Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Doughnut help!

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

. When they are gone, they are gone.

I talked to one of the owners and he doesn't seem all that concerned about running out of chicken so early. "Ideal from a business point of view." They were in the middle of their rush so didn't seem like a good time to discuss business philosophy. But it drives me crazy that there isn't a sense of urgency to figure out how to sell more than 60 orders of chicken a day.

Funny to read this, because that is my experience with doughnuts in New England. Butler's in Westport, MA (now closed) used to be open until the doughnuts "were gone." This was particularly true of their cream doughnut; you really had to get their when they opened if you hoped to get any. But it was true generally, and sometimes that place was shut down by 11 a.m.

#32 Holly Moore

Holly Moore
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:00 AM

... But if their goal is to build buzz, then limiting the amount of chicken is definitely doing the trick.

Then again, as Yogi Berra once said, "The place is so busy nobody goes there anymore." Federal Donuts does tweet when they run out of chicken to save a futile trip to way-south 2nd Street.
Holly Moore
"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com
Twitter

#33 cinghiale

cinghiale
  • participating member
  • 578 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

Word has made its way up I-95, it seems:
Till the Last Doughnut and Drumstick