Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cake scrap uses

Dessert

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 cakedecorator1968

cakedecorator1968
  • participating member
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:00 PM

Dear Everybody,

Just wondering if you have any good ideas on how to use up misc. cake crumbs and also crumbs made from baked crushed biscotti cookies?

I already make rum balls with the cake crumbs and use biscotti crumbs for cheesecake bottoms instead of graham crumbs.

Do you think cake crumbs could be recycled back into a cake instead of some of the flour for example?

Thank you!
Sean

#2 SweetSide

SweetSide
  • participating member
  • 513 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:15 PM

Punschtorte (which I've never made) uses cake scraps as one of the ingredients.

Here is a link for one example click and scroll down.

As I'm not a fan of rum, I've never had the occasion to make one. But, if you like rum balls, this may be an alternative.
Cheryl, The Sweet Side

#3 etalanian

etalanian
  • participating member
  • 538 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:33 PM

If you want something that your customers won't see everywhere else, try using the crumbs to make Bakewell Tarts. They are from Bakewell, Derby England. There are many variations, both with and without cake crumbs. Here are some links to recipes on the internet, which use crumbs.

I have served Bakewells as part of a dessert table at several dinner parties and they are always a big hit.

http://www.cookitsim...0010-050m4.html

http://www.angelfire...n/bakewell.html

http://recipes.epicu...ll-pudding.html

It is a pastry layer spread with jam with a frangipane-type top layer. Really quite delicious. Be sure to use butter for the best flavor.

Eileen
Eileen Talanian
[size="3"]HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com
HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com[/size]

[size="3"]As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow[/size]

#4 kitchenmage

kitchenmage
  • participating member
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:02 AM

Sean,

I made "bread pudding" of a sort with my last pile of leftover cake scraps. Not exactly a recipe, but look here.

#5 Pille

Pille
  • participating member
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:17 AM

Just wondering if you have any good ideas on how to use up misc. cake crumbs and also crumbs made from baked crushed biscotti cookies?

Do you think cake crumbs could be recycled back into a cake instead of some of the flour for example?

View Post

The Finns make Runeberg's cupcakes, which use cookie and cake crumbs in the batter. Found an English recipe here:Recipe for Runebergin tortut

#6 sugarbuzz

sugarbuzz
  • participating member
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:35 AM

I would use the cake crumbs for finishing the sides of chocolate cakes..especially if I couldn't get the sides smooth. It looks nice on a glazed cake as well.

#7 Rehovot

Rehovot
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:44 AM

They're also good if you whiz them finely in a processor/grinder and then sprinke on top of cheesecake.

#8 sanrensho

sanrensho
  • participating member
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:30 AM

No suggestion on the cookie crumbs, but I've taken cake scraps and placed them between layers of flavored whipped cream in glasses. It turns out much like a tiramisu if you're using a very light cake. (EDITED TO ADD) I suppose this isn't helpful for a pro application like yours (doh).

Edited by sanrensho, 05 March 2006 - 11:33 AM.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

#9 bluechefk

bluechefk
  • participating member
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:08 PM

i save all of my scraps - toast them, sieve them down to fine crumbs, and then store in the freezer. they're useful in all kinds of ways - decorate sides of cakes or tops of cupcakes; mix with butter for cheesecake crust; sprinkle on tart or pie shells before adding filling, to soak up some of the excess moisture - can also use them in strudels this way; mix w/butter and bake on a sheet pan until crisp, then break up & use as crunchy bits in mousses or ice creams. when i find myself with just waaaay too many crumbs in the freezer, i make a batch of hermits from an old recipe i have - don't have that handy at the moment, but if you like, i can look it up & post it.

and of course, i use the most delectable cake scraps as Decoy Dessert - keeps the line cooks & wait staff from nibbling on my finished desserts :laugh:

#10 Wendy DeBord

Wendy DeBord
  • legacy participant
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:21 PM

A bakery I worked at used cake scraps in their streusel.

There is a book published on this topic, I saw it at that bakery. But I don't know who published it or when. You could probably find it with a search.

I use cake crumbs in my studel or in sweet items that call for bread crumbs. (oops I see that was already mentioned)

But if your a busy bakery theres just no way to really keep using up all your scrapes......... Maybe it's better to focus on making less waste. Baking more level cakes.

#11 pastrymama

pastrymama
  • participating member
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:39 PM

here is a link with several recipes using cake crumbs or pieces.

http://www.earlenesc...rumbRecipes.htm
check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

#12 SweetSide

SweetSide
  • participating member
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:17 PM

I'm here to show my ignorance... But, I'm new at this professional stuff, and here is where I go to learn, and learn I need to do!

I'm looking for saleable ways of using cake scraps for my bakery.

Now, I've heard of cake balls, but have never made one and would love to have some recipes for them.

I currently dry some scraps for crumbs for trim and garnish, but other than that, I'm throwing money in the trash.

Thoughts, ideas, recipes -- for cake balls or any other things you do.

Thanks eG'ers!
Cheryl, The Sweet Side

#13 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:29 PM

In addition to using the ground, dried scraps for garnish, use them for the basis of your cheesecake crusts instead of crumbled oreos - or at least it will stretch them.

The caterer I share with will sometimes use my scraps to make trifles; you could do the same with yours and sell individual cups of trifle (use a plastic cup with a lid for portability in individual servings). Or some sort of a riff on tiramisu using the cake layers instead of biscuit.

If you make tarts, maybe you can get a thin sheet of cake to use as a layer between pastry cream and a fruit topping (RLB uses this technique in her Pie and Pastry book).

I don't have the book at home, but Bo Friberg's book has a recipe for Rum Balls, which is a use for scraps.

And when I really have a busy week, sometimes we make hotel pans of trifle and bring them to the local homeless shelter or day care center.

#14 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:17 PM

How about making " bread crumbs" out of them and adding sweet spices and dipping fruit in egg and "breading" it and deep frying it and serving it with ice cream...
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#15 SweetSide

SweetSide
  • participating member
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:34 PM

Thanks JeanneCake -- I have Bo's book and will look that up! Cheesecake crusts I do already (didn't mention that one). Portable trifles also sound good.

Thanks GlorifiedRice, that also sounds good, but read on in the next paragraph...

For others with ideas, I should add that this is a bakery setting, where I need to be able to put the items in either a cold or dry case. So things like the deep fried fruit with ice cream won't work for my particular situation.
Cheryl, The Sweet Side

#16 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:38 PM

bear claw filling or danish filling...you can add the cake scraps to almond paste and some pastry cream and make the filling. also in bo's book.

#17 David802

David802
  • participating member
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:38 PM

At work, we have a "sample table" and just put them on there, it sells alot of cake...when we started doing it....are Cakes sales nearly trippled....thats just my thoughts....I guess its still throughing money in the trash, but differently..And in a way that may make some money back.

#18 emsny

emsny
  • participating member
  • 526 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:04 PM

When I was a kid, New York bakeries (especially Jewish ones, I think) commonly sold something called nut cake. It used lots of cake crumbs to form the layers, along with some sort of batter to hold them together as well as ground nuts - maybe nut paste as well. Between the layers was jam. I don't have a recipe, but I'm sure Googling would get you one in short order. A delicious thing. I ran across some about ten years ago and still loved it, so my impression of its deliciousness is not just nostalgia.

#19 Chihiran

Chihiran
  • participating member
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

SweetSide, a lot of the Hungarian/Austrian cake recipes in the book Kaffeehaus use cake crumbs in the actual batter, or to line the cake pans instead of flour. I've never tried it, because I never have cake crumbs, but it might be convenient for you.

#20 shaloop

shaloop
  • participating member
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:05 PM

SweetSide, a lot of the Hungarian/Austrian cake recipes in the book Kaffeehaus use cake crumbs in the actual batter, or to line the cake pans instead of flour. I've never tried it, because I never have cake crumbs, but it might be convenient for you.

View Post

Similarly, Maida Heatter suggests using crumbs to prepare a cake pan after greasing instead of flour. Also, I've seen recipes for cake crumb cookies.
Here are some recipes. cake crumb recipes

#21 s_sevilla

s_sevilla
  • participating member
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:37 AM

semifreddo

Kitty litter cake (couldn't resist)

#22 SweetSide

SweetSide
  • participating member
  • 513 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:34 AM

When I was a kid, New York bakeries (especially Jewish ones, I think) commonly sold something called nut cake. It used lots of cake crumbs to form the layers, along with some sort of batter to hold them together as well as ground nuts - maybe nut paste as well. Between the layers was jam. I don't have a recipe, but I'm sure Googling would get you one in short order. A delicious thing. I ran across some about ten years ago and still loved it, so my impression of its deliciousness is not just nostalgia.

View Post

I'll have to look this one up for sure -- I remember coming across something like this a while ago, but I was not in the "cake crumb business" then. Thanks!
Cheryl, The Sweet Side

#23 SweetSide

SweetSide
  • participating member
  • 513 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:36 AM

At work, we have a "sample table" and just put them on there, it sells alot of cake...when we started doing it....are Cakes sales nearly trippled....thats just my thoughts....I guess its still throughing money in the trash, but differently..And in a way that may make some money back.

View Post

This we do, when the cake is of a manageable size to sample, and yes, the money does come back for sure. Thanks!
Cheryl, The Sweet Side

#24 McAuliflower

McAuliflower
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:53 AM

At Mom's bakery, they would put all cake trimmings into a bucket, pour rum or other such liquid flavoring on top of it all to make it damp enough to hold together into a ball when rolled. Then the balls get dipped in chocolate and sometimes rolled in nuts.

Kind of like hush puppies ... toss them into people's mouths to hush them up. Us kids got them when we visited. :)

They would often vary in flavor- raspberry's sometimes used as the liquid, coffee, etc.
"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch." --JB
Brownie Points- Culinary Notebook

#25 Kayakado

Kayakado
  • participating member
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:04 AM

this website has recipes for cake balls, one of my cookbooks calls them cake truffles.

www.cakecentral.com

#26 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:42 AM

If you have Flo Braker's Sweet Miniatures, there's a recipe for a cake that uses cake scraps. I think it's the Punsch torte, but I don't have the book and can't be sure.
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#27 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:03 PM

If you have Flo Braker's Sweet Miniatures, there's a recipe for a cake that uses cake scraps. I think it's the Punsch torte, but I don't have the book and can't be sure.

View Post

Punschtorte does indeed use cake scraps. It's a delcious, traditional Viennese torte with flavorings of rum, orange and lemon. It typicallly has a pink covering--marzipan, fondant or icing. Some recipes also incorporate ground walnuts.

There is also a recipe for this in Rick Rodger's Kaffehaus. Here is a link to a photo: click
"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

#28 GTO

GTO
  • participating member
  • 593 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:16 PM

I have no idea how it would work but I'm seeing "cake milkshakes"

Possibly by grinding leftovers down into something really fine and gradually blending with milk.

Failing that, how about cake ice-cream? I mean, brown bread ice cream is quite popular.
Please take a quick look at my stuff.
Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

#29 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:58 PM

At Mom's bakery, they would put all cake trimmings into a bucket, pour rum or other such liquid flavoring on top of it all to make it damp enough to hold together into a ball when rolled.  Then the balls get dipped in chocolate and sometimes rolled in nuts.

Kind of like hush puppies ... toss them into people's mouths to hush them up.  Us kids got them when we visited. :)

They would often vary in flavor- raspberry's sometimes used as the liquid, coffee, etc.

View Post

Interesting to think about riffs on traditional rum balls-- ground almonds and limoncello, ground almonds and triple sec, bourbon and pecans, hazelnuts and chocolate. coated or non-coated. If coating one could use different ideas here as well--caramel frosting for pecan balls, lemon icing, white chocolate. One could tuck a piece of fruit like a cherry or a piece of pineapple inside or a piece of marzipan or ganache. Spice flavors... A nice holiday 'cake truffle' could be to add chopped dried fruit to the cake crumbs and make a type of fruitcake ball; fill with a button of marzipan, soak or not soak in rum or bourbon.
"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

#30 DanaG

DanaG
  • participating member
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:12 PM

I have about two cups of chocolate cake crumbs leftover from a baking project. Any ideas for what I should do with them?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert