Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Enrober Questions

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#91 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:31 PM

Bring this older topic up again. I have been looking at a Perfect. Anyone have new information about reasonably priced enrobers?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

#92 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

I am also looking to buy a small (possibly used) enrobing machine. I really like the Dedy 220 but with everything and shipping is about 18K. The Hilliard's six inch coater is cheaper but I am not sure how well will it work. Any experience?
Thank you.
PS: I haven't been on the forum in a long time, sorry and well re-met everyone.
Vanessa

#93 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 10,219 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

I am also looking to buy a small (possibly used) enrobing machine. I really like the Dedy 220 but with everything and shipping is about 18K. The Hilliard's six inch coater is cheaper but I am not sure how well will it work. Any experience?
Thank you.
PS: I haven't been on the forum in a long time, sorry and well re-met everyone.

Vanessa - we've missed you. Glad to see you back on the forum. Have you noticed that upcoming conference in Washington - we'd love to have you join us?

The problem I have with the Hilliard 6 inch coater is that there is no paper take off when the product comes off the chain.

You might want to look at one of the Perfect Equipment setups - you attach their enrober to either their air or water machine. I've forgotten the pricing - but I think it comes in less than 18K. Link here.

#94 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

I bought the Perfect, and mostly we get along just fine. There are days when I am not happy with it, but for the most part, it does what I ask. It was just under $12K. Come on over Vanessa and I will show it to you:-)

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

#95 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

Awwww I 've missed you too :-(
Thank you so much for your input as always Kerry <3
Ruth I really need to come pay you a visit, we are so close!!! I saw the video of your enrobing machine online, soo cool. I know it is a big investment, I am moving into a slighlty different field with my confections and I need to move faster than I did in the past 6 years, no more waiting, but I really want to grow in sinc with my possibilities.
The Perfect enrober look very nice, I will look into and plan a trip to Utah asap :-)
Thank you ladies, is good to be back <3
Vanessa

#96 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 10,219 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:43 AM

Group buy going on now for the Perfect - PM me and I'll link you to the eG member organizing it.

#97 TexasFudge

TexasFudge
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

Im sorry for bringing up old threads but im trying to price enrobers and so far the only one Ive looked at is Hilliards and they seem a little high. Im on the perfect website now and im trying to download their catalog. I live in Texas so how much is the mini-enrober and could it be shipped to Texas?

#98 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 418 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

Perfect will definitely ship to Texas. The price for the Perfect Air 2 and Enro 2 (tempering machine and enrobing belt) will be approx. $11,500.
Contact them - they speak english and are nice people to work with.

#99 YetiChocolates

YetiChocolates
  • participating member
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:02 PM

Alright, going to revitalize this thread as I need some advice.  

As many of you know, I'm in the process of putting the plans in place to start my chocolate business.  I would like to upgrade my chocolate melter/tempering unit and want to get a unit that I can eventually attach an enrober to, but I'm trying to decide which brand to go with.  Price as always is an issue.  

Of course the Selmi would probably be my first choice, but financially I don't think I can swing it.  

Looking on TFC Sales, they have a Dedy Mini Moulder that seems like a good choice for my needs, but I've heard some debate on the wheel temperers and how they tend to thicken the chocolate quicker.  I also cannot seem to find any reviews on the Dedy Mini Moulder.  But the price is reasonable, and they have a mini enrober attachment available.  

I guess I'm curious the thoughts of the veterans on this thread are on this particular brand, and if it's no good, a decent alternative in the 5-7k range.  Any feedback would be appreciated!

#100 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:05 AM

Bakon also has a mini enrober (http://www.bakonusa....es/mini-enrober). They are on the west coast, so shipping costs might be better for you. I have two of their melters and am very happy with them. I think Rob has the Bakon wheel temperer. There is also the enrobing line from Perfect (http://www.perfectchoco.com/en/perfect-equipments)... that is what Ruth uses. Looks like Perfect's pricing for a regular enrober is close to Dedy & Bakon's pricing for a mini enrober.
  • gfron1 likes this

#101 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 477 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:59 AM

I like my Perfect---don't love it.  I bought because of price, space it takes and power. It runs on one 110 outlet. Not many can do that. I would love a Selmi, but don't have 3-phase or want the heat of a converter. I think you can order them for single phase.  The Perfect gets the job done. It takes a getting used to, as I'm sure any of them do. The instructions are practically nonexistent. They have pretty good support. I usually run it for about 3 hours at a time, once a week. Busier times, more. The mini enrobers won't have a blower, detailer, bottomer, and other things the larger ones will. Plan a trip and come on down and try it out:)

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

#102 YetiChocolates

YetiChocolates
  • participating member
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:59 AM

I like my Perfect---don't love it.  I bought because of price, space it takes and power. It runs on one 110 outlet. Not many can do that. I would love a Selmi, but don't have 3-phase or want the heat of a converter. I think you can order them for single phase.  The Perfect gets the job done. It takes a getting used to, as I'm sure any of them do. The instructions are practically nonexistent. They have pretty good support. I usually run it for about 3 hours at a time, once a week. Busier times, more. The mini enrobers won't have a blower, detailer, bottomer, and other things the larger ones will. Plan a trip and come on down and try it out:)

Oooh, maybe I can take a long weekend when I get down to Jackson and come play.  I'll keep that in the back of my mind...

And I spoke with Rob first about his Bakon Donna and he feels the same way Ruth does, likes it but does not love it.  He's not a fan of how small the bowl is, creates a big mess, and watching the demo online I'd have to agree with him, not impressed with how small the bowl is.  

If I did decide to go with the Dedy, TCF is in TX, so not too far.  Not close, but nothing is when it comes to large confectionary equipment  on the west coast.

Did you purchase your Perfect in Quebec Ruth and have them ship/import it to you? 

Edited by YetiChocolates, 06 March 2015 - 11:00 AM.

#103 gfron1

gfron1
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:00 AM

and to be specific - the bowl would be fine if the spout wasn't right in the middle of it. You lose a third of your bowl in the process.

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#104 YetiChocolates

YetiChocolates
  • participating member
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:23 AM

I just requested more info from TCF about the Dedy mini enrober, but looking at the pic on their website, looks like it has a blower and in the description is says it has a detailer...

http://www.tcfsales....s-of-all-Kinds/

#105 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 477 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:21 PM

Yes, I bought direct from them. I think it cost about $700 for the shipping and paper work. Tom at TCF is a nice guy and good to deal with. I think Tom reps a small enrober from Italy. Have you talked with him about it?

Edited by Chocolot, 06 March 2015 - 12:24 PM.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

#106 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:13 PM

and to be specific - the bowl would be fine if the spout wasn't right in the middle of it. You lose a third of your bowl in the process.

Very good to know if I ever graduate from melters to an enrober.