blue_dolphin

I suppose one could email the photos to the general contact for the company and see if they respond. Though I guess that takes the fun out of the enterprise!
  15. Today
  16. Not exactly your everyday lunch! Glad the food was good.
  17. or some were missing ? an intelligent local person would call the VV and ask them what it was local would be key
  18. Kerry Beal

Or missing a piece
  19. So whatever it is was a starter set.
  20. Kerry Beal

Only 3 - but could have held more. vv’s in Brampton - 410 and 7
  21. slowshooter

Best First Cookbook

Best first cookbook? As much as I would like to drop off a thick tome of technique and recipes. I think the Sunset book (or something akin to it) would be best if a used copy could be found. It covered measures and recipes in a way that was easily understood. For someone who has difficulty with turning on a stove or oven, and doesn't know a spatula from a spoon? There was book called The Complete Illustrated Step by Step Guide to Cooking and it was very much a monkey see, monkey do, sort of international cookbook. It's about 30 years old, and can be found for a pittance. The recipes are about what you would expect, very simple, with a few needed chef notes to goose the flavor. That said a complete tyro could make a dish from it without ending up in the hospital, or burning down the house. In the age of youtube and food television, seems that authors forget that not every budding cook is starting with a solid foundation in the kitchen. If there was a combination of the two books above with really great recipes, that'd be the single book I'd get. I think my first cookbook was either a Betty Crocker book, or a section from Mary Margaret McBride's gigantic doorstop. Yikes, I'm old!
  22. I mix a packet of dried coconut cream into a can of coconut milk and, according to the information on the packet and can and assuming my math is correct, that puts me almost spot on with the fat content of heavy cream. As Kerry mentioned above, it's a different type of fat from the dairy and has a softening effect greater than the sum of it's parts but, as Jim mentioned, that can be compensated for by ratios and I only use it in shell molded chocolates so I don't need it to be as firm as I would for cutting and dipping.
  23. there were only three felt-bottomed ovals ? did they fit on the wooden pet felt side down or felt side up ? what's the name of the Thrift Shop?", BTW their seem to be a zillion Value Village stores in thew GTA this one ? NE Burlington 2030 Appleby Line Burlington, ON L7L 6M6 (289) 812-0247 Read more at https://stores.savers.com/on/burlington/valuevillage-thrift-store-2144.html#Zz4k76AeizFMtTmR.99
  24. For my coconut cream ganache, I use 150g coconut milk (emusified so that water and coconut are thoroughly mixed), 450g white chocolate, and 15g coconut rum (plus other flavorings). As Merry Berry implied, it is probably best to stick with the same brand of coconut milk (or you can purchase coconut purée from such manufacturers as Boiron). 465:150 is a very high proportion of chocolate to liquid, but the coconut milk I use is quite fluid.
  25. You are all such good sports we will have to find something else equally mysterious just to keep you on your toes.
  26. Which brand of coconut milk did you use? I have tried quite a few and I always find the fat to water content ratio to be wildly different between brands. Also, just like with regular ganache, you probably should have used coconut cream just as you would use heavy cream versus milk. Better fat content ratio. That is what I am guessing went wrong, but I have never made ganache with coconut cream so maybe someone who has will chime in.
  27. Funny observation/ Here in Los Anglees where you can feel like you are IN an Asian local market in many places - HMart is not as loved and is perceived as a bit anitseptic. I go several miles furter to feel the energy. The madrush i produce dept. Feom my 2011 blog.
  1. Load more activity