Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Scotch Cocktails

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#91 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

Can't go wrong with Highland Park. Next up on my list would be one of the Balvenie bottlings, I think. Though single malt Scotch is rapidly getting out of my price range.

Stick with HP. I've not been too impressed with Balvenie.

#92 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

Since I make so few scotch cocktails, I just use my Aberlour A'bunadh.  It seems to work well enough.

Edited by haresfur, 28 January 2014 - 07:02 PM.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#93 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

Oh man, I'd love to feel flush enough to do that!

#94 Blether

Blether
  • participating member
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

Spike a good cava with a bit of good blended scotch and you'll feel flush enough.

#95 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 853 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Can't go wrong with Highland Park. Next up on my list would be one of the Balvenie bottlings, I think. Though single malt Scotch is rapidly getting out of my price range.

Stick with HP. I've not been too impressed with Balvenie.

I'll almost always choose American whiskey over Scotch, but the Balvenie 21 is in my top 10 whiskies of all time. I like the Doublewood (12 year, the 17 is crap) quite a bit for mixing.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#96 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

At $40-50, Balvenie Doublewood is expensive as a base spirit mixer, and I don't think it's all that great for drinking neat. Pass.

#97 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:52 AM

At $40-50, Balvenie Doublewood is expensive as a base spirit mixer, and I don't think it's all that great for drinking neat. Pass.

I would be overjoyed if I could get it for $50. Around here, it's priced at $84.95.

Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#98 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

wow, the 12 year?

#99 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

wow, the 12 year?

Yessir.

Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#100 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

I went for bold last night with the Brass Rail (Zachary Gelnaw-Rubin). 2 oz Highland Park 12 years (the recipe called for a blended scotch), 0.5 oz Averna, 1 dash of orange bitters (I used a mix of Regan and Fee), lemon zest.

It tasted boozy, smoky, a little bitter. A slight metallic taste also.

12941490014_ca1253a15f_z.jpg

#101 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

At Dutch Kills week before last, Giuseppe made me a Cat's Meow, a drink by Aisha Sharpe from BAR. I think he said they reworked it slightly. Whatever he did, it was really delicious. It's essentially a Remember The Maine with Islay scotch instead of rye, but the phenols in the scotch really alter the sense of the drink. It's also a little drier than we make the Maine at Heaven's Dog. Here's the recipe he gave me:

Cat's Meow

1 1/2 oz Islay scotch
1/2 oz Carpano Antica
1/4 oz Cherry Heering
3 dashes absinthe

Stirred then strained over a large cube, lemon twist. (And if you're going full Kills style, the ice is cut from a lake in Virginia. Bastards.)

I tried it last night with Laphroaig 10 years, Dolin rouge, Luxardo cherry liqueur, and St. George absinthe. Quite intense, even with dilution. It would probably work best with a milder Islay.

12961047433_e1b78f10c0_z.jpg

#102 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

Finally got inspired enough to make the Honey-Ginger syrup needed for the Penicillin(read, finally remembered to buy ginger when I went to the store). I used this recipe

Penicillin (Link)

2 Oz Blended Scotch( Ballantines)

0.75 Oz Lemon Juice

0.75 Oz Honey-Ginger Syrup

0.25 Oz Islay Scotch (Laphroaig)

It really is a delightful drink. Not as medicinal as I expected, the Islay came through, but muted. Will have to remember this one when winter comes around again. And as a bonus the syrup is excellent, and will be very nice with ice cream.

Edited by Czequershuus, 12 April 2014 - 07:07 AM.

• haresfur and Rafa like this