Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Tequila Cocktails

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Dezmanturner

Dezmanturner
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

1 1/2 oz Hornitos Reposado Tequila
1/2 oz Monte Alban Mezcal
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
1/2 oz Luxardo Maraschino
1/2 oz house made brown sugar syrup
1/4 oz blood orange bitters
Shake and serve in a cocktail glass
Garnish with a Luxardo Maraschino Cherry and a pinch of Kosher salt over the top of the cocktail

This is something nice to make for Cinco de Mayo. I featured it at the bar last night for "May the 4th be with you!' and the patrons loved it. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

#62 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

Oaxaca Old Fashioned (Phil Ward): tequila reposado, mezcal, agave syrup, mole bitters. I used this recipe but I don't see why it could not be just built in the glass.

8715404963_50d62250d4_z.jpg

This one packs a punch, especially the first few sips (wow). Then it mellows and you can finally appreciate all the aromas, spice and smoke.

These cool little OF glasses are a find from Kerry - thanks again Kerry!

#63 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,864 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

You're right - little glasses look like normal sized glasses in the pictures.

#64 Darcie B

Darcie B
  • participating member
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

Posting in this forum makes me feel like the dog meme, but I'm forging ahead anyway. I really haven't done anything with tequila except for margaritas, but thought I would venture out. Given the affinity of maraschino and tequila mentioned above I muddled a strawberry, added 1 1/2 oz reposado tequila, 3/4 oz Luxardo maraschino, juice of 1/2 a lime (~3/4 oz) and 1/4 oz of simple and came up with this:

reposado_strawberry_lo.jpg

Maybe needs less acid, but I thought the flavors melded nicely.

• Rafa likes this
Visit my blog: Bakin-n-bacon
eG Foodblog

#65 Base_nz

Base_nz
  • participating member
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:50 AM

a great blanco straight up with a great sangrita ......yummmmmmm!!!

and strange as it sounds this combo im planning on putting on my next menu "jangles" nicely

vanilla infused el jimador tequila

muddled lychee lime, lemon and ginger

agave syrup

shake

dumped into a short top up with ice  rimmed with a sugar salt vanilla combo....

sounds strange but if you get that balance right its a great sweeter tequila option...the girls at my bar have been going mad for it lately and good feedback from majority who have tried it ...

#66 blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin
  • participating member
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

The local paper informs me that today is National Tequila Day.

While the flavors seem more appropriate to cooler autumn weather, my sage is growing by leaps and bounds so the other day, I warmed up for the event with a Tequila and Sage Smash and enjoyed it very much.  The "spanked sage bouquet" garnish cracks me up but I spanked it well indeed.

This evening, I am enjoying the Margara version posted by tanstaafl2 subbing Bittermans Xocolatl mole bitters for Angostura orange bitters. Very nice.

#67 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

I have to say I've grown very fond of a Brave Bull as a simple drink with a fair bit going on in the flavours playing off each other.  A good winter drink that I think you could order at most bars without them screwing it up too badly (or that I can make after a hard day without screwing up).  My preferred ratio is 2:1 tequila to Tia Maria built on the rocks.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#68 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

I'm quite fond of the Long Blonde Bomber, which is a shot of gold tequila dropped into a tall flute half-full of champagne.....

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#69 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 739 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

No Mientas

2oz Gran Centenario reposado tequila

2oz grape juice

1/2oz lime juice

7 basil leaves

2 bsp citrus bitters

3 drops Angostura bitters

Garnish - basil leaves

Muddle basil, shake, strain over ice

006 (480x640).jpg

Edited by Plantes Vertes, 27 July 2013 - 06:49 PM.

• Rafa likes this

#70 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

This one was crazy good. The Crafty and Elusive Elk (Daniel Warrilow from Son of a Gun, one of my favorite restaurants in LA): tequila, mezcal, maraschino, falernum, lime juice, orange bitters. Very improbable combo but the ingredients just clicked together, and it was delicious.

11332754016_b1215b92fd_z.jpg

• haresfur and Rafa like this