Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Peeling a cucumber with a knife

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Shaya

Shaya
  • participating member
  • 859 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:35 PM

The key is to clean it as soon as you finish using it so theres no time for dried on crud to accumulate.

View Post

Easier-said-than-done when you have a kid (or two) in your arms while you are cooking, eating, washing up.... The dishwasher can be a blessing for those tools that get forgotten in the chaos of a busy home.

I almost always peel cucmumbers with a knife - usually I cut a segment and go around in a circle. It comes off like a charm. I do the same for zucchini.

#32 annecros

annecros
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:38 PM

My guess is that most of the answers above could read:  I do it this way because my mother did!

:raz:

(Well, that was my theory before santo_grace posted!)

View Post

Nah, mom was all about the vegetable peeler. Actually, now that I think of it, she was quite aggressive in her wielding of the peeler...

#33 lcdm

lcdm
  • participating member
  • 490 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:14 AM

I always use a knife to peel veggies and fruit ; except carrots, than I use a peeler.

Lisa

#34 insomniac

insomniac
  • participating member
  • 786 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:17 AM

I always use a knife to peel veggies and fruit ; except carrots, than I use a peeler.

Lisa

View Post

ditto, except add parsnips to the peeler list