Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The birth of weeniecello

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 johnder

johnder
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:31 AM

Interesting...

From an articleon chow... The Art of the Shock-tail.

Behind the bar, where the typical bartender macerates pineapple slices in vodka or maraschino cherries in bourbon, the mixologists at the Double Down Saloon in Las Vegas keep an unmarked bottle of vodka in which float several slices of bacon. The off-the-strip dive bar serves its signature Bacon Martini ‘round the clock, and quite a few early-morning lushes inhale the pork-belly libation as if it were a Grand Slam from Denny’s.

One of the advantages of infusing swine is that it’s easy to know when it’s ready: When the booze thickens into an opaque, filmy solution, shake it with ice and pour into a traditional martini glass. Sounds easy enough, but does the Sin City hipster actually prefer the taste of Castrol motor oil to the natural bite of quality Russian water?

I wonder if they read this thread.
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

#62 Sneakeater

Sneakeater
  • participating member
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:41 AM

In combination with this one:

http://forums.egulle...=90748&hl=bacon

#63 johnnyd

johnnyd
  • participating member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:35 PM

It's getting hot in here! (NYTimes Styles 11-19-06)

BACK in August, a man identifying himself as Andrew Fenton of Philadelphia stumped, thrilled and mildly sickened the cocktail wing of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts and Letters, an online forum, by posting news of a creation he called Weeniecello.

Porchetta, on Smith Street in Brooklyn NY weighs in with the Pork Margarita...

Porchetta’s chef, Jason Neroni, late of 71 Clinton Fresh Food, explained the drink’s origins: “We had a ton of skin left over from the pork bellies we serve, a huge batch that everyone was snacking on.”

Since pork fat had infiltrated the dessert menu (in the crust of a lemon-curd tart), why not the drink list?

On a recent Saturday night, more than a third of Porchetta’s patrons ordered this union of aperitif and appetizer, happily straddling the border between the brilliant and the insane.

:wink:

Edited by johnnyd, 19 November 2006 - 02:15 PM.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II
Portland Food Map.com

#64 menon1971

menon1971
  • participating member
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:14 PM

Now that the NYT has blessed it (sort of) I suspect that Weeniecello, and variations thereof, will become the drink of urbane sophisticates everywhere. However, Hebrew National might be too pedestrian. Perhaps a nice artisinal saucisson or sopressata....

I'd try it with the weenies, regardless. :biggrin:

#65 cinghiale

cinghiale
  • participating member
  • 578 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:52 PM

Admin: Threads merged.

Congrats, Andrew. Probably better posted in Fine Spirits and Cocktails board, but thought all Philly eGers should share the love.

Carnivores in Margaritaville

edited to correct the drink's name: Weeniecello -- man that's easier to say than spell

#66 herbacidal

herbacidal
  • participating member
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:07 AM

Andrew Fenton,

You kept this from me?
Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

#67 alacarte

alacarte
  • participating member
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

Hi all! Just a friendly heads-up that Drink Me magazine, a small pub out of San Francisco, is running my article "Blood Thirsty: Carnivorous Cocktails" here: http://drinkmemag.com/ (download issue #6 "Blood Sex Sugar Magic." it's a little annoying to download & no direct link, sorry about that...)

You'll see that I drew much inspiration from this long-ago thread - thanks for all the collective brilliance, and I hope you enjoy the article.

Best,
Kara

#68 filip

filip
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:33 PM

This photo had me cracking up, the frankfurther garnish looks so wrong!

Garnish with a slice of frankfurter.

Posted Image