Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Eggless Cake Recipes

Dessert

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NoEggs

NoEggs
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:52 PM

Hi everyone!
This is my first post here! I am looking for an eggless cake or cake that uses an egg replacer, such as Ener-G. My son is allergic to eggs, amongst other things, and I really need to find a great cake. It doesn't matter if it is a white or chocolate cake or any other flavor. I just need to find some great recipes! The ones I have tried are a little lacking. Other than the Wacky cake which is pretty tasty.
I am a home baker and not a professional so you may want to keep that in mind. I am also planning on using a Wilton cake pan, if that matters. (does that show just what a novice I am??? :laugh: )
Thanks!!!
Sue

#2 chefpeon

chefpeon
  • participating member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:19 PM

Well, for starters....there's a website called Eggless.com....

#3 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 948 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:25 PM

Normally, I'd recommend the Wacky Cake or Crazy Chocolate Cake. But here are two others you might want to check out - they both had good reviews:

Sweet Autumn Pumpkin Cake
http://www.recipezaar.com/140264

Chocolate Walnut Cranberry Cake
http://www.recipezaar.com/118915
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

#4 Mottmott

Mottmott
  • participating member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:19 PM

Alford & Daguid's Baking at home has a recipe for a banana bread without eggs. I've had better banana breads, but if I couldn't eat eggs, this would be on my to do list. It uses about 3 cups of very ripe bananas as the liquid and yileds 2 loaves.
"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

#5 Swisskaese

Swisskaese
  • legacy participant
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:29 AM

Giorgio Locatelli's daughter has an egg allergy and he invented an eggless chocolate cake for her:

Torta di cioccolata alla Margherita

Edited by Swisskaese, 26 October 2006 - 01:30 AM.

#6 Yasmine Sandhu

Yasmine Sandhu
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:43 AM

I've been experimenting with some eggless cakes recently and found a neat trick online.
You can substitute ground flax seeds made into a paste for your eggs -- obviously not for any sort of rise, but the richness of the flax (oil?) really makes for a good cake.

The ratio that I was working with was something like 1 Tablespoon ground flax with just enough water to make a thick paste equals one egg. I did the whole thing in the blender and then added to my batter. Seriously, it was not bad at all. (And I was working off of a basic butter cake recipe.)

Maybe someone with more expertise could explain what it is about flax seeds that makes a good egg replacement? An added bonus, flax seeds are great for you!

Good Luck!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert