Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie

Dessert

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jennie9381

Jennie9381
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:25 AM

Hi, does anyone know if there is a way to make pumpkin pie that is lactose-free and also tastes good? I have never experimented with this before but was hoping some of you more experienced folk would have some answers. Can soy milk replace sweetened condensed milk? I'm assuming not, but are there any alternatives then? Thanks in advance!

#2 Milagai

Milagai
  • participating member
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:00 AM

Soy milk can replace cow-juice, you may have to adjust
the sugar i the recipe some,
and lactose-free dairy milk is also an option.

There are many web sites e.g. vegan sites or
food-allergy related sites, where specific recipes
and techniques are given....

The results apparently are really good.
In the final picture, with the flavorings
and other ingredients, the taste component
of dairy milk may not be that major.

So there should be no reason to doubt that
dairy-free or lactose-free pie can be superb.....

Milagai

#3 Swisskaese

Swisskaese
  • legacy participant
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:28 AM

You could also use coconut milk:

Polynesian Pumpkin Pie

#4 Gifted Gourmet

Gifted Gourmet
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:34 AM

Because I keep kosher, my pumpkin pies have been made with Coffee Rich Nondairy Creamer so that I am not serving a milk product after a turkey dinner .. while it isn't perfect, it does make life simpler ... and I add a little brandy to the creamer which makes it more festive ... :wink:
Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

#5 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:20 AM

I have made pumpkin pie many times with either Silk soy milk or Rice Dream replacing the evaporated milk or cream. I've never seen a recipe calling for sweetened condensed milk, but these wouldn't be an exact replacement for that. But you can make the recipe on a can of pumpkin and sub soy or rice milk with no problem at all.

#6 SuzySushi

SuzySushi
  • participating member
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:29 PM

You don't need to replace sweetened condensed milk. Use the Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie recipe and use your choice of milk substitutes (soy milk, non-dairy creamer, or coconut milk) to replace the evaporated milk. No need to adjust the sugar content then.
SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."
My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

#7 Jennie9381

Jennie9381
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:23 PM

Great, thanks everyone! I've never made a lactose-free pumpkin pie before and usually just ate the regular kind and dealt with the pain afterward, but this year I'm determined to have a pain-free Thanksgiving.

#8 beccaboo

beccaboo
  • participating member
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:35 PM

This pie is dairy and egg free, and actually really good. My daughter likes it better than the label-label-label recipe, and I like it equally well.

Edited by beccaboo, 20 November 2006 - 09:35 PM.

#9 chow guy

chow guy
  • participating member
  • 624 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:56 PM

This pie is dairy and egg free, and actually really good.  My daughter likes it better than the label-label-label recipe, and I like it equally well.

View Post

Thanks for the post....this looks like it would work pretty well, I think I'll try it for a lactose intolerant friend.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert