Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Tequila Cocktails

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 11,110 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:49 PM

Okay, but what I'm wondering is why you're setting up a big list of drinks with only one alcohol ingredient. Is there some taste-based reason? Economic? Philosophical?

I ask because, while there are a number of good and complex one-spirit drinks (the Jack Rose comes to mind), limiting yourself to one alcholic ingredient only is... well... very limiting.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#32 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:55 PM

The Chimayo Cocktail uses cassis but one might be able to substitute a black currant syrup like the ones from D'Arbo. (I haven't made subbed it for this drink but have used it in some other applications where Cassis was called for.)

Chimayo Cocktail
"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

#33 Danne

Danne
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:03 PM

Actually I just want to find out what drinks I can make, so you can say that it's a test and philosophical reason.
I think it's really fun but now I'm stuck on tequila. :sad:

#34 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • participating member
  • 922 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:27 AM

There is the Sugar plumb. THANK YOU M&H

Tequila, Pomagranete molassas, lime, dash of simple.

I just came up with one that is;

2.0 oz. tequila
.75 oz. simple
.75 oz.lime

And then take chipotle, tomato juice, black pepper.

Shake first three. Strain into a glass that has a pool of last three at the bottom. Garnish with a sugar coated lime.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

#35 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,627 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:41 PM

Been fiddling a bit with this variation on the "Margarita Castaneda," which now has a bit more kick to it:

3 oz añejo tequila (Sauza Commemorativo)
1 oz lime juice
1 oz grapefruit juice
1/2 oz Cointreau
1/2 oz grenadine
pinch salt
pinch roasted Thai chile pepper
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#36 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:34 PM

i made a drink called the La Mojada (female conjugation of the wetness)....and its made with my "tequila por mi amante" which is an aphrodesiac flower infused anejo....creole shrub....juice of a lime....

the tequila has enough agave nectar in it to balance out the rest of the lime juice after the shrub.....

the aphrodesiac flowers give the anejo a chamomile like quality over tropical fruit like notes in the particular anejo....

the placebo effect in people is very strong so the drink has a cult following but i've gotten bored with it and need to reinvent it....

those apple ideas are brilliant because they may pair well with the chamomile like qualities....

so what can you do with tequila and herbs? someone mentioned basil earlier...

i wonder if i could get away with a grapefruit sour and a spoonful of creme de cocoa then hope for magic.....off to the lab....
abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#37 slobhan

slobhan
  • participating member
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:23 PM

Mmmmm, tequila! I feel like so many people in the US are introduced to it under horrible circumstances—bad tequila in bad margaritas.

I visited Encanto, the new New Mexican restaurant in my neighborhood, this past Saturday and was treated to two delicious tequila cocktails:

The Tangerine Shot - Herradurra Reposado with fresh tangerine juice. Smooth and a little sweet.

El Dorado - Sauza Hornitos tequila, muddled lemon and honey. Refreshing!

I can't wait until they open their deck for the summer and I can enjoy these cocktails outside on their patio.

For those interested, the newly published March/April issue of Imbibe has a feature on tequila by Senior Editor Kate Darling, here's a link to the piece online, but the print edition has tasting notes and recipes:
http://www.imbibemag...com/feat_2.html
my motto: taste, savor, share
circulation manager, imbibe magazine
celebrate the world in a glass

#38 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:40 PM

Had my first couple of Diablos this evening. Very tasty beverage! The tequila and cassis play well together. This might be my new fave warm weather tequila delivery system.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#39 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,627 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:39 PM

Wow.... Three years and nothing going on. Here are a few thoughts to make up for lost time.

I have really enjoyed the Prado, a Stan Jones drink which Paul Clarke wrote about a few years back:

1 1/2 oz tequila
3/4 oz lime
1/2 oz Maraschino
1/2 egg white

I've made and enjoyed that a few times, and tonight I started wondering what would happen if you crossed a Prado with jmfangio's Marguerita and started tinkering. Given the flowery nose, here's the working title:

Flor de Agave Azul

1 1/2 oz blanco tequila (I'm using up Patron and eager to get Chinaco)
3/4 oz lime
1/2 oz St. Germain
dash Fee's orange
scant 1/2 oz simple
small egg white (or two drinks with a large egg white)

Hard shake; shake again with lots of ice; strain. Orange twist -- or try 2-3 drops of orange flower water.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#40 Kohai

Kohai
  • participating member
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:45 PM

This works pretty well for a light, summery drink.

1.5 oz. blanco tequila
1.5 oz. Noilly Prat Dry (skant)
.5 oz lemon
.5 oz simple
3 thick slices cucumber

In a shaker, muddle cucumber into vermouth. Add remaining ingredients and ice, shake and double-strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish somehow.

Don't have a name yet. I'm tired of naming drinks after Mexican stuff just because they use tequila. I half-seriously want to call it the Snozzcumber, after the ubiquitous vegetable in Roald Dahl's The BFG. But no one would ever order it.

Edited by Kohai, 14 March 2010 - 09:46 PM.

Pip Hanson | Marvel Bar

#41 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 995 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:59 AM

I made this up to bring to my quarterly "foodies" dinner, this particular one Mexican. The international ingredients aren't exactly authentic, but it was a big hit (except for one wrinkled nose that wouldn't try a bitter-tinged cocktail).

Quatro Naranjas (Four Oranges)
1 oz Tequila, Anejo
2/3 oz Aperol
1/3 oz Campari
1/3 oz Creole Shrubb
2/3 oz Lime
1 dash Angostura Orange
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#42 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:54 AM

My Spanish isn't what I'd like it to be, but shouldn't this be 'Quatras Naranjas'? Can anybody confirm or deny?
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#43 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 949 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:15 AM

My Spanish isn't what I'd like it to be, but shouldn't this be 'Quatras Naranjas'? Can anybody confirm or deny?

I believe it should be Cuatro Naranjas...unless the interlingua 'quatro' was intentional based on the various ingredient sources. Four is not an adjective, thus making it feminine would not be appropriate.
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#44 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:58 AM

I believe it should be Cuatro Naranjas...unless the interlingua 'quatro' was intentional based on the various ingredient sources. Four is not an adjective, thus making it feminine would not be appropriate.

Er...cuatro, right. Too early in the morning to be bilingual.

Used in a sentence (eg, There are four oranges) it could be an adjective, no? (Hay cuatras naranjas).

Hmm...google translator goes both ways. Guess I should have studied more in that class, then I would know for sure.

Looks like a good drink at any rate.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#45 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 949 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:53 AM

Er...cuatro, right. Too early in the morning to be bilingual.

Used in a sentence (eg, There are four oranges) it could be an adjective, no? (Hay cuatras naranjas).

Hmm...google translator goes both ways. Guess I should have studied more in that class, then I would know for sure.

Looks like a good drink at any rate.

It's been a long time since I studied, but I'm pretty sure numbers doesn't get altered like adjectives (except the number one, to the extent it is also the indefinite article). You'd say, "Yo tengo cuatro naranjas pequeñas." (I have four small oranges.) Or, "Yo tengo una naranja pequeña" (I have a/one small orange.)

Yes, the drink does sound tasty.
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#46 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:46 PM

Had my first couple of Diablos this evening. Very tasty beverage! The tequila and cassis play well together. This might be my new fave warm weather tequila delivery system.

I love Diablos. If we're including highballs in this thread, a similar drink that I go back to often is the Rosarita Highball, one of Dale DeGroff's originals:
1 1/2 oz tequila
1/2 oz cassis
1/4 oz lime juice
4 oz ginger ale
Cucumber slice for garnish
Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#47 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 995 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:44 PM

I stand qorrected.

Edited by EvergreenDan, 15 March 2010 - 07:45 PM.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#48 Paulo Freitas

Paulo Freitas
  • participating member
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:56 PM

Tequila is by far my favorite spirit!!

I've been messing around with a new recipe but i think it's good enough for now. No name for it yet though

1 1/2 oz Don Julio Blanco
3/4 Cranberry Juice
1/2 Lime Juice
1 tspn Campari
2 tspn Homemade Grenadine

Shake and strain in a chilled cocktail glass
Paulo Freitas
Bartender @ Bar do Copa (Copacabana Palace, Rio de Janeiro - Brazil)
http://www.bardocopa.com.br

#49 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,627 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:42 AM

Reading the tart profile of Paulo's drink reminded me of an order I got the other day from a customer who wanted 2 oz blanco tequila, the juice of half a lime, rocks. "No simple?" "Nope." "No triple sec?" "Nope."

I convinced him to let me muddle the lime in pieces and double strain the result over fresh ice. Turned out to be a bracing but surprisingly tasty drink, not balanced in a classical sense but in the direction (to use bostonapothecary's concept) a palate-cleansing, uber-dry Caipirinha.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#50 jparrott

jparrott
  • participating member
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:52 AM

This pretty much works for every base spirit, but I like it particularly with a dryish reposado. Not my drink, for sure. I think the method was first introduced to me (in reverse style) by Phil Ward with his chamomile-infused rye.

1.5oz tequila
1oz blanc/bianco vermouth
.5oz lemon
.5oz 1:1 simple (or slightly less)

Shake and strain into a highball glass with ice and top with soda.
Jake Parrott
Ledroit Brands, LLC
Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

#51 kalypso

kalypso
  • participating member
  • 721 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

I like tequila, it plays well with most fruit juices, especially tropical ones. Try a margarita with some coconut and up the lime a bit; a delicious take on the pina colada. Guava is another great match for tequila.

A couple of tequila based drinks I haven't seen mentioned yet - though they are similar to, or variations of, previous posts - are the Chico and the Oaxaca Old Fashioned. Sauver magazine ran the Chico in their Texas issue last year.

CHICO
2 oz Tequila (silver)
2 oz Blackberry liqueur
1 oz simple syrup
1/2 oz lemon juice
Club soda to finish
Served over ice during the summer, it is refreshing

Oaxaca Old Fashioned
1 1/2 oz Reposada
1/2 oz Mezcal (Del Maguey or Los Danzantes)
1 teaspoon agave nectar
Dash of bitters - preferably Bitterman's Xocolatl Mole bitters (which also goes pretty well in a standard Manhattan)
Shake together, serve up or on the rocks (rocks is my preference for this drink)

Switch out the vodka in a Bloody Mary for tequila and the drink becomes a Bloody Maria. (Use Snap-e-Tom in place of Bloody Mary mix if desired)

Tequila is also a pretty easy spirit to infuse. Think a little out of the box, though. Wipe off 6-10 whole, unstemmed, chile de arbols and add them to a new bottle of tequila. Let sit for at least 3 days but not more than 5 in the preverbial cool, dark place. Strain out the chiles and use tequila as you normally would. It'll have a nice kick to it without being over powering. Leaving the chiles in longer than about 5 days results in a firey tequila but some bitter overtones.

I make my 90 year old mother a margarita every Saturday...and sometimes on Sunday as well :cool: I've been doing this almost weekly for the last 2 or 3 years pretty regularly, which means I've been going through a lot of tequila. My mom loves my maggies and still has a pretty acute sense of taste, but her decernment for good tequila isn't very keen and these cocktails were costing me a lot of $$$ to keep tequila in the house. I'd heard about a tequila that supposedly tasted like it's upmarket cousins, but was very inexpensive. Figuring I had nothing to loose I gave it a go. I have to say, I was more than pleasantly surprised. For (basically) cheap tequila it made a fine margarita. Lunazul comes in both blanco and reposado and costs $17.99. It's not always that easy to find, but BevMo here on the West Coast always seems to have it. For everyday drinks and consumption it's a pretty decent and affordable alternative.

#52 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:48 AM

False Alibi.jpg

New on the cocktail list at Oyster House - the False Alibi, named for the L'Alibi aperitif that is part of the recipe. Kind of like a more elegant smoky margarita. L'Alibi is like Lillet, but with a bitter quinine finish. Cocchi Americano would stand in nicely for this. This drink was really a group effort. Probably the only cocktail ever created by committee that came out this tasty.

2 oz. Siembra Azul Reposado
.5 oz. L'Alibi (or Cocchi Americano)
.75 oz. fresh lime juice
.5 oz. agave nectar
Laphroaig single malt in an atomizer
Large strip grapefruit peel

Mix tequila, L'Alibi, lime juice and agave nectar together in an iced shaker and shake vigorously. Spray a chilled cocktail glass with 2 spritzes of scotch to coat the inner surface. Strain drink into glass and squeeze grapefruit peel above drink and garnish.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#53 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:45 PM

We've been enjoying a Corpse Reviver type thing lately; equal parts Blanco Tequila, Dolin Blanc, lime, and Cointreau with two drops of absinthe (Lucid at work). Unlike the CR#2 it doesn't obscure the spirit, but mutes it to a nice accent.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#54 philadining

philadining
  • participating member
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:00 PM

(That False Alibi at the Oyster House is quite tasty...)

The folks at The Franklin in Philly have been making me variations on Phil Ward's Silver Monk lately, and I suspect it's going to be my summer go-to drink.

The basic one is:

2oz Blanco Tequila
3/4 simple
3/4 Yellow Chartreuse
Juice of one lime
Pinch of Salt

Shaken, served with one big rock, garnished with cucumber, and a sprig of mint.

Somehow, bartender Nick Jarret recently slipped some Gilka Kaiser Kummel in there, and it was very nice, but I have no idea about proportions, or if he pulled something else back...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

#55 Kohai

Kohai
  • participating member
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:02 AM

This has been received pretty well for the spring.

Sister Tristessa
1.5 oz. Herradura Silver
1.5 oz. Noilly Pratt dry vermouth (scant)
.5 oz. lemon
.5 oz. 2:1 simple syrup
4 cucumber slices

Muddle cucumber well at the bottom of a shaker. Add everything else and shake. Double-strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with thin floating cucumber wheel.

Everything hangs together pretty nicely.
Pip Hanson | Marvel Bar

#56 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

Lots of tasty-looking drinks on this thread.

Last night I made this simple variation on a Caipirinha but with tequila instead of cachaça, the Caipirita (tequila, lime, brown sugar cube, simple syrup). I used limes from Schaner Farms that were extremely fragrant - the oils from the peel scented the whole kitchen with the most intoxicating fragrance!

Posted Image

#57 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Here is a weird tequila cocktail. Michael Madrusan's Sea Way with tequila blanco, cherry liqueur, Islay scotch, orange bitters. Tequila and Islay scotch should not work together but somehow the cherry liqueur manages to bridge the gap between the two.

Posted Image

#58 Keith Orr

Keith Orr
  • participating member
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

I've had some tequila cocktails with some smoky mezcal added in that were quite pleasing so I guess it doesn't surprise me that this one works.

I'm not much of a smoky, peaty scotch drinker, but I think I need to have a bottle on hand for things like this.

I wish I could get my hands on a bottle of the Sangue Morlacco. I'm a fan of the Luxardo line of booze.

#59 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

Viva Villa with tequila blanco, lime juice, and simple syrup. It can be described as a tequila daiquiri, which is a delicious way to showcase the vegetal notes of the Siete Leguas. A very nice alternative to a margarita.

8534931191_d704db8b2d_z.jpg

#60 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

I've had some tequila cocktails with some smoky mezcal added in that were quite pleasing so I guess it doesn't surprise me that this one works.

You are right; I did not look at it this way but it makes perfect sense now!