Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Peeling a cucumber with a knife

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Shaya

• participating member
  • 859 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:35 PM

The key is to clean it as soon as you finish using it so theres no time for dried on crud to accumulate.

View Post

Easier-said-than-done when you have a kid (or two) in your arms while you are cooking, eating, washing up.... The dishwasher can be a blessing for those tools that get forgotten in the chaos of a busy home.

I almost always peel cucmumbers with a knife - usually I cut a segment and go around in a circle. It comes off like a charm. I do the same for zucchini.

#32 annecros

• eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:38 PM

My guess is that most of the answers above could read:  I do it this way because my mother did!

(Well, that was my theory before santo_grace posted!)

View Post

Nah, mom was all about the vegetable peeler. Actually, now that I think of it, she was quite aggressive in her wielding of the peeler...

#33 lcdm

• participating member
  • 490 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:14 AM

I always use a knife to peel veggies and fruit ; except carrots, than I use a peeler.

#34 insomniac

• participating member
  • 786 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:17 AM

I always use a knife to peel veggies and fruit ; except carrots, than I use a peeler.

View Post

ditto, except add parsnips to the peeler list