Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Percyn in Stockholm and Paris

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 rooftop1000

rooftop1000
  • participating member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:12 AM

Ummm where was all that seafood?????

tracey
The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers
Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage
garden state motorcyle association

#32 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:22 AM

Intersection of St Germain and St. Jaques

#33 I_call_the_duck

I_call_the_duck
  • participating member
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:36 AM

Posted Image
Aww, thanks for thinking of me, Percy.

Those photos are amazing. Everything looked great…well, maybe not those hot dogs. Regarding the Rudolph, er, reindeer comment, I’m beginning to suspect that my sister did have reindeer meat when she was in Sweden, but called it “beef” so as not to freak out her kids.

Man do I miss Paris--especially the pastries and breads.
Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

#34 cmling

cmling
  • participating member
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:38 PM

Fascinating reading, great pictures. Thank you very much!

Charley
Charles Milton Ling
Vienna, Austria

#35 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:39 PM

Just wonderful, Percy. Thank-you so much for the pictures and the write-up. The eggplant risotto and the desserts at Le Cinq look perfect. :smile:

#36 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:06 PM

MOAN! (drool) :raz:
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#37 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:17 PM

percy great report on le cinq!! tell me about the china, I'm not familiar??

#38 bigkoiguy

bigkoiguy
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:48 PM

Great photos and story. I am so jealous.

Here in Alaska, reindeer is occasionally for sale (though mostly you find reindeer sausage). One source to check is http://www.deltameat.com/. I suspect they will custom butcher a piece for you.

On a funny note, a farmer friend of mine has an entire herd that he keeps for pets believe it or not. I keep eyeing the fat little butterballs thinking.... oh nevermind.

#39 Pan

Pan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 15,543 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:55 AM

Percy, I just caught up on this thread. Thank you very much for letting us experience your meals a bit, vicariously! It's clear how much you loved Le Cinq, but would you like to comment more on what you thought of the food you were served at Arpege (how you rate it)?

#40 hzrt8w

hzrt8w
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:52 AM

Next, was Pan Seared Scallops Root Vegetables and Cream Sauce – The sweetness of the scallops complemented the excellent cream sauce.
Posted Image

View Post

Fascinating pictures, Percy. I am wondering how they can maintain the air bubbles. (I assume they are air bubbles.) Wouldn't air bubbles burst rather quickly?

Edited by hzrt8w, 27 November 2006 - 03:07 AM.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

#41 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 04:46 PM

hzrt8w, I don't claim to be an expert or know their secret, but that dish inspired me to make this and the foam in my dish was made with a home cook's immersion blender a little cream and letchin, so I am sure a bit more heavy cream, letchin and a heavy duty immersion blender would work wonders.

Posted Image

#42 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:20 PM

Percy, I just caught up on this thread. Thank you very much for letting us experience your meals a bit, vicariously! It's clear how much you loved Le Cinq, but would you like to comment more on what you thought of the food you were served at Arpege (how you rate it)?

View Post

You're welcome Michael.

To comment further on Arpege....I had done my usual research on eGullet and other sites, read reviews from other diners, etc and to be honest, I was expecting to have a meal unlike any other I had before, where vegetables would be front and center, exploding with flavor. In certain ways, it did not disappoint. Where else would you be served roasted beet as an entree? And many of the vegetables such as the ones in the ravioli in fish consommé were especially flavorful and crunchy.

But when I look back, the only dishes that really stood out for me were the pigeon (it's sauce in particular) and some cheeses. The rest of the menu I could get at any good restaurant or perhaps even be inspired to cook it at home :rolleyes: . Granted I do not grow my own vegetables, but who is to say that my local farmer did not pour as much of his soul into it as Passard? And dare I say that some dishes like the delicate Brittany lobster were overpowered by an acidic sauce? :shock:

Combine that with the hustle and bustle of the service, the long wait between certain courses, the relatively high price (even compared to other 3 star restaurants) and my heightened expectations and you may see why I was a bit disappointed. I do not regret trying this restaurant, but it would not be high on my list of recommendations to my friends.

Hope that helps...is there a particular dish you were curious about or wanted me to share my recollection of?

Cheers
Percy

#43 LindaK

LindaK
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:21 PM

For those of us who love Paris but whose budget doesn't allow us such splurges, thanks for letting us live vicariously! You do an amazing job of describing these complex courses and meals. I can almost taste them.

#44 Pan

Pan
  • 15,543 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:40 AM

[...]Hope that helps...is there a particular dish you were curious about or wanted me to share my recollection of?

Cheers
Percy

View Post

No, Percy, that was sufficient for me.

Based on your experience, as well as some other people's, I definitely feel we did the right thing in cancelling our reservations during our trip to France in 2002. It wouldn't have been worth the money to us.

#45 Stigand

Stigand
  • participating member
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 06:04 AM

Wonderful report, Percy. I am curious about the shrimp "pil-pil" that you had. Pil-Pil is generally made with salt cod and olive oil and a fairly involved cooking process. Would you happen to know if this was a real pi-pil to which they substituted shrimp after the sauce was made, or a variation that they called "pil-pil" because of a textural resemblance?

View Post

I can't intelligently compare the Gambas "pil-pil" I had to the version you reference, since I have not tried the Bacalao pil-pil. Though there was olive oil, I don't remember any Cod in the version I got and would not be surprised if they took a few short cuts compared to the Bacalao pil-pil from Basque, however, for comparision, the sauce of seemed to have a much more complex flavor than the typical Gambas tapas I have ever tasted.

View Post

A few years ago I posted on the Spain and Portugal board about a small cerveceria in Andalusia where I frequently ate, among other things, a dish the restaurant described as 'gambas al pil-pil' - prawns stewed in a terracotta dish of garlicky, guindilla-y olive oil. My post attracted withering scorn from the local experts who pointed out that this dish was in fact 'gambas al ajillo'. :hmmm: Either way, it was very good.

Edited by Stigand, 03 December 2006 - 06:04 AM.

#46 Jeff L

Jeff L
  • participating member
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:16 AM

Two hours later, I was glad the meal came to an end and thankful to have such a great experience. I have been to many restaurants, some more expensive, but none came as close to a perfect dining experience as the one I had at Le Cinq. The wait staff were charming, polite, appeared out of nowhere like magicians and moved with a grace of dance professionals. The head waiter noting that I enjoyed food even gave me a complimentary copy of Les Grande Tables du Monde.

I have been thinking about the food, the service, the décor, the ambiance…what would I change? How can they improve? And nearly 24 hrs later, I can’t think of anything but trival, minute things. I have an overwhelming amount of good things that come to mind. A new bar has been set.

In summary, this restaurant has reinstated my trust in the Michelin guide and is truly a bargain when compared to the other 3 star restaurants.

Cheers
Percy

View Post

Percy, wonderful job on reporting as usual. When I was in the airline industry, I stayed in The Four Seasons regularly all over the world. There is no question in my mind that they are at the top of their game in every category, especially the food. Usually, their dining rooms are the best or one of the best in the cities they have a presence. Philly of course is no exception. I can remember one particularly late night when I called room service well after 1:00 am and got the most perfect cheeseburgers and hand cut fries I've ever had.

I was so impressed with their headquarters facility in Toronto that I felt compelled to write a letter to Izzy Sharp, Chairman of the company. He sent me a personal note back asking if I would mind if he used my letter in their training program..classy guy, classy company.