Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Where to buy almond paste

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sararwelch

Sararwelch
  • participating member
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:50 PM

I have taken to making almond paste based macaroons. All I've been able to find in my local stores is the 7 oz tube by Odense, which is very pricey, and doesn't even supply me with the 8 ounces I need for the recipe.

I've done a search online and found almond paste in cans, but never more than 10 ounces to a pound per can. Is there a place you'd recommend where I can buy a few pounds of almond paste for a decent price?

#2 Melanger

Melanger
  • participating member
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:41 PM

I have taken to making almond paste based macaroons. All I've been able to find in my local stores is the 7 oz tube by Odense, which is very pricey, and doesn't even supply me with the 8 ounces I need for the recipe.

I've done a search online and found almond paste in cans, but never more than 10 ounces to a pound per can. Is there a place you'd recommend where I can buy a few pounds of almond paste for a decent price?

View Post

Try this:
http://pastrychef.co...ste_3754154.htm

Hope it helps!

#3 beccaboo

beccaboo
  • participating member
  • 335 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:58 AM

View Post

It's easy to make--I use the recipe in Joy of Cooking. An advantage of making it yourself is that you can use rose water or orange blossom water instead of almond extract if, like me, you don't really like strong almond extract taste.

#4 armchairchef

armchairchef
  • participating member
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:14 AM

I have gotten mine from the King Arthur catalog. Just google King Arthur baking and the URl should come up. It's in a can and it's much better than Odense! I'm a believer!

#5 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:34 AM

I have gotten mine from the King Arthur catalog. Just google King Arthur baking and the URl should come up. It's in a can and it's much better than Odense! I'm a believer!

View Post

yes, but it only comes in 10 oz cans.

edited to add: chefs' warehouse has large cans

probably, if you look at links in threads about high quality chocolate, you'll find sources for almond paste as well.

Edited by alanamoana, 13 December 2006 - 08:37 AM.

#6 rickster

rickster
  • participating member
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:51 AM

have gotten mine from the King Arthur catalog. Just google King Arthur baking and the URl should come up. It's in a can and it's much better than Odense! I'm a believer!

The KA stuff is great, but their shipping costs seem to have gotten outrageous over the past year or so. I've always ordered from them but will be looking for another source.

#7 David Israel

David Israel
  • society donor
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:20 AM

L'epicerie (L'epicerie) sells almond paste, both in one-pound and 3-kilo quantities. The price for the one-pound container is $8.85; the 3-kilo container is priced at $49.60 (approximately $7.50 per pound). They have a large selection of ingredients for pastry and savory cooking.

#8 Sugarnspice

Sugarnspice
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:23 AM

Hi!

I got mine here. Price is more than reasonable (better than the links above as far as I can tell) and service is incredible. Ordered it in the afternoon and it arrived (NJ to NY) the very next day.

Hope this helps.

Alex

#9 skyflyer3

skyflyer3
  • participating member
  • 248 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:50 PM

I hear Chefshop has some good almond paste, in a tub.

Chefshop almond paste

#10 highchef

highchef
  • participating member
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:15 AM

Hi!

I got mine here. Price is more than reasonable (better than the links above as far as I can tell) and service is incredible. Ordered it in the afternoon and it arrived (NJ to NY) the very next day.

Hope this helps.

Alex

View Post

Thank you for that link. I needed a source for unsalted pistachios (sp?) for some nougat, and this looks like the place! I'm going to order today.

#11 KatieM

KatieM
  • participating member
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:21 AM

Ditto the thanks on posting that link! I just ordered a boatload of stuff. Good price on montgomerency cherries. I needed some hazelnuts and pistachios (I can't spell it either) in addition to the almond paste to complete my holiday baking. It should all be here on Monday. How excellent!

Edited to remove my unneccessary capitalizations.

Edited by KatieM, 14 December 2006 - 09:22 AM.

#12 Rhea_S

Rhea_S
  • participating member
  • 648 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:17 AM

L'epicerie (L'epicerie) sells almond paste, both in one-pound and 3-kilo quantities.  The price for the one-pound container is $8.85; the 3-kilo container is priced at $49.60 (approximately $7.50 per pound).  They have a large selection of ingredients for pastry and savory cooking.

View Post

I'll add a vote for l'epicerie. Excellent customer service and I find their prices very reasonable.