Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What does foie gras taste like?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#31 Lesley C

Lesley C
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:58 PM

There are two companies that produce goose foie gras in Quebec. I spoke with a producer of goose foie gras here in Quebec, and he told m he had a hell of a time mastering the art of "gavage" (force feeding) with the geese, so you might want to think long and hard before giving this a shot.
I've had "foie gras d'oie" here in a terrine (good, but not as flavourful as duck) and hot (terrible, no wonder i've never seen it in France).
Keep in mind when describing the taste of foie gras that there is hot foie gras (seared) and terrine (poached, chilled and sliced), and a few variations in between (raw, salt-cured etc..).
Texture-wise and flavour-wise they are not at all alike. And whatever you do, don't plan on making hot goose foie gras.

Edited by Lesley C, 19 February 2007 - 05:29 PM.