Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

"Making Artisan Chocolates" by Andrew Shotts

Confections Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#31 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:05 AM

Drew says the pate layer should have been 1/4 inch thick and mine was really not.  Perhaps it's user error?  I'll try again soon, gotta go back into town to Trader Joes for the cheap berries.  I know lots of us bought the book.  Anyone else wanna try?

View Post

The whole layer thickness thing I find challenging. Never quite know what size to set my rulers.

What is the overall thickness we are aiming for with both layers? So far we know the pate should be 1/4 inch, is the ganache almost doulble that or a bit less? Given my geometry skills it still doesn't mean I'd be able to calculate the size to set the rulers.

#32 tammylc

tammylc
  • participating member
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:50 AM

For the strawberry balsamic ones I made, my pate layer was about 1/4 inch thick and it turned out I was using a 7 inch square pan, not an 8 inch as I thought I was using.

I aimed for a ganache layer that was equal in thickness, and used 6 ounces of chocolate and 4 ounces of cream plus 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

#33 bonbonman

bonbonman
  • legacy participant
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:53 AM

For the strawberry balsamic ones I made, my pate layer was about 1/4 inch thick and it turned out I was using a 7 inch square pan, not an 8 inch as I thought I was using. 

I aimed for a ganache layer that was equal in thickness, and used 6 ounces of chocolate and 4 ounces of cream plus 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar.

View Post

tammy nailed it ..1/4" each ....you want equal layers...drew

#34 duckduck

duckduck
  • participating member
  • 946 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:42 AM

Drew says the pate layer should have been 1/4 inch thick and mine was really not.  Perhaps it's user error?  I'll try again soon, gotta go back into town to Trader Joes for the cheap berries.  I know lots of us bought the book.  Anyone else wanna try?

View Post

Just got my chocosphere order and waiting on G pectin. I'll be in it soon. Probably start with some truffles or the salted caramel this weekend.
Pamela Wilkinson
www.portlandfood.org
Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

#35 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:29 AM

Adding one more positive vote for the crispy critters (sorry crispy crunchies). The rug rats nanny is eating her third one today right now. She is my pickiest chocolate critic. If she doesn't like it, she just spits it out.

#36 duckduck

duckduck
  • participating member
  • 946 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:20 PM

Just in case anyone else is trying to track down the mojito liqueur, here's some info on it.
http://www.beveragew...hp?item_id=5333
Pamela Wilkinson
www.portlandfood.org
Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

#37 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,308 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:36 PM

Adding one more positive vote for the crispy critters (sorry crispy crunchies).  The rug rats nanny is eating her third one today right now.  She is my pickiest chocolate critic.  If she doesn't like it, she just spits it out.

View Post

And Kerry brought me a few samples - they are gone! Gone! Gone! I can't wait to make these.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#38 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,308 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:38 PM

Does anyone know if Sambuca (white) would be a good substitute for Pastis to make the Lime-Pastis on page 111? I have never tasted Pastis.

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#39 bonbonman

bonbonman
  • legacy participant
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:22 PM

i am glad you like the "critters"...do not know about sambuca but i do know that tequilla would work well...and aged anejo

#40 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,308 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:18 PM

i am glad you like the "critters"...do not know about sambuca but i do know that tequilla would work well...and aged anejo

View Post

Thank you, Andrew. I was hoping to explore the licorice/lime combo so I just might give it a shot with both tequila and sambuca. Obviously I need to do more research on liqueurs/liquors as I have never heard of anejo but then I do live in Ontario the Good!

Edited to clarify - not both sambuca and tequila in the same batch! I mean separate batches!

Edited by Anna N, 24 January 2007 - 04:19 PM.

My 2004 eG Blog

#41 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:10 PM

I'm experimenting with the raspberry wasabi and I have a question.

When I reconstitute wasabi for sushi I add vinegar and let it sit for a while to develop. I added the required pinch of wasabi to the recipe, tasted and didn't really get much heat. So by the time I was done I'd probably added about 1/2 a tsp. The question then is this - does dry wasabi powder lose it's punch as it ages? Perhaps a better question would be, once the powder has had a chance to be rehydrated by the ganache ingredients am I going to have a hell of a hot ganache tomorrow?

#42 Trishiad

Trishiad
  • participating member
  • 544 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:59 AM

Kerry,

I too used some older wasabi powder from the cupboard. I think I added close to 1/4 teaspoon and even days later I never noticed it. I was going to buy some fresh and try again.

#43 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

I'm experimenting with the raspberry wasabi and I have a question. 

When I reconstitute wasabi for sushi I add vinegar and let it sit for a while to develop.  I added the required pinch of wasabi to the recipe, tasted and didn't really get much heat.  So by the time I was done I'd probably added about 1/2 a tsp.  The question then is this - does dry wasabi powder lose it's punch as it ages?  Perhaps a better question would be, once the powder has had a chance to be rehydrated by the ganache ingredients am I going to have a hell of a hot ganache tomorrow?

View Post

I make a chipotle chili pepper ganache and I have to tell you, I put a LOT of chili pepper in it. I’ve always heard that eating something sweet can help to cut the burning sensation of chili pepper. Perhaps the sugars in the ganache mask the heat of the capsaicin. In other words, you may have to add more than you think you’ll need.
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

#44 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:03 PM

Well the raspberry wasabi were a big hit, but they needed more heat. I'm sure it was due to the old wasabi. I'm going to try again with fresh wasabi and keep adding until I get that burn in the back of my nose. The raspberry layer was nice and firm (cooked for 3 minutes rather than 2). The ganache layer was soft, but I was able to dip them fairly easily even though I didn't freeze them.

The raspberry flavour was wonderfully fresh.

This recipe is a keeper - with or without the wasabi.

#45 duckduck

duckduck
  • participating member
  • 946 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:34 PM

I'm working on the carribean cocktail now and my only gripe is that it smells so good as you're making it, that you want to taste it. Don't do it my friends. Once you do, you'll just want to pour it over ice, top it with a small umbrella and find a lounge chair. :laugh: Yummy!
Pamela Wilkinson
www.portlandfood.org

#46 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:04 PM

I'm working on the carribean cocktail now and my only gripe is that it smells so good as you're making it, that you want to taste it. Don't do it my friends. Once you do, you'll just want to pour it over ice, top it with a small umbrella and find a lounge chair.  :laugh: Yummy!

View Post

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Vanessa

#47 duckduck

duckduck
  • participating member
  • 946 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:05 AM

My ganache came out a little bit soft but I think I have an issue with my scale. Looking into a new one. It's nice and creamy when you bite into them. I'll definately make this one again. I think for myself, I might lower the Meyer's rum a bit. It's not overpowering, but I'd like the coconut rum to be a little more forward. Nice pineapple flavor. I'll feed them to my coworkers and get their feedback. They'll polish them off in a heartbeat. I was glad to see that it is a smaller batch so there's no reason for me not to make them.

Edited by duckduck, 30 January 2007 - 11:11 AM.

Pamela Wilkinson
www.portlandfood.org

#48 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:28 PM

Pamela, it might even be the different type of chocolate,since they have different cocoa butter and cocoa mass contenent from brand to brand.
I bet everyone were happy after eat them huuuh :laugh:
Vanessa

#49 duckduck

duckduck
  • participating member
  • 946 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:11 PM

They were very happy! :biggrin: I snagged the last one. The rum mellows a lot after a day. Very nice. They disappeared very quickly.
Pamela Wilkinson
www.portlandfood.org

#50 Stuckey

Stuckey
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:13 AM

Quite a few of the ganache recipes call for small amounts of cocoa butter (about 1/4 oz.). Since cocoa butter is not easy to source in Australia, can I simply sub a bit of heavy cream for the cocoa butter, or just leave it out altogether? I realise that either way, there will be a change in the texture of the final product. Would it be worth my while trying to track down some cocoa butter? Cheers.

#51 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:24 AM

Quite a few of the ganache recipes call for small amounts of cocoa butter (about 1/4 oz.). Since cocoa butter is not easy to source in Australia, can I simply sub a bit of heavy cream for the cocoa butter, or just leave it out altogether? I realise that either way, there will be a change in the texture of the final product. Would it be worth my while trying to track down some cocoa butter? Cheers.

View Post

I would use either a bit of extra dark chocolate (if suitable in the recipe) or find some cocoa butter. Try a health food store, they often sell big jars of pure cocoa butter for applying to your skin. Cream will just make things softer, the cocoa butter helps make the ganache firmer at room temperature.

Otherwise leave it out.

#52 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:30 AM

View Post

i might recommend calling a local high end restaurant to see if they use cocoa butter and then trying to buy some from the restaurant. some places might be snooty about it, but you never know unless you try.

#53 lapin d'or

lapin d'or
  • participating member
  • 307 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:19 PM

This firm in Australia sell pure cocoa butter for making cosmetics. New Directions web site

I have used 100% pure cocoa butter from cosmetic suppliers before when I only wanted a very small amount. I would just check with them the product has been prepared and packaged ok for food use.

I have used the uk site before as they carry a wide range of natural fats/butters etc.

Jill

#54 choux

choux
  • participating member
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:15 PM

OK so I finally got around to making some stuff from the book. I ordered the 'g' pectin from Chef Rubber, and tried some jellies. I hadn't made them before, since the only way I could find pectin was in 7kg buckets, and I didn't want that much. Well, it works really well, it's super easy and the results are awesome. I made the Strawberry-Balsamic and the Raspberry(no wasabi). The jellies are yummy, and the perfect texture. I really liked the flavour of the Strawberry-Balsamic.

I also tried the Salted Caramel(yummy) and the Hazelnut praline. The flavour of the Hazelnut was good, but my sucky food processer wouldn't grind the praline finely enough.

I've noticed that as the raspberry jellies have sat for a couple of days, there is a slight grainy texture on the chocolate that is in direct contact with it. Should I have let the jelly dry a little more?

#55 Stuckey

Stuckey
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:04 AM

This firm in Australia sell pure cocoa butter for making cosmetics. New Directions web site

I have used 100% pure cocoa butter from cosmetic suppliers before when I only wanted a very small amount. I would just check with them the product has been prepared and packaged ok for food use.

I have used the uk site before as they carry a wide range of natural fats/butters etc.

Jill

View Post

Thank you to you and everyone else for their advice on cocoa butter. I had considered cocoa butter sold for cosmetic purposes, but I wasn't sure if they were food-safe. I will make enquiries about that. I also made enquiries about cocoa butter from confectionery producers - minimum order is 25kg! No, thanks!

#56 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:02 AM

It's taken me a couple of years, and lots of friends who also use it but I've finally reached the end of my 35 lb bucket of cocoa butter. Next week I'm going to order my second one.

#57 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:59 AM

Kerry

Did you get the cocoa butter from a Canadian source?

Mark
Mark
www.roseconfections.com

#58 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:41 AM

Yes, I have friends who have an ingredient company (and now they also own a chocolate panning operation). They sold me the pail. They actually have their company in my home town, so it was a simple matter of just running over and picking it up. I suspect the next pail will cost me a bit more than the last. I think the source might be american, I'm not at home now so I can't look on the pail, but I'll try to remember to check for you on Wednesday evening when I get home. I do know that Qzina in Toronto sells smaller pails of cocaobarry cocoa butter, and I'm sure the Miami or San Fransisco Qzina would carry it also.

#59 duckduck

duckduck
  • participating member
  • 946 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:04 AM

I dipped my strawberry balsamic last night. Mom is loving them. I let them dry overnight so I'll keep a couple for a few days and see how they are. Got the salted caramel waiting to be capped off tonight and I have some leftover dark shells so I'm thinking of doing the mango mint coriander tonight. I'll do milk chocolate shells later in the week and go for the pb&j and the tequila lime.
Pamela Wilkinson
www.portlandfood.org

#60 duckduck

duckduck
  • participating member
  • 946 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:29 AM

My salted caramel has great color and is nice and creamy but came out a little salty. I think I need to go back and double check the measurement I used and maybe back it off a little bit with the particular salt I used. The mango mint coriander was really nice. It doesn't scream mango but the three flavors work really well together. It's nice and delicate. So far all my ganaches have been nice and soft and creamy with a wonderful mouthfeel. :wub:

Edited to say that right as soon as I posted that the caramel is too salty, coworkers are saying the caramel is the best one and I'm getting thumbs up. Just me, I guess! :raz:
Oh, and I made the caramel corn last night. Ummm....it didn't make it to work. I took a bite, looked at the batch and commented that it just wasn't enough to take to work. The general consensus in the kitchen was that it wasn't going anywhere. The words I remember hearing were, "Nope. Not gonna share." :laugh:

Edited by duckduck, 08 February 2007 - 11:45 AM.

Pamela Wilkinson
www.portlandfood.org

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections, Chocolate