Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

San Antonio - Merged topics

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Bill Miller

Bill Miller
  • participating member
  • 494 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:49 PM

Just tried for a reservation at Le Reve first week end in June--they are closed to open a new Italian venture in the old Pearl Beer Brewery--no reservations, but maybe an adventure --the chef is incredable--Le Reve will re open--he will now have three in San Antonio.
Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

#62 tupac17616

tupac17616
  • participating member
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:13 PM

Just tried for a reservation at Le Reve first week end in June--they are closed to open a new Italian venture in the old Pearl Beer Brewery--no reservations, but maybe an adventure --the chef is incredable--Le Reve will re open--he will now have three in San Antonio.

View Post

Good to hear that place's (Il Sogno, I think it's going to be called) opening is not far off.
Even his burger joint is quite good, in my opinion.

#63 DanM

DanM
  • participating member
  • 870 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:36 AM

I will be in San Antonio this fall. Are there any suggestions for a kid friendly lunch spot near the Alamo or the botanical garden? Simple food is a plus.

What about ice cream shops? How is the new CIA campus bakery?

Dan
"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

#64 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

. . . Are there any suggestions for a kid friendly lunch spot near the Alamo or the botanical garden? Simple food is a plus.

What about ice cream shops?

DanM: Can’t help with kid-friendly dining, but there is a Haagen-Dazs shop next to the Alamo gardens.

We just returned from a 3-day trip to SA. Fruit empanadas at the Mi Tierra bakery were incredible, even the next morning, and carnitas from the restaurant were wonderfully crisp-tender and succulent.

Monterey was interesting, which was exactly what I was looking for that evening. Curried roasted cauliflower with salted grapes was fantastic. I ordered pickled seasonal vegetables and got kimchi, nothing wrong with it but not what I was expecting. Chicken liver mousse with tomato jam was good, but overly sweet to my taste and not enough bread. Tomato salad was quite good but outstanding backyard tomatoes have spoiled us this year. Like I said – not everything worked, but all was interesting.

We drove about 45 minutes out of town to enjoy a meat-laden lunch at Coopers in New Braunfels. Pork loin was the best I have ever eaten by a long stretch, and the beef ribs were fantastic.

#65 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

Interesting to read the progression over the years on this thread...

Liberty bar has moved from Josephine St to south of downtown. La Reve is no more. There are a lot of great places and many many average restaurants in San Antonio. Haha I thought everyone knew what a "puffy" was! If you want great Mexican you need to hit a hole in the wall not a big overpriced place like Mi Tierra. But in their defence the location is great for tourists, are open 24 hours, have a bakery and a bar. Most mom and pop joints are open early and are closed by 3pm.

I mostly cook at home and avoid paying at restaurants. What I will drive for is Vietnamese. Large population and you can get a decent bowl of Pho just about anywhere though there are a couple exceptional places: Vietnam and Pho Cong Ly. As far as I'm concerned both of these restaurants set the bar for ethnic Pho and fried spring rolls- not the puny finger-sized but the big crispy rolls that are served cut into large bite-sized portions with lettuce, basil, cilantro and nam plah.

Every one forgets about poor old San Antonio- but it's in the top ten for size and in the top 5 for ethnic diversity for the nation.

I do think our plentiful BBQ is not up to par, but I guess Rudy's "Worst BBQ in Texas" is worth a trip out north of town. Mine is better. :raz:

#66 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Any updated San Antonio recommendations, particularly places downtown? I'm going to be in town for a day or so next month.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#67 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

Downtown! Sounds like business...

I'd stay and eat here if possible: http://www.thefairmo...nio.com/dining/

Believe it or not this guy used to EC at the above location many years ago over a different restaurant... http://www.biga.com/menus.html Eat there.

An extremely short cab-ride or nice stroll away from the Riverwalk and the convention center is a No Reservations-grade location: http://www.liberty-bar.com/

Just a wee bit further is: http://www.foodisbliss.com/bliss.php

Ultimately, if I could only hit one place it would be the Liberty Bar. If I was alone I'd eat at the bar and have a few beers. Otherwise get a table. Enjoy some bread and butter. Bottle of wine...

#68 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Awesome, thanks. I've got time to hit Tre Trattoria and Biga for dinner and Liberty for lunch: I could stand one more lunch option in that general vicinity, if you've got any other ideas.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#69 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

Sure do. This place: http://www.esquiretavern-sa.com/

#70 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Perfect, thanks again. I'm looking forward to the trip, I've never been to SA.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org