Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cooking with "Chocolates and Confections" by Peter Greweling (Part 1)

Confections Chocolate Cookbook

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
594 replies to this topic

#571 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for the advice on the anise sticks. I suspect the precoat will make all the difference in getting the little peaks right.

I'll have to try the tabling.

#572 Lior

Lior
  • society donor
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for such a long explanation. May I ask about the glazing screen? What is it exactly?

#573 prairiegirl

prairiegirl
  • participating member
  • 362 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the information. I imagine that the beehive chocolate would turn out better if it is tabled. I'll have to check the recipe. When I made the beehive, it was good, but difficult for the chocolate to set up properly!

#574 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for such a long explanation. May I ask about the glazing screen? What is it exactly?

View Post

lior, this is a glazing screen, also called a truffle grid...sometimes in a commercial kitchen we use roasting racks for the same thing. the ones made specifically for chocolate usually have a smaller grid pattern.

#575 Lior

Lior
  • society donor
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:42 PM

Alanamoana thank you so much! My curiosity was aroused by an unfamiliar term! I am familiar with the truffle grid though. You are a sweetie!!! :rolleyes:

#576 Tiny

Tiny
  • participating member
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:22 AM

Today was butter ganache day in class. I made Raniers.

I really liked the texture of the butter ganaches better than cream ganaches, never really had them before. The strawberry balsamic was my favorite.

I posted more pics here on my facebook album at http://www.facebook....295&id=50313279

#577 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 877 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:34 AM

This is great, thanks Tiny! I feel like I'm taking the course through you. I've never made butter ganache either, but now I want to try it.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

#578 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:06 PM

Loving the pictures! What's under the cinnamon stacks?

I love the look of the Raniers.

#579 Tiny

Tiny
  • participating member
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:47 PM

No prob emmalish...yeah you should deffinately try them!

Kerry, Under the cinnamon stacks is a very thin layer or marzipan that is backed with chocolate.

#580 Tiny

Tiny
  • participating member
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:27 PM

Today started non crystaline confections. Every one made hard candy today and toffee. I made root beer hard candy and pecan butter crunch toffee.....the toffee was AMAZINGLY good.

Pictures here http://www.facebook....295&id=50313279

#581 Tiny

Tiny
  • participating member
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:54 PM

Last 2 days we finished up with non crystaline confections and started crystaline confections.

Lior, I made liquor cordials today (lemoncello ones) so I can answer that question you had. The reason chef Greweling says to cook unsweetened liquor to 119 and sweetened to 117 has to do with the balance of sugar in the final liquid. At 119 the syrup is on the edge of being a super saturated sugar solution which is what you are after since in starch molding these you want the very edge to crystalize while leaving the centers liquid. The reason that you'd cook a sweetened liquor solution to a lower temp is so you'd have a slight bit more water in the solution to compensate for the extra sugar you're adding with the liquor. When he says to add the liquor at the end and that it should be warm, he just means warm to the touch, not hot, not cold so as to not shock the sugar. If you are filling truffle shells instead of starch molding, he said that he would cook the sugar a few degrees lower and let it cool covered with a damp rag and plastic wrap till it was room temp. The reason for the lower temp is that it isn't as important to be toeing the edge of super saturation since all that really needs to crystalize is the very tip at the opening of the truffle.......hope this helps. There are pictures at the link I've posted to my facebook album.

#582 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:18 PM

Last 2 days we finished up with non crystaline confections and started crystaline confections.

Enjoyed those last pictures of the starch molded confections. Are those starch moguls homemade or purchased?

#583 Tiny

Tiny
  • participating member
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:12 PM

They are homemade and easy to make. To make them, you fill a cheap chocolate mold (or any kind of mold) with plaster and let it set then glue them onto a stick.

#584 Lior

Lior
  • society donor
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:15 PM

Very very nice! Thank you ever so much!! I guess he should have written: "heat sugar syrup" not liquour, to 119! I am glad you cleared that up for me! Thanks for the pictures! It seems an amazing course! I wrote to him and asked if he could come here and he actually answered me! I hope it will work out!

#585 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:42 AM

Very very nice! Thank you ever so much!! I guess he should have written: "heat sugar syrup" not liquour, to 119! I am glad you cleared that up for me! Thanks for the pictures! It seems an amazing course! I wrote to him and asked if he could come here and he actually answered me! I hope it will work out!

View Post

Does this mean we are all heading to Israel for a class?

edited to correctly spell Israel!

Edited by Kerry Beal, 06 June 2008 - 08:46 AM.

#586 prairiegirl

prairiegirl
  • participating member
  • 362 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:04 AM

Tiny,
Thanks for all the great info. Many years ago I tried making the liqueur cordials and they crystallized severely! When you gently stir the syrup and alcohol together, how should it be done? Some books suggest pouring from one container to another a couple of times. What method were you taught?

#587 Lior

Lior
  • society donor
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:26 AM

You are certainly welcome!! :smile:

#588 Tiny

Tiny
  • participating member
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

More pictures up at my facebook album, finished the cordials today, made some pralines "yankee" style....

Prairiegirl, there are 3 possible reasons why the sugar would over crystalize. The first and most likely is that it can be over cooked. Cordials are super temperature dependant and even a degree or two over can cause them to over crystalize. The 2nd possibility is that the syrup was agitated too much when the liquor was added. We stirred the liquor in very gently with a rubber spat, but after we did this, Chef came over and told us that the safer way would be to pour the two back and forth between 2 containers, that way you know they are fully mixed and it is gentle on the syrup. The 3rd possible way to over crystalize the cordials is to use improper sugar cooking technique, a few seed crystals stuck on the side of the pan or some adulterant in the syrup can ruin a whole batch. It's a very delicate process.

I found that lemoncello makes a very nice cordial, more potent liquors are too boozy for me. Chef said eau de vies make wonderful flavors, but are just too potent, which I agree with after tasting a grand marnier cordial...just too much alcohol!

#589 Tiny

Tiny
  • participating member
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:21 PM

http://www.facebook....59e&id=50313279
2nd facebook album

Today was aerated confections day, I made Torrone, and finished my PB&J's from jelly day yesterday. Also the class plated up for "Grand Buffet" today.

Tomorrow is my last day of chocolates class....such a sad day.....it was such a great class!

#590 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:30 PM

http://www.facebook....59e&id=50313279
2nd facebook album

Today was aerated confections day, I made Torrone, and finished my PB&J's from jelly day yesterday. Also the class plated up for "Grand Buffet" today.

Tomorrow is my last day of chocolates class....such a sad day.....it was such a great class!

View Post

That Torrone looks wonderful. And the collection of pralines - fabulous! I'm going to miss your class, perhaps not as much as you, but still...

#591 gap

gap
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:14 PM

the safer way would be to pour the two back and forth between 2 containers, that way you know they are fully mixed and it is gentle on the syrup.

View Post

I agree with all of Tiny's points. The only thing I would add is we were always told to mix the alcohol and sugar syrup by pouring from one bowl to the next and only do three full cycles. Any more risks over-agitating the sugar.

#592 merlicky

merlicky
  • participating member
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:54 PM

Tiny,

When you made the butter ganaches (if you made any that required fondant) what was the consistency of the fondant and what method did you use to get it incorporated smoothly.

I’ve made the lemon logs a few times and have had more trouble than I should getting the fondant to spread evenly throughout the batch. Thanks.

#593 Tiny

Tiny
  • participating member
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:55 PM

merlicky, when making butter ganache with fondant as the sweetener, the butter needs to be soft. but not too soft and the fondant should be warmed to the consistency of the butter, but not too warm. Then you place them both into a kitchenaid and cream them together with the paddle, think creaming method like making pound cake, you cream them till the mixture is homogenous and light and airy.

#594 gfron1

gfron1
  • legacy participant
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:05 PM

For finishing salt, splurge and get something nice. And again, I would push for you to get the Big Tree Farms salt pyramids. HERE are the pyramids,
and here's all of their salts

Great products.

#595 Spring

Spring
  • participating member
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:21 AM

For finishing salt, splurge and get something nice.  And again, I would push for you to get the Big Tree Farms salt pyramids.  HERE are the pyramids,
and here's all of their salts

Great products.

View Post

Would I need to get both or could I use the pyramid for both internal flavour and decoration and the fleur de sel the same?

[Moderator note: This topic continues here, Cooking with "Chocolates and Confections" by Peter Greweling (Part 2)]

Edited by Mjx, 19 November 2013 - 06:31 AM.
Moderator note added.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections, Chocolate, Cookbook