Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

"Au Pied de Cochon"...the book

Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 bigwino

bigwino
  • participating member
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:54 AM

FYI, it's backordered at Archambault. My order's been in since late November. I emailed them the other day asking about an expected date of restocking, but haven't yet heard back. If I hear from them, I'll post the reply here.

#32 bigwino

bigwino
  • participating member
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:34 AM

I heard back from Archambault. They're expecting a new shipment from their supplier in 2 - 3 weeks.

#33 Mallet

Mallet
  • participating member
  • 875 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:29 AM

The French version is still in stock, however (and comes with the comic book).
Martin Mallet
<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

#34 MargyB

MargyB
  • participating member
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:11 PM

I ordered a copy from the Archambault site about 2 weeks ago and received the book here in California last Thursday! It's quite an amazing book. I haven't watched the DVD yet though. I don't think my vegan daughter would quite appreciate the artwork & photos though!

Margy

#35 Mallet

Mallet
  • participating member
  • 875 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:28 AM

I got my copy yesterday and love it! The DVD is really cool, especially the recipe section. I wish they could make a cooking show like that.
Martin Mallet

www.malletoyster.com

#36 bulevich

bulevich
  • participating member
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 03:19 PM

Just received mine today. Really an amazing package. I'm going to watch the dvd tonight and try some of the recipes this weekend if I can get my hands on some good venison or foie gras.

My book came from archambault.ca so I assume they are back in stock.

#37 rcianci

rcianci
  • participating member
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:34 PM

I see from this link, Florida Film, Food, and Wine Celebration, that Picard is in the States promoting the book.

Does anyone know his itinerary?

Also I now see the book listed on Border's and Amazon's websites. However, when I click through the details page, it says the book is currently unavailable.

Edited by rcianci, 27 March 2007 - 08:48 PM.

#38 Shinboners

Shinboners
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 806 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:35 AM

I ordered my copy from the restaurant over 2 months ago, but I still haven't received it.....surely it doesn't take that long for packages to get from Canada to Australia.

However, before I send them an e-mail to chase up on the order, I need a question answered. I took a look at the website again....does the book come in a wooden box?
Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

#39 insomniac

insomniac
  • participating member
  • 786 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:14 AM

Daniel, take a peek at the Porky Books in the UK thread on the UK/Ireland site

#40 Mallet

Mallet
  • participating member
  • 875 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:38 AM

I ordered my copy from the restaurant over 2 months ago, but I still haven't received it.....surely it doesn't take that long for packages to get from Canada to Australia. 

However, before I send them an e-mail to chase up on the order, I need a question answered.  I took a look at the website again....does the book come in a wooden box?

View Post

No that's just the cover :biggrin:
Martin Mallet

www.malletoyster.com

#41 Peter Green

Peter Green
  • participating member
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:18 AM

I'm torn over buying the French version for the band desinee, or the English version for Bourdain's intro.

Does anyone know if they swear creatively in the comic? That'd tilt the balance in favour of the French.

#42 Shinboners

Shinboners
  • 806 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:24 PM

Daniel, take a peek at the Porky Books in the UK thread on the UK/Ireland site

View Post

5 months from Canada to the UK? How long will it take from Canada to Australia then.....I guess I might get my book in time for Christmas. :hmmm:

#43 Shinboners

Shinboners
  • 806 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:25 PM

However, before I send them an e-mail to chase up on the order, I need a question answered.  I took a look at the website again....does the book come in a wooden box?

View Post

No that's just the cover :biggrin:

View Post

Ah ha! Well, at least I know Australian customs won't destroy or fumigate the book then (we've got some strict laws on the importation of wood products).

Thanks for answering my question.

#44 Shinboners

Shinboners
  • 806 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:22 PM

Ah, my copy arrived today. :cool:

#45 Fugu

Fugu
  • participating member
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 03:32 PM

Any more reviews from the owners of this book? I took a look at this book at Chapters but they were all wrapped in plastic.

#46 edsel

edsel
  • participating member
  • 984 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 03:52 PM

Any more reviews from the owners of this book? I took a look at this book at Chapters but they were all wrapped in plastic.

View Post

I bought the English edition weeks ago, but have barely had time to thumb through it. The recipes are fun (their mashed potatoes call for fresh cheese curds :laugh: ) and there are plenty of fun little stories.

They have a great attitude about the food they prepare, respecting the animals in particular. Visits to farms, witness to the slaughter, all of that. I know that some people are grossed out by images of animals being dressed/gutted, but there's a measure of respect given to the the beasts that provide the meat we enjoy. And I don't mean to imply that the book is grim. There's more joy here than anything. They also make an informed and passionate case for humane treatment of livestock. One of the first sections of the book is entitled "Happy Pig". Fun people, great attitude. I'd love to eat at their restaurant.

#47 Fugu

Fugu
  • participating member
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:40 AM

Thanks Edsel, I am picking up a copy tommorow. I am curious about the canned duck that Bordain ate at the restaurant and Picard's foie gras Zampone.

#48 olfatback

olfatback
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 02:28 PM

This is a seriously beautiful, artistic and unique work. Anyone in the states or internationally looked at it?

#49 melicob

melicob
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:53 PM

I'm a little late on the scene - my copy arrived last week and even with the crappy exchange rate with the USD, it's worth every loonie! It's a fun book with interesting recipes that I've never seen anywhere else. I'm quite anxious to get my pig trotter action going! I can only imagine the amount of foie gras and pork I will "have" to consume in my pursuit of a broader culinary repertoire.

#50 mikelbarnz

mikelbarnz
  • participating member
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:49 PM

Apparently, there is a reprint out for $40 and the discount code from page one is still good. $52 dollars with shipping to Texas. Ican't wait.

http://www.archambau...02081738&type=5

#51 Zeemanb

Zeemanb
  • participating member
  • 758 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:46 PM

Glad I saw this thread, it reminded me that I am missing a mandatory addition to my collection.

Did a web search and found the paperback version for $25.00CDN on Amazon.ca. With shipping to Kansas City it came to about $35.00. That's "standard" international shipping.....so hopefully I won't be waiting too long.

#52 budrichard

budrichard
  • participating member
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:43 PM

I have a copy and have used it to make some great dishes. Martin is a crazy man with a mission, which is what one needs to be truly a genius!-Dick

Edited by budrichard, 16 April 2008 - 12:43 PM.

#53 melicob

melicob
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

Thanks budrichard for the tip on using the veal demi-glace for the foie gras sauce (instead of poutine sauce as a base - which is apparently not available in San Francisco). We mixed the demi-glace with cream, egg yolk, and used the rendered foie fat from the Foie Gras Hamburger to make a side of foie gras sauce to put on the PDC Chicken Pie. Oh my, it was amazing! It took a really great homemade pot pie to the next level. The FOIE level. Who knew? Highly highly recommended!

The Chicken Pie with Foie Gras Sauce (OK, it looks kind of gross, but it tasted really, really, really good. Chicken pot pie with foie gras!)
Posted Image

The Foie Gras Hamburger (which contributed its lovely foie fat)
Posted Image

And we were inspired by The Album and Carol at FrenchLaundryAtHome (and pigs and foie gras and cooking outside our comfort zone and the excuse to have friends over for dinner on a weekly basis) and decided to cook every recipe The Album. (We've done 8 so far!) You can read along here if you'd like...

#54 budrichard

budrichard
  • participating member
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:48 AM

One of your blogs looks like you have 'Point' by Raynaud?-Dick

#55 melicob

melicob
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:42 PM

One of your blogs looks like you have 'Point' by Raynaud?-Dick

View Post

Alas, no. Nothing quite so nice in the house. :)

Oh, and the most recent recipe tried was the foie gras poutine. OhMyFoie-ingGosh, was it good. Even with a slightly broken foie sauce!

BTW, does anyone know how to get tallow to melt down more? Mine seemed to render, but not nearly as much as I thought it would. (It became more like cracklin's.) Should I have chopped it up more? Been more patient and cooked over low heat for a while? Just used bacon or duck fat instead? I'm new to tallow and now I have lots of it to play with, so I'd love any tips you might have!

#56 aser

aser
  • participating member
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:56 PM

just so folks are aware, the cheaper paperback version does not come w/ the dvd.

love this book!
"The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those who feel." - Horace Walpole

#57 adey73

adey73
  • participating member
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:29 AM

Yeah love the book, much prefer it over Pork & Sons that I got this week too.

But can anyone name the wild herbs which used with the white asparagus recipe on page 59?
“Do you not find that bacon, sausage, egg, chips, black pudding, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread and a cup of tea; is a meal in itself really?” Hovis Presley.

#58 Magictofu

Magictofu
  • participating member
  • 776 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:58 AM

For those interested, the DVD version of his French TV series, Martin Sur la Route, is now available:

http://www.imavision...,LoadCat-1.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook