Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Dealing with severe food allergies and sensitivities

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 sugarhill

sugarhill
  • participating member
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:14 PM

how do i make anything, ie a birthday treat with [out] that? so many butter alternatives have either dairy or soy additives... what's a girl to do?

a thought was some type of fresh fruit tart... the mom said maybe an apple tart... which immediately got me thinking about frangipane... but that requires egg.

any suggestions???

#2 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 948 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:32 PM

This is supposed to be excellent, although I haven't personally tried it. It was developed during WWII when eggs, milk, butter, etc. were rationed, and was called Wacky Cake or Crazy Cake. You can frost it with a Chocolate Water Glaze using bittersweet chocolate or with a glaze/icing of Dutched cocoa, confectioner's sugar, boiling water, and a little vanilla extract.

Crazy Chocolate Cake
http://www.recipezaar.com/53524

Chocolate Water Glaze (Susan Purdy)
http://www.recipezaar.com/89594

Edited by merstar, 05 June 2006 - 01:13 AM.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

#3 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:18 AM

Try this delicious sesame cake.

#4 Darcie B

Darcie B
  • participating member
  • 610 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:37 AM

How about a fruit crisp? Use shortening instead of butter for the streusel topping. I did this for a friend who is allergic to dairy and soy and she really liked it. You could serve it with cool whip. I try to make a special dessert for this friend when she comes over and it really challenges my creativity, since I'm a real butter fiend.

Last time she was over I made a mango sorbet. It was excellent. You could serve that with a crisp cookie of some sort, like a spiced shortbread made with shortening. Using spices partially makes up for the lack of butter flavor and it would add an extra texture dimension with the crispness. Good luck!
Visit my blog: Bakin-n-bacon
eG Foodblog

#5 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:21 AM

Chef Sato's Chocolate Raspberry cake meets your criteria and is festive and delicious. The recipe calls for soy milk but I strongly suspect you could substitute rice milk or almond milk. It's too long to list the entire recipe here, but if you like I can fax it to you. Just let me know via PM.
Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#6 rjwong

rjwong
  • participating member
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:29 AM

Is using coconut milk okay?
Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

#7 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:09 AM

This is supposed to be excellent, although I haven't personally tried it. It was developed during WWII when eggs, milk, butter, etc. were rationed, and was called Wacky Cake or Crazy Cake.  You can frost it with a Chocolate Water Glaze using bittersweet chocolate or with a glaze/icing of Dutched cocoa, confectioner's sugar, boiling water, and a little vanilla extract.

Crazy Chocolate Cake

View Post

I know it may look like this cake would just make a chocolate flavored hockey puck, most variations produce a very moist cake with great texture. Make sure you use enough cocoa and maybe boost the flavor with a bit of espresso powder. It keeps very well and the flavor is actually better the second day.

#8 tsquare

tsquare
  • participating member
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:49 AM

This is supposed to be excellent, although I haven't personally tried it. It was developed during WWII when eggs, milk, butter, etc. were rationed, and was called Wacky Cake or Crazy Cake.  You can frost it with a Chocolate Water Glaze using bittersweet chocolate or with a glaze/icing of Dutched cocoa, confectioner's sugar, boiling water, and a little vanilla extract.

Crazy Chocolate Cake

View Post

I know it may look like this cake would just make a chocolate flavored hockey puck, most variations produce a very moist cake with great texture. Make sure you use enough cocoa and maybe boost the flavor with a bit of espresso powder. It keeps very well and the flavor is actually better the second day.

View Post

Yup, these cakes are pretty tasty. We used to make and sell them in a college coffee house in the mid 70's. The carob version was even okay. A german chocolate type frosting is nice too. Can those be done without butter?

#9 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,840 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:29 PM

This may be completely not what you're looking for - but what about something like an ice cream cake - using fruit sorbet instead. You could make a crust, or layers using almonds/hazelnuts or a cookie base (kosher for Passover parve margarine is dairy/soy free) and make some sorbet with fresh fruit.

Good luck!

#10 Eden

Eden
  • participating member
  • 959 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:33 PM

for a birthday cake I second the War-era cake reccomendation. It's great!

For more general snacks I make Eggless Ginger Cookies or Eggless Oatmeal cookies. you can either use a soy-free crisco like product or shell out the bucks for goat butter if that's an option (Meyerburg? makes one that's pricey, but not at all goaty)

I know it seems daunting at first glance to avoid all those, but it's not that hard - there are a ton of online resources these days to help - and your friends with allergies will really appreciate the effort!
Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

#11 sugarhill

sugarhill
  • participating member
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:49 PM

i guess i should mention that the bday party is for a 3 yr old... so i suspect getting her to eat a sesame cake may be difficult! :) the crisp sounds good, the sorbet with the eggless ginger cookies also sounds interesting especially during the heat of the summer.

shortening can be a tricky thing as most are soy-based. the nut milk may be a viable alternative... may have to check on allergies to that.

thanks... i'll let you know what happens.

#12 beccaboo

beccaboo
  • participating member
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:37 AM

shortening can be a tricky thing as most are soy-based. 

View Post

Spectrum and Earth Balance non-hydrogenated shortenings are made of palm oil, I think. Not soy, anyway.

#13 SweetSide

SweetSide
  • participating member
  • 513 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:14 AM

shortening can be a tricky thing as most are soy-based. 

View Post

Spectrum and Earth Balance non-hydrogenated shortenings are made of palm oil, I think. Not soy, anyway.

View Post

Spectrum is palm oil only. Earth Balance is a combination of oils and includes soy on their ingredient list.
Cheryl, The Sweet Side

#14 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:55 AM

Funny tonight at work I found the recepie for the crazy chocolate cake on one of the newspaper around , I thought was fun , you guys mentioned here and after a couple of days the recepie is on the paper .
Vanessa

#15 Maliaty

Maliaty
  • participating member
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:36 AM

For my 2c, I have a 2 yr old who is v allergic to egg. My creative solution...
jello. He thinks it is v interesting because of the texture and certainly doesn't mind the sugar.

Watch out for commercial sorbets, because some contain egg whites. Definite downer.

Australians have a no-egg cookie - the ANZAC biscuit. Substitute the butter with margarine and you should be right, mate (as we say down under)
http://www.aussiesla...ac-biscuits.asp

I second the cake with no egg approach - one way of dealing with the dryness that I have read about, but not tried (yet) for what it's worth is to add a gelatin mix. I usually add tofu, but that won't work for you.

I say go the jello. It's a 3 yr old. What's not to love!

Cheers
Maliaty

#16 Rebecca263

Rebecca263
  • participating member
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:41 AM

We use fruit instead of fats almost exclusively when we bake. Usually the go to ingredient is applesauce. This makes for a very moist cake, even without eggs.
More Than Salt
Visit Our Cape Coop Blog
Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma
Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

#17 s_sevilla

s_sevilla
  • participating member
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:02 PM

I'm cooking for a person with the following allergies (most will cause severe anaphylactic shock with minimal quantities consumed):

Milk, dairy (anything that might contain casein)
eggs
nuts
shellfish
fish
gluten

Any suggestions for recipes or substitutions that could be used. I'm especially interested if there is a recipe out there for rice bread.

Thanks.

#18 vinelady

vinelady
  • participating member
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:05 PM

I know that more than a few of the Gluten free cookbooks have recipes for bread and for pizza dough. There are also a number on the web.

#19 Torrilin

Torrilin
  • participating member
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:50 PM

Will this be regular cooking or just once in a while?

For once in a while, I'd ask the person what they get served a lot of because it's "easy", and if there's anything that is safe that they don't get to eat often. I'd imagine fruit iced desserts (granitas, sherberts, anything milk free) would be a nice treat. Most sauces are probably seen as off limits, but reductions should be fine. Gluten problems can be a pretty big deal... in some cases they pretty much eliminate all grains from the diet.

Be *very* careful in serving processed foods to this person. Gluten is hidden in many processed foods where you wouldn't expect it. Eggs, seafood and nuts are usually pretty identifiable. Casein is probably hiding in a lot of products one wouldn't expect it in either.

I did find this recipe for gluten free pizza dough. It is *not* safe for the person you're cooking for. Searching for celiac pizza on google brings up a fair number of other results. My internet connection is being wonky and won't let me check most of them tho.

Emily
  • quiet1 likes this

#20 Betts

Betts
  • participating member
  • 418 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

Try http://www.ener-g.com this is a very reputable company. Yes - you can make your own rice bread but I highly recommend buying the company's product if it meets the food profile.

I had a customer similar to yours and she adored these:

OATMEAL COOKIES
4 cups oat flour
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter ( you could use the dairy free margarine)
1 1/3 cups apple juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup quick oats
1 generous cup raisins

Beat sugar and margarine together and then add all the rest of the ingredients. Let stand a half hour. Bake at 350 for 10-13 minutes. Let cool completely before removing from the tray.

Edited by Betts, 30 August 2006 - 07:45 PM.

#21 s_sevilla

s_sevilla
  • participating member
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:08 PM

looks good, I had some problems finding things online that were milk and egg free.

I have some chemicals that could work for sauces.....gums and the like.

I was also thinking of making a mousse or "baked Alaskan" with some carboxymethylcellulose.

We are cooking regularly for this person (every day, 2 meals a day), so it would be nice to be able to branch out. The case is especially difficult because most of these allergies are quite serious. She can't be in the kitchen in someone has the peanut butter jar open, and If I ever cook with peanut oil, she would have to be quarantined from the house because of the aerosolized oil particles. (also means I can't do sautes or sauces with peanut butter or peanuts, which is a bummer cause I love cooking dishes based on peanuts.)

We have been lucky enough to find stores that carry many products specifically for these allergy profiles, but I know I would hate to eat packaged food for any length of time.

Luckily, they are not vegetarian, so any simply marinated meat is good, and there are plenty of alternative grain options (quinoa, spelt??, oats, etc.), but for baked goods I have hit something of a wall.

Edited by s_sevilla, 30 August 2006 - 10:22 PM.

#22 Torrilin

Torrilin
  • participating member
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:53 PM

Stupid question: is it a *nut* allergy or a *peanut* allergy? Both are relatively common, but one means bean dishes are perfectly safe, and the other means bean dishes are potentially dangerous. And if it's just one and not the other, that makes some things safe that I'd been discounting. And if it's both, well, my condolences, because that makes life even more difficult.

IIRC oats contain a small amount of gluten. I'm presuming the problem there is celiac disease, not an anaphylactic allergy. And well, a celiac person generally won't die if they eat a small amount of gluten, but it does affect their long term health in a cumulative way. It's a lot like a diabetic who doesn't monitor their blood sugar closely. Nothing obviously harmful happens, but there's lots of damage that you can't see until it builds up years later.

On the upside, beef fat, duck fat and lard will all work well to give you fat for making treats with gluten free flours. I could see biscuits or popovers made with those fats and water rather than milk, if there's a safe way to give the gluten free flour some structure. And if you can make biscuits, scones aren't far behind :). My chemistry background is just not giving me ideas on how to work around the gluten + casein + egg issues...

Emily

#23 SuzySushi

SuzySushi
  • participating member
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:29 AM

Try GlutenFree.com as a source for gluten-free and egg-free recipes and products. It's fairly easy to get around milk/dairy allergies by substituting soy milk and dairy-free margarine, but is this person also allergic to soy? (Some people with celiac disease are.)

You can also Google "gluten free" + "recipes" and come up with a lot. Many of these do not contain milk/dairy or eggs because of multiple allergies.
SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."
My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

#24 VanessaBerman

VanessaBerman
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:24 AM

There's a great book here in Ireland called 'what to eat when you can't eat anything' written by chupi and (i can't remember her brother's name) sweetman. you should be able to get it on amazon - .co.uk if not .com, or i can send it to you if you are stuck. there are some great recipes for spelt produce. also darina allen who is ireland's culinary queen produced a book a year or 2 ago called healthy gluten-free eating which is brilliant - i have made loads from it even though i am quite happy with gluten, but not dairy or eggs.

coeliac disease is very common here in ireland, something to do with the mix of viking and celt in our genetic makeup, so people are quite aware of it here.

i have to say that i don't find the egg thing a problem, and if you are eating fresh foods the dairy is fine too, just takes getting used to.

like many things it's often a case of a change of mindset and that's the hardest thing in the world to change. good luck with it!

#25 s_sevilla

s_sevilla
  • participating member
  • 186 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:46 PM

thanks for the tips, we are starting to stock up on alternative flours and the such.....I'm trying to approach this as a unique way to broaden the dishes and methods I use in the kitchen. My friend's brother is going to be back in town soon, and he's a fairly accomplished vegan chef, so I will try and get in touch with him about sources for good soy and alternative products. I was looking in some of my ethnic cuisine books, and it looks like there are a few possibilities with Vietnamese cooking that I want to try.

I'll be taking a look at that book. They might even have it in the library collection here.

edit:

I've seen people use ground flaxseed as a substitute for eggs, does anyone have any good guidelines for converting and balancing traditional recipes by using this instead of eggs?

Edited by s_sevilla, 31 August 2006 - 02:50 PM.

#26 Sony

Sony
  • participating member
  • 406 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:59 PM

Hummmm...that's quite a number of allergies, but I'm glad your friend has someone like you to face all the challenges!

Some initial ideas I have are:

Starchy:
-Polenta made with homemade chicken broth, enriched with oilve oil and flavored with fresh herbs
-Potatoes mashed with homemade chicken broth, fresh herbs s&p and enriched with olive oil
(Roasted garlic would probably flavor both of these nicely as well)
-Fragrant rice (jasmine, basmati, etc)- cooked plain or made into pilaf

Meaty:
-Chicken cacciatore
-Chicken curry (those that don't contain cream or butter additions)
-Chicken piccata done without flour coating (thicken sauce with cornstarch if necessary) or butter (enrich sauce with olive oil if necessary)
-Chicken pieces pan roasted with olive oil, wild mushrooms, fresh thyme and rosemary, thin lemon slices and shallots
-Beef stew (brown meat without flour). Thicken sauce with cornstarch after meat and veggies are cooked so cornstarch doesn't lose thickening power
-Lamb chops pan roasted or grilled with olive oil, rosemary and garlic
-Flank steak rubbed with spice mixture (I combine equal parts of salt, brown sugar, garlic, oregano and chili powder or curry powder- sounds weird but tastes good)

I don't think veggies should pose too much of a problem if they're fresh, prepared simply and accented with fresh herbs, garlic and rosemary.

I'm not much of a baker, unfortunately, but I have substituted flaxseed mixture (1 TB milled flaxseed mixed with 3 TB water per egg- allow mixture to sit for 2-3 minutes before using) in quick breads for egg with no ill effects. It did not work as well for me when I used the substitution in pancakes- they never set up right- so I'm not sure if this substitution works for non-baked goods.

Please let me know if you need more specific recipes- I usually just wing it in the kitchen, but just thought I'd throw out some ideas. :smile: Good luck!

#27 MissAmy

MissAmy
  • participating member
  • 508 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:17 PM

Is coconut out? Because if not, you could do some cool things like currys and desserts with that.

What about spelt? When I worked at The Spa, we had a regular client who had wheat allergies, and we made things for her out of spelt flour. We also served her spelt pastas.

I would also go for parsnip and potato purees, sweet potato dishes without butter, nice lean cuts of meat.
-Sounds awfully rich!
-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

#28 s_sevilla

s_sevilla
  • participating member
  • 186 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:09 PM

I walked by a place in our gourmet ghetto that does Soca, a kind of unleavened pizzeta made of chickpea flour. A google recipe turned up this recipe for Stout Soca, but the place that I saw does them in a brick oven, rather than frying. Does anyone have any variations or tips to share about these things?

Here's the Recipe I found:

12 oz. stout
2 cups vegetable stock
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
3 cups chickpea or garbanzo flour (available at Italian or Middle Eastern grocery stores)
Vegetable oil for deep frying
Minced parsley for garnish
1. Oil a 9x12 baking dish and line with parchment or wax paper. Set aside.
2. In a gallon stock pot, simmer stock, stout, salt, pepper and oil. Whisking constantly, stir in a slow stream of the sifted chickpea flour. Whisk till smooth- about 30 seconds to one minute - but do not let it boil.
3. Remove from heat and pour into prepared pan. Use a spatula to spread it evenly. Let cool. When set, place in refrigerator and let chill for at least one hour.
4. Cut around edges and turn the pan upside down onto a cutting board. The easiest way to do this is to place a large cutting board on top of the pan, and holding both in place, flip it onto the counter top, so board is on the bottom.
5. Remove the parchment wrap, and cut the chilled soca into sticks about 1 inch wide and 4.5 inches long. In a large deep fryer, place oil to a depth of four inches. Bring to 375 degrees. Drop in the soca sticks in batches of about 4-5, and fry for 4 minutes, turning once to crisp evenly.
6. Remove with tongs to a platter lined with paper to drain. Serve the stout soca with a garlic aioli - terrific with a strong golden Belgian ale.

#29 rosko

rosko
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:27 AM

This is a bit late in the piece for the OP, but I thought I'd add a comment for others looking in the archives.

Don't serve spelt, Kamut, triticale, oats, etc. to someone who requires gluten free food.

Spelt and kamut are types of wheat, and contain harmful gluten. For what it's worth, many people with wheat allergies also can't tolerate spelt or Kamut.

Triticale is a cross between rye and wheat, and will also contain harmful gluten.

Oats is tricky - technically, oats should be OK for someone who is gluten intolerant. However, nearly all oats is cross-contaminated with wheat or barley, and thus will bring along harmful gluten. Even when special non-contaminated oats is used, a good percentage of sufferers still react to oats, so best to leave them alone.

Obviously, wheat and barley and rye are out, but not so obviously, some derivatives are also out. This is a touchy subject, since some coeliac support groups (notably the UK one) tell you that CODEX wheat starch with < 20ppm gliadin is safe. However, anecdotal evidence shows this not to be true - better safe than sorry, so avoid all derivatives of wheat, barley and rye include malt, starch, modified starch, glucose / dextrose, and maltodextrin.

Further information is available on the Wikipedia page on the gluten-free diet.

#30 jaynesb

jaynesb
  • society donor
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:38 AM

There are many Indian recipes that might work if this is something your friend likes and depending on what spices and seasonings are ok.

For example, a dosa is a type of crepe made from a mixture of rice and urad dal (a kind of bean). These get soaked in water and ground up then left to sit for a while so they ferment. The resulting crepe does not taste bean-y or in any way sour. There are a couple of topics and recipes in the Indian Cooking forum that discuss them.

Another idea might be to look through some of those books for the raw food types. Not that everything would be good because they do tend to use a lot of nuts but you might get some ideas.

jayne