Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Adventures in Starting a Chocolate Business

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#241 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:01 AM

Thank you!!!! I will correct it! Also thanks for the airplane mold links!

#242 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:02 AM

Corrected!!

#243 Spring

Spring
  • participating member
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:37 PM

Thank you!!!! I will correct it!  Also thanks for the airplane mold links!

View Post

Youre most welcome :smile:

#244 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:26 AM

New eG member here.

I have just finished reading the 9 pages of this thread and am exhausted just reading it. What energy!! I really do admire those of you with the courage to start out in this business. If I were 30 years younger....????

One thing apparent is that American laws on setting up a food business seem much more stringent that Ontario laws for sure. Our public health inspectors ask for far less than yours do. I think. I could be wrong.

The eG forums are amazing! I had never heard the term 'keystone' before...thanks for the meaning...and have still to find out what the BNI is and also what are 'ballotins' and 'Cambro' pans. Don't be concerned...I'll look them up.

Good to know that caramels, praline pretzels and marshmallows are less heat sensitive...My son lives in Nova Scotia and I live in Ontario and I want to be able to mail him some chocolate confections in the winter.

And what about those bacon marshmallows that Kerry suggested????
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#245 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:14 PM

One thing apparent is that American laws on setting up a food business seem much more stringent that Ontario laws for sure.  Our public health inspectors ask for far less than yours do.  I think.  I could be wrong.

View Post

Welcome Darienne! Just wanted to let you know that here in BC the laws are pretty strict so it sounds like it's a province by province and state by state situation.
Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#246 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:04 AM

View Post

[/quote]
Welcome Darienne! Just wanted to let you know that here in BC the laws are pretty strict so it sounds like it's a province by province and state by state situation.

View Post

[/quote]

I don't know the laws about restaurants or stores, but to supply stores or sell at the Farmer's Market, etc, you need to have an 'approved' kitchen which entails an overhead fan, two or three sinks...my friend has only two...clean up with special solution, a fridge which keeps stuff at x degrees, and no pets which have access. I even with two big dogs could have an approved kitchen...I have looked into it seriously...if I closed off my current studio from the house...not locked off because I could still leave the kitchen to use the house bathroom, put back the original sinks, and installed an outside entrance...which in our case would not be a big deal because there was one there when we bought the house. My studio (and the hall, kitchen and downstairs bathroom) was part of an added apiary to our house which is a century farmhouse out in the middle of nowhere.

It seems to me that our regulations are a tad lax. But then when you think of some restaurants which have approved kitchens and the disregarding of regulations which can go on in them.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#247 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,868 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:19 PM

Another fabulous website here from our own schneich. I love the view through the store window on page 29.

#248 pastrymama

pastrymama
  • participating member
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

What a wonderful website. All the pastries are soooooo beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

#249 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,868 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:23 PM

You have got to check out this website. It's our own Sote23.

I've been going back over the old P&B threads for lack of new posts on eG lately and came across one from not that long ago where Luis asked "do I really need to temper chocolate?" He's obviously taken all the advice to heart and learned a ton - and just look at this gorgeous website.

So Luis - how do you make the pattern on the top of the chocolate you show in your wedding page?

#250 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 908 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:37 PM

Wow, those are all so gorgeous! I'm interested to hear how that pattern was made too. If I had to guess, I'd think it was airbrushed on with a stencil after the chocolate had set. How about the Pineapple? Is that a transfer sheet or did you just drizzle a chocolate pattern on them?

(...I'm still looking through the site)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

#251 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:55 PM

Beautiful website, great picture to accompany chocolates. One of the nicest I've seen.
Mark
www.roseconfections.com

#252 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:43 AM

I agree- your site and chocolates are lovely! I wish you much success!!

#253 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:39 PM

Chocolot, as noted in this forum, is starting a new chocolatier business and I have posted photos of her wonderful presentation boxes and ideas on another thread. Plus she has been so helpful to me in my efforts to master all this new 'stuff'.

Now the very good news is that Ruth has won 8 out of 10 medals presented this week at the Utah Chocolate Festival.

That should boost her visibility as a new player in the chocolate field. Congratulations, Chocolot!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

You go, girl.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#254 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:13 PM

You have got to check out this website.  It's our own Sote23.

I've been going back over the old P&B threads for lack of new posts on eG lately and came across one from not that long ago where Luis asked "do I really need to temper chocolate?"  He's obviously taken all the advice to heart and learned a ton - and just look at this gorgeous website.

So Luis - how do you make the pattern on the top of the chocolate you show in your wedding page?

View Post

I agree, Luis, Bravo! Beautiful chocolates. Stencil?
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

#255 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:23 PM

I am moving again, second time in the last 7 months. Does anything have a business in the Milwaukee area or know much about small chocolateers in the area?
Mark
www.roseconfections.com

#256 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:42 PM

Mark, I wish you the best, I hope you can find what you need at the new location. Keep us posted.
Vanessa

#257 sote23

sote23
  • participating member
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:12 PM

sorry everyone, I never saw this thread. Thanks for the great comments. That chocolate on the wedding page is made with a custom stencil. My wife designed it in Adobe Illustrator, we sent the file to a stencil company and a week later the stencil arrived. To get the pattern, we used luster dust applied with one of those cheapy spongy paint brushes. It works like a charm.

Luis

#258 sote23

sote23
  • participating member
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:15 PM

Wow, those are all so gorgeous! I'm interested to hear how that pattern was made too. If I had to guess, I'd think it was airbrushed on with a stencil after the chocolate had set. How about the Pineapple? Is that a transfer sheet or did you just drizzle a chocolate pattern on them?

(...I'm still looking through the site)

View Post

Hi,
The pineapple top is made with putting a layer of white chocolate on top, then drizzle with dark chocolate, it makes great patterns.

Luis

#259 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:40 PM

Is there anyone who is based in Wisconsin who is versed in health dept. rules and regs? Can you have a business in your house? I know in Michigan you can have one if there is a separate kitchen area & sometimes an outside entrance? Or if you know a link that is helpful in these issues or even better a ciontact to talk too?

Thanks
Mark
www.roseconfections.com

#260 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,868 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:55 AM

Valentines - a great time for a little more positive press on our own Sote23. Check out this link to a nice little article on Luis's business endeavors.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate