Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

San Antonio - Merged topics

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#31 Kent Wang

Kent Wang
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:38 PM

You could try to get a reservation at La Reve, which was nominated for the James Beard Award for the southwest.

#32 markabauman

markabauman
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:46 AM

Anything new since these posts? We will be spending a week in San Antonio for a conference, staying by the Riverwalk. Some of the travel info they sent about Riverwalk seems to indicate that there are a number of the usual chain suspects, likely to be avoided. Any further Riverwalk recommendations (Tex-Mex or otherwise)? We won't have transportation, but are sure willing to take a taxi or public transportation to find some decent places-at any end of the spectrum. Thanks.
Mark A. Bauman

#33 Jmahl

Jmahl
  • participating member
  • 816 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 02:52 PM

If you are in SA you have to check out Liberty Bar. Worth the trip for nothing else -- only a mile or two from downtown.

Jmahl
The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

#34 Deacon

Deacon
  • participating member
  • 403 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:57 AM

I recommend Mi Tierra Cafe and Bakery for Tex-Mex. Especially good for breakfast, or just for having a pastry and coffee outside at a table and watching the world go by.

#35 franktex

franktex
  • participating member
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:02 AM

I'd recommend Budro's on the RW. You should also venture out of the downtown area for some great Tex-Mex at Blanco Cafe, and a visit to Blue Star Brewing near town. That part of town(S. Alamo St.) is very walkable, and has many great restaurants. Guajillos' is also very good. The Mercado is always worth a visit, and the Broadway Central Market is my favorite of all of the Central Markets.
FM
Frank in Austin

#36 theabroma

theabroma
  • 692 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:43 PM

Neither MX, MX-TX, or TX-MX, but The Silo (on Broadway, but far enough north that the street is called something else I can't remember) and The Liberty Bar on Josephine. Liberty Bar is an institution with an ecelctic and wonderful menu.

Theabroma
Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

#37 mrabinow

mrabinow
  • participating member
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:05 PM

Did a quick search of the forum and didn't find anything that really helped. What are the top, most interesting restaurants in the area? Do any of these restaurants have good wine lists with REASONABLY priced wines? It seems like San Antonio is a culinary desert. Please prove me wrong.

Thanks in advance.

#38 theabroma

theabroma
  • 692 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

OOOOhhhh! Liberty Bar on Josephine St. ... for lunch. Refreshingly wonderful and eclectic. Biga on the Banks, Chez Ardid, The Silo (really excellent) would be fun for dinner. Zenaida's Patio for local, historic color, And, of course, Mi Tierra in the Mercado, for breakfast in the wee hours.

I know that there are many more great places, but these are some of my fave go-back-to's.

Theabroma
Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

#39 mrabinow

mrabinow
  • participating member
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:22 AM

OOOOhhhh!  Liberty Bar on Josephine St. ... for lunch.  Refreshingly wonderful and eclectic.  Biga on the Banks, Chez Ardid, The Silo (really excellent) would be fun for dinner.  Zenaida's Patio for local, historic color, And, of course, Mi Tierra in the Mercado, for breakfast in the wee hours. 

I know that there are many more great places, but these are some of my fave go-back-to's.

Theabroma

View Post

Thank you - I'll check them out. Do they have good wine lists?

#40 zephyrus

zephyrus
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:28 AM

http://www.restaurantlereve.com/

not cheap. but excellent. terms of pricing on wines i doubt it is what one would call reasonable, but i really do not know since on the two occassions i have been i had the wine pairings....

rankings being subjective and all take this as you will, i believe Gourmet ranked them as the Fifth best restaurant in the country....

#41 Bill Miller

Bill Miller
  • participating member
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:39 PM

OOOOhhhh!  Liberty Bar on Josephine St. ... for lunch.  Refreshingly wonderful and eclectic.  Biga on the Banks, Chez Ardid, The Silo (really excellent) would be fun for dinner.  Zenaida's Patio for local, historic color, And, of course, Mi Tierra in the Mercado, for breakfast in the wee hours. 

Theabroma

View Post

Thank you - I'll check them out. Do they have good wine lists?

View Post

Le Reve is one of the great resteraunts in America, NYC, San Francisco, New Orleans, Las Vegas, or-----no kidding, pure class.

Edited by Bill Miller, 11 January 2008 - 09:40 PM.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

#42 MCM

MCM
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:04 PM

The Lodge Restaurant

#43 MMerrill

MMerrill
  • participating member
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:41 AM

Last Thursday, we stopped with some friends for lunch at The Lodge in San Antonio. The restaurant is in an historic house that was the "castle" in what's now the Castle Hills neighborhood. The dining spaces are in various rooms throughout the house which has been maintained pretty much in its original configuration.

Everything about our lunch was outstanding - the food, the service and the setting. They offer an incredible lunch deal from a set menu - 2 courses for $12 or 3 courses for $16. And any bottle of wine from their excellent list is %25 off. There are also a number of wines offered by the glass. Among our party of 4 we tried 2 first courses - a lovely roasted pepper soup garnished with some herbed ricotta and (maybe) basil oil, and risotto with bits of roasted baby eggplant, arugula, other vegetables and cheese - pecorino Romano, I think. Both delicious! Three of us had one of their signature dishes for mains - "Grilled Texas Bobwhite Quail with Point Reyes Blue Cheese "Farrotto," Butter Baked Apple and Grilled Pear Salsa." The quail is mostly boned, so it's easy to eat, and the combination of flavors and textures was just wonderful. For dessert we tried another signature dish - "Soufflé" Inspired Chocolate Nutella Cake with Hazelnut Ganache and Berries, and something else that was buttery and caramelly. Guess what? Both were great!

I can't imagine how they are able to offer food of this quality at this price. The dinner menu is quite a bit more expensive, but still good value, considering the lovely setting and exceptional food. If you find yourself in San Antonio, seek this place out. http://www.thelodgerestaurant.com/

#44 tetsujustin

tetsujustin
  • participating member
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:32 AM

Last Thursday, we stopped with some friends for lunch at The Lodge in San Antonio.  The restaurant is in an historic house that was the "castle" in what's now the Castle Hills neighborhood.  The dining spaces are in various rooms throughout the house which has been maintained pretty much in its original configuration. 

Everything about our lunch was outstanding - the food, the service and the setting.  They offer an incredible lunch deal from a set menu - 2 courses for $12 or 3 courses for $16.  And any bottle of wine from their excellent list is %25 off.  There are also a number of wines offered by the glass.  Among our party of 4 we tried 2 first courses - a lovely roasted pepper soup garnished with some herbed ricotta and (maybe) basil oil, and risotto with bits of roasted baby eggplant, arugula, other vegetables and cheese - pecorino Romano, I think.  Both delicious!  Three of us had  one of their signature dishes for mains - "Grilled Texas Bobwhite Quail with Point Reyes Blue Cheese "Farrotto," Butter Baked Apple and Grilled Pear Salsa."  The quail is mostly boned, so it's easy to eat, and the combination of flavors and textures was just wonderful.  For dessert we tried another signature dish -  "Soufflé" Inspired Chocolate Nutella Cake with Hazelnut Ganache and Berries, and something else that was buttery and caramelly.  Guess what?  Both were great!

I can't imagine how they are able to offer food of this quality at this price.  The dinner menu is quite a bit more expensive, but still good value, considering the lovely setting and exceptional food.  If you find yourself in San Antonio, seek this place out.    http://www.thelodgerestaurant.com/

View Post

I've yet to make it up to The Lodge, but I competed against their chef de cuisine at the young chef's competition the last three years. great, great cook (and a nice guy too), so I'm not surprised by your experience. I've really gotta make it up there.

#45 moosnsqrl

moosnsqrl
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:28 AM

Bumping this and setting tighter parameters . . . lunch on a Saturday, Sunday breakfast, lunch on a Monday, early dinner on a Monday.

If the restos there don't typically close Sundays and Mondays someone can just tell me that and answer accordingly. I really wanted to try La Reve but we won't be there anytime they are service, apparently. Good food at any price point - we're neither snobby nor frugal - just want good food, whether it's upscale or funky.

Thanks in advance.
Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

#46 moosnsqrl

moosnsqrl
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:42 AM

As it happened, The Lodge did a special four-course dinner on the Sunday of the Final Four weekend, so we were able to partake of their goodness. What a meal! From amuse (simple blackberry and raspberry, with a dab of TX goat cheese, fennel pollen and honey from Italy) to gazpacho w/crab and avocado, duck confit orrichieti, fabulous filet and a deconstructed blueberry cheesecake for dessert - all was incredible and ridiculously low-priced. As someone said upthread . . . how can they DO it?

The setting is beautiful, too, and the service polished. It was truly an oasis is a sea of over-crowded insanity.

Thanks for the suggestion and, if you haven't been, go!
Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

#47 markabauman

markabauman
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:09 PM

I saw the recommendation for Mi Tierra. Any other places for a good Tex-Mex breakfast, e.g. huevos rancheros, etc.?
Mark A. Bauman

#48 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:40 PM

I saw the recommendation for Mi Tierra. Any other places for a good Tex-Mex breakfast, e.g. huevos rancheros, etc.?

View Post

I cannot recommned Le Reve highly enough for fine dining. As for Mi Tierra, well to each their own, but IMHO it absolutly SUCKS. Worst dining experience in SA, ever. Click here if you care for more details.
Do yourself a favor and head to any taqueria for a better meal.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#49 markabauman

markabauman
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:29 PM

Quick report: we did get to Mi Tierra for breakfast; was adequate; wouldn't have returned for any other meals. Didn't get to La Reve, but had excellent food/wine/service at Las Canarias, Citrus at the Valencia Hotel with a group, Pesca for some excellent fish/shellfish. For Tex-Mex, think our favorite was Rosario's. El Mirador, La Fogata were decent. Went to La Paloma Blanca, which was highly recommended, but were disappointed and I'm not sure it was worth the long taxi ride from the RiverWalk area where we were staying. Went with a group on a river dinner cruise, which I think was a mistake. We could have taken a boat cruise (which we did during the day and was excellent), had a dinner on the RiverWalk and spent a lot less money for much better food. I won't mention the name of the restaurant that catered, but I'm sure the food served at the restaurant itself was superior to that served on the boat. Can anyone recommend some favorite taquerias for our next trip? Someone did recommend El 7 Mares for seafood, but didn't have time to get there.
Mark A. Bauman

#50 tupac17616

tupac17616
  • participating member
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:32 PM

Can anyone recommend some favorite taquerias for our next trip?

Thanks for sharing the report, Mark. Next time for tacos, you might check out:
Patty's Taco House
Rolando's Super Taco
El Milagrito
Taco Taco Cafe
Henry's Puffy Taco
To leave San Antonio without trying a puffy taco would be a shame, I think.

#51 markabauman

markabauman
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:16 AM

Muchas gracias! Did see the puffy taco throwdown with Bobby Flay. Not enough days... but will go back some time. Intrigued by the CIA's program down there.
Mark A. Bauman

#52 Bill Miller

Bill Miller
  • participating member
  • 494 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:22 PM

Muchas gracias! Did see the puffy taco throwdown with Bobby Flay. Not enough days... but will go back some time. Intrigued by the CIA's program down there.

View Post

Flemings makes great steaks. :rolleyes:
Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

#53 John Talbott

John Talbott
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:08 AM

Because of a crazy schedule and a long day of travel getting there, my food opportunities were shaped more by the hotel concierges than eG or PM advice.

Having been delayed for 8 hours by a balky fuel filter on United, I arrived hungry and ready to eat the first taco put in front of me, which turned out to be at Rio Rio, which was not bad but not much good either (it and my run/jog/walk/limp the next morning,) proved my intolerance for Mexican cooking and country music. A passable chimichanga with un-passable guacamole and a bottle of Texas Bock ran me $16.18 with tip.

The next AM, I had a hankering for huevos rancheros, and ignoring or contravening Therese's advice, I ate real food (rather than just pastries as advised) at Mi Tierra – mistake, but hey, I scratched the itch to the tune of $10 with tip. But the next AM, I limped over and took back to my hotel back Therese’s faves – a Leche Quemada and Dulce de Naranja – unfortunately only in pumpkin and squash, and the leche was incredible. $3.24 plus a Starbucks doppio at $2.16.

Then for lunch I couldn’t pass up sitting with the other tourists on the Riverwalk at Luciano’s having oversized portions of Caesar salad (awful) and a supposed child’s portion of pizza Margarita (soggy crust, poor ingredients) with a decent house Chianti and an ristretto espresso for $44.95. It was a most bizarre experience; a pan pipe band doing Christmas songs as a hired crew put up a Christmas tree (November 2nd?) jarring me as had those of Gheorghe Zamfir, waking me up every morning on a Galapagos tour boat; a charming waitress named Nuvia (which means rain cloud) who accommodated to my every need (no, get your mind outa the gutter); and sunny warm weather and the setting way over-rode the miserable food.

My next meal was a forced/command performance at Las Canarias which I looked forward to with dread; 16 people; few choices; far way. Well, it wasn’t nearly as bad as I feared. The food, esp. my steak (cooked black-blue) was perfection, I mean, really good, the coq au vin, pas mal de tout and the tarte tatin and crème caramel pretty fine. Plus others reported that the pea soup, salmon and chocolate desserts were good. But, but, but…….the courses took forever to appear, the boss’s wife never got her 1st and they didn’t seem to give a damn about that or anything else (in addition, the amuse-bouche and escargots salad were pathetic). The bill, I dunno, the Boss picked it up. Go? I’d say yes, but kinda remind them to get you “to the Church on time.”

For lunch the next day, heeding Therese’s and other eG members’ advice – I went to the oddly-named, oddly, because I thought Shilo(h) was where we beat these Southern folks into the ground in 1862, not vice-versa. Anyway, Shilo’s, specializing in “German meat” was OK. Therese had advised me to order the tongue, but the Reuben sandwich was speaking to me, so I had it. The black bread was very good, the melted cheese terrific, the sauerkraut for the USA - perfect, the spicy mustard - spicy and the pickle second only to my gold standard at Zabar’s. My bill = $22.26 after the tip. Ah, John, aren’t you leaving something out? Yes, well, the corned beef was the most pathetic I’ve ever had, it tasted like recently-defrosted deli meat at a Safeway. I later learned why, upon ordering some deli meat for the zillion hour airplane trip back to the East Coast tmrw, during which even First Class upgrading (using miles) would get me dreadful food. This paragon of deli’s, serving up (I thought - foolish me) home/store cured meats, actually just peddled the crap from Hormel. Their demon barber/butcher of Fleet Street looked half-stoned as he cut my meat, however, the hard salami was quite nice (and certainly better than the airplane steak) but the beef tongue impressed less.

OK. Now altho’ Colette calls me a searcher-out of blame, I’m really very cool, calme, zen, like my idol, Nicolas S., but my last night I went to a place decried not described by my friend and advisor Therese, as the best Mex place near my hotel downtown. And it probably is/was. The Casa Rio is smack on the river, has hundreds of tables and mariachis (whom I hate) all over, plus a Mexican bag piper (as Dave Barry says, I’m not making this up,) upstairs. What I really wanted was some mole on some birdy thing but I couldn’t find it anywhere I looked. So I settled for pollo asada/asado with lotsa hot sauce. The good news: the chips, like they have been here all week, taste of real corn, or at least real corn spray; the guacamole was good but underspiced; the salad was fine; but the red beans, not refried but in a bouillon, were sublime. So with a larme of Merlot the bill was $30.18 with tip.

Edited by John Talbott, 06 November 2008 - 09:55 AM.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

#54 therese

therese
  • participating member
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:34 AM

Oh dear, very bad news about Shilo's. I was last there a couple of years ago and so far as I could tell the tongue was very clearly of non-commercial provenance.

Glad to hear that at least the leche quemada was reasonable. Best option at Casa Rio (and all sorts of dive-y places in San Antonio, actually) is tamales. This area is doesn't do mole, or at least I've never seen it.
Can you pee in the ocean?

#55 markabauman

markabauman
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:27 AM

Actually had a decent mole-dark, chocolate like mole on chicken recently during my trip to SA at El Mirador. I believe the server said they had a cook from Oaxaca.
Mark A. Bauman

#56 tammylc

tammylc
  • participating member
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

What's the smoking situation like at Liberty Bar? I'm in town next week and it sounds like the kind of place it would be fun to take my colleagues to for dinner, but not if we're all going to come out smelling like smoke...

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

#57 Dnguyen

Dnguyen
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:18 PM

Anyone know of any great bakeries around town?

Or any place that makes a specialty dessert you would die for?
maybe like best pie or best cake or cupcake? (flying saucers pie is my favorite in Houston)

I googled Nadler's so im about to go try that place... Any suggestions would be great!

-Thanks Duc

#58 tupac17616

tupac17616
  • participating member
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:39 PM

Anyone know of any great bakeries around town?

Or any place that makes a specialty dessert you would die for?
maybe like best pie or best cake or cupcake? (flying saucers pie is my favorite in Houston)

I googled Nadler's so im about to go try that place... Any suggestions would be great!

-Thanks Duc

Best lemon tart I've ever had:

Sol y Luna
4421 De Zavala Road
(210)492-5777

Tell them Aaron says hello.

I've been curious for a long time about Nadler's myself. Just have never made it over there. Would also like to try Janie's Pie Factory (http://www.janiespiefactory.com/) on of these days. For Mexican bakeries, I like Bedoy's on Hildebrand, and -- I almost hate to admit it -- Mi Tierra downtown.

#59 pater

pater
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

I just moved into the San Antonio area right outside of Randolph AFB in Converse, and I was wondering if there were any suggestions of where to eat aorund this area. I would appreciate any recommendation anybody had.

#60 tupac17616

tupac17616
  • participating member
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:24 PM

I just moved into the San Antonio area right outside of Randolph AFB in Converse, and I was wondering if there were any suggestions of where to eat aorund this area.  I would appreciate any recommendation anybody had.

View Post

You can get to Lockhart in just over an hour or Luling in even less time. BBQ awaits.