Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Sturdy Orange Curd

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Qui

Qui
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:26 PM

Looking for a tried and true orange curd that will be firm enough to use as a filling for wedding cake. The recipe that I currently have doesn't seem to hold up very well. Maybe I should add some sort to thickener. Gelatin? Cornstarch? Tapioca?
Thanks!

#2 pjm333

pjm333
  • participating member
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:50 AM

Qui,
I use this recipe to glaze lemon mousse cakes, tarts etc. You might have to play with it for a filling but it does hold up well.

1 1/2 cup lemon curd - room temp
2 T lemon juice
1 sheet gelatin or 1 t gelatin
dissolve gelatin in lemon juice and add to curd.

pat

Looking for a tried and true orange curd that will be firm enough to use as a filling for wedding cake. The recipe that I currently have doesn't seem to hold up very well. Maybe I should add some sort to thickener. Gelatin? Cornstarch? Tapioca?
Thanks!

View Post

#3 avid

avid
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:54 AM

i don't think i would ever risk using an unstabilized curd in a wedding cake either, unless it was just a smear on the layer for a flavor accent. you could try adding gelatine to your present recipe just don't over do it or use a cornstarch thickened recipe...which i thought i had...but can't seem to find :unsure: ...it must be at work. well, i'll post it tomorrow. fat lot a good that did ya... :smile:

#4 Qui

Qui
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:56 AM

i don't think i would ever risk using an unstabilized curd in a wedding cake either, unless it was just a smear on the layer for a flavor accent.  you could try adding gelatine to your present recipe just don't over do it or use a cornstarch thickened recipe...which i thought i had...but can't seem to find :unsure: ...it must be at work. well, i'll post it tomorrow. fat lot a good that did ya...  :smile:

View Post

If you could share your recipe, that'd be great...

#5 avid

avid
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:22 PM

try this recipe (Laurent Branlard):

270g .... Orange juice
30g ...... Lemon juice
150g .... Sugar
225g .... Butter
150g .... Sugar
40g ...... Corn starch
300g .... Whole eggs
120g .... Yolks

Boil juices, first amount of sugar and butter.
Combine second amount of sugar with remaining ingredients.
Temper these two mixes together and cook as for pastry cream.

good luck. if you're really picky you may need to adjust the sugar amounts depending of the sweetness of your oranges.
also sometimes i like to add a couple drops of orange oil after cooking if it needs a little boost.

Edited by avid, 22 August 2006 - 01:29 PM.

#6 gbbaker

gbbaker
  • participating member
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:12 PM

If you use ultra sperse(waxy maize thickner) it won't get watery like cornstach can. Or you can use both I love the stuff.

#7 Qui

Qui
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:24 PM

If you use ultra sperse(waxy maize thickner) it won't get watery like cornstach can.  Or you can use both I love the stuff.

View Post

where can I find ultra sperse? I will try it out... would you use it just like you would with constarch?

#8 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:28 PM

This doesn't address your original question, but I remember Bill Neal's suggestion (in "Biscuits, Spoonbread and Sweet Potato Pie") to use half lemon and half orange zest and juice in his orange curd recipe. He says that the addition of lemon adds a bright taste and avoids an overly 'cooked' flavor that can result from using all orange in curd recipes.

I've made his lemon curd recipe but haven't tried the orange variation yet myself.

I just noticed that avid's recipe has lemon juice added as well.
"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

#9 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 05:55 AM

If you use ultra sperse(waxy maize thickner) it won't get watery like cornstach can.  Or you can use both I love the stuff.

View Post

where can I find ultra sperse? I will try it out... would you use it just like you would with constarch?

View Post

If cornstarch makes it watery, tapioca starch should not.
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#10 avid

avid
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 02:37 PM

View Post

View Post

If cornstarch makes it watery, tapioca starch should not.

View Post

i've really not had a problem with water seperation even in freeze/thaw situations, at least nothing that would cause any alarm. just make it within a few days of your planned cake building and you should be ok. tapioca starch/waxy maize? keep things simple. the larger your mise en place/ pantry gets the more confusing, disorganized and expensive things get. streamlined and efficient makes a good pastry kitchen!